Why I support a wealth tax (but just not now)

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 8
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Updates: Billionaire Wealth, U.S. Job Losses and Pandemic Profiteers - Inequality.org states that billionaires have a total of about $5 trillion in wealth.  The vast majority of this wealth comes from the stock market; which grows at 10% per year.  A 10% wealth tax on the billionaires raises about $500 Billion every single year.  The reason why I don't support a wealth tax right now is because if a wealth tax was implemented right now, then we aren't able to generate more money per year in the long term.  Wait a year to implement the 10% wealth tax, and we are able to generate 10% more income the next year and every subsequent year.  Wait another year, and we are able to generate 21% more revenue with the wealth tax per year.  But this only happens if the wealth tax implementation is delayed by enough time.  Also, tax the billionaires at a rate that is more than 10%, and it's unsustainable because their wealth would decrease in the long term which means the wealth tax can't be a permanent source of consistent revenue and will eventually lead to a worsened economy in the long term.  I will only support a wealth tax when less than 10% of the wealth from billionaires would be enough to fund everything the government needs to function.

Our government spends about $5 trillion a year when the economy is in the shape it's in right now (about average; not as good as it was in 2016, but better than it was a year ago) (Current US Federal Government Spending (thebalance.com))

Assuming the government decides not to spend any more on any future social programs adjusted for inflation and assuming the wealth in the stock market increases 10% per year, a 10% wealth tax on billionaires would only fund the government's expenditures by the year 2046.  Even implementing a 10% wealth tax in 2046 is dangerous because of 2 reasons:

1) No room for income growth.  If the federal income is tied solely to the wealth tax and the stock market, then we aren't able to have the federal revenue base grow without an income tax, something that not even democrats want to pay, but they merely tolerate it more than republicans generally.
2) If the economy ever goes into a recession, the government will have to go into debt to pay it off, and there is no money for emergencies.

Because of these reasons, I wouldn't support a wealth tax in 2046 at 10% because it doesn't allow for economic growth and is dangerous if this country goes into a recession.

However, a 7% wealth tax implemented by the year 2055 (assuming things expand at their current rates) would give the US government the ability to do the following:

1) Reduce wealth inequality (something the left wants to do) since this idea targets the billionaires.
2) Eliminate the need for an income tax (something the right wants to do) since the government is funded by taxes paid for by virtually no Americans.

So there is a left wing and right-wing reason to support this idea.

There are some cons to a wealth tax that I don't think stand up to scrutiny.  The Wealth Tax: Pros & Cons | taxlinked.net states some.  They are:

1) Double taxation: I don't care.  If I own stock in McDonalds, eat a burger there, pay a sales tax, and sell the McDonalds stock only to pay a capitol gains tax, that's double taxation.  But nobody cares then.

2) Causes Capital Flight: The solution to this; tell every country in the world that by 2055 to implement a 7% wealth tax on all billionaires in their country and get every country to agree.  The billionaires have nowhere to go to, as their wealth is in the form of electronic stock, and you can change citizenships of countries, but every country would tax your wealth.

3) It’s Tough to Calculate: No it's not.  Whatever the value of their stock and cash assets are; tax them at 7% by 2055.  They will probably make it back since the stock market rises at 10% a year, so they will be fine.

Thoughts DARTers?
BigPimpDaddy
BigPimpDaddy
ben shapiro to kyle kulinski is a big leap.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
Thoughts DARTers?

Cryptocurrency is going to force abolishing wealth and many forms of income tax anyway as the only source of reliable revenue will only be available through sales tax through monitored Point Of Sale devices. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
One assumes that all currency will eventually become device controlled.

Though one also assumes that all currencies will always need to have a central point of reference and coherence.

Which is the same as the ongoing system.

Isn't it?

Vendor and purchaser incompatibility would be counterproductive.

Wouldn't it?

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@BigPimpDaddy
I have been inching away from conservatism gradually.  It's why I roast both sides now.  Kyle Kulinski isn't that left wing.  He's a free speech absolutist, and I respect that.  He also doesn't give a crap about the culture war.  He just wants medicare for all, free college, ending the wars, and a green new deal.  Now granted, I don't agree with him on medicare for all, free college, or the green new deal, but he talks about policy, whereas pretty much everyone else left or right is too focused on the culture war.  Ben Shapiro and the daily wire are too focused on the culture war.

As America is arguing over transgender bathrooms and whether the vaccine or masks are worth it and if BLM is a good organization, or if abortions should be legal, or if the LGBT community has gone too far, or if CRT is being taught in elementary schools, America is $29 trillion in debt by both people who are conservative on social and cultural issues and by people who are left wing on social and cultural issues.  This is because while the American voter is usually well intentioned, the politicians they vote for (whether a D or an R is next to their name) are almost always curropt, they don't represent their base, and they end up serving the interests of their donors instead of the interests of their constituents.  Kulinski calls out corruption from both sides a lot, and I respect him for that.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't know if cryptocurrency will take off.  But the stock market has a better track record than crypto, so I'd rather use the stock market to fund the government.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
Government is already a stock. It's called government bonds.

Bonds have a good track record for holding value with printed money while poor people pick up the tab with inflation.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
For citizens, it's kindof like a stock.  For the government, it's a debt that they need to pay off.

But this is off topic.  Should there be a wealth tax in the future?