MANAFORT ADMITS to RUSSIAN COLLUSION, LYING UNDER OATH

Author: oromagi

Total: 52
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
(But it's totally fine because he only did it for the money)

Paul Manafort told Insider he gave Trump data to Russians to lay the groundwork for future business deals
Camila DeChalus 

• Paul Manafort denies that he shared polling data with Russians to help Trump win in 2016.
  • Manafort says that he shared the information to lay the groundwork for future business deals.
  • Manafort has previously failed to recall certain details about him sharing data with his associate.
Donald Trump's 2016 campaign chairman Paul Manafort told Insider in an exclusive interview that he shared campaign polling data with a suspected Russian intelligence officer to lay out the groundwork for future business dealings for himself and not to help Trump get elected.

"It was meant to show how Clinton was vulnerable," he told Insider.

He was trying to leverage his connections with Trump to get more money from "pro-Russia oligarchs," Manafort added.

Manafort acknowledged he was aware that he shared confidential polling data from the Trump campaign with Konstantin Kilimnik, a business associate with suspected ties to Russian intelligence. In 2021, the Treasury Department found that Kilimnik then shared data deemed as "sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy" with Russian spies. The Department then sanctioned Kilimnik for this transaction. 

Manafort pushed back on the claim that the information was sensitive and told Insider that the data he shared with the business associate "was a combination of public information." 

Manafort previously denied that he shared information with Kilimnik during Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential elections. He told Insider that he failed to recall sharing data with Kilimnik during Mueller's investigation because his memory began to deteriorate due to the conditions of his detainment.

Manafort's interview with Insider comes after he spent nearly two years in prison on various charges, including tax fraud and witness tampering, a result of Mueller's investigation.

Trump pardoned Manafort in 2020. 

oromagi
oromagi
Russia investigators probe 2016 GOP platform fight

U.S. investigators are focusing on an enduring mystery of the 2016 election: whether Trump campaign officials made the Republican Party platform more friendly to Russia as part of some broader effort to collude with the Kremlin, according to congressional records and people familiar with the probes.

Congressional investigators have interviewed ex-Donald Trump aides and advisers including J.D. Gordon, the national security policy representative at last year’s GOP convention, about the campaign’s push to remove proposed language from the 2016 Republican platform that called for giving weapons to Ukraine. People involved with crafting the platform also were expecting interest from special counsel Robert Mueller’s team, such as witness interviews or producing documents, some of those sources said.

The Trump campaign’s position in the platform fight was seen at the time as making the official GOP stance friendlier toward Russia because the proposed language they defeated would have endorsed sending weapons to aid the Ukrainian government’s fight against pro-Russian separatists in the eastern part of the country. Many leading Republicans backed the idea, so the platform fight came as a surprise.

Now that year-old debate is getting fresh scrutiny from the ongoing investigations into how Moscow meddled in the 2016 election and whether any Trump aides were involved, including then-convention manager Paul Manafort. The president has repeatedly denied any collusion, calling the investigations a “witch hunt.”

Gordon, who has been a senior national security adviser or spokesman to four GOP presidential candidates since 2012, has largely escaped the harsh spotlight on some other Trump campaign officials. But while he has not been accused of wrongdoing, he has been questioned, in part, because of his role in the platform fight and his job overseeing two campaign volunteers, Carter Page and George Papadopoulos, who communicated with Russian officials or operatives last year.

Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying to investigators about his interactions with Russian-linked intermediaries, and he is now cooperating with Mueller’s probe. Two other senior campaign officials who were involved in the convention, Manafort and Rick Gates, were indicted last week by the special counsel on various charges stemming from their overseas lobbying work before they joined Trump’s campaign.

Manafort, who remains under active investigation in the broader collusion probes, also sent an email days before the platform debate to a longtime aide with ties to Russian intelligence, offering private briefings about the campaign to a top Vladimir Putin associate and Russian oligarch he owed millions of dollars. The month before, Manafort, Donald Trump Jr. and Trump senior adviser Jared Kushner met at Trump Tower with a Kremlin-connected Russian lawyer who had promised dirt on Hillary Clinton.

Investigators are focusing, in part, on whether those activities were part of any choreographed effort by the campaign to forge closer ties to Russia or to exchange promises — such as dropping U.S. sanctions, if elected — in return for help defeating Clinton. Lawmakers continue to ask about the 2016 platform fight as part of that probe, and Page, a campaign foreign policy adviser, faced questions on the subject when he appeared before House investigators last week.

