Answers From Science-Sceptical Individuals Only, Please

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 12
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Please describe step-by-step in as much detail as possible how you think the scientific community actually reaches consensus on topics, not 'in theory' but instead how it happens 'in practice'.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
They don't reach consensus. They aren't a hive mind that all agree. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Right now you are probably thinking in your head "what about vaccines, they all 100% agree that the covid 19 vaccine should be taken. You'd be wrong. Views range from thinking it should be taken by all people over the age of 65, to all people without heart conditions and others that would say that it shouldn't be taken at all. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Everyone is sceptical,

Until science becomes indisputable.

Though there are always those who will  be deliberately sceptical,

Even if the scientific outcome is indisputable.

Flat Earthers,

Or theistic creationists,

For example.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
How could anyone be science-skeptical? 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Wylted
Wasn't thinking about vaccines at any point, not sure why I should be.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Intelligence_06
My hypothesis is that they don't understand how science works in theory or they believe that the way it works in theory differs from the way it works in a practical real world setting. My hypothesis may be partly or fully correct or incorrect, I am testing it by literally just asking them how it works.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Id say most don’t understand how logic works, cause if they did the scientific method would come to them naturally, and with that a better understanding of why the world works the way it does.
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I’m not skeptical of science- it is merely a field or study. I am much more skeptical of some of the conclusions being made, especially when they encourage you to forgo your own research in favor of whatever it is they tell you. “Trust the science” in itself is anti-science because it clashes with the healthy skepticism that a healthy field of study needs.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mharman
I am much more skeptical of some of the conclusions being made, especially when they encourage you to forgo your own research in favor of whatever it is they tell you. 
Would you be able to describe step-by-step in as much detail as possible how you think the scientific community actually reaches these conclusions that you mention?
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Would you be able to describe step-by-step in as much detail as possible how you think the scientific community actually reaches these conclusions that you mention?
There isn't really a specific step-by-step. There can be a variety of reasons. Financial incentives, political agendas, and mass confirmation bias being chief among them.

I would also like to clarify that not every member of the scientific community falls into these pitfalls, which is why there are scientific debates always happening. Which is good for science. Saying "trust the science" just because you hold the majority position among your colleagues isn't.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Science reaches conclusions, by step by step analysis.

Results always yield a positive conclusion, even if a conclusion does not always satisfy the premise.