Dr ANTHONY FAUCI's COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS to the 2022 GRADUATING CLASS of PRINCETON UNIVERSITY

Author: oromagi

Total: 81
Avery
Debates: 0
Avery
-->
@oromagi
I'm struggling to find a random definition which does not describe what the Wuhan lab was doing.
Your struggle is personal.  Nothing in your definitions is inconsistent with what I've said, you just don't understand what you are cut and pasting.
The term is 'copy and pasting', as you're unable to 'cut' from internet articles.

What was that about not understanding? xD

Recall these explanations-

[talk about gain-of-function over the last 2000 years and how my definitions a,b and d match that]
I agree that this gain-of-function is fine and have so from the start.

My issue is specifically with the gain-of-function research conducted in Wuhan that lead to the coronavirus outbreak. That specific gain-of-function research, involving attempts to make coronavirus more effective against humans, is the problem, not historical gain-of-function research into making crops grow better.

[You saying that the NIH's defintion matches my definition c]
Okay then. You, the NIH and me agree that if a research team were looking into making a coronavirus more effective against humans, then that would be considered (via the new 2011/2012 NIH definition) as gain-of-function research.

Your only contention now is that the research done in Wuhan cannot be proven to involve making a coronavirus more effective against humans (of which I obviously contest). 

[More of Paul's arguments that I am not making]
I repeat: are you arguing against Paul or me? I'm making my own arguments. If you want to talk to Paul, go do that.

Repeating your lies doesn't make them more true.   Just like the NYPost article, the letter is linked to in the article and the letter very specifically refutes Yahoo's claim that "NIH Admits to Funding Gain-of-Function Research in Wuhan"
[You referring to that official statement again]
[You referring to that old Baric interview]
Your source and arguments involving the old Baric interview and official statements involving Covid-19 are from no earlier than July 2021, whereas the NIH's backtracking and other official statements rejecting the initial narrative came around in October 2021 An appeal for an objective, open, and transparent scientific debate about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 - The Lancet 

I'll spell it out for you even more: that means Wikipedia's article is out of date. Your argument was the official story up until October 2021, and then the new evidence set in October 2021 came out to correct it. Stop referring to old, wrong information because it is wrong.

Now, this other statement (in letter form -- the one you referenced via Twitter) is from October 2021, so I will address that. In that letter, they specifically deny that the virus variants listed cannot have produced the deadly Covid-19 variant. I can accept that part of the argument, however that doesn't mean the other variants they were testing (via gain-of-function research) did not produce the deadly Covid-19 variant. 

Finally, there is clearly conflict of interest if we're accusing the NIH of doing (through the Wuhan lab) gain-of-function research, whilst they are the ones in charge of the definition. Would you trust a murderer to fairly redefine the term "murder", if she was on trial for it?
To extend your metaphor, a US Senator falsely accuses a US Attorney General of financing a murder in China because the FBI once purchased a bunch of criminal records from China.  The Attorney General's honest and correct response is that he has little information about said murder and no jurisdiction to make that determination but the forensic information he does have suggests natural causes, not murder.  Furthermore, the legal definition of murder may be different in China.  In any case, the AG can state unequivocally that the FBI did not fund any Chinese murderers.

Again, You have claimed that Fauci is partly responsible for Covid, but have failed to provide any evidence to support your outlandish conspiracy theory.
Jesus lol you're obsessed with Paul. I guess Trump was wrong about him being ugly.

Anyway, your new analogy doesn't extend my analogy or address my point, as clever as you've tried to be. So, let's try again with a hypothetical, so that you're more likely to answer:

If a company were in charge of funding questionable research, and said company were also in charge of defining what is questionable research, would it not be a good idea for said company to change the definition of questionable research, so that the research is far more acceptable?

I'm sure it is not necessary to point out that the NY Post is not a reliable source for factual information.  Even aside from its dogshit reputation
This is Ad Hominem, so we should just ignore it.
Wikipedia states:
I won't have my time wasted by entertaining Ad Hominem as logically valid.

Are you arguing against Paul or me?
WTF?  Your whole original thesis in POST#4 was "Rand Paul claims..."  If you are done promoting Paul's lies then this conversation is over.
Incorrect.

I referred to the Fauci versus Paul discussion to directly quote Fauci. I haven't quoted Paul in any of my arguments. I haven't directly referred to Paul's arguments (I don't even know what he argued that well) and any agreement with him is incidental.

