An Unintended Prediction

Author: Fruit_Inspector

Total: 42
Fruit_Inspector
Debates: 20
Fruit_Inspector
I posted this article nearly 4 months ago after trying to find one of the most ridiculous and extreme examples of how people understand "racism" today:

Just saw this and it seemed relevant to what we talked about. From the article "How America’s treeless streets are fueling inequality":

Trees, and the shade they provide, are actually markers of race and class...According to the data collected by the Texas A&M Forest Service, in Houston’s "medium to high" developed areas, there are an estimated 3.7 trees per person. In similar areas in Austin there are 4 trees per person and in San Antonio there are 7.5.

"There is disparity here. [Houston has] low tree canopy cover and high heat."

This is the mindset of CRT adherents. Seek out disparities between races, attribute those causes to racism that benefits white people, then ignore any alternatives no matter how reasonable they are. Because literally everything is racist. And racist tree planting is just one more reason to tear down our entire economy and give the government more power.

Racist trees...

I really wanted to believe this was just another insane conclusion of today's racial agitators. But what was once an insane conclusion is now a huge line item on our proposed federal spending plan. I've seen two things making the rounds on the internet recently reinforcing this:

1.) Kamala Harris asking about NASA tracking the average number of trees in the context of race for the sake of environmental justice (https://youtu.be/qCOxbFquP2s). I haven't seen the full context of this short clip, but I'm not sure what else she could be talking about other than studying racial tree equity with "space activity."

2.) $3 billion for "tree equity" in the new spending bill (https://docs.house.gov/meetings/BU/BU00/20210925/114090/BILLS-117pih-BuildBackBetterAct.pdf, PDF download)
(2) $3,000,000,000 to provide multi-year, programmatic, competitive grants to a State agency, a local governmental entity, an Indian Tribe, or a non-profit organization through the Urban and Community Forestry Assistance program established under section 9(c) of the Cooperative Forestry Assistance Act of 1978 (16 U.S.C. 2105(c)) for tree planting and related activities to increase community tree canopy and associated societal and climate co-benefits, with a priority for projects that increase tree equity;

These two things are excellent examples of how the same type of activism being promoted in public schools is having real effects on the level of federal government policy.

• Assume systemic racism is normal and pervasive
  • Seek out disparities between racial groups as evidence of systemic racism
  • Enact and enforce policies that eliminate those disparities, regardless of whether they discriminate based on skin color

So while people are playing their semantic word games about whether "CRT is being taught in schools," our federal government is proposing to spend billions of taxpayer dollars based on the same radical activist ideology that underlies what public schools are teaching regarding race and racism. Whether or not you agree with this type of spending, there is no question that there are real and significant consequences of trying to find racism in everything.

So what do you think? Should we spend billions of dollars on issues like "tree equity" to fight racial inequities?

Or should we perhaps rethink our radical redefinition of racism?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Nought so daft as folk.

As the say in Yorkshire.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
So the story is “poor communities have fewer trees”. The solution is “let’s plant more trees in poorer communities.”

The rest appears to be some weird hysteria.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Are you saying we should continue to spend billions of dollars on issues like tree equity?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Are you saying we should continue to spend billions of dollars on issues like tree equity?
Should we spend 3bn over multiple years planting hundreds of millions of trees all across the country to help reduce heat, and to provide environmental and health benefits: sure. 

Do I think there should be a priority for areas that have fewer trees: duh. Who wouldn’t?

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
I suppose you don't have any skin in the game since it appears you are a Canadian. But people who are concerned about government spending and the increasing national US debt should be concerned about this since these types of policies will not stop at tree equity.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Trees are good and more should be planted in urban areas. The rhetoric used to justify the expenditure is extremely cringey but the left is a one trick pony these days, rhetorically speaking. Just because something is presented in a bad way doesn’t make it a bad idea
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@thett3
Trees are good and more should be planted in urban areas.
Do you have a concern with massive government expenditures like planting trees in urban areas by the federal government considering the current US debt situation?

