When does a food ceases to keep being that food?

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 5
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I have seen thousands of cases of people saying that pineapple do not belong on pizzas, in fact, more than a hundred have reported that it would be a sin for pineapple to be unironically put on pizzas.

As well, from the Chinese side of media that I have access to, there has been reported japanese twists to a staple Sichuan spicy tofu dish, in which the domestic Chinese have too considered (such that) adding strawberries to it is a disgrace. In fact, then they expressed that they understood what the traditional Italians have felt when they see pineapple pizzas.

But the Hawaiians felt fine and does not consider the pineapple pizza a disgrace, well, for most of them probably.

Then there is nutraloaf. Made from kitchen waste probably(or the equivalent of), this is served in some prisons in the US. It is edible, but no one likes it.

So, what I am thinking is that when pineapple is put upon rolled pizza dough, it ceases to be pizza for some. When strawberries are put onto Sichuan tofu, it ceases to be Sichuan tofu for those who thinks so.

As someone who has a polar mind instead of a linear one, I have always tried to think of different combinations for food. For example, the Hot dog is structurally identical to a taco, so is a pie to a burrito. Well, topographically, and you have to think really hard, because absolutely no one, unless they have huge gaping mouths and are crazier than me in doing everyday things, would eat a pie like they eat burrito.

So, when does a burrito stop being a burrito? When does food stop being food? If a mixture of perfectly edible things is crafted to be something perfectly edible but is so pungent and unsettling when attempting to enjoy it, resulting that even was it edible, it simply wouldn't be eaten, is it even food anymore?

When does a taco become a non-taco? If I put sausage with mustard sauce instead of anything else in a tortilla, is it a taco, or is it a hot dog? If I use layers of tortilla to make a very thick but narrow deep dish pizza, is it a pizza, a pie, or a burrito? When does a kind of food becomes something else, and when does food become something else in general?

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
Well, a tuna sandwich is bread tuna bread,
A tuna sandwich left in the sun for 3 days, may 'still be a tuna sandwich in a sense,
But to me it is now trash,
And I'd object to someone trying to serve it to me.

Some people would have considered my example to be bread tuna and bread,
'Not a tuna sandwich,
Insisting that a sandwich needs mayo, cheese, vegetables, as well.

What we say is food,
Is a general concept.

Maybe some would not consider junk food, 'food,
If it does not give nutrients.

Maybe some would consider junk food, 'food,
As it is tasty and put in their mouths and stomach.

Maybe a toddler would consider mud food,
As it is put in their mouth and stomach,

It's a general concept.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Intelligence_06
Let's agree that the one who prepares the meal gets to describe the dishes any way they want and the food police are not invited to table.

Oftentimes, such controversy is driven by brand name protection.  The  French want to control how Champagne is defined so that only the French make real champagne.  The Swiss want to control how swiss cheese is defined so that Emmentaler is the only true swiss cheese, etc.

Pizzas, Burritos, Tacos are essentially defined by the the preparation of the bread.

Pineapple pizza is delicious.  Pizzas are generally way too salty- salty meats and cheeses on salty bread.   A bright, sweet, acidic tomato sauce can cut that but pineapple can make for a sophisticated complex mouthful.

I have seen thousands of cases of people saying that pineapple do not belong on pizzas, in fact, more than a hundred have reported that it would be a sin for pineapple to be unironically put on pizzas.
If only people brought the same passion they feel about pizza to issues like school shootings.

As well, from the Chinese side of media that I have access to, there has been reported japanese twists to a staple Sichuan spicy tofu dish, in which the domestic Chinese have too considered (such that) adding strawberries to it is a disgrace. In fact, then they expressed that they understood what the traditional Italians have felt when they see pineapple pizzas.
Of course, Chinese food in America is highly Americanized but I know a Sichuan hot tofu dish that I like a lot- usually kind of spicy light tomato sauce and a lot of green onions. Strawberries do sound like the wrong choice for that dish but I'll try anything once.  I could see currents or dried cherries maybe working in that dish.

So, when does a burrito stop being a burrito?
When it becomes an enchilada.

When does food stop being food?
When it becomes nutraloaf.

badger
Debates: 0
badger
I got nothing interesting to say, but I LOVE pineapple on pizza. It's the best topping easy. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@oromagi
When it becomes an enchilada.
Enchiladas are topographically identical to a burrito, so is a pie.

Where would you draw the line between is-a-burrito and not-a-burrito? Unless you are a crazy topographer, no one will enjoy taco like a sub sandwich, or a pie a burrito.

Would you consider this a taco, or a non-taco? Why? (But seriously, this looks better than one with tortilla, personally, regardless if it is taco or not)

When it becomes nutraloaf.
If something is clearly edible and meant to be eaten, why is it not food? What exactly counts as food?