How many convicted criminals did Trump pardon?

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 26
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Let’s see if we can make a list. It’s a long list.

Dinesh D’Souza - Plead guilty to making illegal campaign contributions. He returned the favor to Trump with the pro-election conspiracy movie 2000 mules.

General Michael Flynn - After Trump couldn’t get FBI Director James Comey to “let it go” and pledge “loyalty” Flynn plead guilty to lying to the FBI about his conversations with Russians. Before his sentencing hearing, Trump pardoned Flynn.

Steve Bannon - In August 2020, Bannon and three others were arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and money laundering in connection to the We Build the Wall campaign. The defendants allegedly enriched themselves, despite promising that all contributions would go to building a wall. Bannon pleaded not guilty and was pardoned by Trump before his trial date. In 2022, Bannon was convicted of contempt of Congress and is awaiting sentence.

Paul Manafort - Tax fraud, obstruction of justice.

Roger Stone - Stone was convicted on all charges (lying to Congress and witness tampering),[207][208] but on July 10, 2020, his federal prison sentence was commuted by President Trump.[209] Asked for a comment after Bannon himself was arrested on August 20, 2020, Stone replied “Karma is a bitch…

Sheriff Joe Arpio - After a judge held Arpio in contempt of court Trump pardoned him.

Scooter Libby - Obstruction of Justice, lying to the FBI, perjury.

Congressman Duncan Hunter - conspiracy to commit offenses, campaign finance laws.

Charles Kushner - His son-in-law’s father who was prosecuted by Chris Christie. Fraud and perjury.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Mostly ideal cases of pardon power use, when your political opponents have captured law enforcement institutions and are using them to blackmail confessions out of people and/or framing them to try to get you to lie about how bad the president is.

Of course he wouldn't have to do that if he had just destroyed those subverted institutions, SAAAD!
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
Trump himself is now considered a flight risk and has had his passports taken away by the FBI.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Mostly ideal cases of pardon power use, when your political opponents have captured law enforcement institutions and are using them to blackmail confessions out of people and/or framing them to try to get you to lie about how bad the president is.

Of course he wouldn't have to do that if he had just destroyed those subverted institutions, SAAAD!
An utterly corrupt statement.  Obviously, no President should ever pardon friends or associates and certainly not based on any political judgement, which simply can't help but be biased.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
IwantRooseveltagain: Trump himself is now considered a flight risk and has had his passports taken away by the FBI.
When will you people realize that when you say "DOJ treats X like criminal insurrectionist" and "X" is a republican, that's not convincing anyone. "we" react the same way a BLM advocate would react if someone suggested "Floyd obviously deserved it otherwise he wouldn't have gotten kneeled on by a cop"

You see, like the BLM advocate, we have an alternative theory as to why the agents of the state were attacking.

oromagi: An utterly corrupt statement. 
Reversing corruption is not corruption.

oromagi: Obviously, no President should ever pardon friends or associates and certainly not based on any political judgement, which simply can't help but be biased.
Obviously DAs and cops shouldn't charge and jury/judge shop based on political judgement but when Pandora's box is open...
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
So Trump pardoned political prisoners of a crony FBI?

List should be a lot longer IMHO. Democrats have jailed thousands of political prisoners since 2016.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty

There's no such thing as "reversing corruption."  You are admitting here that you endorse corruption so long as you think of it a revenge corruption.  Reversing corruption with corruption is just as corrupt as reversing murder with murder is still just more murder.

Obviously DAs and cops shouldn't charge and jury/judge shop based on political judgement but when Pandora's box is open...
But DA and cops can't ignore obvious crimes just because they're Republican which is what you claim when you say "DOJ treats X like criminal insurrectionist" and "X" is a republican, that's not convincing anyone.  You're essentially saying that is is not a crime if a Republican commits it.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
There's no such thing as "reversing corruption."  You are admitting here that you endorse corruption so long as you think of it a revenge corruption.  Reversing corruption with corruption is just as corrupt as reversing murder with murder is still just more murder.
I said reversing corruption is not corruption. Not that it is even more corruption. Just like using deadly force to prevent or punish murder is not murder.

But DA and cops can't ignore obvious crimes just because they're Republican which is what you claim when you say "DOJ treats X like criminal insurrectionist" and "X" is a republican, that's not convincing anyone.  You're essentially saying that is is not a crime if a Republican commits it.
No, I'm saying republicans didn't commit it. Just as inner city cops have burned up their benefit of the doubt when arresting black men because they "smelled something" federal bureaucracies have exhausted their benefit of the doubt when arresting members of Trump's campaign or administration.

"He once had a roommate whose cousin considered learning Russian" doesn't cut it.

It's hard to keep track of all the political charges, entrapments, and frameups they've committed but I do know of some:

Dinesh D’Souza - Victimless crime that is almost never prosecuted nor can a reasonable person be expected to know of. He may as well been hit with 5 years at supermax for speeding for all I care.

General Michael Flynn - entrapped and blackmailed, he went from answering one question "I don't recall" to "I think so" in two different interviews and they called that lying to the FBI and perjury. Then they threatened to charge his child if he didn't sign a confession.

Bannon - I don't know about the mail fraud claim, but it's awful convenient. Contempt of congress? Give me a break. Contempt of the Jan 6 committee should be a requirement for citizenship.

Paul Manafort - Tax fraud, a heroic act if true probably not since the tax code is unspeakably complex and lawyers get it wrong all the time. Obstruction of justice? Obstructing the DOJ is an act in furtherance of justice.

Roger Stone - The guy they swatted out of his house while he was in pajamas, from such obvious theater I need look no further to know the motivations were political.

"Lying to the FBI", It is simply the easiest way to attack someone with federal agents. Compel them to come answer your questions, ask the same questions in slightly different ways, claim there was a contradiction bam perjury.