The rhetoric used to justify the expenditure is extremely cringey but the left is a one trick pony these days, rhetorically speaking. Just because something is presented in a bad way doesn’t make it a bad idea
Do you believe that Democrats are justifying policies that discriminate against white people with rhetoric like this? Or what do you mean by it being cringey specifically?
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Ramshutu
So the story is “poor communities have fewer trees”. The solution is “let’s plant more trees in poorer communities.”

The rest appears to be some weird hysteria.
Yes, trees are great. The weird hysteria is called “anti-racism.” If only it involved straightforward problems such as a dearth of trees…

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I suppose you don't have any skin in the game since it appears you are a Canadian. But people who are concerned about government spending and the increasing national US debt should be concerned about this since these types of policies will not stop at tree equity.
I’d be down for planting more trees in Urban areas in Canada that don’t have as many; it’s not like the premise becomes automatically unreasonable when you cross the border. 

But yeah, if there is equality in community environment, what’s next?? Infant mortality? Access to housing? voting rights? Where will it end!

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
I’d be down for planting more trees in Urban areas in Canada that don’t have as many; it’s not like the premise becomes automatically unreasonable when you cross the border.
I only meant that someone who is not an American would not necessarily have the same concerns about the massive national debt as an American. That is a significant factor in analyzing such a policy in the context of the American economy, though not the only one.

But yeah, if there is equality in community environment, what’s next?? Infant mortality? Access to housing? voting rights? Where will it end!
Why should the government enact discriminatory policies in order to ensure equality of outcomes? Because that is the only way to eliminate all disparities between racial groups.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Do you have a concern with massive government expenditures like planting trees in urban areas by the federal government considering the current US debt situation?
Not really, it’s a pretty small portion of the national budget for something that would tangibly improve a lot of peoples lives. The debt will eventually become an issue, especially if interest rates rise from their historical lows, but that will have to come through a combination of tax hikes and spending cuts IMO 

Do you believe that Democrats are justifying policies that discriminate against white people with rhetoric like this? Or what do you mean by it being cringey specifically?
Yes I do believe that. In this case though, I think it’s cringe because they don’t know how to sell anything other than grievance mongering. Not everything has to be an oppression narrative. It’s really simple. Trees are: 

Pretty 
Environmentally beneficial 
The shading lowers temperatures on the streets and side walks which make them more pleasant 
Make people happy 

Urban trees = good

This is a great example of why their rhetorical deficit is bad because planting more trees is something that most people would get behind but when they frame it this way people just oppose it. And I understand why—because they DO use this type of rhetoric to discriminate against white people. 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I only meant that someone who is not an American would not necessarily have the same concerns about the massive national debt as an American. That is a significant factor in analyzing such a policy in the context of the American economy, though not the only one.
It seems that’s only ever an issue when the other side is in power.

Why should the government enact discriminatory policies in order to ensure equality of outcomes? Because that is the only way to eliminate all disparities between racial groups.
So you think planting trees where there aren’t as many trees is racist?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
orangetreebad
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@thett3
Not really, it’s a pretty small portion of the national budget for something that would tangibly improve a lot of peoples lives.
There's a lot of ways we could spend money we don't have to tangibly improve the lives of people. But I think it's easy to dismiss the massive amount of government spending happening when we view it in terms of proportions. For instance, $3 billion dollars is a ridiculously huge amount of money when considered on its own. And I'm guessing that money is being added to the national debt. Wouldn't it be better to stop increasing the debt on things like tree equity?

The debt will eventually become an issue, especially if interest rates rise from their historical lows, but that will have to come through a combination of tax hikes and spending cuts IMO
Why not start spending cuts now? And when will the national debt become an issue in your opinion?

Yes I do believe that.
Well at least we agree on that, which is the main purpose of this post.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
It seems that’s only ever an issue when the other side is in power.
You mean taking issue with increasing the national debt? Some people may only take issue with that when the other side is in power. However, I think the national debt should be a pressing concern for both sides, and both are terrible at addressing it. But I have a bigger issue with what appears to be the justification for spending such large amounts of money. That is, addressing racial inequities such as the concentration of trees.

