The Resistance - Mission One

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Read-only
Total: 78
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Just under 900 years ago (around 1200 years on the old Earth calendars) the New Era project, the most massive and expensive undertaking in the history of mankind, was declared complete. After two centuries of sustained effort a new world, Elpizo, had become the first self-sufficient exoplanetary colony. The naysayers had derided the idea as completely unnecessary from the start, and from a practical standpoint they were right of course. What was the real economic point of large-scale colonization at the bottom of a .8g gravity well when a few thousand orbital habitats could do the job just fine at a fraction of the cost? It was the first exoplanet that had come within humanities sphere of influence that had close enough to Earth Like conditions for such a project to even be considered, however, and of course in the middle of a new golden age people can afford to be less than practical.

If only your ancestors could see what their world would become.

Not even professional historians have all the details, but somehow a Kessler Syndrome event was triggered and the wider galactic community cut off contact with all settlements in the system in the third century NEC (New Era Calendar, the standard on Elpizo). What happened next was, given the economic self-sufficiency of the world, tragically avoidable. Lacking any interstellar ships of their own the citizens of the world had no way of investigating the mystery and  were forced to forge their own paths. Over the centuries the governments of the smaller but wealthier western continent slowly grew corrupt and wasteful, while in the larger more arid eastern continent an imperialistic tyranny calling itself the Hegemony of Odigos would rise to power in 747 NEC and unite the continent under its rule within just twenty years. For over a century the Hegemony has ruled with an iron fist. This is where our story begins.

Current year: 889 NEC

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Earth
@ILikePie5
@oromagi
PM formats are public to limit the possibility of reads based on them…

Spy format:

Affiliation: Hegemony Spy
Partner: (Partner name)
Date of Birth: XX/XX/XXX (not relevant to gameplay)
Real bio: (Flavor text)
Cover story bio: (flavor text)

Resistance format:

Affiliation: Resistance
Date of Birth: XX/XX/XXX (not relevant to gameplay)
Bio: (flavor text)

Stages of Play:

Stage 1 - One player is made mission leader by the mod. Mission leader is given a mission and required to make a list of players to go on this mission. Discussion is allowed between players but the mission leader has final say over who is in the mission list.

Stage 2 - Discussion of the list put forward by mission leader is allowed, all players are required to vote on whether to accept this proposed list or reject it. If The vote to accept wins then Play proceeds to stage 3. If the vote to accept fails then play restarts at stage 1 with the next player in line as new mission leader. If the vote fails 5 times in a row then spies/scum win the game.

Stage 3 - The mission takes place and if any spies are on the mission they are given the opportunity to sabotage the mission. Spies are not required to sabotage a mission that they are on. If a mission is sabotaged the spies gain one point. If the mission is not sabotaged the resistance gains a point. Either way play is moved to stage one for a new mission until one team has three points. First to three points wins.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
@Vader
@whiteflame
Mission One

For over a century the Hegemony has faced enemies and resistance on many fronts. Recently, however, these groups have been working more and more closely together. The Alliance of New Hope started in 886 NEC as an organization whose purpose was to aid the cooperation between various anti-government groups but gradually took form as its own entity. Just weeks ago diplomatic talks concluded between various rebel leaders to formally merge a significant portion of each others assets with the intention of finally overthrowing the Hegemon and bringing down the Hegemony. While this unprecedented level of cooperation finally allows the opportunity to complete this goal it also means all the rebels eggs are now in one basket, and there is concern that this may be exactly what the Hegemony wants. Regardless, the decision has been made and the first order of business is to get the news to the public. The plan is to hijack a media broadcast tower and play a prerecorded message on the airwaves. The hope is that this will inspire more resistance across the eastern continent and legitimize the movement in the eyes of secret backers in the western continent that have been reluctant to fund the relatively new organization.

The first mission leader is Earth

Player list:

1) Earth
2) IlikePie5
3) oromagi
4) Rationalmadman
5) SupaDudz
6) whiteflame

RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
Put me on the mission, please.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Just proofread my work and saw that I missed an important detail. The first mission needs two(2) players to go on it. No more, no less.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Earth
I'm fine either way. Put me on the mission or don't, Earth. I think I'll be able to take something from it either way.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
Major scumtell.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Scum
WF

Resistance
RM
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Earth
make the team myself with someone who isn't WF
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
You do you. Not really interested in engaging with what is and isn't a scum tell at this stage. Too much WIFOM, but if that's your MO, so be it.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
Give a single reason why, as Resistance, you would hesitate to insist being on the first team?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
My first time playing so don't be afraid to point out the obvious to me......

