I just want to give a massive THANK YOU to those who made liking forum posts much more usual here

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 40
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
I have read thousands of threads and what I have noticed is that in the older ones, most constructive posts don't get a single like. Whereas now if you say anything, you are being liked on that forum post. That is a good thing, it shows you that your posts are being read and respected by another fellow user on the site, as well as that it...boosts your like counter and fuels your arrogance...heheh...(although that is not the main point)

But the main thing is that in crucial threads here, most posts get not only a like but two or three, with the exceptionally useful tips getting five or more, whereas they are on par with the quality of posts of generally what you would expect a single like two or three years ago. Liking posts not only has been brought up, but it is a common behavior here. I find myself liking other posts much more often than before, before a certain point I didn't even realize there is a like button, and just read on without showing a feedback of respect even if I do. Discussions are really getting more civil, it seems, as you are firm to be respected no matter which standpoint you are on(although, a Nazi deserves no like on his posts exhibiting this view, obviously). Bottom line, I am pleased with it. Thank you.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@3RU7AL
I believe there are many people here who do that, but right now I am just going to tag the most obvious one I know of. Thank you.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
All they have done is inflated the currency, deflating its value.

I liked from the start and only like the worthy.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@RationalMadman
All social media have on average comments with thousands of likes. While that is simply unrealistic for DART, I believe it is better if how valuable a post is is determined by how many likes it has, rather than whether if it has any likes.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
I prefer to judge the value of a post based on my own brain abd the contents of said post.

I have seen crap posts with many likes and vice versa. I am not concerned about others' opinion of a post when it comes to ascertaining its value.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@RationalMadman
That is okay, although maybe this thread is not about you. You can be yourself for an indefinite long period of time.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I have given likes from the start to those that earned it.

This thread is not only partly about me but is a thread on DART that ant DART user is free to engage with.

By giving likes to everybody, 3RU7AL has made it mean nothing at all that a person is liked often. I do not see that as a good thing.

I also do not care much about it. Some of my better posts have generally only got 3 likes only or perhaps 2 or 1 while some of my quick retorts have 4 or at least 3.

Likes do not mean anything on social media, to me, the system is a joke. Popularity is not strongly correlated with high quality but rather with above average and easily accessible and relatable.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@RationalMadman
3ru7al has encouraged other users to like posts. As a user for 2 years I can say of course that in my first few months I wasn't even aware that you can like posts. For that period, I don't press the like button even if the post is "based". 3ru7al has stimulated people to press the like button when they think a post is of enough quality. And that is what we see here. We don't see like 12 likes on every post even if that person was spewing unfunny ironic shit. Instead, we see 1 like on regular responses and 2 on better ones, and 5 or more on the best ones here. While 3ru7al isn't "just" at liking due to him giving likes to all sorts of posts in practically every thread he ever visits and responds to, he made people, such as me, to do what you always had done: Liking posts, instead of leaving that function in the darkness.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Ive seen 2 on the vest posts and 4 on unfunny and rather uninteresting stuff that just is shitposting or a shallow comeback.

I am not sure where you have seen this strong correlation between quality and popularity.

If anything I became rather discouraged to bother with likes. 3ru7al actually led mikal and lunatic to accuse me of liking my own posts and humiliating me over a lie that 3ru7al made seem true  during the campaign phase.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@RationalMadman
Ive seen 2 on the vest posts and 4 on unfunny and rather uninteresting stuff that just is shitposting or a shallow comeback.
Using individual exceptions to disprove a macroscopic pattern? That is unbecoming of a debater at your level. I think this just means your sense of humor, etc, are different from others. You have the right to determine what is funny or not for yourself, but you don't have the right to determine that for other people.

Plus, more visited topics tend to get more likes. A singleton topic with little to no responses(@ebuc) get only 1 or 2 likes even when they include well-planned thinking, whereas 2 is the usual number for a popular topic.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Using individual exceptions to disprove a macroscopic pattern? That is unbecoming of a debater at your level. I think this just means your sense of humor, etc, are different from others. You have the right to determine what is funny or not for yourself, but you don't have the right to determine that for other people.
You weren't talking about a pattern.

There is no trend, no strong correlation between quality of post and the likes it gets, your OP here is proof of that on its own. It's a lot more about where the thread is, who it addresses and how one goes about pleasing the audience or not.

You said this:

I believe it is better if how valuable a post is is determined by how many likes it has, rather than whether if it has any likes.
To which I have continually explained my issue with it only for you to pretend I am denying a pattern/trend which is the very thing I am saying is not a trend nearly as strongly correlated as you are implying.

I would like you to go to a forum thread that has many likes in it and ignore the like counter if you can, I want you to rank the posts in terms of quality, even factoring in entertainment value. Then I want you to look at the likes, you will most likely be shocked. Even if you are not shocked, I couldn't care less.

I do not have to conform to the tastes of others, you are correct. I do not thank the inflater of likes that has ruined what it means to get one, it makes the achievement/medal so damn empty.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
@Intelligence_06
A Zedku for Intel and RM.

Read a post,

Like a post,

Click the like button.