My arguments are my own and once you start to realize that, maybe you can start better responding to me.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Avery
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Avery
Okay then. You, the NIH and me agree that if a research team were looking into making a coronavirus more effective against humans, then that would be considered (via the new 2011/2012 NIH definition) as gain-of-function research. 
  • False.  It still could not be NIH "gain-of-function" since that American designation only applies to research funded by the NIH and no research team in Wuhan has ever been funded by the NIH, any more than the US would permit the Chinese government to direct American research.
Your only contention now is that the research done in Wuhan cannot be proven to involve making a coronavirus more effective against humans (of which I obviously contest). 
  • False. I contend that no evidence exists suggesting that COVID-19 originated from any Fauci (or NIH) related activity of any kind.
  • There are thousands of different coronavirus strains, 7 of which have evolved to infect humans, 3 of which have demonstrated pandemic potential in humans.
    • Is it possible that Wuhan was trying to make some coronavirus more effective against humans?  Yes.
      • Is it likely?  No
      • Is there any evidence suggesting such activity?  No
    • SARS2's four closest relatives were all found in bat populations AFTER Jan 2020- RaTG13,  BANAL-52, BANAL-103 and BANAL-236.  Is it possible that Wuhan discovered one of these strains earlier than reported and started trying to make it more effective against humans?  It is not impossible but it would be the stupidest, least scientific way to either study SARS-like viruses or to develop a bioweapon.  Essentially, Wuhan scientists would have to be acting in a totally random, non-scientific way.
  • My original contention was that Dr. Fauci is a praiseworthy public servant.  You are the one who came to this forum disputing that- saying that Dr. Fauci lied to Paul about "gain-of-function" and created COVID-19 in Wuhan. (Which also implies a massive coverup by most of  world's scientific community).
    • For all of your talk, you have yet to provide any evidence to support either of your OP claims.
I repeat: are you arguing against Paul or me? I'm making my own arguments. If you want to talk to Paul, go do that.
  • Glad as I am that your are now running away from Paul's terrible lies about Fauci on May 11th, I'll remind you that the only factual claim you made in your first post POST #4 was Paul's:
and you doubled down in your second post, POST #7

• The only reason you've even heard of research by Dr. Baric or Dr. Shi is because of Paul's lies on May 11th.
    • The only reason NY Post is pumping out false headlines about the NIH is to lend credibility to Paul's false accusations, not based on any independent investigation or reporting.
  • If there are any differences between Paul's conspiracy theories about Fauci and your conspiracy theories about Fauci, you have yet to explain those differences.
whereas the NIH's backtracking and other official statements rejecting the initial narrative came around in October 2021 
  • Be extremely specific: what fact do you claim NIH "backtracked" on?  What "initial narrative" has changed?
  • The NIH and I agree that the NIH's letter in Oct 2012 is 100% consistent with all prior NIH statements and all of Dr. Fauci's testimony regarding EcoHealth and Wuhan.  You can't say "backtrack" without first explaining what you are talking about.  In prior posts, you pointed to false headlines but I have demonstrated in detail how those headlines were malicious lies (and you have not refuted).
  • This Lancet article and I are in complete agreement  that you are quite wrong.
    • "Although considerable evidence supports the natural origins of other outbreaks ....overwhelming evidence for either a zoonotic or research-related origin is lacking: the jury is still out. On the basis of the current scientific literature, complemented by our own analyses of coronavirus genomes and proteins,  we hold that there is currently no compelling evidence to choose between a natural origin  and a research-related origin."
    • IF you believe your own reasonable, expert source when it tells you that nobody can yet say what is responsible for COVID, then you must accept that your original thesis statement, "Anthony is partly responsible for Covid" is a nasty lie with no factual basis.
they specifically deny that the virus variants listed cannot have produced the deadly Covid-19 variant. I can accept that part of the argument, however that doesn't mean the other variants they were testing (via gain-of-function research) did not produce the deadly Covid-19 variant. 
  • Notice how you are now playing the same shell game as Paul. 
    • Your first "they" is a pronoun indicating the NIH
    • Your second "they" is a pronoun indicating the scientists in Wuhan
    • You changed the subject of your sentence and concealed that change by using the same pronoun for both- not good.
If a company were in charge of funding questionable research, and said company were also in charge of defining what is questionable research, would it not be a good idea for said company to change the definition of questionable research, so that the research is far more acceptable?
  • The advantage that a company in such a position has over the NIH is that the company only has to please the shareholders while the NIH has to satisfy the ethical concerns of thousands of colleagues, stakeholders, Congress, inspector-generals, etc., etc, etc.  That is why the NIH definition process had to be done completely in the open and took three years to go into effect.
I won't have my time wasted by entertaining Ad Hominem as logically valid.
  • Whatever, man.  No scientist is going to accept the NY Post as evidence for something and neither should you.

I haven't directly referred to Paul's arguments
  • False.  You twice directed us to Paul's dishonest trickster interrogation of Fauci on May 11th as the only source for your claim.
  • I have already given you the entire text of that exchange and explained line by line how Fauci was honest and Paul dishonest.  If there is any point in that exchange where you still think Fauci is lying about something, you should identify the exact statement and how it varies from the facts as specifically as you are able.

Avery
Avery
-->
@Greyparrot
I really enjoy these short, succinct videos that expose the hypocrisy.

Great find.

I wonder if Oromagi will respond to this.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
>@Greyparrot

Great find.

Officially, Greyparrot has requested a safe space immunity from me for the last two years.  Since I refuse to stoop to responding in kind, Greyparrot gets to make comments on my shit all day every day but officially I'm not supposed to ever reply.  I try hard to never read his posts or look at his many, many youtube clips since it just frustrates me that I'm not allowed to debate him.
Avery
Avery
-->
@oromagi

Great find.

Officially, Greyparrot has requested a safe space immunity from me for the last two years.  Since I refuse to stoop to responding in kind, Greyparrot gets to make comments on my shit all day every day but officially I'm not supposed to ever reply.  I try hard to never read his posts or look at his many, many youtube clips since it just frustrates me that I'm not allowed to debate him.
I find the video he linked rather convincing at showing some of Fauci's hypocrisy.

