GAP in TRUMP CALL LOGS on JAN. 6 'suspiciously tailored,' RASKIN SAYS

Author: oromagi

Total: 15
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
GAP in TRUMP CALL LOGS on JAN. 6 'suspiciously tailored,' RASKIN SAYS
By Amy B Wang

The gap in phone logs in the official White House records on Jan. 6, 2021, is of “intense interest” to the House select committee investigating the attack on the U.S. Capitol, Rep. Jamie B. Raskin said Sunday.

In an interview on CBS News’s “Face the Nation,” Raskin (D-Md.) noted that a 7½-hour gap in the phone logs for President Donald Trump’s communications that day covers the period when the Capitol assault was taking place.

Raskin said he and other Jan. 6 committee members have been able to piece together some of Trump’s activities during that time frame based on other people’s interviews and depositions, but holes remain.

“It’s a very unusual thing for us to find that suddenly everything goes dark for a seven-hour period in terms of tracking the movements and the conversations of the president,” Raskin said.

When asked if the gap could possibly be due to incompetence rather than conspiracy, Raskin said the committee was taking that into account. He added, however, that “the gaps are suspiciously tailored to the heart of the events” of Jan. 6, including when several lawmakers later said they were pleading with Trump to intervene.  Raskin noted that the committee was aware that the president took part in calls during that time, “but we have no comprehensive, fine-grained portrait of what was going on during that period, and that’s obviously of intense interest to us.”

The bipartisan Jan. 6 panel is investigating the 2021 storming of the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob that tried to stop the confirmation of Joe Biden’s electoral college win. The attack led to five deaths and left some 140 members of law enforcement injured.

Trump has tried to assert executive privilege to withhold documents from the committee, which last year ordered the former president to provide records of all his actions and activities on Jan. 6. President Biden has rejected Trump’s claims of executive privilege.

Earlier this year, the National Archives and Records Administration turned over to the committee 11 pages of White House records from that day, including the president’s official daily diary and the White House switchboard call logs.

As first reported by The Washington Post and CBS News, those records did not include any documentation of calls placed to or by Trump from 11:17 a.m. to 6:54 p.m. on Jan. 6, 2021.

Raskin added that the committee’s mission is to get “a complete picture” of everything that took place on Jan. 6, as well as what needs to be done “to fortify democratic institutions and processes against future insurrections and coups and attempts to destabilize and overthrow our elections.”

Raskin said he hoped the committee would be able to begin holding long-delayed public hearings in May and was looking for connections between the violent insurrection at the Capitol and what he called the “attempt at an inside coup” orchestrated by Trump against the Constitution.

“I do feel confident we’re going to be able to tell that story,” Raskin said, adding, “Obviously, we’re up against a lot of obstruction now.”

Last week, the committee voted to hold two more former Trump aides — former trade and manufacturing director Peter Navarro and former communications chief Daniel Scavino Jr. — in criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to comply with the committee’s subpoenas. Raskin said the House probably would vote this week on whether to refer Navarro and Scavino to the Justice Department for prosecution.

Like Trump and a raft of other former aides, Navarro and Scavino have tried to claim they are protected by executive privilege and that the subpoenas were an overreach by the committee. They are among the latest in high-profile Trump White House officials facing repercussions for refusing to comply with the Jan. 6 committee’s subpoenas.

Last year, former Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon was indicted on charges of contempt of Congress, which prompted warnings from some Republicans of “payback” that they could do the same to Democrats if they retake control of the House majority in November.

Mark Meadows, a former chief of staff in the Trump White House, also refused to cooperate with the committee, leading to the House voting to hold him in contempt of Congress as well in December.

Separately, a federal judge ruled last week that Trump “more likely than not” committed federal crimes in attempting to stop the confirmation of Biden’s electoral college win.

Asked about the judge’s comments Sunday, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), who has defended Trump frequently and who voted to acquit Trump during his impeachment trials, was noncommittal.

