stoned to death for adultery by a local Sharia court in modern day

Author: Lunar108

Total: 4
Lunar108
Debates: 0
Lunar108
13 December, 2009
Mohamed Abukar Ibrahim, 48, is stoned to death by members of Hizbul Islam, a group of Somali Islamist insurgents in Afgooye, 30 km from the capital Mogadishu, on 13 December. Ibrahim had been found guilty of adultery by a local Sharia court. In February, the president of a transitional government had agreed to the introduction of Sharia law in Somalia, in order to defuse clashes between the government and local clan-based militia.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I'm not sure I'd qualify Somalia 2009 as "modern day."  Keep in mind that's the bloody opening year of the Civil War that is still ongoing in that country- bombs and mortars were a daily event for people living in and around Mogadishu so I'm not sure that even a stoning would distinguish itself as any more barbaric than every day life.  Essentially, you are talking about tribes of herdsmen and Sharia law is little more than what the tribal Chief makes it.  Its a little redundant to say local Sharia law because Sharia sort of means the law left to local jurisdictions.  Sharia might require stoning in one jurisdiction and forbid stoning in a neighboring jurisdiction even though both look at the same texts for justification.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
Nope, hardly modern day.

But unfortunately modern day.

But probably why we don't see many Somalians aboard the Space Station.

Not that there aren't clever people of Somalian descent,

But I expect that not many such people,

Opt to live in Somalia.

All recognition though,

To those clever people who do....Surgeons et al.

It's such a pity,

That non-sensical religious ideology,

Still strives to drag humanity backwards.

Maybe for a reason?

Mustn't get too ahead of ourselves.

212 days later

Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Lunar108
Mohamed Abukar Ibrahim, 48, is stoned to death by members of Hizbul Islam, a group of Somali Islamist insurgents in Afgooye, 30 km from the capital Mogadishu, on 13 December. Ibrahim had been found guilty of adultery by a local Sharia court. In February, the president of a transitional government had agreed to the introduction of Sharia law in Somalia, in order to defuse clashes between the government and local clan-based militia.
Death by stoning was accepted in the Bible till other more modern methods of execution were invented.
But public stoning remained an option which the Muslims kept open to blend the old with the new. Punishment by any means is punishment to serve Justice .