To Be-know Or Not To Be-lieve?

Author: Yassine

Total: 64
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
- From a scale of Jon Snow to 10, how much do you know about your belief system? From a scale of 1 to Jesus, how strong is your belief?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Yassine
Of my beliefs, Atheism, Nihilism, Existentialism, Hedonism, Materialism, American Law/Customs/Ethics, World History, Egoism, Limited Altruism, Nationalism.
Knowledge 3/10.
Strength 7/10.
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@Yassine
Regarding politics 

3/10

Regarding religion 

9/10
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
How much do I know about my belief system?
10/10

How strong is my belief in it?
perhaps 9ish out of 10.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Yassine
From a scale of Jon Snow to 10, how much do you know about your belief system? 
I'm going to assume by belief system you mean just my religion because beliefs are basically gathered from several different sources as far as how we function. On that note I'm going to have to say a six. Much of the original practices were lost because of forced conversion to Christianity. Also a lot of the source material for Germanic paganism doesn't exist or has been incorporated into Catholicism where at least Iceland had the Etta's and that the Etta's give a clearer vision of the practice for the Norse than the German. But I'm comfortable with my current practices are appropriate for the gods that I worship and my ancestors. 

From a scale of 1 to Jesus, how strong is your belief?
 I'm going to say 9 of 10 because new experiences and information have changed my belief from time to time. Usually in the sense that I add things to it more than I change or remove things from it.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lemming
Of my beliefs, Atheism, Nihilism, Existentialism, Hedonism, Materialism, American Law/Customs/Ethics, World History, Egoism, Limited Altruism, Nationalism.
Knowledge 3/10.
Strength 7/10.
- That's moderate. You have a bit of inclination elsewhere?

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Bones
Regarding politics 

3/10

Regarding religion 

9/10
-  What's your religion? Politics?

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Yassine
No, I think I just try to take a cautious step in what I believe.
Yassine
Yassine
How much do I know about my belief system?
10/10
- That's very high. People who know less tend to feel higher, who do you feel you know 10/10? 

How strong is my belief in it?
perhaps 9ish out of 10.
- You're a hardcore Taoist? Why don't you post about Taoism? 
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lemming
No, I think I just try to take a cautious step in what I believe.
- What's your next best step?

Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I'm going to assume by belief system you mean just my religion because beliefs are basically gathered from several different sources as far as how we function. On that note I'm going to have to say a six. Much of the original practices were lost because of forced conversion to Christianity. Also a lot of the source material for Germanic paganism doesn't exist or has been incorporated into Catholicism where at least Iceland had the Etta's and that the Etta's give a clearer vision of the practice for the Norse than the German. But I'm comfortable with my current practices are appropriate for the gods that I worship and my ancestors. 
- So you're Norse? I like King Canute. How do you feel about the forced Christian conversions? Do you worship because you're in a journey of truth or in a journey towards tradition?

I'm going to say 9 of 10 because new experiences and information have changed my belief from time to time. Usually in the sense that I add things to it more than I change or remove things from it.
- Of all the different myths, which do you feel most attached to or closer to the truth?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Yassine
Do you mean what actions do I take on account of how much I believe of and in?
Well, for myself  I think,
Materialism, has lead to Nihilism, has lead to Atheism, has lead to Existentialism, has lead to Hedonism, Egoism, Limited Altruism, and Nationalism.
American Law/Customs/Ethics, World History, has lead to American Law/Customs/Ethics, and Nationalism.

I suppose my life plans are to save up money and enjoy life in my hobbies and small wealth.
Be a 'very small help to people who cross my path at times.

I 'do have ideals, opinions on politics, social values,
But I'm not much inclined to dedicate myself to it.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lemming
Do you mean what actions do I take on account of how much I believe of and in?
Well, for myself  I think,
Materialism, has lead to Nihilism, has lead to Atheism, has lead to Existentialism, has lead to Hedonism, Egoism, Limited Altruism, and Nationalism.
American Law/Customs/Ethics, World History, has lead to American Law/Customs/Ethics, and Nationalism.

I suppose my life plans are to save up money and enjoy life in my hobbies and small wealth.
Be a 'very small help to people who cross my path at times.

I 'do have ideals, opinions on politics, social values,
But I'm not much inclined to dedicate myself to it.
- So no journey you are in?

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Yassine
No journeys, no.
Military was 'meant to be one, as I'm not a very motivated person myself, figured the military would 'force me to travel, experience a bit more, but I ended up in one place for four years after training.

Saved up a fair bit of money during the military, but lent most of it to my mother, as she was buying a house, bigger down payment, meant she could afford a nicer house.

