Why EV’s? Why not hybrids?

Author: cristo71

Total: 25
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
It appears to be a given that electric vehicles (EVs) are going to be increasing in number into the foreseeable future as THE superior alternative to internal combustion engines (ICE). My concern is that EVs have definite disadvantages, such as limited range, long charge times, drain on the electrical grid, heavy batteries… it seems to me that plug in hybrids would be the best of both worlds or at least serve as a more workable transition until the infrastructure is better suited to pure EVs.

So, why the current uncompromising trend toward pure EVs?

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@cristo71
When all the factors are taken together—purchase price, range, refueling costs, maintenance and experience—EVs are simply a better investment. Their net emissions are lower, they require less maintenance, they actually cost less over the lifetime of the vehicle, and they're just more fun to drive.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@FLRW
Ah, I see. From what I have gathered, it seems to be a matter of properly incentivizing electrical grid usage times. My other concern is getting all the materials required for all the batteries…

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Any serious attempt to reverse climate change should include providing comprehensive public transportation and phasing out as many personal vehicles as possible. The answer is not more electric cars it is more trains and buses and fewer cars of all kinds.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@secularmerlin
Exactly.

We've had motorised personal transport for how long?

150 years approx.

And now life would be soooooo intolerable if we didn't have such a luxury.

Typical human behaviour I suppose.

People often forget to use their legs these days.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
When an electric car catches on fire all the fire department can do is continually douse it with water until the battery cools down enough the car won't melt. If it's in a parking garage you're really screwed because the car has the potential to ruin the parking garage. Since the issue with electric cars are heat not flames foam does not work on them. That was a very interesting conversation I recently had with a fireman who was inspecting a building I was in. His concern was that one of the Victorian buildings next door that had parking in the back if an electric car ever started to have a problem where they were called that they would literally have to stay there and keep it wet and cool or possibly even drop the car in the river to keep that antique building from burning down. He felt they should completely restrict electric cars from even being aloud inside the parking area. I'm not even sure the average person is aware of that it's just a concern obviously there's concerns with typical cars and fires just saying every option has sets of difficulties electric cars are no different.
As far as some other statements here it's very clear that some people hate that Americans and other countries have rural areas that require personal vehicle. The contempt the average atheist has for the average person is disgusting.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
It's because everybody knows EVs are cool as shit and hybrids are for ladies. 

No bullshit. I would drive a Tesla but never be caught dead in some gay ass hybrid 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
That's one way of looking at it.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@secularmerlin
Any serious attempt to reverse climate change should include providing comprehensive public transportation and phasing out as many personal vehicles as possible. The answer is not more electric cars it is more trains and buses and fewer cars of all kinds.

7.95 billion humans on Earth and here is real time accounting LINK

This above  is #1 major issue for climate considerations. 

2} spiritual morality to respect truth and act accordingly in support of ecological systems that sustain humans on Earth.

3} is lowering greenhouse gas emissions and,

.......#3} carbon sequestering ergo reversing of already has been released to atmosphere.

4}  mass transit is critical to limiting greenhouse gas emissions,

......4a} the source of energy used to move the mass-transit ex solar, wind, hydro  is enough for appropriate human population,

.......4b}  nuclear is next most likely to be global accepted source to meet larger human population, however, the fear of short and long term release of ionizing radition into environment locally and globally, and nuclear weapons proliferation ergo more military state of paranoia existence.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Roughly half of all people are "ladies". Your argument doesn't therefore hold water. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@FLRW
When all the factors are taken together—purchase price, range, refueling costs, maintenance and experience—EVs are simply a better investment. Their net emissions are lower, they require less maintenance, they actually cost less over the lifetime of the vehicle, and they're just more fun to drive.
well stated
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@secularmerlin
Roughly half of all people are "ladies". Your argument doesn't therefore hold water. 

Couples often make buying decisions together, particularly when purchasing cars that they might be sharing. Also men are more willing to spend extra money on vehicles and since electric vehicles and hybrids are more expensive than traditional vehicles it means the main demographic for electric/hybrids is men. 