Gordon told POLITICO in a series of exchanges that he wasn’t involved in any wrongdoing and that he wasn’t aware of any suspect activities by Manafort or other campaign officials or advisers. He said investigators were probing other people involved in pushing the platform change that the Trump campaign opposed, though he would not identify them.

“Investigators are rightly looking into whether or not crimes were committed by individuals connected to Ukraine, including possible FARA violations and other illegal activities,” Gordon wrote, referring to the Foreign Agents Registration Act. “I applaud them for conducting a thorough investigation as there are clearly two sides to the GOP Platform controversy.”

Gordon said it would be up to Mueller to reveal whether the special counsel’s office had reached out to him or interviewed him, and he declined to provide specifics of his talks with congressional investigators except to say that they covered a range of topics. He agreed to speak on the record to POLITICO only via text message exchanges, given what he said was the sensitivity of the investigations and efforts by some Trump opponents to thrust him into the middle of them.
The “stakes are too high for error. Prison, impeachment proceedings, lawsuits,” he wrote in one text message.

“Impeachment of a President at stake,” he wrote in another. “Would prefer people stop trying to use my head as a battering ram.”

“It seems that I needed to do this and I was advised to do it,” said Denman, who said she proposed the pro-Ukraine amendment because she thought it was in line with the GOP position and in favor of “people fighting for their freedom.”

“I was told why I should not discuss anything further,” she added. “I know I’m not being very helpful, but I’m locked down.”

Denman is not suspected of any wrongdoing, according to people familiar with her situation, but she likely will be asked to provide documents and testimony in the coming weeks to help investigators lock down the details of what happened behind the scenes during the week before the convention in which the platform was hammered out.

“I represent Diana, and I’m not commenting,” said Robert N. “Bob” Driscoll, her lawyer. A former deputy assistant attorney general, Driscoll lists as some of his specialties representing clients involved in congressional and Department of Justice investigations.

Details of the amendment fight remain in dispute. Denman said that after her proposal was offered, Gordon intervened to lobby members of the GOP foreign policy platform committee, with help from other Trump campaign officials. Gordon has denied that, but he acknowledged asking the subcommittee to table the amendment until the end of the deliberations so he could alert campaign officials.

The amendment was tabled, and the language for the official party platform ultimately was changed to offer “appropriate assistance” to Ukraine, which Gordon said reflected the original draft language.

One of the things investigators want to know is who Gordon was consulting with, and why, during the extended period when the campaign was fighting the proposed change.

Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the House intelligence panel, queried Page about the platform change during a seven-hour interview with the committee last week, according to a transcript released on Monday.

Schiff asked Page who he had communicated with about the platform change, referring him to an email he sent to Gordon, other campaign advisers and at least one campaign official that said, “As for the Ukraine amendment, excellent work.”

“Does it refresh your recollection at all about what other interactions you may have had with the campaign about the amendment?” Schiff asked, according to the transcript.

“No,” Page replied. “This … is my only interaction that I vaguely recall. And this expresses my personal opinion. And that’s all that was.”

Schiff also asked Page, “Did you ever communicate with Paul Manafort about the Ukraine amendment?”

“Absolutely not,” Page replied.

The Senate Intelligence Committee also has been looking at the platform issue as part of its broader probe, and has “interviewed every person involved in the drafting of the campaign platform,” Sen. Richard Burr, the committee chairman, said at a briefing last month.

Based on “feedback … from the individuals who were in the room making the decision,” Burr said, the committee had tentatively concluded that Trump campaign staff were “attempting to implement what they believed to be guidance to be strong, to be a strong ally in Ukraine but also leave the door open for better relations with Russia.”

But, he added, the matter was “not closed, open for the continuation.”

oromagi
oromagi
^^^^^
^^^^^
By JOSH MEYER
11/08/2017 05:03 AM EST
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
"sensitive information on polling and campaign strategy"
good grief
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
the campaign’s push to remove proposed language from the 2016 Republican platform that called for giving weapons to Ukraine
i see

now anyone who is "anti-war" is de facto "pro-russia"

isn't that like calling the hippies "pro-viet-cong"
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
Unfortunately I'm lazy,
But the gist is some guy gave the Russians poll numbers?

