Neil Gaiman

Author: Polytheist-Witch

Total: 10
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
So I'm watching The Sandman on Netflix which of course is another Neil Gaiman based show. I enjoyed Lucifer and American Gods was so so. It never ceases to amaze me that someone who's an atheist and looks down on people who believe in god's would basically make his fortune on writing stories about them. It just really screams hypocrisy not to mention the fact I just completely bastardized the myths and lead people to believe that's what they actually are like Stan Lee did to Thor. There's nothing worse than trying to talk actual mythology with someone and then they throw a Marvel or DC reference into it. 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
Atheists understand the god mythology much better than theists.
Most churchgoers have not actually read the bible, they just believe and accept uncritically what their preachers tell them, whereas many atheists have a better working knowledge of the mythology.
If theists have bothered to actually read the bible, they believe in the god myth literally or , at least, uncritically.
Whereas atheists can think and reason critically about the mythology .
And finally, the god and religious mythology is full of rich pickings for authors of fantasy .
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Don't even get me started on what Xena Warrior Princess did to Greek Mythology
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@oromagi
The myths are stories all on their own and I don't have any idea why people take them and then screw them all up instead of just presenting them as they are. There's plenty of sex, blood, war and violence in them. There's also love stories and hero stories. But they just can't present them as they are they going to screw them all up.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@Poly

It's all just reprocessed data presented as entertainment.

No big deal.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
American Gods
truly remarkable
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
you might also enjoy "Raised by Wolves"
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
I can say that they're portrayal of Odin or Mr. Wednesday is probably one of the most accurate I've ever seen. I'll check it out.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@Poly.

How can one present an "accurate" portrayal of a mythical GOD?

A portrayal that satisfies your needs perhaps.

My perfect Odin is a slender transsexual formerly known as Odette, who enjoys tickling maidens breasts with a Ravens feather.
Elliott
Debates: 0
Elliott
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The myths are stories all on their own and I don't have any idea why people take them and then screw them all up instead of just presenting them as they are. There's plenty of sex, blood, war and violence in them. There's also love stories and hero stories. But they just can't present them as they are they going to screw them all up.
People who produce films and TV programs do it all the time and not just mythology but many woks of fiction. They take a best seller and because they are so smart they think they can do better and produce a version that has little resemblance to the original … hopefully it flops.

Peter Jackson and the Hobbit come to mind. As to mythology, there was the horrible Beowulf TV series.