You could address the video in a way that isn't a direct reply to Greyparrot.

We're all interested to see your response.
oromagi
oromagi
I find the video he linked rather convincing at showing some of Fauci's hypocrisy.
  • Well that's too bad since there's a bunch of pretty obvious clues that this video is manipulating you
    • Notice that the video doesn't give you any context or timestamp for Fauci's comments, in fact the editor has zoomed in on Fauci in order to keep identifying information off the screen.
    • Notice the way the video cuts to popular movie clips to demonstrate to you how you are supposed to react, how this video wants you to feel about the information you are receiving.
    • Notice the way the editor manipulates the original vid with frame zooms to give you that "eye-popping" effect
    • Notice the editing as Fauci's comments are repeated, the video changes to black and white and the audio is slowed down to make Fauci's voice sound demonic- a classic technique in political smear advertising.
      • Greyparrot's video is not providing you data for analysis, he is telling you what emotion you are supposed to be feeling.
  • So, let's look at the facts.
    • The clip from which Faci is quoted as saying "the schools should be closed" is from  a PBS News Hour interview with Judy Woodruff  done on Mar 20th, 2020- so that's right at the beginning when experts were still hoping to contain a general pandemic.  Here is the exact quote in context:
      • Judy Woodruff:
        Speaking of spring break, there has been conflicting advice to Americans this week in different states about whether schools should be closed or open, day care centers.
        What is your best advice on that right now?
      • Anthony Fauci:
        You know, it really varies from location to location.  And you want to listen to the local — state and local health authorities. But you also would hope that they are looking at the guidelines that are coming from the federal level, because they are only guidelines. They say you should. They don't say you must.
        But they should at least be looked at. So, clearly, in certain circumstanc, particularly in areas where there's community spread, the schools should be closed.
    • By this date, 46 States had already shut down their public schools so when Fauci says he had nothing to with those closures he is 100% accurate. The admnistration had only declared a public emergency a week before and made no recommendations about school closure.   Fauci's first statement on school closures came on Mar 12th (when Trump was still promising that COVID would go away with warmer weather and there would be no pandemic) when he said:
      • YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT BY A STATE-BY-STATE BASIS. THE ONE THING I DO ADVISE AND I SAID THIS IN MULTIPLE HEARINGS AND MULTIPLE BRIEFINGS, THAT RIGHT NOW, WE HAVE TO START IMPLEMENTING BOTH CONTAINMENT AND MITIGATION. AND WHAT WAS DONE WHEN YOU DO CLOSING THE SCHOOLS IS MITIGATION. WE HAVE TO TRY AS BEST AS WE CAN TO DISTANCE OURSELVES FROM EACH OTHER,
      • Trump finally weighed in on the 23rd, (when he promised it would all be over by Easter) re-iterating exactly what Fauci said:
        • THE GOVERNORS OF THE VARIOUS STATES WILL HAVE LOT OF LEEWAY. IF WE OPEN UP, WHEN WE OPEN UP, THE GOVERNORS IN CERTAIN STATES, FOR INSTANCE, YOU GO TO SOME OF THE STATES JUST MENTIONED. THOSE SCHOOLS WILL BE OPEN. MANY CASES THEY'RE OPEN NOW. [apparently Trump was not aware that more than 95% of schools in the nation were closed at this point] BUT THE SCHOOLS WILL BE OPEN. IN OTHER CASES, GOVERNOR CUOMO, GAVIN NEWSOM OF CALIFORNIA, CERTAIN GOVERNORS WILL HAVE A DECISION TO MAKE. THEY'LL KEEP THEM CLOSED. THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE LEEWAY. WE'RE GIVING THE GOVERNORS LEEWAY.
    • But Mar 20th was also the date that Fauci became MAGA's political enemy.  3 days before Trump was Fauci's biggest fan:
      • "He's become a major television star for all the right reasons."
      • But on Mar 20th, Fauci publicly disagreed with Trump on a statement of fact:
        • At a long-winded White House briefing on Friday, President Trump enthusiastically and repeatedly promoted the promise of two long-used malaria drugs that are still unproven against the coronavirus, but being tested in clinical trials.
          “I’m a smart guy,” he said, while acknowledging he couldn’t predict the drugs would work. “I feel good about it. And we’re going to see. You’re going to see soon enough.”
          But the nation’s leading infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, delicately — yet forcefully — pushed back from the same stage, explaining that there was only anecdotal evidence that the drugs, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, may be effective.
          •  On 15 June 2020, the FDA revoked its emergency use authorization, stating that it was "no longer reasonable to believe" that the drug was effective against COVID-19 or that its benefits outweighed "known and potential risks"
            • That is, Fauci = true Trump = lie
      • After that, Fauci was mostly disinvited from the White House pressers.  By Apr 12th, Trump was tweeting that Fauci should be fired and restricting his television appearances.
        • So, you can't really credit Fauci with any Federal decision-making between Mar 20 and the Biden Adminstraton.
  • Which didn't keep Paul from trying.  During a May 12th hearing, Paul condemned Fauci for suggesting that there was no evidence yet available about how much immunity infected people had acquired and insisted that immunity was good for at least 2 or 3 years (totally false).
    • Senator Rand Paul: (01:33:38) We’re opening up a lot of economies around the U.S. and I hope that people who are predicting doom and gloom and saying, “Oh, we can’t do this. There’s going to be the surge”, will admit that they were wrong... (01:35:15)I think we ought to have a little bit of humility in our belief that we know what’s best for the economy. And as much as I respect you, Dr. Fauci, I don’t think you’re the end all. I don’t think you’re the one person that gets to make a decision.  We can listen to your advice, but there are people on the other side saying there’s not going to be a surge and that we can safely open the economy and the facts will bear this out.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (02:02:24) (responding later)  That obviously very difficult of the unintended consequences of trying to do something that broadly is important for the public health, and the risk of having a return or resurgence of an outbreak and the unintended deleterious consequences of having children out of school. We fully appreciate that. I don’t have an easy answer to that. I just don’t. You just have to see, on a step by step basis as we get into the period of time with the fall about reopening the schools, exactly where we’ll be at the dynamics of the outbreak.  (02:03:01) I might point out something that I think has been alluded to throughout some of the questions that we have a very large country and the dynamics of the outbreak on different, in different regions of the country. So I would imagine that situations regarding school will be very different in one region versus another, so it’s not going to be universally, or homogeneous. But I don’t have a good explanation, or solution to the problem of what happens when you close schools, and it triggers a cascade of events that could have some harmful circumstances.
[Let's note that you call Fauci hypocritical but this is the exact same language he used two years later.]

