What Shook You?

Author: Yassine

Total: 40
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
- Whether you're christian or atheist or jewish or else, what is the most serious objection or question or scriptural quote or doctrine or experience... that shook what you believed in or at least made you uncomfortable or unable to deal with? 
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
Everything that shook me supported me towards what I believe now, I have yet to be shook regarding my current belief system.

The biggest question I pondered over was if there was any possible mechanical way for a god to have always existed and yet be justified by the impossibility of everything to come from nothing.

Years of pondering it led me to the conclusion that there must be a random generator that always existed/exists and a god persona that was randomly generated along the way hijacked it. Absolutely nothing other than this duality seems to add up.
Yassine
Yassine
Everything that shook me supported me towards what I believe now, I have yet to be shook regarding my current belief system.

The biggest question I pondered over was if there was any possible mechanical way for a god to have always existed and yet be justified by the impossibility of everything to come from nothing.
- Do you mean, god -as a necessary being- must exist because everything can not come from nothing, or god can not exist because god can not come from nothing?

Years of pondering it led me to the conclusion that there must be a random generator that always existed/exists and a god persona that was randomly generated along the way hijacked it. Absolutely nothing other than this duality seems to add up.
- Can you elaborate more this, what do you mean hijacked it?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Yassine
One is rarely shook,

Because one has become conditioned and therefore insensitive to the fact,

That there is always someone somewhere capable of something.

So if for example, I am told that someone somewhere can and does legally decapitate their spouse,

Then that event just becomes something else, that someone participated in somewhere.

And I return to my porridge, unshaken.

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@zedvictor4
One is rarely shook,
Because one has become conditioned and therefore insensitive to the fact,
That there is always someone somewhere capable of something.
So if for example, I am told that someone somewhere can and does legally decapitate their spouse,
Then that event just becomes something else, that someone participated in somewhere.
- Nothing stopped you on your track of thoughts & beliefs? 

And I return to my porridge, unshaken.
- Oats...?

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Yassine
Oats for sure.

And I suppose that if one has never placed the burden of responsibility for ones entire existence, onto to the shoulders of ones imagination.

Then one will not feel let down when ones expectancies are challenged.

Though it must be said that realistically the basis of any challenge is a fellow hominid, and not a conditioned belief system.

But herein exists a hominid that has had the luxury of a comfortable and secure existence for the past 62years.

Such are the fortunes of evolution.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Imagine being so jealous of people who had experiences that you have to come to a forum and talk about how you haven't had any, and that it makes you a better human being than them. I swear to God there's nothing more arrogant than a white man over 50.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Yassine
 Whether you're christian
When I was younger, my Christian faith was rocked by the false teaching and misunderstandings of how to interpret the Scriptures. I grew up in a home where both atheism and fundamentalism was taught. I grew up thinking the false hermeneutic of literalism was the way to understand the bible - but also to believe that the bible could be proved by reading the newspapers and watching current events.  When things did not pan out as expected - it made me question the bible. I left the church - and at some stage - ventured on a journey to experience truth - traveling and visiting and talking with various teachers. 

or atheist
I was rocked as an atheist by the profound emptiness of atheism but also by the fact that I had to actually stop using my brain. Yes, question everything but the fact of atheism. Inconsistency and hypocrisy rocked my thoughts and led me away from such a depressing and sad and twisted viewpoint. 

or jewish
I am not nor never have been Jewish.   I quite like Jewish thought - in particular the ancient Hebrew. 

or else,
I have never practiced a different religion than Christianity. Yet, I have experienced and talked with and studied with many of the different world religions. I have found all of them - similar in respect to Atheism.  They all are pointless and devoid of life and meaning.  They all have the façade of profundity yet - all fall at the first hurdle.  

what is the most serious objection or question or scriptural quote or doctrine or experience...
Things are no longer the same as they were in the past for me. In the past - I was one looking for God. Or some kind of meaning for my life. This in essence is the pursuit most attach to life and probably for religion too.   The most profound realization came one day - it is not that we look for God - but rather that God came for us.  This profound and deep thought has rocked me more than any other in this world.  And it changed my world and everything in it.  My perspective was turned upside down. A paradigm moment I suppose.  

that shook what you believed in or at least made you uncomfortable or unable to deal with? 
It shook me so much - but at the same time - then was a deep sense of real peace that flooded throughout my entire body and mind. Suddenly everything became much more clear and real and vivid. Not that I suddenly knew everything - because I don't and in reality don't know that much at all. Yet - the realization so changed my perspective that suddenly the clarity was overwhelming. 

