Does anyone want abortion banned in cases of rape?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 52
Novice
Debates: 22
Novice
  • So you are saying women that get raped over and over again ought to have the full pregnancies until they cave in and go on the pill permanently just in case they are raped again?
  • If the person gets pregnant consistently, It would be a matter of carrying a child consistently.
    • I have yet to find a situation where a woman is allowed to kill the person that assaulted her afterwards.
      • Therefore, why would I conclude that the woman can kill a baby who lacks any form of guilt in this situation?
        • Conclusion: The logic does not even make sense. 

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@oromagi
@SirAnonymous
Even then, the Republican party is not deliberately seceding with the known certainty of starting a civil war.
Not yet. The writing is on the wall though. Here in Texas it is not unusual to to see t-shirts with "Succede", and conservatives have been known to suggest a civil war would favor them because they naively believe 'they have all the guns'. 

If your position is that 'they haven't started a civil war so they are less extreme' ... you may be premature in your assessment.

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Novice
  • I have yet to find a situation where a woman is allowed to kill the person that assaulted her afterwards.

Is a woman allowed to defend herself with lethal force during an assualt? Yes, of course she is. If we assume rapists and the unborn are both people (which isn't necessarily the case) an apples to apples comparison would be *during an assault* and *during an unwanted pregnancy*. 

Therefore, why would I conclude that the woman can kill a baby who lacks any form of guilt in this situation?

You're suggesting a woman can't control her own body. Is there any scenario when your father, brother, or son shouldn't be able to control their own bodies? If not, then you should ask yourself why, in your mind, women are not worthy of the same.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ILikePie5
Such mothers are likely to drink and do things that harm the baby. Currently unless the baby inside thmk literally dies, they cannot benprosecuted fornthebharm towards it as far as I am aware.
And you don’t think that’s evil as well? Do you really want someone like that in society? I’d argue, absolutely not.
Do we really want people who strive to maintain control of their own bodies...yes, absolutely, we do want people like this in a *healthy* society.  
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@SkepticalOne
Do we really want people who strive to maintain control of their own bodies...yes, absolutely, we do want people like this in a *healthy* society.  
By killing babies up to the moment of birth? Wow.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@ILikePie5
it's called "strict border enforcement"
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ILikePie5

What we could use less of is the pretentious 'save the babies' self righteous virtue signaling. It is telling that 'pro-life' advocates are so rarely advocating for programs and policies that would support young mothers or their children. This Pastor Barnhart accurately describes it:

"The unborn are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn."

- Methodist Pastor David Barnhart

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SkepticalOne
What we could use less of is the pretentious 'save the babies' self righteous virtue signaling. It is telling that 'pro-life' advocates are so rarely advocating for programs and policies that would support young mothers or their children. This Pastor Barnhart accurately describes it:
You clearly didn’t read about my position then.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ILikePie5
You clearly didn’t read about my position then.
I read a simplistic framing of a complex and often tragic scenario. Your position appears to be one low on context.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SkepticalOne
I read a simplistic framing of a complex and often tragic scenario. Your position appears to be one low on context.
More like a selective opinion. Your position is abortion till the second the baby comes out of the mom’s stomach. All because of the inconvenience it brings to a woman. It logically does not make sense to kill a human being because they are inconvenient.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ILikePie5
More like a selective opinion. Your position is abortion till the second the baby comes out of the mom’s stomach. All because of the inconvenience it brings to a woman. It logically does not make sense to kill a human being because they are inconvenient.
Yep, that's the simplistic framing of an often tragic scenario I was referring to. Termination of pregnancy so close to term isn't done on a whim or inconvenience. You lack information or integrity. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SkepticalOne
Yep, that's the simplistic framing of an often tragic scenario I was referring to. Termination of pregnancy so close to term isn't done on a whim or inconvenience. You lack information or integrity. 
I would love to see your information on this lol. Either way, it’s unethical to take the life of someone who has done nothing to harm you. If we can protect the eggs of sea turtles, then we definitely ought to protect babies
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ILikePie5
do you consider yourself "anti-war" ?

you know, to save-all-the-babies that are killed in wars ?

do you consider yourself "pro-immigration" ?

you know, to save-all-the-babies that die because of malnutrition and generally unlivable conditions ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike
impressive
Novice
Debates: 22
Novice
I don't even frequently use this forum, but I am yet to see any point that actually explains to us why the circumstances that led to the instanciation of one's life makes their life inherently inferior. 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@ILikePie5
Either way, it’s unethical to take the life of someone who has done nothing to harm you.
Again, your point is low on context: 
1) it is not unethical to prevent someone from using your body
2) pregnancy can certainly be harmful.

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Novice
Unequal treatment. Self ownership should mean the same for all people. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Novice
I don't even frequently use this forum, but I am yet to see any point that actually explains to us why the circumstances that led to the instanciation of one's life makes their life inherently inferior. 
great point
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Novice

Having the DNA of a rapist?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@SkepticalOne
@3RU7AL
@FLRW
I don't mean this as too serious of an argument, but I 'am reminded of Loki's Wager,

I admit, a thought that occurs to me for some rapists who intended to have kids, is rage,
That they should succeed in their aims, feels insulting,
'But, the third party, how can one assign 'any blame or hurt from?

'Does depend on when one believes a third party 'exists, I suppose,
But I still think that's one of Pro Life's most common questions and argument, 'is it a person?

Of DNA though. . .
Well, I imagine we've 'all the DNA of a rapist, murderer, thief, so on so forth, 'somewhere in out DNA,
Just need to go back far enough, perhaps.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Lemming

As psychologist Andrew Solomon writes in his book, Far From the Tree, children conceived of rape are more likely to suffer from severe psychological disorders, the most common of which are Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@FLRW
That doesn't mean children born from rape, should be killed,
But, that people should not rape.