Thoughts on the candidates and who to vote for

Author: Mikal

Total: 8
Mikal
Debates: 0
Mikal
  • Airmax1227 - I honestly believe this is the right choice. The same critique that I've thrown at this site for years is the same critique and main reason as to why it's dead (at least in my opinion). Over moderation and the ability to let the community moderate itself and resolve it's own issues until it's absolutely needed for moderation to step in. I found out whiteflame was head moderator yesterday so I'm sure some steps are already being made toward this as he is a gent of a human, and I've never had a bad experience with whiteflame outside of really bad mafia play. Kinda drools on his keyboard when he plays mafia, but we can't all be perfect and I love having him in mafia games nonetheless.   But on the point of this, why Max? For those who have not known him, Max was the head moderator on DDO for around 10 years. He was not paid for this position and did it strictly out of a love for the community and the website. If you have never had an interaction with him, you absolutely should. Since his time on DDO, I can honestly claim him to be one of my best friends (I mean this fully). I've had the chance to interact with him both on and off DDO, and at his core Max is a an amazing human being who is far more mature than we deserve. His ability to rationalize bans, or explain his actions far exceeds anything we have seen since DDO died. Even when I was banned by him in the past, I was never arguing with him about the ban. I would even admit I deserved it after he explained it to me and why he was doing it. All that to say this, he can change the culture of this site. He takes a very hands off approach and lets the site moderate itself and solve its own issues until someone needs to step him. Max is honestly the person we need but don't deserve. This is the right choice.
  • RM - While I have no issues with RM personally and love to see him active and engage with him (both to troll him and understand him as a person). I do not think he is the right person for this title. Yes he is active but that does not necessitate him as electable. From my interactions with him I've seen the same pattern of behavior, he is unable to engage with people past the point of them disagreeing with him. He either will block you or force himself to be a victim and call people bullies to avoid debate / conversation. This is a debate website, and there should be some animosity. The issue most people have with moderation now is that it's to heavy handed and I think RM will be just as bad as the current mods but tailor those choices unless they affect him. When he is the person in the wrong, moderation is horrible and heavy handed.  When mods don't ban something he disagrees with, they should be more heavy handed. The entire way he would distribute his choices and bans would be entirely subjective and on a whim based on his personal ideologies. That is not to say I don't like him. I actually am glad he's around as I quite like his personality and he makes great content. He is in fact needed on this site, just not in any leadership capacity. Much like myself, I don't have the patience to deal with half the people I interact with online and flame them into oblivion. But I have my role to play.
  • Wylted - Most people know him as a troll or captain rape debate. But wylted is in fact a good person. He's in it for the shock value and while I think he's vastly a better choice than RM, he does not hold a candle to Max. I say this with love and I would say the same of myself or even lunatic and other friends. It's not that wylted is bad or has any reason that he should not be elected. In fact if max was not running I would vote for wylted. The only argument I lob against wylted is that he is running against someone, who is vastly more qualified for this position. 
So ask yourself, do you want to see this website change? Do you want to see it become active and try to reach the heights of DDO? I'm not sure it's even possible with how far in the grave this site is already, but if anyone can make it happen and if there is a chance to save it and bring back DDO then Max is the person to do it. Make the right choice and elect your neighborhood axolotl 

RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
So should my best friend elsewhere be president here? No. This isn't about who we like best outside of this website, this is about who has proven themselves here.

Airmax1227 has completely been inactive, posting only 80-someting posts for the 3 and a half years that this website existed prior to that thread where he posted to get his post count up to 90.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Also, when it comes to whims, you haven't seen me moderate. Airmax is a whim-based mod, always has been. It's why Bench got forgiven 7-8 times over and others, not just me, were punished brutally from the get-go.
Mikal
Mikal
This site is an extension of the prior one. The role of president is meant to serve the community, this community came from ddo which was a community he was active in for 10 years. The amount of posts or activity on this site is irrelevant as he is representing the user base which are mostly familiar with him. 

The fact that he was so lenient with ima is a testament to why he should be a moderator. Had that happened here, Ima would have been permaed ages ago and he did not deserve a perma. Your perma was for entirely different reasons and something that is not worth rehashing. But yes most of his bans have been spot on, and if they were not spot on, he could logically walk you through his thought process and defend it and in most cases help you understand it. You are never going to have everyone agreeing with everything that you do, but he was always able to defend and rationalize his choices in a very coherent way. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Also, I'm not sure it helps your case that the main supporter of Airmax did this upon his return after a long hiatus:

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Mikal
This site is an extension of the prior one. The role of president is meant to serve the community, this community came from ddo which was a community he was active in for 10 years. The amount of posts or activity on this site is irrelevant as he is representing the user base which are mostly familiar with him. 

The fact that he was so lenient with ima is a testament to why he should be a moderator. Had that happened here, Ima would have been permaed ages ago and he did not deserve a perma. Your perma was for entirely different reasons and something that is not worth rehashing. But yes most of his bans have been spot on, and if they were not spot on, he could logically walk you through his thought process and defend it and in most cases help you understand it. You are never going to have everyone agreeing with everything that you do, but he was always able to defend and rationalize his choices in a very coherent way. 
He is selectively lenient, completely double-standard.

However, the only reason I know that is to do with stuff from the era and website I'm saying should be left out of this election, therefore I am conflicted in myself whether or not to bring up DDO stuff to point out flaws with him as a candidate as I am also saying DDO era is not really that relevant anymore.
Mikal
Mikal
his entire presence on DDO is what makes him qualified , It's also partially why people would argue that you aren't qualified. This site is an extension of DDO, so yes merits should be weighed. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Mikal
I appreciate the kind words in the op. Thanks