Unfortunately I'm also ignorant,
"The couple were convicted of providing top-secret information about radarsonarjet propulsion engines and valuable nuclear weapon designs"

Being a big deal, poll numbers though, I don't much care about?
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Lemming
They got Blumpf this time
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Lemming
President Donald Trump’s company planned to give a $50 million penthouse at Trump Tower Moscow to Russian President Vladimir Putin as the company negotiated the luxury real estate development during the 2016 campaign, according to four people, one of them the originator of the plan.
Two US law enforcement officials told BuzzFeed News that Michael Cohen, Trump’s personal lawyer at the time, discussed the idea with a representative of Dmitry Peskov, Putin’s press secretary.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@FLRW
Is that against the law?

I don't include the link as a aha, but as a question, that I can better understand the law in regards to what you spoke.

Course I also see this link,
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
i see
now anyone who is "anti-war" is de facto "pro-russia"
  • I would hardly call objecting to Russia's 2014 invasion of Ukraine "anti-war.  Quite the opposite.
isn't that like calling the hippies "pro-viet-cong"
  • More like if Roger Stone had taken $30 million from Saudi Arabia and the Saudis gave Stone a "peace plan" that involved Saudi Arabia invading a big chunk of Israel and kicking out the Jews and then Trump  soon after removed all statements of US support for Israel and the "peace plan" was enacted and when the FBI Investigated called it all a witch hunt and fake news and when Stone is convicted pardons him and when Saudi Arabia moves to take over Israel altogether blames the opposition and then Stone admits everything 6 years later, confident that Trump's followers won't understand what's happened.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
-->@oromagi
Unfortunately I'm lazy,
But the gist is some guy gave the Russians poll numbers?

Unfortunately I'm also ignorant,
"The couple were convicted of providing top-secret information about radarsonarjet propulsion engines and valuable nuclear weapon designs"

Being a big deal, poll numbers though, I don't much care about?
Khrushchev said that the Rosenbergs helped Russia  get the atomic bomb.  Daniel Patrick Moynihan estimates that those spies accelerated the Russian nuclear program by about 20%.  That's the nukes that Russia gave to China, that China gave to North Korea, etc.

Yes having a Presidential campaign manager openly admit to being a Russian agent is a big deal.  Certainly,  many important claims in the Steele Dossier and the Mueller Report that every Republican has denied under oath and called fake news for 6 years is now casually admitted to be true.  I guess at some point its safe to stop worrying whether the cuckold might object.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
I don't think Paul Manafort qualifies as a Russian 'Agent?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
-->@oromagi
I don't think Paul Manafort qualifies as a Russian 'Agent?
Absolutely 100%.

foreign agent is any person or entity actively carrying out the interests of a foreign country while located in another host country, generally outside the protections offered to those working in their official capacity for a diplomatic mission.
Manafort spent ten years in Ukraine running presidential campaigns for Russian puppet candidates, Yanukovich particularly (you know, the guy that poisoned his opposition in one campaign and jailed his opposition in the next?). His constant companion and translator was Konstantin Kilimnik,  who the CIA later revealed to be GRU (Russian Intel).  In Dec 2015, Manafort was $19 million in debt to  some Ukrainian mobsters. 

In February, Manafort offered to work for Trump for free! 

Trump made Manafort his campaign manager at the end of March and five days later, Manafort went back to Kilimnik with Trump's campaign outline (think Russia's massive Facebook disinformation campaign)  and collected Putin's "peace plan" for Ukraine which outlined the invasion of the Donbass, etc.  Manafort's debts were wiped out and a Russian Oligarch gave Manafort a new "loan" of $10 million- so $30 million value total.  The following day, Fancy Bear (GRU) began a major hacking campaign vs. US assets, esp. Cruz and Clinton's campaign, stealing opposition research, emails, giving Assange the emails that formed the basis for Pizzagate, QAnon later on, etc.  Once Trump won the nomination he decided to that rather than write a new Republican Party platform he would adopt Mitt Romney's plan for America except that all the parts about sanctions against Russia for invading Crimea and all the parts about supporting democracy in Ukraine were removed.  Considering Putin was losing millions each day, I'm sure he considered  $30 million a super cheap price to change the Republican position on Ukraine .

In 2017, Manafort registered as a foreign agent to avoid pending felony charges.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
The FBI is now known to frame political enemies. The rational and conscientious observer should therefore treat the FBI and all claims and actions they make as less trustworthy than the average stranger who is not known to frame political enemies.

Lied under oath?  Like Flynn "lied"?