• Senator Lamar Alexander: (03:24:07)....What I thought I heard was that Dr. Fauci said that vaccines are coming as fast as they ever have, but it’ll be later in the year at the earliest before we see that, but there’s some treatments that are modest, but are promising. There could be more, but that that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go back to school. That would be more of a testing strategy. Am I right, Dr. Fauci? You didn’t say you shouldn’t go back to school because we won’t have a vaccine by the fall?
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (03:25:05)No, absolutely not Mr. Chairman. What I was referring to is that going back to school would be more in the realm of knowing the landscape of infection with regard to testing. And as Admiral Giroir said, it would depend on the dynamics of the outbreak in the region where the school is. But I did not mean to imply at all, any relationship between the availability of a vaccine and treatment and our ability to go back to school. You’re quite correct.
[Of course, Paul was quite wrong and dishonest when he promised America that would be no surge.  Fauci was entirely honest when he said we would have to wait and see.]

oromagi
oromagi

• Ultimately, Fauci's opinion on school closures remains roughly the same through the pandemic- schools closures are a real harm that should be avoided but weighed against the harms of local outbreaks and in all cases the decision has to be made locally. 
  • June 4th, 2020  In his interview, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said: “Children can get infected, so, yes, so you’ve got to be careful. You got to be careful for them, and you got to be careful that they may not spread it. Now, to make an extrapolation that you shouldn’t open schools, I think, is a bit of a reach.”  He also said opening schools “depends on the level of viral activity” in a particular area and it is time to be “creative” in reconfiguring classrooms to ensure students are not seated too close together.  “In some situations, there will be no problem for children to go back to school,” he said. “In others, you may need to do some modifications. You know, modifications could be breaking up the class so you don’t have a crowded classroom, maybe half in the morning, half in the afternoon, having children doing alternate schedules. There’s a whole bunch of things that one can do.”
  •  August 3, 2020  K-12 schools and colleges can reopen, but safety should come first, Fauci says
  • Nov 29th (the beginning of peak COVID) "We get asked it all the time. You know, we say it -- not being facetiously, as a sound bite or anything -- but, you know, close the bars and keep the schools open is what we really say," he said. "Obviously, you don't have one size fits all. But as I said in the past … the default position should be to try as best as possible within reason to keep the children in school or to get them back to school."
  • Dec 31st, 2020 (Middle of peak COVID)  Schools can safely reopen, even when there’s substantial community transmission  Fauci said the coronavirus acts very differently from the flu when it comes to children.  With the coronavirus, children seem to have lower levels of infection than the broader community. “That was almost counterintuitive, but it’s turning out to be that way,” Fauci said.  “What we should do is to do everything to support the maintenance of the children in school. ... If you really want to get society back to some form of normality, one of the first things we have to do is to get the children back in school.”
  • By the way, Trump wasn't saying anything about getting kids back in school at this point, really hadn't said much about the pandemic for months.  The entire  political apparatus was either coasting or planning to overthrow the government at this point.  Fuck the kids.
  • Jan 20, 2021, Fauci finally has influence again as Biden's Chief Medical advisor just as we hit record COVID death, hospitals crashing, medical supply shortages, etc.
  • Feb 12, 2021   “You should try to get as many teachers as you possibly can vaccinated as quickly as you possibly can,” Fauci said. “But to make it a sine qua non that you don’t open a school until every teacher is vaccinated, I think is not workable, and probably most of the teachers would agree with that ... You don’t want to essentially have nobody in school until all the teachers get vaccinated.”
  • May 13th, 2021  Anthony Fauci, President Biden’s chief medical adviser, said Thursday that schools in the fall should be open “full blast” five days a week after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 resume life without masks or other restrictions.
  • Sept 9th 2021    Surging Covid-19 cases – and the increasing proportion reported in children – are causing many health experts to worry about the outlook as the school year gets underway across the entire country.  But Dr. Anthony Fauci said there shouldn’t be a big uptick “if we do it right.”  “We’ve gotta get the school system masked in addition to surrounding the children with vaccinated people,” said the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “That’s the solution.”