“Well, federal judges say a lot of things and we’ll see how that comes through the process,” Blunt said on ABC News’s “This Week.” “I think the Justice Department has a job to do and they should do it and people who were involved in the planning or execution of illegal activities on Jan. 6 should be prosecuted.”

Bob Woodward and Robert Costa contributed to this report.

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
I find this ironic, because even if the call logs were missing, if there was a gap; what would that prove?

Surely lack of evidence is not evidence right?

...but when data goes missing that should be there, when audits are deflected, when systems to ensure integrity are set aside it's a bit suspicious isn't it?

I respect someone who applies the same principles to both presidential call logs and ballot verification. If you say that questioning the lack of evidence which most certainly should be there in one case is treason against democracy I expect the same stance for the other.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
.....I respect someone who...
You respect some who obstructs  truth findings in government and private business.  Your another one of the 60 million USA Trumpeteer supporters of Jan 6 insurrectionist and their non-sense conspiracy ideas.

1} Reagans hiding of  Iran-contra cocaine  for weapons, ---see Oliver North----,

.....North, long a hero to some on the political right, was convicted in 1989 of three felonies related to the Iran-Contra affair, but his convictions were overturned on appeal in 1990.......

2} needless Bush/Rumsfield Iraq war in search weapons of mass-destruction ---see several countries that have weapons of mass-destruction------

.....Indeed, even before 9/11, then-Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld saw Iraq through the prism of status and reputation, variously arguing in February and July 2001 that ousting Saddam would “enhance US credibility and influence throughout the region” and “demonstrate what US policy is all about”.....

3}  Nixon water-gate ---crimminal pardoned by his successor Republican president Ford----,
FLRW
FLRW

One of the greatest cons of the 21st century was the idea, invented whole cloth by the producers of The Apprentice, that Donald Trump was a genius businessman. Indeed, his time in the White House revealed that not only was he neither a genius businessman nor a genius period, but he was, in fact, in layman’s terms, a big fuckin’ moron. Obviously, the supporting examples are too numerous to mention, but a brief smattering includes his recommendation that people inject household cleaner into their veins; his suggestion that we stop hurricanes by dropping nuclear bombs on them; his decision to look right at a solar eclipse without protective eyewear; and his belief that one can get cancer from the sound of windmills.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@ebuc
[ADOL] I respect someone who applies the same principles to both presidential call logs and ballot verification.
You respect some who obstructs  truth findings in government and private business.  Your another one of the 60 million USA Trumpeteer supporters of Jan 6 insurrectionist and their non-sense conspiracy ideas.
Well that strawman is so obvious I don't need to go into any details beyond restoring the sentence you 'edited'. You know incel-chud had this amazing idea to simply doctor quotes, you could try that next time.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
.....amazing idea to simply doctor quotes, you could try that next time......
Others in this or other forums have attempted to accuse me of the above and it is not true.  Ive seen it done to me in this forum and others.

Everything I stated is true, to the best of my ability to attain truth from writings of others.  That you are a Trumpeteer and supporter of Jan 6 insurrection is evidence of a sad lack of moral integrity involving truth, honesty and civil behavior in a civil society, that, is full straw men like you and Trumpet, whom appear to have little use for a brain, other than for narcissistic gain.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@ebuc
Everything I stated is true, to the best of my ability to attain truth from writings of others. 
Then your English reading comprehension is too poor to allow for rational discussion. I am not engaging (at this time) with all that stuff about Reagan, Nixon, "Trumpeteer" or anything else. You claimed that I respect people who obstruct truth-finding, that is not what I said. I said I respect people who apply principles consistently.

I did not say then, but I will say now that I respect to an even greater degree those who apply the correct principles consistently.

Since you're having trouble understanding the point I will restate it more directly: Anyone who complains about missing evidence against Trump is a hypocrite if they also suggested that missing evidence in the form of ballot mailer correlation, registration records, signature matching (and so much more) must be tolerated.