It makes more financial sense to market Tesla's to douchebags as a status symbol than to market faggy hybrid vehicles to men who care much more about not being faggy than they do saving on fuel costs
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Your argument is silly. The decide between who is willing and indeed able to spend more money than necessary is not a gender line it is a class line. That is why public transportation is better for society than any number of personal electric vehicles. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Any man worried about being called a "fag" is not going to buy an electric car. Those are the kind of guys that drive trucks and SUVs and talk about how fossil fuels are pretty much the only way to go they wouldn't be caught dead in something that didn't burn gasoline. And they marry the kind of women that need an SUV because they have two kids and they might need to drive in the snow who don't understand the difference between front rear and rear wheel drive and that small cars or smaller cars go just as easy in the weather as a big SUV. I made the mistake one time of looking at a couple and telling them they had a nice car and they both immediately looked at me and said it's an SUV. Now it was one of those crossover things that you kind of can't tell but they were offended that I didn't call their vehicle SUV because that's the status. Not going to convince a lady with two kids that has to run to a bunch of freaking sporting events or dance classes or anything else where she might have to put anything in her car to get something less than like a six seat vehicle. The last thing anybody wants to do is look like they're driving a station wagon or some other type of car that their parents had. I know people that will give up eating out a few times a month to afford to gas to keep their SUV.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@secularmerlin
Your argument is silly. The decide between who is willing and indeed able to spend more money than necessary is not a gender line it is a class line.
I refuse to believe you are mentally retarded and don't realize that there are some things women spend more money on such as nail polish and beauty supplies and some things men spend more on such as cars and fishing poles.

I refuse to believe you are retarded enough to think class lines are the most influential thing in these matters. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
A lot of the electric vehicle companies realize this and are making SUV type vehicles fortunately. We'll see changes to this starting next year

32 days later

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@secularmerlin
Your argument is silly. The decide between who is willing and indeed able to spend more money than necessary is not a gender line it is a class line. That is why public transportation is better for society than any number of personal electric vehicles.
This goes way beyond public transport - and is actually an issue with how cities themselves are designed. City design over the last 50 years has revolves around cars; suburbs where access to food, shopping, schools, work are difficult to access by foot; lack of dedicating sidewalks and bikes together with large roads outside residential areas making walking and cycling much more dangerous - so people drive. Because people drive, there are fewer people walking - which makes it feel more unsafe, which means fewer people walking; all those people driving are now making it more dangerous for pedestrians and the cycle continues. Add to that low density housing that makes it way harder to justify public transit costs, and leads to the vicious cycle of no one using public transport because there isn’t the service, but there isn’t the service because no one is using it.

I don’t disagree with comprehensive public transport at all - this is just to point out the issue with cars runs way, way deeper than just the nature of alternatives.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Ramshutu
This goes way beyond public transport - and is actually an issue with how cities themselves are designed.
Humanity is doomed?  Possibility not however, whats it really going to take, to change the behavior's of humanity?

Fuller tried to point humanity in a direction.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Ramshutu
this is just to point out the issue with cars runs way, way deeper than just the nature of alternatives.
good point
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@secularmerlin
I forgot to mention, start 0:45 to get straight to the prototype city Fuller designed.

Fuller tried to point humanity in a direction.

and;

..." So as part of a planned network of dedicated bike roads, Eindhoven asked design firm ipv Delft to come up with a way for cyclists to fly over the stop-and-go. Completed in 2012, the $8 million Hovenring is the rare piece of cycling infrastructure that isn’t an afterthought—a green strip alongside parked cars or a bike symbol painted on a bus lane. The 1,000-ton steel deck is suspended by 24 cables from a towering space needle........

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@cristo71

I am waiting for the first fusion powered vehicle. I realize that it will be Chinese.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
Then go and live in China or stfu with you constant whining and moaning.

China treats its citizens as right-wing and psychopathic as it can, it is called left-wing because it chooses to bastardise the term.
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@FLRW
Sounds like a 20+ year wait. What will you drive in the meantime?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@cristo71

My Prius

36 days later

Lair77
Debates: 4
Lair77
For the same reason that cars with bluetooth audio don't also have cassette tape players