So you think planting trees where there aren’t as many trees is racist?
What I'm saying is that if the goal is to ensure the equality of outcomes between racial groups, the government must enact discriminatory policies. If white people have more of something, the government must take some of that thing away from white people, give some of that thing to black people, or both until the disparity is eliminated. Such a policy discriminates based on skin color, which most people would consider racist.

If the policy specifically stated that the entirety of that $3 billion must to go to black communities and could not go to white communities, would you consider that policy racist?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
You mean taking issue with increasing the national debt? Some people may only take issue with that when the other side is in power. However, I think the national debt should be a pressing concern for both sides, and both are terrible at addressing it. But I have a bigger issue with what appears to be the justification for spending such large amounts of money. That is, addressing racial inequities such as the concentration of trees.
The money is not a huge investment - the national debt isn’t as bad as people make it sound, and money for planting trees in neighbourhood that don’t have them doesn’t really sound unreasonable does it?

What I'm saying is that if the goal is to ensure the equality of outcomes between racial groups, the government must enact discriminatory policies. If white people have more of something, the government must take some of that thing away from white people, give some of that thing to black people, or both until the disparity is eliminated. Such a policy discriminates based on skin color, which most people would consider racist.
So on the back of a post that blasts the left for making everything about race: you suggest that planting trees in communities that don’t have them is racist? Is the irony lost in you?

If the policy specifically stated that the entirety of that $3 billion must to go to black communities and could not go to white communities, would you consider that policy racist?
But it doesn’t…
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
The money is not a huge investment - the national debt isn’t as bad as people make it sound,
Something tells me you have a lot of personal debt.

and money for planting trees in neighbourhood that don’t have them doesn’t really sound unreasonable does it?
There's nothing inherently wrong with planting trees. However, spending $3 billion that we don't have to fight racism by planting trees sounds very unreasonable. Spending like this is the reason our debt really goes in only one direction.

So on the back of a post that blasts the left for making everything about race: you suggest that planting trees in communities that don’t have them is racist? Is the irony lost in you?
I didn't make it about race. The Guardian article made it about race. Kamala Harris made it about race - and I quote from the previously cited video, "But you can also track, by race, the averages in terms of the number of trees in the neighborhoods where people live..."

Don't think for a moment that "tree equity" is not about addressing disparate outcomes based on racial categories. The Biden administration has already tried to blatantly discriminate with such policies as these, as I will show in my next statement.

But it doesn’t…
That's why I used the word if...

But let's take an actual example then. The Biden administration assigned $4 billion for debt relief for socially disadvantaged farmers (i.e. non-white farmers).
https://www.farmers.gov/loans/american-rescue-plan/faq

This policy gave resources to some people while simultaneously withholding those same resources from others, all based on the color of one's skin.

Was this policy racist?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Something tells me you have a lot of personal debt.
I own a house, so yes. I have also used loans to buy expensive equipment for work, to facilitate earning more money, etc. Having high debt for those reasons is not Implicitly an issue; as it’s using debt for investment - with a tangible material benefit

$10,000 on a credit card for hookers and blow - that’s an issue

and money for planting trees in neighbourhood that don’t have them doesn’t really sound unreasonable does it?
There's nothing inherently wrong with planting trees. However, spending $3 billion that we don't have to fight racism by planting trees sounds very unreasonable. Spending like this is the reason our debt really goes in only one direction.
Yes - if you purposefully try and make something reasonable sound unreasonable - if will sound unreasonable.

It’s not a lot of money, for planting a lot of trees. Planting trees is not a bad thing, you seem to be focused on making it sound bad whilst concurrently avoiding that it isn’t actually that unreasonable.

I didn't make it about race.
You’re telling me a policy of planting trees in communities that don’t have trees is racist.

This type of silly hyperbolae that you’re complaining about. What’s wrong with planting trees in places that don’t have them?

This policy gave resources to some people while simultaneously withholding those same resources from others, all based on the color of one's skin.