Here is the respect hierarchy:

Greatest: Someone who believes government should be transparent and verifiable; and would find it equally intolerable that call logs are missing as they would election laws are ignored and ballots rendered unverifiable after the fact.

Medium: Someone who believes questioning any government they deem to be "democratic" to be an endorsement of dictatorship; and would find it equally tolerable that call logs are missing as they would that election laws are ignored and ballots rendered unverifiable after the fact. "How dare you question elections" = "How dare you question the democratically elected president"

Lowest: Someone who claims to believe government should be transparent and verifiable; but only applies high standards of verifiability and transparency when it would gain a political advantage for their tribe. They would consider missing call logs to be proof of the conspiracy of a traitorous president if they did not care for that president. If on the other hand an election is run in an illegal and unauditable way, but the outcome appeared favorable to their tribe, they would claim that questions are treasonous and that trusting the people who would be suspect is a duty.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I did not say then, but I will say now that I respect to an even greater degree those who apply the correct principles consistently.

Dear Trumpeteer, your barking at the moon ---voting fraud as as significant issue in the 2021 electrion---  cause that is what Trumpeteers do 90% of the time. Sad :--(

Everything I stated is true, to the best of my ability to assess the truth, from writings of others. --in this case you---  That you are a Trumpeteer and supporter of Jan 6 insurrection is evidence of a sad lack of moral integrity involving truth, honesty and civil behavior in a civil society, that, is full straw men like you and Trumpet, whom appear to have little use for a brain, other than for narcissistic gain.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ebuc
This is all irrelevant as the insurrection against the Democrats will end after the 2022 midterms when the citizens of America remove those clowns.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Greyparrot
This is all irrelevant as the insurrection against the Democrats will end after the 2022 midterms when the citizens of America remove those clowns.
..." The key difference between a democracy and a republic lies in the limits placed on government by the law, which has implications for minority rights.

..." While often categorized as a democracy, the United States is more accurately defined as a constitutional federal republic. What does this mean? “Constitutional” refers to the fact that government in the United States is based on a Constitution which is the supreme law of the United States. "...

The key differrence between Republicans and Democrats can be seen as this stance on ' right to life '.

Republicans  'right to life', as a seemingly all-binding constitutional legal stance that is morally and leagally sacrosanct gives them this false belief, --that aligns well with Christian fundamentalist------ that a fertilized human egg is placed on level of life, that is as much, or more than, the mother, and her rights via the morality of being the one is more intimately connected to the egg  ----more than any other person on Earth--- and  who carries and nourishes the egg for however many months before the fetus/baby ever takes its first in-spiriting breath of air into its lungs.

Following the above non-sense, they have moved to other means of violating ----virtual rapist everyone of them---    a pregnant womans moral rights to privacy and to what she chooses to do with every aspect of her body.  These people are sick in the head, and if it were the medieval times this sickness would be expressed in much more violent ways by the Republicans, or at least some 50% or more of them.

..." The Declaration of Independence, famously written by Thomas Jefferson, the third president of the United States, is a position paper that cannot be used for legal precedent. "........

ergo right to life is found there, and not in constitution.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ebuc

Maybe Trump was eating pizza for 7-1/2 hours.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
Yeah, reminds of the skit Colbert did on Colbert Report of 400 lb fat guy somehwere in China hacking the internet creating falsehoods. 

So then he shows a fat 400lb Trump in bed in under wear, maybe eating pizza.  So funny.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@oromagi
When will you admit to yourself that you don't know anything.  Your are just you parroting a narrative that fits your confirmation bias. You will never know the truth about anything in Washington DC just like I wont. Why is Trump even a topic of discussion anymore? Shouldn't you be telling us how great Biden is and about all the great things he is doing for the country?  How is my life better with Biden as President foe example? Tell us how the country is prospering better under a Biden presidency. 
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
When will you admit to yourself that you don't know anything.  Your are just you parroting a narrative that fits your confirmation bias. You will never know the truth about anything in Washington DC just like I wont.
That’s only true if you listen to Tucker Carlson and tan your balls.