Mafia opinion

Author: badger

Total: 8
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I think you learn more about the game where you have direct CC's. On other sites, you'll have games that are 2 or 3 days of MYLO between CC's. Open setup. Mafia has to CC or lose. I mean, I've never seen that here, is all, and I think you better learn how to read in reading between CC's. You get a read, there's a lynch, you'll learn something. I think waiting days on reads takes away from that positive or negative reinforcement. 
badger
badger
LYLO's rather. I forget shit.

These types of games are also pretty fun. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@badger
We don't really play mafia right.  It's supposed to be a logic puzzle with a relatively restricted set of elements.  The original versions of the game had only a few potential roles.  Therefore, every elimination was highly informative and made significant shifts to the odds.  But we generally pull from a virtually infinite list of roles, powers, game configs rendering eliminations non-informative.  The essential dynamic of gameplay is moved away from logic and POE and placed almost entirely on personality reading- which obviously strongly favors the regular players and increasingly discourages new players from joining.  
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@oromagi
Yeah, it is a pretty steep climb for new players. But I honestly would not want to constantly play Cop9ers. It gets stale after a while. The creative explosion of mafia got the game pretty popular across the internet, from here to MU to the Bulbagarden forums. I honestly think mafia needs to stay creative to survive. To me it seems like the lack of participation here comes from 1) A lack of new users finding and staying on this site, 2) Poor modding becoming more common (partially my fault) and 3) The existing inactivity feeding into the second of these issues. When old players leave, new players to easily welcomed into modding games without having been a co-mod for a more experienced mod. 

If I recall on DDO, there was a number of games played requirement to mod a game. Honestly, I wonder if we should bring that back to up the standard for average game quality. Now we just need the site to attract enough new members (and reclaim old members) for a good mod (or a mod with some help from a good mod) to get a game going, which goes back to the issue of site inactivity. It's a slow effort to climb out of the pit mafia is in right now, but it's still possible.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@oromagi
Everything you said is basically pointless, since we don't have a large enough playerbase.

Actually I meant to @Mhar, oops.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->@oromagi
Everything you said is basically pointless, since we don't have a large enough playerbase.
Not pointless, since we don't play as intended however many players participate and, I'd suggest, we might have more players if we did.
badger
badger
-->
@oromagi
I agree completely. I think every game should be open setup. That makes it a logic puzzle once again. It also affords cool af reads sometimes. And there's plenty of room for creativity in that. 
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Earth
That's why it's such a pit. We need to scrape together whoever we can find just to get a good game going. While ramping up efforts to get the site searched on Google and the like.