PERSONAL QUESTION: Are you a veteran?

Author: oromagi

Total: 19
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I know Ragnar is a veteran but I'm not sure I know for certain that there are other military veterans on this site.  Who here is a veteran of the military?  US or otherwise?
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
Lets stop making veterans by not sending people to these horrible, horrible wars anymore because war is genocide (not pro life), it is not small government (not libetarian), and gives 20% of the vets involved PTSD (not anti pain).

Trump said he would get us out of the wars, and I supported him in this endeavor.  Obama said he would end the wars, and he continued a bunch.  Joe Biden said we would end the wars and we are currently bombing 7 different countries (Which countries is the US currently bombing? — Quartz (qz.com)).

We need a politician that will actually end the wars and the bombings, and I don't care if they call themselves a republican or a democrat.  There are reasons for both parties to be anti war.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
You realize a veteran is anyone that serves it's not just people who have been in war right?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I know.  But in order to stop making veterans, we need to stop sending people to these horrible wars.

I have no problem with most veterans.  I have a problem with the creation of new veterans. 

It's like saying that you have no problem with smokers as people, but you have a problem with the creation of new smokers (ie getting people addicted to cigarrettes).
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
@TheUnderdog
I was in the Navy for 5 years, never went on a ship though, oddly enough.

There's 'going to be an unavoidable war at some point, I'd hazard.
So it seems good to have a military that 'understands war,
Though I admit I 'hate the idea of sending people to a war they'd rather not fight.
Volunteers though, who want to participate in conflict, would be good though.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
There's 'going to be an unavoidable war at some point, I'd hazard.
I think I know how war won't be feasible in the world for the foreseeable future.

If the world became one nation, then we get to save $1.7 TRILLION on the military every year.  That money can go towards a tax cut for working class Americans.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
I hate the idea.

What defines a nation?
"A large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory."
Google tells me.

Eh, humans all pretty related, have a world history, shared culture, laws, inhabit Earth.
Though there's always groups within groups, it seems.

For why I hate the idea though, Ego, Nationalism, Loyalty, Pride.
There's no point in joining with others.
There's a point in 'winning, and my 'own people's values, ideals, culture, and blood being triumphant.

Arguing against the video's point,
I think it misses humanity.
Groups within groups, I say.
Individuals and tribes opposed.
Doesn't matter if it's a country as you and I understand the word common,
Or a gang, a faction.
"he empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide."- Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I 'think

There's 'always going to be factions, 'I think.
Look at the history of Japan, a country of warring factions.
Though maybe I'm too pessimistic.

. . .

I also worry a bit though, about 'one group of individuals having control over everything though.
Having different powers, works as a honeycomb of sorts.
Even if one falls, the others can live and carry on humanity.
Been a 'lot of crazy individuals and ruler groups in history, who've 'really messed up or killed their people before.

(edit)
Still an interesting video,

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Did it ever occur to you that in a one world nation the wars would simply all be civil (as in 'civil war')?
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@oromagi

No, I was a draft dodger like Trump.  Later, I did work for the Navy in Diego Garcia. Anyone else been to The Brit Club there?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
which is why a one-world nation makes no sense
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
I was in the Navy for 5 years, never went on a ship though, oddly enough.

Thank you for your service!

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@TheUnderdog
-->@oromagi
Lets stop making veterans
Easier said than done.

by not sending people to these horrible, horrible wars anymore because war is genocide (not pro life), it is not small government (not libetarian), and gives 20% of the vets involved PTSD (not anti pain).
Also, many people get injured and killed in war.

Trump said he would get us out of the wars, and I supported him in this endeavor. 

A promise Trump utterly failed to deliver while deliberately making withdrawal harder for the next Commander-in-Chief and then exploiting those manufactured difficulties for political effect.  Deeply anti-patriotic.
Obama said he would end the wars, and he continued a bunch. 
Obama inherited two large scale, long standing wars with no escape plan.  As we can see from the way Republicans howled critiques of Biden for doing what no Republican Commander-in-Chief since Lincoln has managed to pull off-ending a war.  Let's remember that the Iraq War was based on evidence manufactured by the Vice-president and that Republicans claimed that Osama bin Laden was the ultimate objective of the War in Afghanistan  but when Obama came to power we discovered that not a single soldier or intelligence agent in the whole Bush Administration was actively seeking that most wanted terrorist in US history.  Obama started a program and caught him in two and a half years.  The War might ought to have ended then but Obama had zero Republican support for ending the War.
Joe Biden said we would end the wars and we are currently bombing 7 different countries (Which countries is the US currently bombing? — Quartz (qz.com)).
This statistic is from 2017.  Donald Trump was the president bombing those 7 countries so that is a dishonest attribution.   Biden authorized two airstrikes on Iranian militants in Syria, both times immediately following attacks on Iraqi bases securing the Syria-Iraq border.  Biden ended US interventions in Afghanistan (including Pakistan) and Yemen.  I generally approve of limited interventions against al-Qaeda terrorists working to overthrow the govts of Somalia and LIbya.  Biden has authorized one airstrike in Somalia during his first year in office. Biden promised to end Forever Wars and has fulfilled that promise in his first year in office.
We need a politician that will actually end the wars and the bombings, and I don't care if they call themselves a republican or a democrat. 
The current Commander-in-Chief has ended the longest war in US history- an achievement no Republican can claim since Lincoln.  If you are antiwar then you should always vote Democrat.

There are reasons for both parties to be anti war.
Agreed.  But only one party has any kind of firm ideology or platform or plan regarding American  peace and security.  The Republican platform these days is 100% what Trump wants now.

15 days later

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
If you are antiwar then you should always vote Democrat.
There are democrat and republican Hawks and Doves.

My main issue is the US debt ($29 trillion of insanity).

If every billionaire was taxed at 100% of their wealth, it pays for about a third of the debt.

We have a spending problem initiated by Joe Biden and the radical left (and Trump and the radical right).

I need to run for president to do something about the debt, like implement the following plan to get us out of debt:
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
One World nation makes loads of sense Doc.

It's just that humans are far from sensible.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
And in my opinion the term Veteran has  become a sad reflection of human society.

Ex Soldier formally employed by the State.

Get a job, move on.

Stop making a song and dance.

And don't expect me to be impressed.

Veterans of WW2, were the last to deserve real praise for their service to Country and freedom.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
many groups dont like each other, hasnt persian sunnis and arabian sunnis been fighting for like 1500 years?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
For sure Doc.

Look at Afghanistan now.

Taliban V Isis.

Never one big happy family.

And of course, the Taliban are now our mates again.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
one world nation wont work
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Especially if we mean in 2021 and not hundreds of years in the future, I certainly agree with you on that.