the fantasy based religions

Author: Lunar108

Total: 83
Lunar108
Debates: 0
Lunar108

if your religion tell stories about magic , or magical creatures , or about people with super powers then you've been lied to
this include : reviving the dead , stones walking , people flying . animals talking , walking on water , walking in the air , angels , devils , dragons , fairies, going to outer space on flying donkeys ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,etc
spoiler alert : our world is science based NOT magic . fantasy , or supernatural based world in case you didn't know
note that god will not reverse the direction of gravity no matter how hard you pray or how strong your faith is , this applies to all the humans on the world .
under the same logic if you're expecting god to interfere with the world just to solve your problem then you're in for a big disappointment .
god is just a judge who would judge people if they are good the meet a good end , reincarnate , go to heaven,,,,,,,,no one know but he will treat them good
bad people would meet bad in the afterlife or in their next life or whatever
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why is it that people are willing to believe magical stories that they would have dismissed as nonsense once they are mentioned under religion ,
many of the stories mentioned under religion are just crazy and if you remove the religious background of the story it would be placed under fiction and if someone came and told the story - without the religion- , you would probably tell them that they are lying , because such thing can't happen at the world
or at the very least not on our world .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when I hold the bible or the quran and read them , I feel like I'm living in a magical world like I've entered the world of harry potter.
but when I look at reality I remember that I'm living in a science based world , and magic just doesn't exist ,
many of the stories mentioned in religion wouldn't be believed by anyone if you remove the religious background of it and if someone came to you and told it to you and said something like this really happened in the world , you would be like WTF man at least try to keep the lie within the believable limits so ,since when did our world have such fantasy based elements ?
is our world based on magic like how those holy books portray  it ?
splitting the red sea with a cane ?
talking with animals ?
going to outer-space (and beyoned) on the back of living being ? (how did they breath out there)
flying on swords ?
splitting the moon ? (no one saw it , very irresponsible move that would have left our planet moonless and effected the tides)
walking on water ?
reviving the dead (why the F*** are they talking about mundane daily life stuff/ shouldn't they be like " you should believe in god , hell is real , heaven is real , and spend every second worshiping since they found the truth ?)?
so much more illogical stories that have been achieved by the people who lived thousands of years ago
=======================================================================================
now think about those stories , someone came to you and told you did you know our neighbor split the red sea with a cane would you take him seriously   ?
or he went to outer space on the back of a donkey would you believe that
or split the moon
or revived the dead from their graves
==========================================================================================
why is we accept those stories when they come from religion but without religion they become just nonsense
is our world magic based ?,
does our world have such a thing ?,
is our world not science based ,
why don't you people replicate any of those acts ? , feel free to use your faith in any way you like to achieve that .
religion is evil because it's either deceiving people or being (allowing) deceived by people .

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
You can't separate a philosophy that you think is hate filled from the people who practice it. No one says white supremacy sucks but I can hang out with white supremacist. I am sure atheists will say "sure we can" but that's a lie. No one does that. So you can say it to please some here,  I know better. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Magic is just based on science that has not been well-understood. If you bring an iPhone to the middle ages, they will probably think you are a wizard and sentence you to death.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
why don't you people replicate any of those acts ?
Well, because our understanding of science is simply not enough to replicate those acts. We can't even go faster than light.

Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@Intelligence_06
intellagence
how much of science is needed to reach that far ?
if someone came and said the iphone existed in the stone age would you believed him
some of those actions can't be achieved today with the technology and yet they are done by people who lived in stone/bronze age
many others are very hard even with technology , the red sea's max depth is 2,211 m and someone split it with a cane do you know how crazy that is
witch
yes you can
hating the religion doesn't mean hating people who follow it ,we judge people based on their personalities not their religions
but we judge religions based on their teachings , god/gods , ideologies , history and many other things
I'm talking about religion and racist ideologies
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Lunar108
Myths did not happen on Earth. They happen in spirit realms. They are not fact but they are not false. Have said this before. Gods don't walk the Earth like they do in myth or we could see them in physical form. They exist in realms accessed by shaman who tell the stories.

You think people separate their personality from their deep religious belief? 
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Lunar108
Isn't the theory of evolution just magic? Or the big bang for that matter? First there was nothing - and then nothing exploded for no particular reason.  

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
Sorry I don't address all your argument,
You say a lot,
So I respond to what I judge the gist.

My mother tried paying with a Susam B Anthony Dollar once, fast food worker had to get her manager, to make sure it was real.