In summary, the video clip is just MAGA propaganda.  If you do the hard work of researching the truth rather than lazily believing the latest doublethink rewrite of events Tucker tell you to believe this week, it's clear that Dr. Fauci is being correct and honest in this interview:

KARL: Obviously, these are local decisions.  But was it a mistake in so many state, in so many localities, to see schools closed as long as they were?

FAUCI: I think in some – I don't want to use the word mistake, Jon, because if I do it get taken out of the context that you’re asking me the question on.

KARL: Well, did it – was it – did we pay too high a price?

FAUCI: I would – yes, I would say that what we should realize and have realized, that there will be deleterious collateral consequences when you do something like that. This idea that this virus doesn't afflict children is not so. It does. We've lost close to 1,500 kids so far.
(true and consistent with Fauci's warning on March 12, 2020)

KARL: But – but much less than the older population, obviously.

FAUCI: Yes. Oh, of course.

KARL: Yes. Yes.

FAUCI: But you shouldn't discount that it does afflict children. So, it isn't without consequences. If you go back, and I ask anybody to go back over the number of times that I’ve said we've got to do everything we can to keep the schools open, no one plays that clip. They always come back and say, Fauci was responsible for closing schools. I had nothing to do.
(true and true)

KARL: Yes. I mean you’re – you’re – you’re –

FAUCI: I mean let's get down to the facts.

KARL: You’re not the head of a school board.

FAUCI: Exactly.

KARL: But – but – but a lot of schools were – were closed. A lot of -- there was a lot of remote learning.

FAUCI: Right.

KARL: It went on for -- in some – in some jurisdictions for the better part of two years.

FAUCI: Right. Exactly.

KARL: And we've seen the impact. We’ve seen what’s happened in terms of lower reading scores, lower math scores.

FAUCI: Absolutely.

KARL: And who knows the psychological impact.

FAUCI: Right.

KARL: I mean it was a steep cost.

FAUCI: It was. The most important thing is to protect the children.

KARL: So was there a lesson here, future pandemics, that one thing is -- is more of a focus on that, is how can we protect the kids and get them back to school...

FAUCI: Exactly...

KARL: more quickly?

FAUCI: ... do both.  And the way you do that, you get the people who interact with the children to be vaccinated and masked. You provide ventilations in the schools. You try to keep them in the schools safely. The most important thing is to protect the children.

• I am doubtful

oromagi
oromagi
Honestly, Oro is the biggest apologizer for corporate elites, you have to wonder what awards they gave him as well.....
Best Biscuits and Gravy in Denver 1992

Avery
Avery
-->
@oromagi
Half your response is rubbish that can be lumped into two categories, so I'll address that first:

(1) I'm not Rand Paul and I'm not here to defend everything he said, so you should stop making those assumptions. I'm sure it would be far easier to attack my arguments if they were the same as Rand Paul's, but you're actually going to have to read what I write, rather than respond to stuff you already know. The video I originally linked was show the context in which Fauci said something, not to argue Rand Paul's argument Dr ANTHONY FAUCI's COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS to the 2022 GRADUATING CLASS of PRINCETON UNIVERSITY (debateart.com) . 

(2) Ad Hominem is a waste of everyone's time. I don't care what you think of the Nypost, Rand Paul or whoever. I care about the validity of arguments.

The other half is worth responding to, so I'll do that now:

• False.  It still could not be NIH "gain-of-function" since that American designation only applies to research funded by the NIH and no research team in Wuhan has ever been funded by the NIH, any more than the US would permit the Chinese government to direct American research.
Okay, I understand your argument better now.

So, **if** coronavirus research were funded by the NIH, and that research involved making a coronavirus more effective against humans, that would qualify for 'gain-of-function' research via the new 2011/2012 definition.

A couple things then:

(a) I still contend that the NIH funded the Wuhan Virology lab through Ecohealth Alliance NIH-Document-Production-Cover-Letter-2021.10.20_McMorris-Rodgers.pdf (house.gov)  

(b) The definition is a bit of a bait-and-switch because it's possible for Fauci to say that gain-of-function research is not being conducted (in accordance with the new 2011/2012 definition), whilst gain-of-function research is being conducted via the old definition (that everyone besides the NIH is using). So, the Wuhan lab can be engineering the coronavirus to better attack humans, yet it's not 'gain-of-function' in the new, 2011/2012 definition.

Again, this is the issue with the NIH controlling the language as to what they are doing: the murderers are defining murder.