Yassine -  I wish that you could be so rocked - so changed that your life would never be the way it was.  
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Poly

How about a woman with a mid-life crisis and a confused belief system (only joking)....Jealous of a currently confident and content, over 50 man....Far from white....In fact slightly ruddy by virtue of heritage.

In fact we are all what we are by virtue of heritage.....An unalterable consequence of species evolution relative to time, space and matter.

Perhaps that's what makes you such a polytheistically perfect female Poly?

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Tradesecret
When I was younger, my Christian faith was rocked by the false teaching and misunderstandings of how to interpret the Scriptures. I grew up in a home where both atheism and fundamentalism was taught. I grew up thinking the false hermeneutic of literalism was the way to understand the bible - but also to believe that the bible could be proved by reading the newspapers and watching current events.  When things did not pan out as expected - it made me question the bible. I left the church - and at some stage - ventured on a journey to experience truth - traveling and visiting and talking with various teachers. 
- Any specific such instance?

I was rocked as an atheist by the profound emptiness of atheism but also by the fact that I had to actually stop using my brain. Yes, question everything but the fact of atheism. Inconsistency and hypocrisy rocked my thoughts and led me away from such a depressing and sad and twisted viewpoint. 
- Were you actually an atheist though?

I have never practiced a different religion than Christianity. Yet, I have experienced and talked with and studied with many of the different world religions. I have found all of them - similar in respect to Atheism.  They all are pointless and devoid of life and meaning.  They all have the façade of profundity yet - all fall at the first hurdle. 
- Any specific hurdles?

Things are no longer the same as they were in the past for me. In the past - I was one looking for God. Or some kind of meaning for my life. This in essence is the pursuit most attach to life and probably for religion too.   The most profound realization came one day - it is not that we look for God - but rather that God came for us.  This profound and deep thought has rocked me more than any other in this world.  And it changed my world and everything in it.  My perspective was turned upside down. A paradigm moment I suppose.  
- What does it mean for God to come to you?

It shook me so much - but at the same time - then was a deep sense of real peace that flooded throughout my entire body and mind. Suddenly everything became much more clear and real and vivid. Not that I suddenly knew everything - because I don't and in reality don't know that much at all. Yet - the realization so changed my perspective that suddenly the clarity was overwhelming. 
- Any specific thing you gained clarity into?

Yassine -  I wish that you could be so rocked - so changed that your life would never be the way it was.  
- In Islam we experience true spirituality, which you won't be able to understand unless you experience it first hand. But that's not the point here is it.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Yassine
- Any specific such instance?
Of what? 

- Were you actually an atheist though?
Yes. 

- Any specific hurdles?
Yes, consistency. 

- What does it mean for God to come to you?
It means the opposite of what I had been taught by everyone. I was taught we should look for God.  In fact it was the opposite. God came to us - Jesus. 

- Any specific thing you gained clarity into?
Truth. Love. Meaning. 

- In Islam we experience true spirituality, which you won't be able to understand unless you experience it first hand. But that's not the point here is it.
In Christianity we experience true spirituality as well.  We don't however base this on a feeling though, like Islam. It is not fear or love. Or a warm fuzzy out of this world experience. 
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Yes, question everything but the fact of atheism. Inconsistency and hypocrisy rocked my thoughts and led me away from such a depressing and sad and twisted viewpoint. I have experienced and talked with and studied with many of the different world religions. I have found all of them - similar in respect to Atheism.  They all are pointless and devoid of life and meaning.  They all have the façade of profundity yet - all fall at the first hurdle.  

Well your own opinions of atheists are well documented facts about what you claim to know about most of the atheist that you have met isn't it, Reverend Münchhausen.

Most atheists I know are impractical and airhead.  Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime. Many commit suicide and or are on drugs and alcohol. Not too many get married, or if they do - are on to their 4 or 4th marriage. Many are gay or lesbian. #33
"kiddie fiddlers".  This is clean out of the ethang5 hand book of disgusting vileness. That will be the man that you claim to aspire to be "more  like" #76 

Lovely, just lovely.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Ethang is a much more decent person than you.  You stalk people - creep.  He is much worthier to emulate than you. 

