NBA teams change their jerseys too much

Author: Double_R

Total: 4
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
Just saw the new Orlando Magic black and orange, like WTF is that? Feels like a completely different team, and they don’t just switch the jerseys, they have a whole alternate home court.

It’s just the latest example, but I feel like over the years and these last few in particular I can’t keep up with what anyone is wearing. I’ve always thought branding was very important in sports, and while this may increase jersey sales in the short run I think long term it is very harmful to the league.

Anyone else think the same, or is it just me?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Double_R
I like the designs of the jerseys. Needless to say I care more about the performance than the jerseys

Go Bulls
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Vader
Fair enough, but do you think there is merit to my point about branding? I find that teams switching their jerseys so often leaves me with a sense of blankness (is that really a word?) when it comes to thinking of the image of the player. When I think of Micheal Jordan, the Red Bull’s jersey with that number 23 is what I think about. When I think of Lebron James during his Cleveland years, the only image that comes to mind is Lebron James. They wore so many jerseys none of them stick out to me. 

In the short run this isn’t important, but I believe in the long run it could do a lot of damage to the league. Sports is all about branding and imagery. Look what happened to baseball during the 70’s and 80’s…
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Double_R
To a degree yes. If a team were to majorly rebrand itself despite having a classic logo, it would be heinous and ruin their brand. However I rarely see classic NBA teams do as such. Sure the Magic have done that, but when we think of the original NBA teams that are iconic, I don't think Magic come to mind. 

You also have to look at the commonality of such events. The Magic case is their alternate jerseys they won't typically wear. If they were to rebrand their main jersey, then there would be issues