There is nothing short of independently sourced direct evidence that could cause me to give one single shit about anything that comes out of a DOJ 'investigation'. I would sooner trust the FSB. For example, a signed confession means nothing because you don't know what the victim was threatened with to get them to sign.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
What does it mean to register as a foreign agent?

Does it mean the person is saying that they are a spy?
Does it mean that they have done work for foreign powers, but in a more official stance?
Lobbyist for a foreign government?

Not asking questions to try to wriggle Manafort out of anything,
I just don't know much.
oromagi
oromagi
-->@oromagi
What does it mean to register as a foreign agent?

A travel agent plans your vacation for you for money
A talent agent find and books your gigs for money
A foreign agent performs services for foreign governments for money.

Does it mean the person is saying that they are a spy?
In the US, all foreign agents are required to report their activities and income within 10 days.  Anybody not reporting services they do for foreign governments or the money foreign governments give them is committing a felony under US espionage law.  Anybody giving foreign governments or companies  information kept secret in the US (not just govt but corporate secrets, clandestine observation of people, etc) is spying.  Certainly, giving and receiving  information on US politics, candidates emails, etc is very much spying in the classical sense. 

When Manafort says that he gave Russian Intel information on how "vulnerable" Clinton was , that is  classic spying and treason in the death penalty sense.  Clinton was the front runner for President at the time- an American citizen giving Putin dirt on how to beat her is betraying his country for money, no doubt.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
On June 7, 2017, President Donald Trump announced that he would nominate Christopher Wray as the next director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Trump wrote on Twitter, "I will be nominating Christopher A. Wray, a man of impeccable credentials, to be the new Director of the FBI. Details to follow." Wray was officially nominated on June 26, 2017.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
MIchael Flynn was and remains a Russian spy in the most traditional sense:

Let's remember when Liz Cheney asks Flynn directly;

Cheney: Do you believe in the peaceful transition of power in the United States of America?
(i.e.the core principle of the US Constitution)
Flynn: I take the Fifth

Taking the fifth means that I refuse to answer on the grounds that any answer is likely to reveal a crime which the government many not compel under the 5A.

A US General and former NSA director is asked under oath whether the US should be a democracy and he is forced to admit that if he answers honestly he would expose his own crimes.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
@ADreamOfLiberty
I'm not fond of plea deals,
And often our justice system seems a strange, conviction vs acquittal, based upon lawyer strength,
Rather than truth and justice.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem 'Death 'Penalty, or 'Spy/'Traitor, levels to me.

For example, suppose Trump sold information to Russia because he thought it would weaken his opponent,
He wouldn't really be 'serving Russia, he'd be using Russia to his own ends.

"When a criminal defendant pleads the Fifth, jurors are not allowed to take the refusal to testify into consideration when deciding whether a defendant is guilty. In the 2001 case Ohio v. Reiner, the U.S. Supreme Court held that "a witness may have a reasonable fear of prosecution and yet be innocent of any wrongdoing."
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
For example, suppose Trump sold information to Russia because he thought it would weaken his opponent,
He wouldn't really be 'serving Russia, he'd be using Russia to his own ends.

Well but that's so fucking treasonous and illegal that now Russia has major shit on Trump and can get him to do stuff out of fear of being exposed.

For example,

• Trump demanding the identity of the US spy in Putin's inner circle
  • ignoring Russian hacking
  • lifting Russian sanctions
  • giving Russia's spy chief classified intelligence while giving him a tour of the Oval Office
  • trying to end NATO
  • supporting Brexit
  • proposing joint intelligence Ops with Russia
  • ordering the CIA to share intel with Russia
  • thanking Putin for expelling US diplomats
  • refusing to criticize Russia's invasion of Ukraine
  • appealing for Russia's return to the G7
  • expressing no interest in a Russian attack on US forces in Syria
  • suppressing any US  response to Russia placing bounties on US soldiers in Afghanistan, then calling it a hoax
  • abandoning US allies fighting vs Russia in Syria
  • Pulling out of Syria
  • Ordering US troops out of Germany
  • Halting US aid to Ukraine
  • Buying a bunch of unneeded medical supplies from Russia for COVID
  • etc.
Trump was so terrified of the shit Putin had on him that he obviously did pretty much whatever that dictator told him to do, if when it actively harmed US interests.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
I really don't see it as 'treasonous.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lemming
@oromagi
oromagi, I didn't think I'd see even more damning evidence that you haven't a clue what american traditions meant what or how to distinguish the valuable from the valueless, but I was wrong:
oromagi: Taking the fifth means that I refuse to answer on the grounds that any answer is likely to reveal a crime which the government many not compel under the 5A.
Someone who takes pleading the 5th as an admission of guilt is exactly the sort of person I imagine is running DOJ meetings these days.

oromagi: MIchael Flynn was and remains a Russian spy in the most traditional sense:

I don't trust your sources and I don't trust you. The presumption of innocence and the implications thereof including the right to remain silent is one of the most flawless principles of the American legal tradition.

