Supreme Court has overturned Roe V Wade

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 168
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court has overturned the monumental Roe v. Wade case that legalized abortion across the America.
The 6-3 decision on Friday followed the early May leak of a draft opinion indicating which way the justices would rule. That leak prompted protesting across the nation, particularly in Washington, D.C. as well as dozens of attacks and vandalism of pro-life organizations, centers, and churches.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote that Roe and a subsequent case, Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which upheld Roe, both must be overturned, and the right to allow, deny, or restrict the right to an abortion must reside with states.

Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” the opinion states. “We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision.”"

I never thought it would happen to be honest. But a W nonetheless
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
We coat hangar manufacturers (in China) are going to make a fortune.
FLRW
FLRW

Will the 13th Amendment be next?
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I disagree with everything you said in that last sentence. Saw this coming a mile away, and it is most definitely not "a W".

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@whiteflame
I disagree with everything you said in that last sentence. Saw this coming a mile away, and it is most definitely not "a W".
#PromisesMadePromisesKept

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@FLRW
Will the 13th Amendment be next?
You can’t overturn an amendment without another amendment lol
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I never thought it would happen to be honest. But a W nonetheless
This was possible because of one person: Donald John Trump

#PromisesMadePromisesKept
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@ILikePie5
And McConnell. Don't forget the seats he stole, Gorsuch and Barrett. 
FLRW
FLRW

Vatican City  prohibits abortion under all circumstances including rape and incest.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@ludofl3x
And McConnell. Don't forget the seats he stole, Gorsuch and Barrett. 
“Stole.” You mean fulfill his duty of advising and consenting.

I hate Mitch, but man knows how to play politics for sure.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
Well, I suppose people can vote and/or move to states where they think abortion 'is right, or wrong.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It is so funny how the House and Senate and Presidency are all blue but they have done nothing to try and take away red policies. Just proof of there incompetency as a party

2. I do not consider this a W. I am pro life, however, our government should have no say in what a person can do with their bodies. It is simply not anyone's decision besides that person. To deny person that liberty violates the freedoms promised in our constitution. I would much rather have a government that let things happen that a government that is actively restricting peoples liberties
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
My issue with abortions come with the public funding of abortion, where tax dollars go into abortion clinics. Abortions are a human mistake and should be taken out that humans pocket, not a taxpayer
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Nothing in that court ruling is stopping Democrats from running an abortion platform to get 2/3 support for a national Amendment to the Constitution....oh yeah, that inflation thinghy...
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Vader
It is so funny how the House and Senate and Presidency are all blue but they have done nothing to try and take away red policies. Just proof of there incompetency as a party
They’re focused on J6.

2. I do not consider this a W. I am pro life, however, our government should have no say in what a person can do with their bodies.
That’s not what SCOTUS did. They said the Constitution holds no right to abortion and thus the representatives of the people ought to determine the laws regarding abortion.

It is simply not anyone's decision besides that person. To deny person that liberty violates the freedoms promised in our constitution.
If you mean the rights of the unborn then yes.

I would much rather have a government that let things happen that a government that is actively restricting peoples liberties
Talk to your state government official, not the Supreme Court
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Nothing in that court ruling is stopping Democrats from running an abortion platform to get 2/3 support for a national Amendment to the Constitution....oh yeah, that inflation thinghy...
Funny how all of sudden libs know what a woman is
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Funny how all of sudden libs know what a woman is

"With Roe in place, the United States has also been an international outlier on abortion rights, but in the other direction. Few countries allow abortion without restriction until fetal viability, the cutoff set by Roe v. Wade half a century ago — currently around 23 weeks, because of medical advances. That makes the United States one of just over a dozen countries that allow abortions for any reason beyond 15 weeks of pregnancy, the threshold in the Mississippi law that the Supreme Court considered in its private vote to overturn Roe. France and Colombia recently joined that group."

USA is forced to join the rest of the developed world that has no national rights for on-demand abortions up to the 9th month. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ILikePie5
no it wasn't. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@whiteflame
50 years and it wasnt overturned. So yeah, a bit surprising in my view.

And, it is a W
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
No it isn't. This is proof that the SCOTUS is the most powerful institution in the whole country. There is NO way you can fight them, and they can really make any ruling they want to make

2. I do not consider this a W. I am pro life, however, our government should have no say in what a person can do with their bodies. It is simply not anyone's decision besides that person. To deny person that liberty violates the freedoms promised in our constitution. I would much rather have a government that let things happen that a government that is actively restricting peoples liberties
You don't have the liberty to murder a human baby. The government should uphold moral values and principles that actually help the nation. Which includes banning abortion. There is no need to construct an imaginative civic idea of "gubberment should have no say" when in reality, the government will ALWAYS have a say and influence behavior, as it should really.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Dr.Franklin
50 years and it wasnt overturned. So yeah, a bit surprising in my view.

And, it is a W

How many countries have their abortion policy decided by courts, versus democratically? The US is truly a global outlier in allowing judges to remove this issue from the political process. The same people engaging in performative hand-wringing about the so-called decline of "democracy" in America are perfectly happy to have unelected judges decide major issues of public policy (so long as the outcome suits them).
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Dr.Franklin
The overruling of Prop 187 was particularly disgusting because it effectively extended Constitutional rights to non-citizens.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Greyparrot
correct
thett3
thett3
A good lesson in not flying too close to the sun. If liberals in the 60s and 70s had pushed a law permitting abortions nationwide in the first trimester and banning them after that, the standard that’s the law of the land in most developed countries, that would be the law of the land today. But doing so would’ve taken political capital and wouldn’t have been as extreme a standard as the one Roe set. While it didn’t seem obvious at the time, fifty years is after all a long time, it was inevitable that eventually there would be a majority on the Supreme Court that respected the law and the constitution, which clearly is silent on abortion. Live by the judiciary die by the judiciary basically 
FLRW
FLRW

Donald Trump in Leaked Audio: I Can ‘Do Anything’ to Women. I guess he can.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
At least Donald Drumphles knew what a woman was.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

Do any protesters at The Supreme Court have signs that say " Hang Alito" ?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@FLRW
Do any protesters at The Supreme Court have signs that say " Hang Alito" ?
If they do, they’re insurrectionists
thett3
thett3
While it didn’t seem obvious at the time, fifty years is after all a long time, it was inevitable that eventually there would be a majority on the Supreme Court that respected the law and the constitution, which clearly is silent on abortion. Live by the judiciary die by the judiciary basically 
I can't imagine how pro-life people felt at the time. Abortion wasn't nearly the polarized and hot button issue it is today back then but Roe was so unbelievably inappropriate and such transparent legislating from the bench...it had to have felt awful. 

Fortunately now we have such reliable and widely available methods of contraception that abortion has been rendered obsolete by technology if people are willing to take even the most basic level of care. Hopefully many of the babies that otherwise would have been aborted are never conceived to begin with as people recognize unprotected sex with a non committed partner as the extremely risky behavior it is and change their behavior to match