Simple.

RM typical,

Overthink.

Chill Bro.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Intelligence_06
Discussions are really getting more civil, it seems,
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Chill bro and like the posts you don't like too, chill bro chill. Thank you 3ru7al for inflating the currency of likes.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Perhaps we're missing a dislike button.

Not much point in a like button if one has to like what one dislikes.

Perhaps we also need a neutral button whereby one simply  praises a contribution, irrespective of content appreciation.

A well done for having a go button as it were.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
It has been psychologically researched by the people behind things like Facebook and YouTube, that having a dislike button has a net-negative effect on the community and environment, in contrast having a like button and people lacking likes is a net-positive form of negative feedback that tends to constructively lead to higher participation and productivity from the content creators and contributors.

I am not surprised that YT got rid of its dislike button, not even slightly shocked. I was actually surprised that they kept it for so long.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Good morning RM.

Who do you think instantly liked your post.

And I hope you realised that my previous post was facetious.

Yes...No dislike button for a reason.

Alternative opinions are valid.

Alternative opinions maketh the discussion.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@RationalMadman
Having a dislike button on a site where practically every post is a hot take(at least could be) would likely make the site worse. Like buttons likely shows that your post has been read and respected by other users on this site.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
@Intelligence_06
Like buttons remind of reviews at amazon or other places.  It is a bit like the debate system of winning or not.

I agree with Rat-man, proof is in the pudding and we each have differrent likes of taste.

The best way to show appreciation, or not,  of the content, is to address it.

Mind meets mind in a tussle for discovering truth
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Thanks for agreeing.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
if you're concerned about vote-value, start paying for them

if anyone wants a free account and some tokens, let me know

75 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@Intelligence_06
I have read thousands of threads and what I have noticed is that in the older ones, most constructive posts don't get a single like. Whereas now if you say anything, you are being liked on that forum post. That is a good thing, it shows you that your posts are being read and respected by another fellow user on the site, as well as that it...boosts your like counter and fuels your arrogance...heheh...(although that is not the main point)

But the main thing is that in crucial threads here, most posts get not only a like but two or three, with the exceptionally useful tips getting five or more, whereas they are on par with the quality of posts of generally what you would expect a single like two or three years ago. Liking posts not only has been brought up, but it is a common behavior here. I find myself liking other posts much more often than before, before a certain point I didn't even realize there is a like button, and just read on without showing a feedback of respect even if I do. Discussions are really getting more civil, it seems, as you are firm to be respected no matter which standpoint you are on(although, a Nazi deserves no like on his posts exhibiting this view, obviously). Bottom line, I am pleased with it. Thank you.
Let’s put it to the test.

Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
I don't think I want a like button on this site anymore.

For one, it takes a lot less effort to press the like button than to make a +1 post, and it takes considerably less time as well. Sure, it's all in small amounts, but I'm seeing a lot more likes on a single post than I ever saw on a single thread back on DDO, which indicates there are many people too lazy to type '+1' but not lazy enough to avoid clicking the like button. So +1 posts wouldn't be the problem people (my past self included) think they would be.

For another, the like button is ineffective at encouraging good posting. People with ideas and the want to express them will do so without a button. People who need a like button to motivate them to use their brains are not people who are going to have a smart take. They will type the bare minimum amount of word vomit needed to sound smart to some people and nothing else. On a site with so many opinions (many of them being strange ones) it can be hard to spot who's actually doing this until the button is removed and they stop posting, but there are definitely users who do this.

Finally, the like button can cause ratios. The like button as a function of quality control works well for YouTube videos (especially tutorials) and meme platforms, but on a site like this it only showcases how many people agree with you. As a result, people get unwarranted confidence in their stupid arguments because some people on the internet agreed with them. Meanwhile people get unwarranted despair in their decent arguments because no one agreed with them. This creates a user base whose logic can be summed up to being a giant appeal to the majority fallacy.

So congratulations. You've received your mild amount of dopamine from giving as well as receiving likes. For what? What pride is there in someone else agreeing with you? Who cares? If you do care, you're probably going to get mildly upset when you receive no likes or a ratio anyways. So why even bother then? Don't. Just post your actual ideas, and don't bother altering them just for likes.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Intelligence_06

--> @Intelligence_06

Let’s put it to the test.
It works!!

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Intelligence_06
I have read thousands of threads and what I have noticed is that in the older ones, most constructive posts don't get a single like. Whereas now if you say anything, you are being liked on that forum post.
  • I feel compelled to point out that the like button is a relatively recent option- Autumn 2020, I believe.  The reason you don't see any likes on earlier posts is because that wasn't an option before then and only people looking back through old posts would do any liking.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@whiteflame
Lock the thread, someone is spamming.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Intelligence_06
Deleted the spam and banned the user.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
It is likely that the user was an alt of Shila, considering that Shila foreshadowed a 'test' that she says succeeded.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
I want to point out the fact that this spam possibly permanently broke my notices system. It is forever orange and shows his spam as messages, taking out the surprise whenever I open the site once more.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Intelligence_06
Is it on your PMs or your blue bell icon?