Some science, history, claims,
Rests more on belief, trust, than in rigorous and scientific testing by the individual.

Some people take some writings as allegory.

Some writings explain the action to take in response to circumstance, though the understanding of 'why may not have yet been.
Cleanliness in some religions (Germs),
Moral outrage over incest (Bad Genes),
Homosexuality (Brutal world where many people died, and societies that had kids may have been more successful)
Servitude (Brutal world, where resources could be scarce, where various forms of government, economics, structure had not been developed)

Religions, look to me, to change to extents, based on people, time, circumstance.
'More than 'just a neverchanging narrative, in some fantastic story.

Do the participants in the telephone game lie, when they play,

If I misjudge the weather,
When you ask if it's raining,
I say yes, though it turns out it wasn't,
It 'was looking like a drizzle 5 minutes ago, I was sure.
. . .
Lunar108
Lunar108
-->
@Tradesecret
1. I think you haven't read enough about the evolution theory , it has many powerful evidence  supporting it including:
a. the similarity between embryos between different species
b.the chimps dna is 98% similar to that of humans , I don't intent to list the similarity between us and other species and between each species but looking at it you will find a step by step evolution from creatures living underwater to living in both water and land to living on land
c. the similarities between human's skeleton and chimpanzee's skeleton
d.the eyes and how similar they are to simple organs that can detect light.
: here are mentioned more evidences that support the evolution theory
unlike the creation theory where adam and eve got send out of heaven by god the evolution theory have strong evidence supporting it
unless god chose 2 chimps and blessed them turning them into adam and eve 
2. big bang : that's why it's still a theory and it's not the only theory explaining the beginning of the universe , there's also the Black hole cosmology
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Lunar108
I would not believe there is an iPhone 10000 years back because it is invented in 2008. There is just no record of anything close to it in the underground layers of rock. I don't think there is any archaeological evidence that someone split ocean with a cane either. I think, although, that it is theoretically possible to split ocean with a cane, it would simply be too wasteful to do so.

I don't need to be religious to be moral either. That is why I am secular. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Myths are developed and recorded human exaggerations Poly.

Just like shaman.

And spirit realms etc.

But what ever floats ones boat.

And I like the new avatar.

I've a penchant for those sort of kiddies picture book images.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Tradesecret
Isn't the theory of evolution just magic?
It might seem like magic for a Young Earth Creationist. What’s magical about it? 

Or the big bang for that matter? First there was nothing - and then nothing exploded for no particular reason.  
The Big Bang theory is about the history of the universe in its early stages. Not what caused cosmic inflation.
Scientists will admit they’re not certain. It’s okay to admit when you don’t know.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lunar108

note that god will not reverse the direction of gravity no matter how hard you pray or how strong your faith is

And who is it that you believe would "pray"  for such a thing?

why is it that people are willing to believe magical stories that they would have dismissed as nonsense once they are mentioned under religion ,

Who does that?

many of the stories mentioned under religion are just crazy and if you remove the religious background of the story it would be placed under fiction.

If you remove the miracles from the bible, NT for instance, you may be left with a reasonably believable story of a man that was believed by some and himself to be a king and heir to a real nation. And that was prepared to die for his Jew kingdom and his own Jew people. As many kings of all nations  did back then.

when I hold the bible or the quran and read them , I feel like I'm living in a magical world like I've entered the world of harry potter.

Remove the magic and so called miracles and you may be reading about real historical events. There again, the words "magic" and "miracle" could have meant something entirely different back then and only understood by the elite educated few or initiated. The genius of the few , so to speak.

did our world have such fantasy based elements ?

Only to the ignorant and uneducated of the time that you are referring to.

why is we accept those stories when they come from religion but without religion they become just nonsense.

Who are the "we"?  I for one don't accept those stories in the manner in which they have come down to us. 

religion is evil because it's either deceiving people or being (allowing) deceived by people .

I'd call it legalised fraud myself but there is always a sucker around every corner to be suckered. Its a numbers game, you see. And you can get anyone to believe anything when you invent a game that relies on numbers of gullible people of which their are millions, the inventor of the game can't lose even in our modern times. It is rigged in the inventors favour.  Numbers, numbers, numbers is the name of the game. Didn't you know that? Well now you do.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists should be glad there are theists. You know who you are better than. Your whole identity is based on it. You're welcome.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Never sure if you're replying to me Poly.