Was this policy racist?
That would depend. If, for example, minority farmers had missed out on $4bn in aid in the past due to various historical policies  - I wouldn’t necessarily agree it’s the best approach - but it wouldn't be racist.

If an employer gives black employees an extra $50 because last year a racist boss with held $50 bonuses from minority employees last year - that doesn’t seem unreasonable. The real world has far more complexity than the analogy; but it does broadly illustrate the nature of the issue.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Yes - if you purposefully try and make something reasonable sound unreasonable - if will sound unreasonable.
Or are you trying to make something unreasonable sound reasonable? My statement actually included specific and relevant information. You just focused on the single aspect of tree planting by using vague terms and phrasing. For example:

It’s not a lot of money, for planting a lot of trees.
What is considered to be a lot of money? Because some people would see $3 billion as a lot of money. And how many trees is a lot? Do you know how many trees will actually be planted, and how much will be spent per tree? Will some of that money have to be used for ripping out pavement before planting these urban trees? How will this affect the total amount of tree planting and local pollution? Should we spend $30 billion instead because that is still a relatively small amount compared to how much we're spending?

But the only reason my statement sounded unreasonable is because I was accurately summarizing the spending bill:
  • "There's nothing inherently wrong with planting trees. However, spending $3 billion that we don't have to fight racism by planting trees sounds very unreasonable."

That would depend. If, for example, minority farmers had missed out on $4bn in aid in the past due to various historical policies - I wouldn’t necessarily agree it’s the best approach - but it wouldn't be racist.

If an employer gives black employees an extra $50 because last year a racist boss with held $50 bonuses from minority employees last year - that doesn’t seem unreasonable. The real world has far more complexity than the analogy; but it does broadly illustrate the nature of the issue.
This perfectly illustrates today's antiracism:

"The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination."

(Ibram X. Kendi, How to be an Antiracist)
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
Or are you trying to make something unreasonable sound reasonable? 
I doubt you will find a single person who suggests that planting trees in communities where there are no trees is not a good thing. Given that’s what’s happening - it seems inherently reasonable, no? You even implied the same a few posts ago.

What you’re doing is declaring that it is unreasonable because it’s been pointed out that minorities have disproportionately fewer trees (which is factually accurate)

If we can agree that trees are good; and planting trees in communities that don’t have them is good; and communities not having trees is bad - then you’re agreeing with the problem; the motivation; and the solution.

What is considered to be a lot of money. Because some people would see $3 billion as a lot of money
So given that the problem, the motivation and the solution is largely uncontroversial; the only possibly controversial issue is how much should be spent:

Given health benefits (pollution, encouraging walking, lowering heat), and given the ballpark figure of trees I hear was around 500m trees (everywhere - not just for minorities) - though I am not 100% sure - likely over 10 years - so 400m a year - given Thats about what LA alone spends on park maintenance…

This perfectly illustrates today's antiracism:

"The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination."
So you’re saying, if your black coworkers don’t get a bonus one year because your boss was racist; if the next boss gives those same coworkers a bigger bonus the next year to make up for missing out; you’d shout at him for being racist?

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
I doubt you will find a single person who suggests that planting trees in communities where there are no trees is not a good thing. Given that’s what’s happening - it seems inherently reasonable, no? You even implied the same a few posts ago.
That is not what I implied. I said there is nothing inherently wrong with planting trees. You are trying to make me imply things that are not supported by that statement. There might good reasons not to plant trees in communities without:
  • The environment might not be suitable for tree growth
  • The trees may create a recurring expense for upkeep

What you’re doing is declaring that it is unreasonable because it’s been pointed out that minorities have disproportionately fewer trees (which is factually accurate)
That is a wild assertion, not a fact. But it shows that you are supporting the idea that the government should enforce equality of outcomes based on racial categories.

If we can agree that trees are good; and planting trees in communities that don’t have them is good; and communities not having trees is bad - then you’re agreeing with the problem; the motivation; and the solution.
So given that the problem, the motivation and the solution is largely uncontroversial; the only possibly controversial issue is how much should be spent:
I have not implied any of these things, nor do I agree with them. All I said was that planting trees is not inherently bad, which means that the problem, the motivation, and the solution is not uncontroversial.