• There are thousands of different coronavirus strains, 7 of which have evolved to infect humans, 3 of which have demonstrated pandemic potential in humans.
    • Is it possible that Wuhan was trying to make some coronavirus more effective against humans?  Yes.
      • Is it likely?  No
But we're not talking about "thousands of different coronavirus strains". We're talking about the initial strand and its origin, because that will tell us who/what made it:

(1) The first reported cases of coronavirus were in the Wuhan area
(2) None of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket initially tested had traces of coronavirus (around 2000 samples), and zero animals from 209 other wetmarkets around China (around 80,000 samples) has traces of coronavirus A Bayesian analysis concludes beyond a reasonable doubt that SARS-CoV-2 is not a natural zoonosis but instead is laboratory derived | Zenodo 
(3) Bayesian analysis by Steven C. Quay shows that a wetmarket origin has a chance of 0.2%, whilst a lab leak has a chance of 99.8% (same source, but here's a video that quickly goes through his findings: SARS-CoV-2 Bayesian Analysis by Steven Carl Quay MD Phd – The Published Reporter® ) 
(4) The part of the coronavirus that interacts with humans was 99.5% optimized for human-to-human transmission (same source)

So, let's revise your stance based on these facts:
  • Is it likely?  Yes
whereas the NIH's backtracking and other official statements rejecting the initial narrative came around in October 2021 
  • Be extremely specific: what fact do you claim NIH "backtracked" on?  What "initial narrative" has changed?
  • The NIH and I agree that the NIH's letter in Oct 2012 is 100% consistent with all prior NIH statements and all of Dr. Fauci's testimony regarding EcoHealth and Wuhan.  You can't say "backtrack" without first explaining what you are talking about.  In prior posts, you pointed to false headlines but I have demonstrated in detail how those headlines were malicious lies (and you have not refuted).
Here's me being extremely specific: the original story about the coronavirus originating in bats is wrong. The original story about the coronavirus originating in a wetmarket is wrong. The original story that the NIH did not fund the Wuhan lab is wrong.

they specifically deny that the virus variants listed cannot have produced the deadly Covid-19 variant. I can accept that part of the argument, however that doesn't mean the other variants they were testing (via gain-of-function research) did not produce the deadly Covid-19 variant. 
    • You changed the subject of your sentence and concealed that change by using the same pronoun for both- not good.
This is nonsense lol.

I have repeatedly said that the NIH funded the Wuhan lab, thus THEY worked together.

Anyway, you dodged my point: the other variants they were testing (using the NIH grant money) could have been coronavirus -- they only denied testing some of the variants. 
Avery
Avery
-->
@Greyparrot
@oromagi
  • Well that's too bad since there's a bunch of pretty obvious clues that this video is manipulating you
    • Notice that the video doesn't give you any context or timestamp for Fauci's comments, in fact the editor has zoomed in on Fauci in order to keep identifying information off the screen.
    • Notice the way the video cuts to popular movie clips to demonstrate to you how you are supposed to react, how this video wants you to feel about the information you are receiving.
    • Notice the way the editor manipulates the original vid with frame zooms to give you that "eye-popping" effect
    • Notice the editing as Fauci's comments are repeated, the video changes to black and white and the audio is slowed down to make Fauci's voice sound demonic- a classic technique in political smear advertising.
      • Greyparrot's video is not providing you data for analysis, he is telling you what emotion you are supposed to be feeling
Sure, but it doesn't matter whether I'm being manipulated or not. What matters is whether the video is correct or not.

• So, let's look at the facts.
    • The clip from which Fauci is quoted as saying "the schools should be closed" is from  a PBS News Hour interview with Judy Woodruff  done on Mar 20th, 2020- so that's right at the beginning when experts were still hoping to contain a general pandemic.  Here is the exact quote in context:
      • Judy Woodruff:
        Speaking of spring break, there has been conflicting advice to Americans this week in different states about whether schools should be closed or open, day care centers.
        What is your best advice on that right now?
      • Anthony Fauci:
        You know, it really varies from location to location.  And you want to listen to the local — state and local health authorities. But you also would hope that they are looking at the guidelines that are coming from the federal level, because they are only guidelines. They say you should. They don't say you must.
        But they should at least be looked at. So, clearly, in certain circumstanc, particularly in areas where there's community spread, the schools should be closed.
    • By this date, 46 States had already shut down their public schools so when Fauci says he had nothing to with those closures he is 100% accurate. The admnistration had only declared a public emergency a week before and made no recommendations about school closure.   Fauci's first statement on school closures came on Mar 12th (when Trump was still promising that COVID would go away with warmer weather and there would be no pandemic) when he said:
      • YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT BY A STATE-BY-STATE BASIS. THE ONE THING I DO ADVISE AND I SAID THIS IN MULTIPLE HEARINGS AND MULTIPLE BRIEFINGS, THAT RIGHT NOW, WE HAVE TO START IMPLEMENTING BOTH CONTAINMENT AND MITIGATION. AND WHAT WAS DONE WHEN YOU DO CLOSING THE SCHOOLS IS MITIGATION. WE HAVE TO TRY AS BEST AS WE CAN TO DISTANCE OURSELVES FROM EACH OTHER,
I think your argument here certainly mitigates a lot of Fauci's responsibility. If he's making these comments after the schools have been shut down, then he didn't have much to do with the decision.

Still, there are more states than 46 in America, and Fauci certainly has influence when he speaks on t.v, so he isn't absolved totally of the charge. But it's minimal in my mind, based on what you're saying.

It would also be interesting to see any evidence that Fauci talked about shutting schools before they were closed, if it exists.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Greyparrot says about this, so I'll link him in this, too.

[Stuff about Trump and Rand]
Not relevant to the topic at hand: whether Fauci contradicted himself or not.