I never said every atheist - I said many end up in prison.  And this is true. the stats are available for anyone with half a brain. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
I never said every atheist - I said many end up in prison. 

I haven't said you did. I quoted you full and in context.  Your quote states "MOST"  not all. Look, here it is again...

Most atheists I know are impractical and airhead.  Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime. Many commit suicide and or are on drugs and alcohol. Not too many get married, or if they do - are on to their 4 or 4th marriage. Many are gay or lesbian. #33
So according to you,  most of the atheist that you meet you regard as "kiddie fiddlers".

You do assure us: 

"To be clear I own all of my words" .#54
  Or are you saying that these were not your own words but someone else's'?

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Tradesecret
In Christianity we experience true spirituality as well.
- No. You don't even know what I'am talking about.

We don't however base this on a feeling though, like Islam.
- You keep confusing your faith with mine. 

It is not fear or love. Or a warm fuzzy out of this world experience. 
- You just said you don't have proof for your faith!

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
I never said every atheist - I said many end up in prison. 

I haven't said you did. I quoted you full and in context.  Your quote states "MOST"  not all. Look, here it is again...
Behold another bold face lie by the master of trolls.  "Many end up in prison". Not most. Read it again and weep - creep. 

Most atheists I know are impractical and airhead.  Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime. Many commit suicide and or are on drugs and alcohol. Not too many get married, or if they do - are on to their 4 or 4th marriage. Many are gay or lesbian. #33
So according to you,  most of the atheist that you meet you regard as "kiddie fiddlers".

You do assure us: 

The rest of this is not worth responding too. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Yassine
In Christianity we experience true spirituality as well.
- No. You don't even know what I'am talking about.
Pretty much like you have no idea what I am talking about.  I find the Muslim so called spirituality quite sad really.  

We don't however base this on a feeling though, like Islam.
- You keep confusing your faith with mine. 
No sorry.  Christianity is NOT based on a feeling. It is based on Christ. It is based upon the historical fact of Jesus dying and rising from the dead.  Islam borrowed quite poorly from other religions including Hebrew and Christianity and a smattering of Hindu and Buddhist teaching. 

It is not fear or love. Or a warm fuzzy out of this world experience. 
- You just said you don't have proof for your faith!

No I didn't. I said I don't have irrefutable proof that the bible is true. Quite a different thing really. 

Stephen
Stephen
Behold another bold face lie by the master of trolls.  "Many end up in prison". Not most. Read it again 

I don't have to read it again.  This is what you have said about atheist that  "you know" .

Most atheists I know are impractical and airhead.  Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime. Many commit suicide and or are on drugs and alcohol. Not too many get married, or if they do - are on to their 4 or 4th marriage. Many are gay or lesbian. #33

You keep ignoring your own statements and causing me to re-post what YOU have actually wrote and who you wrote about . I shall point you to the relevant  part that you are attempting to play down and deny. 

You clearly say about MOST atheist that "you know" :

"Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime#33

I understand you haven't a clue what is going on in scriptures, as they have been taught to you by superior bible dunces- as much as you attempt to re-write them. But you should at least be able to understand what is  CLEARY written by your own hand, Reverend Munchausen.

You do assure us: 

And let me remind you, that the person that you aspire to be like - Ethang5, has been banned  for saying exactly what you are also saying  and accusing "many" atheists of being;

"ethang5 has been banned for 30 days for an ongoing pattern of unwarrantedly accusing people of being pedophiles seemingly when in any heated disagreement with him".