Given health benefits (pollution, encouraging walking, lowering heat), and given the ballpark figure of trees I hear was around 500m trees (everywhere - not just for minorities) - though I am not 100% sure - likely over 10 years - so 400m a year - given Thats about what LA alone spends on park maintenance…
Where did you hear those figures?

So you’re saying, if your black coworkers don’t get a bonus one year because your boss was racist; if the next boss gives those same coworkers a bigger bonus the next year to make up for missing out; you’d shout at him for being racist?
I'll answer your question once you actually answer mine:

"The Biden administration assigned $4 billion for debt relief for socially disadvantaged farmers (i.e. non-white farmers).

Was this policy racist?"
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
There might good reasons not to plant trees in communities without:
I agree; given that the money is for community projects rather than forcing all communities, regardless of want or need, to plant trees - it appears this objection is largely moot.

That is a wild assertion, not a fact. But it shows that you are supporting the idea that the government should enforce equality of outcomes based on racial categories.
The “wild assertion”, was actually covered by the Nature study linked in the original story you posted.

Please walk me through the logic of how you got from me believing to “minority communities have fewer trees” to “You believe the government should enforce equality of outcomes.” It’s quite the obnoxious leap there.

The reality is I support more trees for communities that don’t have them. Not unreasonable.

I have not implied any of these things, nor do I agree with them. All I said was that planting trees is not inherently bad, which means that the problem, the motivation, and the solution is not uncontroversial.
Okay then; perfect please walk me through the statement you object to.

- Trees in the community are good.
- Some communities have fewer trees than others
- Communities who have fewer trees getting more trees is a good thing.

Where did you hear those figures?
I heard 500m ish from a source about how many trees need to be planted - so is unlikely to be how many get planted, I can’t find the link now; but it’s largely an asside. As for the second, it’s based on the $4bn number you cited in your budget link was misreading your $3bn number. LA numbers from statista. The rest was maths.

I did in post #19.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
I agree;
Then you have agreed that it is sometimes unreasonable to plant trees in certain communities. This is important for understanding why I disagree with your problem/motivation/solution statements.

Here were your original statements:

If we can agree that trees are good;
Trees are not inherently good, nor is having them in a community always good. As you have agreed, they can be a burden to a community.

and planting trees in communities that don’t have them is good;
Again, you have agreed that there can be good reasons not to plant trees in a community. This means it is not always good to plant trees in communities that don't have them

and communities not having trees is bad
If there can be good reasons not to plant trees in a community, then it is not always bad if a community does not have trees.

then you’re agreeing with the problem; the motivation; and the solution.
As I have shown, I do not agree.

The “wild assertion”, was actually covered by the Nature study linked in the original story you posted.
Is your claim that the Nature study from the article factually proved that minorities have disproportionately less trees than white people throughout the entire US? And not just as an extrapolation, but as a statistical reality?

Please walk me through the logic of how you got from me believing to “minority communities have fewer trees” to “You believe the government should enforce equality of outcomes.” It’s quite the obnoxious leap there.
You said that an unequal distribution of resources (in this case, trees) among racial groups was a problem.

Then, you said there is a motivation to work toward eliminating the unequal distribution of resources. Equity between racial groups is good and should be sought after.

The solution is to distribute more of a resource to one group if they have less of that thing than another group. This creates a more equitable outcome.

You support government intervention for the purpose of creating a more equitable outcome in terms of the distribution of trees among racial groups.

Now before you respond that this is only a single example of such a policy promoting equity, can you answer whether or not you believe that systemic racism is a real problem that needs a solution in the US? Systemic racism being, in general terms, not based on individual thoughts and actions but a permanent feature woven into a society's institutions, policies, and practices. And this question is relevant to the point.

I did in post #19.
My question:
"The Biden administration assigned $4 billion for debt relief for socially disadvantaged farmers (i.e. non-white farmers).

Was this policy racist?"