• Ultimately, Fauci's opinion on school closures remains roughly the same through the pandemic- schools closures are a real harm that should be avoided but weighed against the harms of local outbreaks and in all cases the decision has to be made locally. 
  • June 4th, 2020  In his interview, Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said: “Children can get infected, so, yes, so you’ve got to be careful. You got to be careful for them, and you got to be careful that they may not spread it. Now, to make an extrapolation that you shouldn’t open schools, I think, is a bit of a reach.”  He also said opening schools “depends on the level of viral activity” in a particular area and it is time to be “creative” in reconfiguring classrooms to ensure students are not seated too close together.  “In some situations, there will be no problem for children to go back to school,” he said. “In others, you may need to do some modifications. You know, modifications could be breaking up the class so you don’t have a crowded classroom, maybe half in the morning, half in the afternoon, having children doing alternate schedules. There’s a whole bunch of things that one can do.”
  •  August 3, 2020  K-12 schools and colleges can reopen, but safety should come first, Fauci says
  • Nov 29th (the beginning of peak COVID) "We get asked it all the time. You know, we say it -- not being facetiously, as a sound bite or anything -- but, you know, close the bars and keep the schools open is what we really say," he said. "Obviously, you don't have one size fits all. But as I said in the past … the default position should be to try as best as possible within reason to keep the children in school or to get them back to school."
  • Dec 31st, 2020 (Middle of peak COVID)  Schools can safely reopen, even when there’s substantial community transmission  Fauci said the coronavirus acts very differently from the flu when it comes to children.  With the coronavirus, children seem to have lower levels of infection than the broader community. “That was almost counterintuitive, but it’s turning out to be that way,” Fauci said.  “What we should do is to do everything to support the maintenance of the children in school. ... If you really want to get society back to some form of normality, one of the first things we have to do is to get the children back in school.”
  • By the way, Trump wasn't saying anything about getting kids back in school at this point, really hadn't said much about the pandemic for months.  The entire  political apparatus was either coasting or planning to overthrow the government at this point.  Fuck the kids.
  • Jan 20, 2021, Fauci finally has influence again as Biden's Chief Medical advisor just as we hit record COVID death, hospitals crashing, medical supply shortages, etc.
  • Feb 12, 2021   “You should try to get as many teachers as you possibly can vaccinated as quickly as you possibly can,” Fauci said. “But to make it a sine qua non that you don’t open a school until every teacher is vaccinated, I think is not workable, and probably most of the teachers would agree with that ... You don’t want to essentially have nobody in school until all the teachers get vaccinated.”
  • May 13th, 2021  Anthony Fauci, President Biden’s chief medical adviser, said Thursday that schools in the fall should be open “full blast” five days a week after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 resume life without masks or other restrictions.
  • Sept 9th 2021    Surging Covid-19 cases – and the increasing proportion reported in children – are causing many health experts to worry about the outlook as the school year gets underway across the entire country.  But Dr. Anthony Fauci said there shouldn’t be a big uptick “if we do it right.”  “We’ve gotta get the school system masked in addition to surrounding the children with vaccinated people,” said the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. “That’s the solution.”
This was all after most schools had closed, so it's a bit beside the point.

Based on what you're saying, I think Fauci had very little to do with the schools closing.

• I am doubtful
Still doubtful?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Avery
I'll have to do some research to see specifically what influences Fauci had on school closings and lockdowns and when that happened along the timeline.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Avery
Here is the letter that prefaced Fauci's recommendations.

It looks like around March Fauci was advising for the closing of schools.

Around May 2020 there are a ton of articles describing fights with Trump on whether school restrictions should be lifted.

Correct me if my timeline is wrong.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
-->@oromagi
Half your response is rubbish that can be lumped into two categories, so I'll address that first:

(1) I'm not Rand Paul and I'm not here to defend everything he said, so you should stop making those assumptions. I'm sure it would be far easier to attack my arguments if they were the same as Rand Paul's, but you're actually going to have to read what I write, rather than respond to stuff you already know. The video I originally linked was show the context in which Fauci said something, not to argue Rand Paul's argument Dr ANTHONY FAUCI's COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS to the 2022 GRADUATING CLASS of PRINCETON UNIVERSITY (debateart.com) . 

(2) Ad Hominem is a waste of everyone's time. I don't care what you think of the Nypost, Rand Paul or whoever. I care about the validity of arguments.
  • Let's recall your original thesis
    • "You can list all the awards you want, but that doesn't excuse the disastrous consequences of this man's actions.  Anthony is partly responsible for Covid. He helped secure funding for the gain of function research conducted in Wuhan. He is also on record lying about this ("does not fund gain-of-function research and if it is" -- massive contradiction): Exchange between Sen. Rand Paul and Dr. Anthony Fauci - YouTube  Keep all this in mind as Anthony talks about the "profound ways" Covid impacted these students."
    • That is- you called Fauci disasterous, responsible for COVID, and a liar and the only thing even close to evidence you present is Rand Paul's testimony.
    • Please reconcile these two statements.  If ad homs and Paul make my arguments "rubbish"  you must explain why your ad hom and Paul are not rubbish.  What consistent standard is being applied here?