Lemming: I'm not fond of plea deals,
And often our justice system seems a strange, conviction vs acquittal, based upon lawyer strength,
Rather than truth and justice.
Nor am I. I was brought up being nose-blind to the flaws in the system like most are, but I have now come to believe that "prosecutorial discretion" (even when it isn't a prosecutor exercising it) is the heart of corruption and the root a many of the problems from county to federal and everything in between.

In fact simply learning US history and making comparison without having them spoon-fed will show you it isn't the first time it identified as a problem. There was an enormous problem with certain people being excluded from the protection of the law either explicitly in the law or by the discretion of officers of the law, state, and court. There was an amendment written and ratified to fix this problem:

"nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

If I was a supreme court justice I would interpret the 14th amendment as making a doctrine of discretion illegal and therefore all practices made possible by it, such as plea bargaining, illegal.

If there is a law it must be applied wherever possible.  For instance those who write the laws must be subject to them, and that is not (justly) up to a cop or a prosecutor to decide based on their whim, political leanings, or corrupt motivations.

Discretion allows laws that are only enforced when someone is a nail that stands a little too proud. Bad laws (laws that punish victimless crimes) need to be felt by the general public so they can be repealed. Instead they are written, forgotten, and fester in a giant law volume until corruption finds need of it.

How quickly the speed limit would increase if it was 100% enforced.

A plea deal, no matter the nobility of the end goal, is simply legal blackmail. Either they did the crime or they didn't. If they didn't they're rights are being trampled on because the burden of being falsely prosecuted is so high (and unavenged even if acquitted or charges dropped). If they did the crime then a guilty person goes free, and probably learns the lesson of "have something the government wants if you are going to break the law" which actively promotes corruption.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
a witness may have a reasonable fear of prosecution and yet be innocent of any wrongdoing."

What prosecution from endorsing the US Constitution might General Flynn reasonably fear and yet be innocent?  US Generals swear an oath to uphold the US Constitution, he collects his substantial pension from US taxpayers predicated on his keeping of that oath.   If a former Director of National Security is unwilling to uphold Democracy, we can't really let him hang around dangling secrets for enemies of democracies and we can't let him flee to another country because he knows too many secrets. Maximum Security or death are really the only options possible while preserving national security.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
A person's beliefs and actions, can be separate.

Sometimes answers can be semantic,
Thomas Jefferson said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants..."
I'm not saying that the Biden Trump election was such a time,
But possible person thought of some future event, maybe would have been better to resist the Nazi's when they 'won their election, than to submit.
Again, I 'don't mean Biden Trump election with Nazi reference, but far future what ifs.

Maybe guy overthought the question,

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
Thomas Jefferson said "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants..."
  • Remember that Jefferson supported the  death sentence for his old friend Aaron Burr for colluding with England about  creating a new nation in California, called him the prime mover in the conspiracy and guilty beyond question.  Certainly, Trump has gone further than Burr did by any measure.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
Trump has only 'joked about shooting someone,
Burr went the whole way, and found he 'did in fact lose all the voters,
(Joke)

I'd have to read up on the Burr conspiracy to have an opinion on it.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
-->@oromagi
Trump has only 'joked about shooting someone,
Burr went the whole way, and found he 'did in fact lose all the voters,
(Joke)

I'd have to read up on the Burr conspiracy to have an opinion on it.
Burr only chatted with England, nothing as material as what Trump's given Russia.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
Trump hasn't looked to form an army and plan to separate part of the USA from itself though?

I'm still unfamiliar with particulars of Burr Conspiracy, though I 'have heard of it passingly before,
Looking on Wikipedia, it sounds vague.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Lemming
Trump hasn't looked to form an army and plan to separate part of the USA from itself though?

That's precisely what Jan 6th was.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@oromagi
I disagree.