Your answer:
That would depend. If, for example, minority farmers had missed out on $4bn in aid in the past due to various historical policies - I wouldn’t necessarily agree it’s the best approach - but it wouldn't be racist.

You didn't actually answer the question. You just posed a hypothetical scenario and commented on that. I was looking for a clear yes or no on whether the actual Biden policy cited was racist or not.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector
I agree;
You missed out a key part of my post:

…given that the money is for community projects rather than forcing all communities, regardless of want or need, to plant trees - it appears this objection is largely moot.
Your objection is moot - because lamenting over trees being potentially planted where they maybe a burden, or where they can’t be placed (not that I think such examples  significant to any degree) - is completely undermined by what is actually happening.

The remainder of your objection on this point are therefore moot also.

Chopping out a part of my post that tells you exactly why the remainder of your point is irrelevant; only to reply with the same point - does not exactly encourage me that you’re trying to argue in good faith.

then If we can agree that trees are good;

Trees are not inherently good, nor is having them in a community always good. As you have agreed, they can be a burden to a community.
This is an example of the proving too much fallacy. Arguing that the whole thing is bad because in some very limited hypothetical scenarios circumstances - it is bad. 

Trees have substantial beneficial effects - they reduce heat, provide shade, reduce pollution. In some limited scenarios, they require small amounts of maintenance.

That there maybe very, very limited theoretical circumstances in which planting a tree in a specific. area may have larger downsides than others - does not undermine the overwhelming and obvious benefit trees have in all the other areas where that does not apply.

Your objection absurd on its face.

and planting trees in communities that don’t have them is good;
Again, you have agreed that there can be good reasons not to plant trees in a community. This means it is not always good to plant trees in communities that don't have them
See above: this is reliant on proving too much.

and communities not having trees is bad
If there can be good reasons not to plant trees in a community, then it is not always bad if a community does not have trees., I do not agree.
Again: proving too much. 

I am arguing in general -  not in every single possible case.

Frankly, this whole line of objection is absurd on its face. Please answer those questions again using assuming that I obviously mean “in general” rather than “in every possible case” 

Is your claim that the Nature study from the article factually proved that minorities have disproportionately less trees than white people throughout the entire US? And not just as an extrapolation, but as a statistical reality?
My claim is that the evidence provided by the Nature article renders the premise credible and far exceeds “wild speculation” - as you called it.

You said that an unequal distribution of resources (in this case, trees) among racial groups was a problem.
Not entirely: I’m actually saying that We need to plant more trees - and if we’re doing that, let’s prioritize those who have fewer trees. The idea that tree planting is solely and singly to address racial disparities is a distortion; but let’s carry on.

Then, you said there is a motivation to work toward eliminating the unequal distribution of resources. Equity between racial groups is good and should be sought after.
Trees are good, and communities who have fewer trees should be prioritized - what you’re saying is kinda a stretch, but ok.

The solution is to distribute more of a resource to one group if they have less of that thing than another group. This creates a more equitable outcome.
Ignoring the misrepresentation above; the goal is to plant more trees, and where to plant them is determined by who has them - which is not the same at all.

But let’s run with it

You support government intervention for the purpose of creating a more equitable outcome in terms of the distribution of trees among racial groups.

I think when it comes to planting trees; that if we’re planting trees, they should go to communities who have fewer. What that is the government should prioritize resource allocation based on who needs the resources most not that the government should enforce equality of outcomes.

The latter is just a huge straw man. The first is just putting money where it is needed and can be practically used, the second implies using excess money to enforce parity in the face of practicality.

For example: would I support tens of billions of dollars with the express goal of making every black community have an equal number of trees to white communities regardless of any practical considerations - no.

Now before you respond that this is only a single example of such a policy promoting equity, can you answer whether or not you believe that systemic racism is a real problem that needs a solution in the US? Systemic racism being, in general terms, not based on individual thoughts and actions but a permanent feature woven into a society's institutions, policies, and practices. And this question is relevant to the point.
Yes I do: but the role of the government is to redress disadvantages caused by the consequences of historic and systemic racism  - not to inherently enforce equality of outcomes. There’s a key difference there.