So I'm saving up money again, perhaps for a year, perhaps for five,
Perhaps rethink my life, options again at that point.
Depending on how my father is doing, I worry I might lend my money again, though I'd rather not, I 'do feel a strong obligation, and likely the money will return someday.
Still. . . Even if the money saved just goes to myself, it'll only go towards a yet seen venture, to gain more money.
That sooner, rather than later, I can 'stop having to work.

. . .

Of an intellectual or spiritual journey,
I know there is still more to learn,
And I haven't stopped 'thinking, quite.
Still read, talk to people,
But. . . I 'think my values have already undergone their journey, X many years since High School.
May change again, but for the moment, they feel rather set.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lemming
eys, no.
Military was 'meant to be one, as I'm not a very motivated person myself, figured the military would 'force me to travel, experience a bit more, but I ended up in one place for four years after training.

Saved up a fair bit of money during the military, but lent most of it to my mother, as she was buying a house, bigger down payment, meant she could afford a nicer house.

So I'm saving up money again, perhaps for a year, perhaps for five,
Perhaps rethink my life, options again at that point.
Depending on how my father is doing, I worry I might lend my money again, though I'd rather not, I 'do feel a strong obligation, and likely the money will return someday.
Still. . . Even if the money saved just goes to myself, it'll only go towards a yet seen venture, to gain more money.
That sooner, rather than later, I can 'stop having to work.

. . .

Of an intellectual or spiritual journey,
I know there is still more to learn,
And I haven't stopped 'thinking, quite.
Still read, talk to people,
But. . . I 'think my values have already undergone their journey, X many years since High School.
May change again, but f
- Interesting! Gift that owed money to your mother, it will come back to you ten fold. Do it with sincerity & God will guide you towards Him.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Yassine
If I believed in God, and had a clear idea of God, I think there is a strong likelihood I would.
But I no longer believe.
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Lemming
If I believed in God, and had a clear idea of God, I think there is a strong likelihood I would.
But I no longer believe.
- Who knows, maybe you only need a moment of sincerity. You sound like a nice guy.

Bones
Bones
-->
@Yassine
Honestly I don't even know what my politics, it's very central. I see stupid things in both the left and right. 

In terms of religion, I am an atheist. 
Yassine
Yassine
-->
@Bones
Honestly I don't even know what my politics, it's very central. I see stupid things in both the left and right. 
- Too much of that indeed, but you gotta get those votes amirite.

- So the extra 1 of doubt is just for the heck of it.
Bones
Bones
-->
@Yassine

- So the extra 1 of doubt is just for the heck of it.
Because I am not certain - just as how I am not certain of anything. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Yassine
10, I'm rock solid
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Yassine
From a scale of Jon Snow to 10, how much do you know about your belief system?
approximately 1/100.

From a scale of 1 to Jesus, how strong is your belief?
1/100
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
So you're Norse? I like King Canute. How do you feel about the forced Christian conversions? Do you worship because you're in a journey of truth or in a journey towards tradition?
Well Norse is Scandinavian. My family was from North West Germany. Some more German pagan the Norse. While the gods can be the same there are some differences and there of course regional gods that I worship that aren't in Norse mythology. Obviously forced Christian conversion sucks balls. And it was the training ground for colonialism. I started on a spiritual path, that path led me to ancestor work, ancestor work led me to the gods. So it's sort of a combination of traditions/ journey to truth.

I have to think about the other part of the post regarding myths.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Politics 3/10

Religion N/A

Personally 10/10(because one knows as much as one knows)

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Strength:

Politics: 9/10

Personally 10/10(same reason)
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
My religious view is atheism. Given that atheism is not a knowledge claim (at least not for me), I know everything there is to know about it. 10/10

How convinced am I that my religious position is correct: 9/10
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Yassine
I am not hardcore in my practise of Taoism, Taoism cannot be hardcore due to its very belief im balance. I am also a believer in my own religion that just happemed to have a lot in common with Taoism.

What is it that yoy want to know about Taoism woth regards to this thread?

I am a pagan not just a taoist, I have my own conclusions.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Yassine
I do not believe anything that cannot be unequivocally proven.

Though, if something can be unequivocally proven, then belief is unnecessary.

So as far as I am concerned, any theist who says that they believe, is actually saying that they cannot unequivocally prove the basis of their belief.

Belief:

1. An acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.

Synonyms.....guess . speculation . surmise . fancy . notion . suspicion . presumption . assumption . theory . hypothesis . postulation . inference . extrapolation . projection . approximation . rough calculation . rough idea . guesswork . guessing . surmising . imagining . theorizing.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Though, if something can be unequivocally proven, then belief is unnecessary.
well stated
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Yassine
religion is like training-wheels for self knowledge