the story of ibraham killing his own son in islam

Author: Lunar108

Total: 19
Lunar108
Debates: 0
Lunar108
This is one of the most ridiculous stories that can come out of Islam. There is an agreement among Islamic sources that the origin of stoning the devil comes from this story.
Going back to this "test", where Allah pushes a parent to kill their child only to have the Shaytan-satan- try to stop him. When taken in the context that Allah knows the future, know what will happen, and knows everything... sounds like one sick joke, doesn't it. Now, Google how many parents killed their children insisting they heard a voice claiming to be god asking them to follow His command. Only this time, no lamp shows up!!
I just googled this term "hears voices kills their child" and hit hundred of thousands of stories. If you find it sick, wonder how this story sound any different?
If I ever visit Mecca again, I think I will throw stones on the Kaaba instead!! But then Allah is not real, none of these stories are real. Now you know.
@arabic_translatedmemes
did you know where the hajj -islamic pilgrimage- stoning the devil come from ?
the devil was trying to stop ibraham from stoning his very own son and Ibraham throw stones at him 
Now let me ask you a question ? who comes more as a devil ?
the person who ask a father to kill his own son , or the one telling him not to kill his own son ?
===========================
Just using one's brain when one is ordered to kill his own son one should begin to question themselves and whither they are following a cult/evil god rather than following a righteous god / religion 

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Lunar108
To quote myself, as I'm lazy.

"The Binding of Isaac,
While it's true that Isaac was not sacrificed in the end, and that it seems certain God never intended him to be sacrificed in the end. He 'did still tell Abraham to sacrifice his son.

Bible has numerous different versions and translations.
Though an atheist, I pretty much translate it however I want now, as I figure the original meaning to be lost, or at least very difficult to ascertain with certainty, so what matters to me is what perspective 'I find enlightening or useful.

The Binding of Isaac,
I can view as perhaps human and child sacrifice was practiced in antiquity, and this passage of the Bible was Gods way in telling his people he knows already that they fear, respect, and revere him to such an extent. That they 'never need commit human sacrifice again to 'prove their devotion to him.
For my idea of God would be 'displeased by human and child sacrifice.

But there's 'still the problem of a man being asked to do something we'd consider immoral. . .
Hm, perhaps can be resolved by God would not have asked the same thing of a person unwilling to commit such an act, but he chose a member of his people that 'would, that he might teach him and the rest of the people, otherwise.

Though other people have different interpretations I'm sure.
I'm still an atheist, but looking for meaning in the Bible is still interesting to me, from time to time.
Though my understanding of it, on a scale 1-10, I'd rate a 1."

I'm 'pretty sure I remember a number of pieces in the Bible, 'condemning religions that practiced child worship,
But as I'm too lazy to research this, I'll just assert it without proof.

That being said, Christianity is different than Islam,
And people, groups, have different interpretations of events.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Lunar108
There is actually a story in China where a dude has a starving family. His son and his mother. In order to save his mom he buried his kid. For hundreds of years this was not immoral as seen by the conservatives. Similar stories include that a 60-some year old man dresses up as a kid playing to appease his old parents and a man begging the ice to pop and grant him a fish(and actually getting it, luckily).

To be fair, man's stupidity has no end and a world with no stupid humans are borderline impossible. If you try to harm your kid just because you hear some voices, and not even logic explains why it is beneficial(it is probably not), then you probably deserve the grievance of losing your child.

If you are a psychopath who is actually not sad after all this, then maybe you don't deserve children.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
I have to admit, a very common view, would be obedience towards God,
But I'd not say it's the only one,
Or reason enough to condemn the religion or it's practitioners.

In the end after all, it's an animal, not his son, that is sacrificed,
And I'm assuming modern day Muslims don't sacrifice their children, as a regular practice.

I'm 'also assuming Ibrahim's life was full of miracles, and proofs throughout, that gave him faith in this God,
Whether that his God knew better,
That his God would prevent the death,
Other,

I really doubt it's encouraged by religion, for everyone to think of themselves as prophets and miracle conduits.

"hears voices kills their child" #1
I'd call more unfortunate for mental health services, natural occurrence of mental illness,
Or possibly bad 'bad judgement,
But not something I'd condemn Islam for.

. .  .

It 'is interesting to hear other of other cultures, and times.

I remember in Romance of the Three Kingdoms,
Historical Fiction,

A hunter kills his wife, and feeds her to Liu Bei,
Who was both grateful and appalled, as I recall.

Liu Bei after losing Xuzhou, his wife and kids, said,
"The ancient had a saying: 'Brothers are as hands and feet; wives and children are as clothing. You may mend your torn dress, but who can reattach a lost limb?"
Speaking of how much he valued his sworn brothers,

Ah, also that baby incident.

Usually portrayed in a 'lighter tone, in modern day, I'd say.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lemming
And I'm assuming modern day Muslims don't sacrifice their children, as a regular practice.

Then you don't know much do you Lemming?

But then you also admit to being " unfamiliar with Islam," #41

"How the Taliban groom child suicide bombers".