So, we are waiting for Earth to pick one other player for this mission.  Can we read anything into the fact that Earth was selected to lead first mission?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
no, he picks 2, idk if he is allowed to pick himself
oromagi
oromagi
Are our bios just window dressing or relevant to game play?  Can we share bios at will?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Earth
@RationalMadman
@oromagi
Points of clarification:

1) Earth IS allowed to choose himself for the mission.
2) Earth is NOT REQUIRED to pick himself for the mission (if he wants he can pick two people that are not him).

Feel free to share or hide PM bios, though please avoid copy pasting them just like in mafia. They are just flavor text and not relevant to the gameplay.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
Give a single reason why, as Resistance, you would hesitate to insist being on the first team?
Because pushing to be locked into one of the two roles on the mission is something that the spy would do as well. There's reason for both parties to want to be on the mission, dude, and that's to earn points. I prefer a "wait and see" approach to get a feel for how this game plays out and to see how various people respond to the call for our first mission. That's why I hesitate.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
if it fails it is 1/2 who is the spy out of the 2. Spy should ultimately want out of first mission.
oromagi
oromagi
If I were mission leader, I guess I'd pick myself and one other.  If sabotaged, I'd know one spy for sure.  If not sabotaged, point for Res and likely Res ally.
oromagi
oromagi
Can we lynch known spies?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
For this game I support that.

The only one problem is that if we set that as the site's meta for this game it's so unfair on spies in the future who happen to be the first team leader.

I support it, regardless but don't think this meta is optimal even from the Resistance perspective as it doesn't really help much.

I would really like to be on the team with someone who isn't Earth and isn't whiteflame. I want to see who he picks, it will tell me more later at a crucial stage if the other person picked is spies/scum.

I am down to be with Earth but it will naturally be assumed now that I am the scum if Earth is. Which I immensely dislike as precedent for the rest of the game because I am not truly sure of my scumread on whiteflame (but I am quite sure) and won't want to bet the game on an Earth-WF team.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
Perhaps so. Or, a spy would want into the first mission, refuse to sabotage it, and make themselves look entirely clean. They'd be brought onto future missions, and have an opportunity to point the finger at new members on those missions.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
there is no eliminating players, you send on missions and vote AGAINST teams that the spies setup to defend, it's the only way.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
I would not opt to do that, I'd have faith my partner could hardcarry and play a clever game avoiding blame for the failure. I would not want to put myself at huge risk.

Only 2/6 means 1/3 of us ('us' if I were a spy) would be there to stop the Resistance steamrolling following that and people would be skeptical regardless exactly due to what you said (which I intentionally didn't talk about and it's odd your mind went there).

I am now more certain WF is a spy. He is considering is more likely that the spies would not sab the first mission if on it and yet couldn't care less about himself being on the team.

Contradictory logic/betting.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman

there is no eliminating players
  • rats. 
  • life follows art again. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I would like Oromagi and me to be the team, personally.
whiteflame
whiteflame
Yep, and here we go with the WIFOM. Dude, if you want to push the narrative that I'm one of the spies for saying that I'd rather sit back and see what happens during the first mission, be my guest. There's nothing contradictory in the logic I'm giving. A spy would have a solid motivation to not sabotage in the first mission. You might do it anyway because you apparently would have faith in your partner carrying you through the rest of the game. Of course, that would mean that you as a spy would have every reason to want to get on the first mission, which you have actively stated you want to be.

But I'm done with this shit, dude. If you don't want me in the mission, fine. I said I don't care either way and I really don't. If you want to play this kind of game, go right ahead. I don't feel any need to defend myself.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
I'm fine either way. Put me on the mission or don't, Earth. I think I'll be able to take something from it either way.

Perhaps so. Or, a spy would want into the first mission, refuse to sabotage it, and make themselves look entirely clean. They'd be brought onto future missions, and have an opportunity to point the finger at new members on those missions.
What kind of game am I playing? Why are you so angry? If you think I am a spy for my pressuring and reasoning, explain why unemotionally. Rage during an argument is a scumtell, especially from a guy as smart as you.

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Earth
@Vader
@ILikePie5
Anyway, I have no interest in dragging this out with RM. We've had 3 of us speak up so far, no word from Pie, Earth or Supa. I'm more interested in hearing from them.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I play high-pressure in social-deduction games. It's always optimal in the long run, always unpleasant for those in the game and always forces everyone to leak tells.

It's up to you to pressure me back well. You can hate me for my playstyle and socially exclude me from games, that's fine. I play to win, not to make friends, that's not what a game to win is about for me.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
I'm not angry, dude. None of what I've said was said out of anger. I'm annoyed that you're clinging to this so strongly, but I'm used to it from previous mafia games with you, so I'm honestly just frustrated that it's the sole source of discussion so far. Maybe that's because there are only three of us in the conversation and I'm just the one who spoke up first after you about my inclinations.

I don't think you're a spy. I'm not going to play that game, either.