Do u change your mind much from debating?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 21
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
It looks like no one changes their mind much.  I the think it's rare, but I also suspect folks just don't vocalize much when they r swayed.

I change my mind more than I do a good job expressing
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Changing of the mind is inevitable. Even if you don't "move", your consciousness is clearly progressing through the time dimension. Your mind changes, it picks information never picked up before because it is new.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
No and this is an issue I have with people who preach 'openmindedness' as a core value.

I was openminded, I came to my conclusions and they are correct. Very rarely (not 'never', 'rarely' is not the same thing) I have a life-changing event or listen to a life-changing speech etc that alters my view on a matter that I had the strong opposite outlook on.

It's rare, it's happened and most of the time nowadays, I'm just fucking correct or wrong for the right reasons and just need to tweak my theorising to apply it to a specific study or situation.

It's not arrogance if you really are smart enough and I don't value my intelligence that highly. I have emotional temperament issues that I will lifelong handle and battle, I don't know what others say but battling chronic sadness, anger and jealousy isn't easy and the hardest part is typing it in a place like this right now without feeling too much fear posting it.

I am a negative person deep down, I can say life broke me and it really kind of did but I was always a very 'alert' being, which has its plusses and its minuses. I have flaws is my point, I'm also ridiculously gifted at comprehending ideas on a deep level. Take from that what you will.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@n8nrgim
It looks like no one changes their mind much.  I the think it's rare, but I also suspect folks just don't vocalize much when they r swayed.

I change my mind pretty often.  Not so much on big picture ideology so much but I change my mind often about the strength or logic of some approach. The change comes more often during research than from opponent's arguments- I assume some claim is true, look it up and am disappointed to discover it is debunked or not as hard a fact as I thought.  But I'm not likely to express any wavering within the context of a debate since that would be terrible tactics. 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgim
I think I less often change my opinion from 'one conversation or in an hour,
But often change my opinion over the course of many conversations or years.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
@Intelligence_06
Very true.

Changing ones mind.

Data in,

Data assessment/reassessment.

Data modification.

Because of Dart, I have certainly modified the way that I approach certain issues.

Though as Lemming suggests, instant changes are rare and only relative to obvious errors in understanding.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@RationalMadman
The value of open mindedness isn’t about changing your positions. We see things the way we do for a reason, so unless we’re completely ignorant of a situation at the start it’s a very unlikely outcome. The value is in the willingness to listen to and understand the opposition. If more people were open minded that doesn’t mean we’d all agree, but we would at least be in a place where destroying the opposition because they are evil and a systemic threat to the country would not be nearly everyone’s top priority. Maybe then, improving our way of life would be what we talk about instead.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@n8nrgim

i've noticed that for myself, sometimes it takes a few years for me to adopt an idea i initially laughed at
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@n8nrgim

29 days later

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
There's a lot of stuff I'll see debates for that I just haven't really thought about before. In terms of debates that I accept and put out, I have usually given at least an hour of serious thought about it. Part of that process includes trying to come up with counterarguments and different viewpoints. Because of this, my own debates are usually unlikely to change my mind, but there have been some.
Regardless, this website isn't about changing minds, it's about the ART of Debate. It's in the name and everything. A significant percentage of my votes have gone to people I disagreed with purely bc they did a much better job, and that's how it should be.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
If there is a debate between truly contradicting positions that doesn't sway one side there are three possibilities:

1.) Unquantified confidence in premises (inductive arguments), which generally render the debate of questionable use.
2.) The "debate" was flawed, i.e. uncaught fallacies advanced, false premises shared.
3.) The observers are flawed in prejudice, virtue, or logical training.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
When discussing topics that I might not have a lot of information on or don't know a lot about sure. When it comes to bigger moral issues and social issues not usually. I am over 50 plenty well set in how I feel about certain things. Not going to all of a sudden give up my morals because somebody said hey I don't agree with you. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
said hey I don't agree with you.
That's not debate, that's just counter-assertion.

To debate you need more than a set of beliefs, you need to know why you believe them; then you need to communicate with the other guy and he has to understand your arguments.

It's a non-starter when people can't justify their own beliefs.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@n8nrgim

I suspect not many change their mind during a debate or during a discussion.

What does happen is that you notice the weakness in your argument, or strength in your opponent, and that leads to a redress; there’s an issue you thought was valid but you realize isn’t. It all goes to turn the oil tanker of thinking around.

As long as your constantly seeking criticism - and are seeking defend everything you belief in the face of it: the correctness of your beliefs will largely take care of itself.

16 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Not during the debate, but maybe after depending what I am arguing. (I stopped debating awhile ago)
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@n8nrgim
Sometimes. 

There's not really much more to say here. Sometimes someone is objectively right when I am objectively wrong, and so I change my opinion on the issue because I can't find anything to debunk their argument.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Vader
Do debates change your mind?

Not during the debate, but maybe after depending what I am arguing. (I stopped debating awhile ago)
So now you have nothing to stop you from changing your mind i.e. after you stopped debating a while ago.

17 days later

ahiyah
ahiyah
I think you'd have to be kind of naive or very easily influenced to get your mind changed in a debate on the internet. That's *if* you genuinely believe what you're arguing for, anyway. 

I used to think I was pro-abortion, but I didn't really understand the reasons why...it just seemed like the "right" and "logical" way to be. Then I became pregnant, and then pregnant again...and now I have two young children. I'm ardently anti-abortion now.

I also used to support a certain country, whereas now I don't care as much. 

Although we can gain insight and new ideas from people we debate, change is always down to us. You have to be ready and you have to come to your own *personal* realizations, which are caused by experiences you go through and your own learning. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@ahiyah
I think you'd have to be kind of naive or very easily influenced to get your mind changed in a debate on the internet. That's *if* you genuinely believe what you're arguing for, anyway. 

I used to think I was pro-abortion, but I didn't really understand the reasons why...it just seemed like the "right" and "logical" way to be. Then I became pregnant, and then pregnant again...and now I have two young children. I'm ardently anti-abortion now.

I also used to support a certain country, whereas now I don't care as much. 

Although we can gain insight and new ideas from people we debate, change is always down to us. You have to be ready and you have to come to your own *personal* realizations, which are caused by experiences you go through and your own learning. 
A convincing argument can make you think and reconsider your position.
ahiyah
ahiyah
-->
@Shila
yes bot
Shila
Shila
-->
@ahiyah
--> @Shila
yes bot
That was easy!!