Perhaps you could tap the reply button if you are.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@Lunar108
I agree that we should reject all fantasy when thinking of religions.

Gnostic Christianity did so when we called Yahweh a vile demiurge.

Even as many see all Christians as supernatural believers, Gnostic Christians have no supernatural beliefs.

Our myths and holy books were written to put against the Christian ones when everyone basically know that there was no supernatural.

I hope you can see how intelligent the ancients were as compared to the mental efforts that modern preachers and theists are using with the literal reading of myths.

https://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Further.
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about the literal reading of myths.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Matt 7;12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

This is how early Gnostic Christians view the transition from reading myths properly to destructive literal reading and idol worship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02ciandvg&feature=BFa&list=PLCBF574D

Regards
DL

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Well.

To whom it may concern.

Gnostic Christianity is a contradiction in terms, founded upon the fantasy of a GOD and Christ.....Which was founded upon all myth and fantasy, that preceded it.

Just another more or less unrealistic version of the same thing.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@zedvictor4
The same thing??

I see you do not know Gnostic Christianity.

Lesson 1.

No supernatural beliefs.

Lesson 2.

My god is likely the same as yours, only better, in terms of knowledge of what Gnostic Christianity is all about.

Modern Gnostic Christians name our god "I am", and yes, we do mean ourselves.

You are your controller. I am mine. You represent and present whatever mind picture you have of your God or ideal human, and so do I.

The name "I Am" you might see as meaning something like, --- I think I have grown up thanks to having forced my apotheosis through Gnosis and meditation and “I am”, represents the best rules and laws that we have found to live by.

In Gnostic Christianity, we follow the Christian tradition that Christians have forgotten that they are to do. That is, become brethren to Jesus.

That is why some say that the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.

Here is the real way to salvation that Jesus taught.

Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Allan Watts explain those quotes in detail. 
Alan Watts - On The Book of Eli - YouTube

Joseph Campbell shows the same esoteric ecumenist idea in this link. 
On Becoming an Adult - YouTube

The bible just plainly says to put away the things of children. The supernatural and literal reading of myths.

Regards
DL 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
No supernatural beliefs.

What actually is GOD?
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@zedvictor4
As I said above, I am my own teacher and moral guide and master.

So are you if you can define your god/master/yourself, as the highest authority over you.

I thought I said that well above, but perhaps failed.

Allen Watt's seems to have failed here as well. 

Regards
DL

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
So GOD is that which might give purpose to everything.

Or on the other hand, that which I have become from data acquisition and analysis....Which may or may not have any other greater purpose.....Or be relative to any other greater purpose...AKA GOD principle.

So not withstanding that Gnostic Christian is a contradiction in terms.

You're sort of a theistic atheist.....If that weren't contradictory enough.

I suppose it all boils down to which label best represents our own personal version of human  ignorance.

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@zedvictor4
A belief position label is getting harder to nail down.

Atheists Are Sometimes More Religious Than Christians
A new study shows how poorly we understand the beliefs of people who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular.

Americans are deeply religious people—and atheists are no exception. Western Europeans are deeply secular people—and Christians are no exception.

These twin statements are generalizations, but they capture the essence of a fascinating finding in a new study about Christian identity in Western Europe. By surveying almost 25,000 people in 15 countries in the region, and comparing the results with data previously gathered in the U.S., the Pew Research Center discovered three things.

First, researchers confirmed the widely known fact that, overall, Americans are much more religious than Western Europeans. They gauged religious commitment using standard questions, including “Do you believe in God with absolute certainty?” and “Do you pray daily?”

Second, the researchers found that American “nones”—those who identify as atheist, agnostic, or nothing in particular—are more religious than European nones. The notion that religiously unaffiliated people can be religious at all may seem contradictory, but if you disaffiliate from organized religion it does not necessarily mean you’ve sworn off belief in God, say, or prayer.

The third finding reported in the study is by far the most striking. As it turns out, “American ‘nones’ are as religious as—or even more religious than—Christians in several European countries, including France, Germany, and the U.K.”

“That was a surprise,” Neha Sahgal, the lead researcher on the study, told me. “That’s the comparison that’s fascinating to me.” She highlighted the fact that whereas only 23 percent of European Christians say they believe in God with absolute certainty, 27 percent of American nones say this.