Always the juries just happen to be from downtown DC or something similar.

Retry it in rural Texas or Florida and tell me whose guilty.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You see, like the BLM advocate, we have an alternative theory as to why the agents of the state were attacking.
That’s because you have TDS, and you are racist or at least ambivalent about racism. Republicans are the party of White Grievance and White Fragility.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
No, I'm saying republicans didn't commit it. 
You believe this because you are a Wack job.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Sometimes you come across as a crazy person screaming at the orderlies.

But I guess that's normal when the inmates are running things in DC atm.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
IwantRooseveltagain: That’s because you have TDS, and you are racist or at least ambivalent about racism. Republicans are the party of White Grievance and White Fragility.
Your reading comprehension is poor.
TWS1405
TWS1405
Every president moves to pardon "convicted" criminals. The number is irrelevant, the nature of the crimes being pardoned is what matters. 
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
federal bureaucracies have exhausted their benefit of the doubt when arresting members of Trump's campaign or administration.
  • The FBI is about as core a Republican organization as you will find.  My oldest friend is a lawyer at the FBI because after 15 years at FOX News they paid for most of his law degree and then introduced him to their connections at the FBI.  He says there is a real culture about not talking about politics but it doesn't take long to to figure out that just about everybody votes Republican.  If you think the FBI is going after Trump & thugs because they are Republicans then you have badly mistaken the FBI's motives.  The FBI is just pro-American, pro-rule of law, like Liz Cheney and John McCain and whole bunch of other Republicans that Trump is purging out of the Republican party to his great discredit and the disservice of all Americans.  All of the guys you're talking about pled guilty to their crimes and all of their crimes (except D'Souza) are pretty fucking anti-American.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@oromagi
all of their crimes (except D'Souza) are pretty fucking anti-American.
I agree with everything you said about the FBI. BUT, You don’t think illegal campaign contributions are anti-American? If the people don’t have faith in our electoral process the country is doomed. It’s already happening as we saw on January 6.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
You don’t think illegal campaign contributions are anti-American?

Not really, no.  I mean, D'Souza's a fool and a lech but he's not actively selling out American's safety and interest like the rest of these guys.  At least, as far I  know.

All political campaigning is unnecessarily long and expensive essentially because politicians enjoy long periods of getting standing ovations for dining free with billionaires and celebrities.  I think political campaigns should be very short, spartan, and at public expense.  The line between legal and illegal campaign spending is hopelessly fuzzy and impossible to regulate.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@oromagi
I think illegal campaign contributions should be higher up on the priority list of anti-American criminal behavior.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
The FBI is about as core a Republican organization as you will find. 
Then democrats shouldn't have any objection to its abolishment no?

The FBI is just pro-American, pro-rule of law
Then I hope they find jobs where the upper management aren't captured by the deep state.

Liz Cheney
rofl, the Jan 6 committee is the laughing stock of the free world. An obvious kangaroo court that avoids all questions of jurisprudence by saying "well we're not actually a court we don't have to follow those rules"

If that's what you mean by "pro-rule of law" you are a danger to society if ever placed into a position of authority.

All of the guys you're talking about pled guilty to their crimes and all of their crimes (except D'Souza) are pretty fucking anti-American.
They were likely blackmailed like Flynn and signed what they did on the (bad) advice of lawyers looking for plea deals. Plea deals are problematic in of themselves but when combined with a justice system where the agents of the state never face consequences for false charges/arrests they are even worse.

It is well documented that people will take plea deals simply because the right to a speedy trial will certainly be denied as it currently is for Jan 6 political prisoners. It would be even worse for these poor people because the only reason they were attacked was to get them to lie about Trump, something some of them did.

As far as I am concerned there were no crimes. It takes trust for me to believe there was evidence of crimes, and like I have explained elsewhere my trust in federal agencies has expired. You can call me a cook, you can dismiss me as I dismiss the assertions of the FBI; and I'm sure you'll get around to it, but that won't make me and the millions who think like me disappear.

If you truly believed in your narrative you would advocate for a shift to a level of transparency where the lost trust is no longer a requirement. That is the only way this ends peacefully.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
rofl, the Jan 6 committee is the laughing stock of the free world. 
The only that that is a laughing stock to the free world is Trump and his supporters - Asking how can so many Americans be that stupid?

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
As far as I am concerned there were no crimes.
Well that’s because you’re an idiot.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You can call me a cook
Ok, you’re a cook, and a kook, and an idiot.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
rofl, the Jan 6 committee is the laughing stock of the free world. 
The only that that is a laughing stock to the free world is Trump and his supporters - Asking how can so many Americans be that stupid?
Your bubble is so complete you aren't even aware... sad
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Your bubble is so complete you aren't even aware... sad
Look, it's a real credit to this country that a guy like you can even survive. In many other countries you would have starved to death, died of exposure or been put in an institution. For someone with your intellect to have made it this far is an amazing success story of this country over natural selection.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Then I hope they find jobs where the upper management aren't captured by the deep state.
But didn’t Trump himself appoint the upper management of the FBI?

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
IwantRooseveltagain: But didn’t Trump himself appoint the upper management of the FBI?
I don't personally know, nor do I care. Trump seems to appoint or hire a lot of people who stab him in the back and work against him. Either some other people make much more convincing arguments against their loyalty (blackmail) or Trump is a terrible HR person. That's the #1 reason I would vote against him in a primary.

How can you drain the swamp when you can't tell clean water from putrid?
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I don't personally know, (who appointed the FBI leadership) nor do I care.
Unbelievable! The ignorance found in these posts is staggering.

Considering the revolving door Trump had on the White House with an extraordinary rate of turnover (remember all his Generals who resigned) Trump has shown he isn’t fit to lead anything of consequence.