I should think on that, Reverend Munchausen.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Yassine
- Whether you're christian or atheist or jewish or else, what is the most serious objection or question or scriptural quote or doctrine or experience... that shook what you believed in or at least made you uncomfortable or unable to deal with? 
When I first started going to internet forums and interacting with atheists I didn't know personally I basically found out exactly what atheists think of theists. I was honestly shocked at the hate that I got in posts from them, to the point that I went to every atheist I knew and ask them if they actually thought that way. When I basically got well in general but not you know specific people like you know you don't bother me, I basically cut every atheist I knew out of my life other than the family members. Because you have to interact with family. I still to this day when meeting new people and spirituality comes up, cuz it will because it's a huge part of my daily life, and I find out they're atheist I make certain my relationship with them doesn't go anywhere. That it's kept as shallow as possible if I even interact with them at all. It will still sometimes surprise me just how bitter they are that there are people who don't think the way they do. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
@Poly

And you're not the one with an attitude problem?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch

13 days later

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
Behold another bold face lie by the master of trolls.  "Many end up in prison". Not most. Read it again 

I don't have to read it again.  This is what you have said about atheist that  "you know" .

You keep ignoring your own statements and causing me to re-post what YOU have actually wrote and who you wrote about . I shall point you to the relevant  part that you are attempting to play down and deny. 

"Many end up in prisonfor theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime#33

I understand you haven't a clue what is going on in scriptures, as they have been taught to you by superior bible dunces- as much as you attempt to re-write them. But you should at least be able to understand what is  CLEARY written by your own hand, Reverend Munchausen.

You do assure us: 

And let me remind you, that the person that you aspire to be like - Ethang5, has been banned  for saying exactly what you are also saying  and accusing "many" atheists of being;

"ethang5 has been banned for 30 days for an ongoing pattern of unwarrantedly accusing people of being pedophiles seemingly when in any heated disagreement with him".

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Stephen
From a study in 2013, The percent of people in federal prison which called themselves:

1. Religious       99.9%
2. Atheists               .1%

The highest percentage of The Religious group was Protestant at 28.7 %.
The next was Catholic at 24.0 %

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen

Stephen it is obvious when you go back and read my words that you squirm and realize (AGAIN) the errors of your own responses.  The fact that you take my word - "many" and try to make it mean "most".  They are two different words.   If I represent 1000 atheists and say 100 go to prison that is many.  It is not most.  And if 60 of those 100 go to prison for kiddie crime that is "most" of those who to prison.  

As for many of them being impractical and airheads - it is true. Many couldn't change a tyre on their car if needed. They would ring up RACV roadside service.  Many would enjoy sipping a late coffee but wouldn't have a clue how to write a sentence.   In Australia, it's trendy to be an atheist.  It has nothing to do with education or not. This is different to say America where it still reasonably normal to be religious. 

Australia's culture is very different to USA and the UK.  Yes there are similarities - but in respect of religion very different.  Our prisons do not have the same percentage breakup of religious non-religion as America.   

Stephen, would it be too much to ask you to stop being a donkey?  Of course I own my words.  Unlike you. 

I like Ethang5.  He is someone whom I admire. He is head and shoulders in character above either you or the Brother.  I am not entirely sure why he was banned - I don't go about checking other people's sins.   In any event it is the moderators who make a decision about banning people - even as they did with you on how many occasions and also for others.  

I am not Ethang5 if that is what you are trying to suggest.  The moderators have checked that lie out before and I am very HAPPY if they continue to do so.  But your continual accusations - (though you always deny doing any such thing) of such a thing - are really quite boring.  If you don't have anything constructive to say about religion on this site then perhaps you ought to find yourself another hobby, rather than stalking and bullying people.  
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret

Stephen it is obvious when you go back and read my words that you squirm and realize (AGAIN) the errors of your own responses.

Nope you make YOUR opinions extremely clear about what you "KNOW" about " MOST" of the atheist that you have been unfortunate to have met;  It is you that is "squirming" at being reminded;

Tradsecret wrote: 

Stephen, would it be too much to ask you to stop being a donkey?  Of course I own my words. 

Good then stop trying to deny and play down your past comments that are coming back to haunt you.

I like Ethang5.  He is someone whom I admire. He is head and shoulders in character above either you or the Brother.

Well you have made your opinions and your aspirations to be like the misogynist and forum sex pest Ethang5 clear at every opportunity. Here's one instance of many>

Tradesecret wrote:  "Ethang5 is a good friend of mine.  I have know him for a significant period of time. And if you think we are like each other, that is a huge compliment for me.  If I could be more like him, I would"#76 
Well with that comment of yours, I am pleased to inform you that you certainly reached  your aspirations when you posted this>> #33

I am not Ethang5 if that is what you are trying to suggest. 