America is a country so suffused with faith that religious attributes abound even among the secular. Consider the rise of “atheist churches,” which cater to Americans who have lost faith in supernatural deities but still crave community, enjoy singing with others, and want to think deeply about morality. It’s religion, minus all the God stuff. This is a phenomenon spreading across the country, from the Seattle Atheist Church to the North Texas Church of Freethought. The Oasis Network, which brings together non-believers to sing and learn every Sunday morning, has affiliates in nine U.S. cities.

Last month, almost 1,000 people streamed into a [Atheist] church in San Francisco for an unprecedented event billed as “Beyoncé Mass.” Most were people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. Many were secular. They used Queen Bey’s songs, which are replete with religious symbolism, as the basis for a communal celebration—one that had all the trappings of a religious service. That seemed completely fitting to some, including one reverend who said, “Beyoncé is a better theologian than many of the pastors and priests in our church today.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...theists-religious-european-christians/560936/

Regards
DL

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
Yes, just the the other day I told myself that I am God. This concept of God can be described as anthropomorphic. That is to say, God is a being like ourselves in the fundamental respect that we are both – God and ourselves - persons. But whereas we are finite, created, dependent persons, God is an infinite, eternal, uncreated and omnipotent Person. Some theologians, uncomfortable with such an explicitly anthropomorphic characterization, say that God is not a person, but rather is personal. But this is a distinction without a difference. We cannot conceive of a personal being who is not a person. And we know what a person is only because we are ourselves persons. God, then, is like us – or rather we are like God – in this very basic respect.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@zedvictor4
"You're sort of a theistic atheist.....If that weren't contradictory enough."

An atheist will likely say that there is likely no supernatural god.

He would be correct IMO.

Knowing that most of us think in materialistic duality, body/soul way, ---- perhaps natural in our dualistic world, ---- and are born thinking ourselves the fittest in our lines, ---- a reality, ---- we would also think we were the fittest immaterial soul around.

The only reason I put Gnostic Christians above atheists, is that we led the way in showing atheists that the fellowship we all crave, will be given to their children by the stupid supernatural believing churches, and we knew enough to give our children,  a place to get fellowship without the brain dulling supernatural.

Tribalism/religionism are our human default positions, and atheists will cater to their children to save their mentality and morality.

Regards
DL

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
We are indeed like Gods.

In terms of creating the best rules and laws for us, and seeking the ideal set, we cannot help being what we invent.

Gods were not always supernatural.

Ancient emperors declared themselves to be Gods, and their sons, sons of god.

IMO, supernatural thinking is synonymous with stupid thinking.

Regards
DL 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop
We are indeed like Gods.
I would like to point out that not all Humans are like Gods. The Humans that are like Gods are those that are like Jesus. As I have said in a previous topic there is Worm Man and Intelligent Man. Intelligent Man is like Jesus because intelligence usually goes hand in hand also with empathy, ethical values and dignity. IQ and EQ usually go hand in hand.
The reason is simple. Highly intelligent people are able to analyze their thoughts and emotions, they are able to perceive the same effects on others and they are able to imagine how the other person might feel. Low IQ people tend to be rude, impolite and emotionally dulled. They seldom also develop higher ethical levels than 2 or 3 on Kohlberg’s scale.

On this site, some of the Gods are  zedvictor4, Stephen, Reece101, Intelligence_06, RationalMadman, Lunar108 and of course, you.

GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
The Humans that are like Gods are those that are like Jesus.

Holy fuck, I hope you are wrong.

Yahweh had his Noah genocide and Jesus will have his Armageddon.

We like the Gnostic Jesus. He is a good person who wants to free us from religions, not slave us to one. 

We have to dislike the Jesus Constantine chose. Belief in him created the inquisitions. 

Armageddon would be proof that Jesus is evil. Right?

Regards
DL
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@GnosticChristianBishop

This is the Jesus I am talking about. Maybe it is the Gnostic Jesus. Jesus was perfectly selfless in everything He did. Flowing unceasingly from Him, kindness was His lifestyle. He took notice for the cause of the needy, intentionally and consistently seeking them out, even when He was tired and weary. Without partiality, He was kind to everyone, even if they didn't “deserve” it.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Look at atheists arguing over who is more like God/Jesus. The envy is hysterical.
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@FLRW
That is not the Rome created Jesus.

That Jesus/Yahweh  has poor moral policies.

Just look at his no divorce for women and substitutional punishment policies.

Those are quite immoral and the tip of the iceberg.

Roll in Armageddon, and he becomes as big of a prick as Yahweh.

Regards
DL