You didn't actually answer the question. You just posed a hypothetical scenario and commented on that. I was looking for a clear yes or no on whether the actual Biden policy cited was racist or not.
Actually, if you pay close attention that’s not what I’m doing. What I’m doing is suggesting that the law alone is not sufficient for me to determine whether the law is racist: it all depends on other contingent factors - such as whether black farm owners have been historically disadvantaged by that amount in the past. That would move it from being racist - where one side is being purposefully disadvantaged because of the colour of their skin, to giving equivalent financial access that was previously being denied to someone due to the colour of their skin.

That’s not posing a hypothetical - that’s stating the precondition for whether the law is racist. I think you’d be very hard pushed to argue that past USDA and state policy over the last 50 years hasn’t disadvantaged black farmers to the tune of at least $4bn given the multitude of issues you can point to.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The Arbor Day Foundation will send you 10 trees for free just saying.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
Chopping out a part of my post that tells you exactly why the remainder of your point is irrelevant; only to reply with the same point - does not exactly encourage me that you’re trying to argue in good faith.
I don't agree to your statements either way, so your point here is moot.

This is an example of the proving too much fallacy. Arguing that the whole thing is bad because in some very limited hypothetical scenarios circumstances - it is bad.
That is not what I did. This link explains a proving too much fallacy to be "an argument that reaches a conclusions which contradicts things that are known to be true, or contradicts the premises in that argument."  https://www.logicalfallacies.org/proving-too-much.html

There are two examples given:
  • All slavery is evil because there are cases where a slave was beaten to death.
  • Fire is a bad thing because there are many fires which burn down property and cost lives.
Let's compare those examples to your argument:
  • Trees are good because they reduce heat, provide shade, reduce pollution.
Do you see the similarity between your claim and the examples above? You are drawing the conclusion that trees are good based on a limited list of effects. Trees also kill people and can do severe damage to property. That doesn't mean that trees are bad, but those are also effects of trees.

Contrary to your accusation of committing a fallacy, I did not actually argue that trees are bad or that planting trees is bad. I said that trees are not inherently good. Nor is planting trees inherently good. The goodness or badness is dependent upon the specific situation, not the trees or the planting of trees. So rather than drawing a conclusion about the goodness or badness of trees necessary to commit the proving too much fallacy, I am simply saying that we should do a cost/benefit analysis before reaching such a conclusion. You are the one using a limited list of effects to declare trees as good and a lack of trees as bad.

My claim is that the evidence provided by the Nature article renders the premise credible and far exceeds “wild speculation” - as you called it.
Is that what I called it?

can you answer whether or not you believe that systemic racism is a real problem that needs a solution in the US?
Yes I do: but the role of the government is to redress disadvantages caused by the consequences of historic and systemic racism  - not to inherently enforce equality of outcomes. There’s a key difference there.
But the very concept of systemic racism assumes that racial disparities are the resultant disadvantages of racism, and therefore must be redressed. Systemic racism (allegedly) results in disparities. How do you eliminate disparities between racial groups except by striving for equality of outcomes?

Actually, if you pay close attention that’s not what I’m doing. What I’m doing is suggesting that the law alone is not sufficient for me to determine whether the law is racist: it all depends on other contingent factors - such as whether black farm owners have been historically disadvantaged by that amount in the past.
And you are doing so based on a definition of racism that is consistent with CRT to justify present discrimination. That is the difference between social justice and actual justice. And that is why you fit Ibram X. Kendi's quote so well:
  • "The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination."
Antiracism is discrimination.
Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The Arbor Day Foundation will send you 10 trees for free just saying.
That sounds much better than a $3 billion charge to taxpayers for tree equity.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Fruit_Inspector

I don't agree to your statements either way, so your point here is moot.
Not really - my point (that you keep ignoring) is that the thing you are objecting to doesn’t apply and so is thus moot.

That is not what I did. This link explains a proving too much fallacy to be "an argument that reaches a conclusions which contradicts things that are known to be true, or contradicts the premises in that argument."  https://www.logicalfallacies.org/proving-too-much.html
I raised a series of points that any rational person would conclude are an on balance, or general statements.

