Racebaiting infotainment outlet pays millions in settlement

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 12
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

A huge setback for racebaiters all over the nation.
dfss9788
Debates: 2
dfss9788
Well who knows what they really settled for. I've talked to corporate lawyers before about their settlement strategy. It's usually to keep dragging things out until the other side gets in a financial bind and needs the money.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dfss9788
We can only gauge the amount by Sandman's notorious smile.
thett3
thett3
-->
@dfss9788
Well who knows what they really settled for. I've talked to corporate lawyers before about their settlement strategy. It's usually to keep dragging things out until the other side gets in a financial bind and needs the money.
Whatever he got it definitely wasn't in the multimillions. At least I seriously doubt it was because he already got a settlement from another media company. If I were in his shoes and just won five mil in a settlement I'm going all the way to trial in my other lawsuits so that we can have discovery. Media personalities and celebrities at the time were publicly all but calling for him to be lynched (demanding his name and address) so I imagine some employees of these networks made some truly vile comments behind closed doors that would be found during discovery. 

However I do know that there was some drama between his former lawyers over the settlement money so it isn't nothing. He's most likely he's getting a few hundred thousand with each settlement if I had to guess
thett3
thett3
Actually this is his third settlement. My guess is that he walked away with a few hundred k after lawyer fees. And because of what happened to him, he will be able to get a nice sinecure at any right wing organization if he so chooses. So overall I think he walks away with a win, but I wish these media companies were severely punished for what they did to an innocent child
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@thett3
I wish these media companies were severely punished for what they did to an innocent child

The reason his settlements were so small (I'm guessing like 100K each) is specifically because there were no damages and the information was corrected really quickly. If anything this bolstered his popularity and future earning potential. I'd venture to guess it was the best thing to ever happen to him. 

Think about all the people who are falsely accused and/or imprisoned and actually have their lives ruined. They walk away with nothing but trauma if they're lucky enough to walk away. That's why people made a big deal over Trump taking out a full page ad in the New York Times to falsely accuse the Central Park 5 of murder. His supporters were like "meh" but think disparaging Nick Sandmann's name is just awful. Just the worst. Just unforgiveable. 

Danielle
Danielle
If you want to see real journalism, stick to Breitbart News, not the elites. Here's a gem from 4 days ago. 

"Of the 15 agents who died in 2021, 13 died in the line of duty as a result of COVID-19. Two were killed in vehicle-related accidents.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
That's why people made a big deal over Trump taking out a full page ad in the New York Times to falsely accuse the Central Park 5 of murder. His supporters were like "meh" but think disparaging Nick Sandmann's name is just awful. Just the worst. Just unforgiveable. 

So why didn't you (or anyone)  contact the CP5 and file a lawsuit then? You could have made millions too  while making a "big deal" in an undisclosed settlement, not just the typical relative chump-change most racebaiters get.

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
So why didn't you contact the CP5 and file a lawsuit then?

There were no damages done to me. The Central Park 5 did file a lawsuit against NYC and got like a $40 million settlement.  You know how much I love when taxpayers foot the bill for government misconduct. 

You could have made millions too in an undisclosed settlement
He did not get millions lol. He probably got like 50-100 K per settlement and then had to give his lawyers 1/3 of whatever he got after taxes.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
There were no damages done to me. 
I'm sure a lawyer would have given you a finder's fee cut. Not sure what the going rate is though.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
He did not get millions lol. He probably got like 50-100 K per settlement and then had to give his lawyers 1/3 of whatever he got after taxes.  

We really don't know, but CNN paid a lot more than 100 k in lawyer fees before the settlement. Maybe even millions depending who they hired to saved their asses.

I don't really care as much that Sandman or Sandman's lawyers became millionaires as seeing a trash racebaiting outfit like CNN lose millions. In the end, CNN had to pay 3 parties. 2 sets of lawyers and Sandman. Get cucked CNN. Get cucked.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
CNN paid a lot more than 100 k in lawyer fees before the settlement. Maybe even millions depending who they hired to saved their asses.

No,  they have lawyers on retainer.  It's possible they paid little to nothing  outside of the settlement depending on the terms of the retainer contract. The lawsuit filed against them by Chris Cuomo will probs cost them.