Terror attacks : The inhumane use of children as suicide bombers.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Stephen
I should know better, than to talk of religion with you, but I'll bite,
So you're of the opinion that 'all Muslims and the religion of Islam support child bombers?

I'm 'not saying this, as a nuh uh, you're wrong, I just want to hear your opinion.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lemming
So you're of the opinion that 'all Muslims and the religion of Islam support child bombers?

Nope. You wrote:
"And I'm assuming modern day Muslims don't sacrifice their children".

I have simply shown your assumption to be wrong.

And you won't find a single post of mine where I have ever used the words or phrase "all Muslims" in the context that I believe ALL Muslims piss in the same pot, either..

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Stephen
Ah, so you pedantically snarked.
And 'implied, seems to me.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lemming
Nope. I just corrected you on your assumption. Don't take it so personal.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Stephen
Nah, I shall.
Stephen
Stephen
And you have the bollocks to call me pedantic! 😂
FLRW
FLRW
I can't remember the statistics, but a large number of Muslims inbreed, although probably not to the same degree as the Pakistanis favour (between first cousins) whereas Arabs might keep it more within their extended family or tribe.
There was a member here a few years back literally bemoaning the fact that he didn't have a female cousin to marry, sounds like a fetish for some people. If anyone ever watched the Simpsons, it is a bit like the Shelbyville people.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lemming
I should know better, than to talk of religion with you.

Probably. But all forums are to and extent 'ride at your own risk' , in my opinion.

Nope. I just corrected you on your assumption. Don't take it so personal.

Nah, I shall.

And you have the brass bollocks to call me pedantic! 😂
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
the person who ask a father to kill his own son , or the one telling him not to kill his own son ?
- Why are you so worried about that, when it's literally law to kill your child in the West. – No one is actually as dumb as you to not understand the wisdom of the story! 
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
-->
@Stephen
- A very short list of child sacrifices in the US:

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Yassine

Yassine, As terrible and disgusting as these child slayings are, they were not "sacrificed" to further the cause of religion or in the name of Jesus were they? And it appears from your links that all of these mothers are facing justice in the courts..... in the west.  Who in the Islamic world is holding to account those horrible bastards that strap a suicide vest to a child and stand at a distance to watch as his little bones, flesh and organs splatter and fly in all directions  ?

Your desperate attempts to contextualise a barbaric 7th century ideology followed and adhered to by billions with western mothers committing infanticide doesn't fly.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
@Lunar108

Is this supposed to be Abraham? And why not call out Jews since it was a their story first.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
"According to the Islamic faith, Abraham (Arabic: إِبْرَاهِيْمُ, romanizedʾIbrāhīm"

"Abraham[a] (originally Abram)[b] is the common patriarch of the Abrahamic religions, including JudaismChristianity, and Islam"

The stories and depictions have differences, though.
That different Anti-Theists of different religions, might have different complaints.

243 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@Lunar108
This is one of the most ridiculous stories that can come out of Islam. There is an agreement among Islamic sources that the origin of stoning the devil comes from this story.
Going back to this "test", where Allah pushes a parent to kill their child only to have the Shaytan-satan- try to stop him. When taken in the context that Allah knows the future, know what will happen, and knows everything... sounds like one sick joke, doesn't it. Now, Google how many parents killed their children insisting they heard a voice claiming to be god asking them to follow His command. Only this time, no lamp shows up!!
I just googled this term "hears voices kills their child" and hit hundred of thousands of stories. If you find it sick, wonder how this story sound any different?
If I ever visit Mecca again, I think I will throw stones on the Kaaba instead!! But then Allah is not real, none of these stories are real. Now you know. 
@arabic_translatedmemes
did you know where the hajj -islamic pilgrimage- stoning the devil come from ?
the devil was trying to stop ibraham from stoning his very own son and Ibraham throw stones at him 
===========================
Just using one's brain when one is ordered to kill his own son one should begin to question themselves and whither they are following a cult/evil god rather than following a righteous god / religion 
The Bible tells us God did test Abraham.

Abraham Tested

Genesis 22:1 Some time later God tested Abraham. He said to him, “Abraham!”
“Here I am,” he replied.
2 Then God said, “Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”
3 Early the next morning Abraham got up and loaded his donkey. He took with him two of his servants and his son Isaac. When he had cut enough wood for the burnt offering, he set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 He said to his servants, “Stay here with the donkey while I and the boy go over there. We will worship and then we will come back to you.”
6 Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together, 7 Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, “Father?”
“Yes, my son?” Abraham replied.
“The fire and wood are here,” Isaac said, “but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?”
8 Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” And the two of them went on together.
9 When they reached the place God had told him about, Abraham built an altar there and arranged the wood on it. He bound his son Isaac and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood.10 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. 11 But the angel of the Lordcalled out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”
“Here I am,” he replied.
12 “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”
13 Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram[a] caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 So Abraham calledthat place The Lord Will Provide. And to this day it is said, “On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”
15 The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring[b] all nations on earth will be blessed,[c] because you have obeyed me.”
19 Then Abraham returned to his servants, and they set off together for Beersheba. And Abraham stayed in Beersheba.