You are disagreeing with those statements on the basis that there are very specific and limited exceptions where or could be bad.

All slavery is evil because there are cases where a slave was beaten to death.
vs the premise of your reply 
You can’t call trees good because there are cases were trees are burdensome.
This is clearly “proving too much” by your own definitions.

Is that what I called it?
Wild assertion - sorry: either way it’s clearly not.

Yes I do: but the role of the government is to redress disadvantages caused by the consequences of historic and systemic racism  - not to inherently enforce equality of outcomes. There’s a key difference there.
But the very concept of systemic racism assumes that racial disparities are the resultant disadvantages of racism, and therefore must be redressed. Systemic racism (allegedly) results in disparities. How do you eliminate disparities between racial groups except by striving for equality of outcomes?
Far be it from me to get in the way of you arguing against the argument you want to oppose - rather than the one I’m making. But the bolded part is pretty key here. There’s a difference between equity of outcome and equity of opportunity. 

In fact. Recall I explicitly spelled out what I mean. It seems you have omitted it from your reply:

I think when it comes to planting trees; that if we’re planting trees, they should go to communities who have fewer. What that is the government should prioritize resource allocation based on who needs the resources most not that the government should enforce equality of outcomes.

The latter is just a huge straw man. The first is just putting money where it is needed and can be practically used, the second implies using excess money to enforce parity in the face of practicality.

For example: would I support tens of billions of dollars with the express goal of making every black community have an equal number of trees to white communities regardless of any practical considerations - no.
It is particularly difficult to argue someone who deliberately omits key passages that specifically clarify what I mean - only to then completely misrepresent the thing I just clarified. 

If you don’t want an argument - just stfu; don’t chop out responses you don’t like because they don’t gel with the argument you want to make.

And you are doing so based on a definition of racism that is consistent with CRT to justify present discrimination. That is the difference between social justice and actual justice. And that is why you fit Ibram X. Kendi's quote so well:

Antiracism is discrimination.
You don’t appear to be grasping the key point here.

Giving people what they were denied due to discrimination isn’t discrimination.

Like I said - if a boss gives denies black employees a bonus; if the next boss then gives the black employees a bonus - it’s not discrimination.

You neatly gloss over the fact it’s not giving one group an advantage over another - it’s giving one group something the other group has already received. 

In fact, you seem to be deliberately going out of your way to avoid this part of my argument, recall:

That would move it from being racist - where one side is being purposefully disadvantaged because of the colour of their skin, to giving equivalent financial access that was previously being denied to someone due to the colour of their skin.
And

if your black coworkers don’t get a bonus one year because your boss was racist; if the next boss gives those same coworkers a bigger bonus the next year to make up for missing out; you’d shout at him for being racist?
And 

If you want to have an intellectually honest discussion; it’s best not to repeatedly ignore the central justifying premise of the thing that you keep trying to claim is unjustified.

Fruit_Inspector
Fruit_Inspector
-->
@Ramshutu
I raised a series of points that any rational person would conclude are an on balance, or general statements.
No you raised a series of assumptions that show you are the one guilty of the proving too much fallacy as I explained.

You are disagreeing with those statements on the basis that there are very specific and limited exceptions where or could be bad.
I have already explained why this is not true.

Wild assertion - sorry: either way it’s clearly not.
The difference in definitions of "speculation" and "assertion" are significant. You have only addressed the strawman "speculation" argument without addressing my actual argument.

Far be it from me to get in the way of you arguing against the argument you want to oppose - rather than the one I’m making. But the bolded part is pretty key here. There’s a difference between equity of outcome and equity of opportunity.
It is particularly difficult to argue someone who deliberately omits key passages that specifically clarify what I mean - only to then completely misrepresent the thing I just clarified. 

If you don’t want an argument - just stfu; don’t chop out responses you don’t like because they don’t gel with the argument you want to make.
For complaining about chopping out responses, I find it strange that you did not even address this part of my response: