Pick Fights with Entire Fandoms Here

Author: badger

Total: 34
badger
Debates: 0
badger
The first book and a half of Dune are good. The rest is one big galactic wank. 

The prescience stuff is pure nonsense. Literally unreadable. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Space oddysey 2001 is a movie you can only enjoy while on acid. 
badger
badger
-->
@Wylted
All I can remember from that movie is the bone scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjdKTqiVvQ

A Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove are definitely in my top 20 though. 
badger
badger
Death Note and Code Geass were written for lonely egomaniacs. The former is pretty watchable though.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Harry Potter was entirely unoriginal pastiche.  Over-written, exceedingly repetitious, cliched and the muggles vs magical dynamic teaches children that its much better to be part of the superior race.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
How is it that we should fight back to that? Blasphemy.
oromagi
oromagi
The first book and a half of Dune are good. The rest is one big galactic wank. 

If you missed the God-Emperor of Dune millennia in the future, mostly worm and suffering, surrounded by all lesbian armies in a verdant Arrakis, re-cloning Duncan Idaho every 30 years and making him his majordomo knowing that as soon as Idaho's memories kick in he will try to assassinate the God again- then you've missed the best part.

The prescience stuff is pure nonsense. Literally unreadable. 
I'd say you missed the point.  The point?   If competent and moral people possessed perfect knowledge of the future and used that knowledge to control all of humanity with an active religion, a real god, a just government would humanity be any better off?  The answer is no- humanity would stagnate.

badger
badger
-->
@oromagi
I have absolutely no idea what you just wrote at me but I expect it was clever. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@badger
I am nothing if not clover.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Wylted
Space oddysey 2001 is a movie you can only enjoy while on acid. 

When people ask why was no great monument built to mark the Moon Landing my answer is, they did- 2001 A Space Odyssey.  However, I don't think 2001 can properly be thought of as having a fandom.   The movie was made ten years before Star Wars redefined mass marketing.  There is no "2001:  A Space Wiki" for example.  I could write 100,000 words on 2001 today if called upon but I don't think that movie meets Badger's criteria.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
What you said about the muggle vs pureblood dynamic is false, in fact the pure-blood enthusiasts were overly demonised even.

JK Rowling overly catered to people like you when actually the Malfoys weren't all that evil other than being pure-blood supremacist.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
She literally made all the trolls be in the financial industry.  It's obvious what she was doing and I only seen half of one movie
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
They were goblins, not trolls. Troll is what Harry found in the school bathroom in Book/Movie 1 though.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@badger
I preferred Code Geass over Death Note, they are amazing but certainly not my favorite
oromagi
oromagi
In Harry Potter, humans are divided into 5 major classifications based on parentage.  Unlike the real world, these genetic inheritances manifest in terms of real differences in power and ability.

Muggles
Squibs
Muggle-borns
half-bloods
and
Pure bloods

Harry and his friends might regularly protest how unfair such racial differences are but that doesn't change the fact that those racial difference translate into real power and ability.  Racial differences are important sociologically and physiologically.

The most magical individuals are permitted to attend special private schools where they are taught to exploit their racially superior characteristics.  Most superior humans are discouraged from even interacting with inferior majority of humans.  The oldest families maintain great estates and enjoy the lifelong devoted servitude of a non-human but sentient race of house elves.  Few muggles are depicted in any of the books and the top three most regularly depicted in the books are all horrible human beings- stupid, selfish, greedy, easily frightened.

As mentioned, the goblins of Gringotts are short, long nosed, big eared ugly humanoids with a seeming exclusive interest in money- John Stewart remarked just yesterday that the goblins were straght of illustratons from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

All the humanoids are depicted as preferring the rulership of the Wizard class.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Well, to be clear, wizards and witches (though it's actually warlocks and witches with elements of sorcerer/sorceresses) are not technically human.

What you're saying is kind of ridiculous... Are you saying that X-men is racism too since they're above humans in ability? The only difference is the humans isolate and alienate them.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
 Are you saying that X-men is racism too since they're above humans in ability? 
Stan Lee specifically wrote the X-men in reaction the US civil rights movement, so yes, obviously. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
LOL!!!!

I am sorry but this is funny/absurd for me.

So any fictional world where there are human-like entities that are superpowered is in fact racist?
badger
badger
I will say that I think J.K. Rowling did some really fascinating things with her characters. Even years later, I can still wonder about them sometimes. There's just this super interesting "better natures" kind of idea permeating the entire series. 

The more I think about it then, the more I think Ron is the point of the entire series. He's the big case study. He's the one with an actual romance. He's the one with the family. He's the actual wizard. Hermione is a muggle-born. Harry is an orphan that's been locked up in a cupboard for so long. It's Ron's life we're getting a look in at. And then he's mostly quiet and in the background. He makes a funny face every now and again. The whole thing is super fucking sneaky. But I honestly think he's such a deep character.

Look, I'm not going to prove it. My brain is too much disorder for writing posts like oro and others do. 

Harry and Voldemort are the extremes. Ron Weasley is everything in between. J.K. Rowling writes really cool characters. 

Cormoran Strike is also pretty cool. 
badger
badger
Draco Malfoy plays the foil for Harry, but actually it's all just smoke and mirrors.

Ron Weasley might have been the next Dark Lord. 
badger
badger
I just googled some shit and found people trying to make the "I am Lord Voldemort" anagram equivalent from Ron's name.

Ronald Bilius Weasley
I, wise Lord Unslayable
badger
badger
I will also say that I think the solutions she writes to her mysteries are completely ludicrous. But characters she does got. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@oromagi
Harry and his friends might regularly protest how unfair such racial differences are but that doesn't change the fact that those racial difference translate into real power and ability.  Racial differences are important sociologically and physiologically.
What’s emphasized is that your blood doesn’t make a difference on whether you’re a good wizard/witch or not 

The most magical individuals are permitted to attend special private schools where they are taught to exploit their racially superior characteristics. 
To prevent magical outbreaks that might harm others if left alone. Just look at all the harm Tom Riddle caused before Dumbledore brought him to Hogwarts

Most superior humans are discouraged from even interacting with inferior majority of humans. 
There’s an entire department dedicated to muggle studies in the ministry of magic. Not to mention the Muggle PM knows about the community. Would you prefer a war between wizards/witches and muggles? Who would win that battle realistically? It’s for the safety of both groups of people.

The oldest families maintain great estates and enjoy the lifelong devoted servitude of a non-human but sentient race of house elves.  Few muggles are depicted in any of the books and the top three most regularly depicted in the books are all horrible human beings- stupid, selfish, greedy, easily frightened.
And Harry Potter frees Dobby from the Malfoys because of how he’s treated. He doesn’t kill Kreacher either even though Kreacher is a clear supporter of Voldemort.

As for the Dursleys, that enmity comes from Petunia who was jealous of the fact her sister Lilly was gifted and she wasn’t. I think it’s also cannon that Dudley’s son is gifted.

As mentioned, the goblins of Gringotts are short, long nosed, big eared ugly humanoids with a seeming exclusive interest in money- John Stewart remarked just yesterday that the goblins were straght of illustratons from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.
Goblins have always been associated with money of practically every fictional story. I don’t know where it originates though.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ILikePie5
As for the Dursleys, that enmity comes from Petunia who was jealous of the fact her sister Lilly was gifted and she wasn’t. I think it’s also cannon that Dudley’s son is gifted.
WRONG! It is his uncle who is the nasty one, Petunia is the only reason they gave him a home and she is deeply scarred by the loss of Lily and has a rather nasty and abusive husband.
badger
badger
Please more fighting.
badger
badger
Islam is a religion of terror.
Vader
Vader
-->
@badger
Gurren Lagann is the best mech anime

16 days later

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
Genshin Impact is for the type of gamer who looks like a media stereotype of a gamer.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Mharman
I stopped playing it after you had to pay money to get good characters
Vader
Vader
Aaron Rodgers is actually a mediocre QB who can't get the job done in important situations