Like have have said, you have  reached  your aspirations "to be like him"#76  when you posted this>> #33.

If you don't have anything constructive to say about religion on this site then perhaps you ought to find yourself another hobby, rather than stalking and bullying people.  

Who have I "bullied"?  YOU?   You that states often that you are pleased that I resurrect your  past comment's and encourages me to do so?  And that tells me:  

Tradsecret wrote: After all,  you are the swine and the dogs that trample over the pearls.  your comments to me are like water of a ducks back.  #36

Not to mention that you consider me to be:

Tradsecret wrote: the serpent, satan, whatever - he is the accuser and you follow after him. you are his disciple. From my point of view - he is slime. You know like the stuff we find after a snail has passed by. creepy.  disgusting. Ugly. \ #24
Big fkn mistake Reverend.

I'm fine right here Reverend Munchausen, thank you very much.

Mind how you preach. 🤣
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@FLRW
From a study in 2013, The percent of people in federal prison which called themselves:

1. Religious       99.9%
2. Atheists               .1%

But not according to the bible dunce Reverend Munchausen  Tradsecrete that will have it that:

Tradesecret wrote:  Most atheists I know are impractical and airhead.  Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime. Many commit suicide and or are on drugs and alcohol. Not too many get married, or if they do - are on to their 4 or 4th marriage. Many are gay or lesbian. #33

From what I can gather is that many proclaim to be religious only after conviction. And there are many reasons for this by all accounts,

such as this vile bastard;

Chris Watts was sentenced to five life sentences for killing his two daughters, wife, and their unborn baby

"He's apparently found religion while in prison, praying often and telling his family he has proclaimed himself a “servant of God." But when he's not reflecting, he's thinking of his family".

Very fkn convenient, don't you think?.  But he isn't the first and neither will he be the last.  I suppose it gives  the prison Chaplain something  to justify his own purpose,calling & existence.  And of course, the $60.000 a year for talking religious bollocks  helps too.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Stephen

Atheists are not constrained by bronze age superstition,
so thinking is clearer.Theists have to continually uphold abjectly ridiculous assertions as being factual.
This continual assault on cognitive reasoning, muddies the waters, and makes the path to a well reasoned conclusion difficult to follow.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@FLRW
Theists have to continually uphold abjectly ridiculous assertions as being factual.
This continual assault on cognitive reasoning, muddies the waters, and makes the path to a well reasoned conclusion difficult to follow. #27

A+1
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Well Stephen you are not normally so dumb. But I suppose there is a precedence for your foolishness.

USA, the UK and Australia have different communities - and therefore quite reasonably - they have different statistics.  Are you able to deny this and prove that people in Australian prisons are 99% religious and 1% not?  Or are you going to admit that you just recklessly applied the figures by FLRW without doing any research, showing everyone just how STUPID you are - or GULLIBLE you are?

I know you don't want to accept the truth - but most people at court - deny they believe in God. They fund that an amusing question when I ask them - as I do - because I am trying to consider how best to deal with them.   

In Australian prisons - I can't speak for others.  people defend themselves. We have Christian people go in and speak to them. But mostly, they won't even talk about God unless it will help them get out. This is AUSTRALIA. Most convicts are ATHEIST.   Prove me wrong, weasel. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
  Prove me wrong, weasel. 

About what?  I wasn't even concerned about those stats offered by FLRW #23. My point was that many criminals  suddenly find god when their back is against the wall and gave an example. I have more should you wish to read them.

We have Christian people go in and speak to them. But mostly, they won't even talk about God unless it will help them get out. This is AUSTRALIA. Most convicts are ATHEIST. 

And that was my point you absolute cretin!!! And you also say that "Many ATHEIST are kiddie fiddlers and incarcerated for "Kiddie crime", don't you?

Tradesecret wrote:  "Most atheists I know are impractical and airhead.  Many end up in prison, for theft and sex related crimes, mostly kiddie crime. Many commit suicide and or are on drugs and alcohol. Not too many get married, or if they do - are on to their 4 or 4th marriage. Many are gay or lesbian. #33

So looking at your own stats, what number do you regard as "many"  from the "most atheists" that you claim are " drug addled, airhead, lesbian and gay and those you consider to be "kiddie fiddlers"?