The other half is worth responding to, so I'll do that now:

So, **if** coronavirus research were funded by the NIH, and that research involved making a coronavirus more effective against humans, that would qualify for 'gain-of-function' research via the new 2011/2012 definition.

A couple things then:

(a) I still contend that the NIH funded the Wuhan Virology lab through Ecohealth Alliance NIH-Document-Production-Cover-Letter-2021.10.20_McMorris-Rodgers.pdf (house.gov)  

(b) The definition is a bit of a bait-and-switch because it's possible for Fauci to say that gain-of-function research is not being conducted (in accordance with the new 2011/2012 definition), whilst gain-of-function research is being conducted via the old definition (that everyone besides the NIH is using). So, the Wuhan lab can be engineering the coronavirus to better attack humans, yet it's not 'gain-of-function' in the new, 2011/2012 definition.

Again, this is the issue with the NIH controlling the language as to what they are doing: the murderers are defining murder.

• Is it likely?  No
But we're not talking about "thousands of different coronavirus strains". We're talking about the initial strand and its origin, because that will tell us who/what made it:

(2) None of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket initially tested had traces of coronavirus (around 2000 samples), and zero animals from 209 other wetmarkets around China (around 80,000 samples) has traces of coronavirus A Bayesian analysis concludes beyond a reasonable doubt that SARS-CoV-2 is not a natural zoonosis but instead is laboratory derived | Zenodo 
(3) Bayesian analysis by Steven C. Quay shows that a wetmarket origin has a chance of 0.2%, whilst a lab leak has a chance of 99.8% (same source, but here's a video that quickly goes through his findings: SARS-CoV-2 Bayesian Analysis by Steven Carl Quay MD Phd – The Published Reporter® ) 
(4) The part of the coronavirus that interacts with humans was 99.5% optimized for human-to-human transmission (same source)

So, let's revise your stance based on these facts:
  • Is it likely?  Yes
Here's me being extremely specific: the original story about the coronavirus originating in bats is wrong. The original story about the coronavirus originating in a wetmarket is wrong. The original story that the NIH did not fund the Wuhan lab is wrong.

This is nonsense lol.

I have repeatedly said that the NIH funded the Wuhan lab, thus THEY worked together.

Anyway, you dodged my point: the other variants they were testing (using the NIH grant money) could have been coronavirus -- they only denied testing some of the variants. 

oromagi
oromagi
Sorry, I should have cleaned that up better.
-->@Avery
-->@oromagi

• "You can list all the awards you want, but that doesn't excuse the disastrous consequences of this man's actions.  Anthony is partly responsible for Covid. He helped secure funding for the gain of function research conducted in Wuhan. He is also on record lying about this ("does not fund gain-of-function research and if it is" -- massive contradiction): Exchange between Sen. Rand Paul and Dr. Anthony Fauci - YouTube  Keep all this in mind as Anthony talks about the "profound ways" Covid impacted these students."
    • That is- you called Fauci disasterous, responsible for COVID, and a liar and the only thing even close to evidence you present is Rand Paul's testimony.
    • Please reconcile these two statements.  If ad homs and Paul make my arguments "rubbish"  you must explain why your ad hom and Paul are not rubbish.  What consistent standard is being applied here?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery

• False.  For coronavirus research to be "gain-of-function" according to NIH standards, it must have a demonstrated potential for human pandemic.  That is "SARS, MERS, and avian flu strains in humans" as Dr. Baric succinctly explained in POST #9
  • Which letter I went through in POST #27 in some detail and bolded and underlined  for you the parts where the NIH very specifically explains how this is not "gain-of-function" and is not SARS2 and could not be SARS2
    • It is not good faith argument to just keep repeating your contention while ignoring the fact I have blown your contention to pieces.
    • Your argument is "Fauci funded COVID-19"  and "Fauci lied about it"  This letter very specifically proves that both of your arguments are 100% false.  You have to address my arguments.  You can't repeat the fake news a third time and link to the same letter that proves your news as fake three times.
    • What is the physical link between the NIH funded research on mice in North Carolina and Wuhan? 
    • What proof do you have that WIV1 can become SARS- the geneolocial  equivalent of claiming that a chimpanzee gave birth to a live human?
(b) The definition is a bit of a bait-and-switch because it's possible for Fauci to say that gain-of-function research is not being conducted (in accordance with the new 2011/2012 definition), whilst gain-of-function research is being conducted via the old definition (that everyone besides the NIH is using).
  • False.  Fauci never ever baits-and-switches.  He is NIH.  He was a part of coming up with the definiton of "gain-of-function."  When Fauci says "gain-of-function" he only means the NIH version.  That's why Fauci says "...and even if it was" in his May 11th testimony- he never considers such research gain-of-function although others might, right?
  • False and again you are just repeating your argument without bothering to address my counterargument that already disproved this argument.  The NIH had to go through peer review, Congressional approval, inspector general oversight, hundreds of commitees and meeting.  This is reasonably  like the Dept of Justice updating their definition of murder it is nothing at all like a murderer updating his definiton of murder.  Please address my arguments rather than just repeating shit over and over.
But we're not talking about "thousands of different coronavirus strains".
  • Well then you need to stop saying coronavirus and start saying SARS2 because when you say "Wuhan working on coronaviruses" that includes thousands of possiblities that have nothing to do with humans.

We're talking about the initial strand and its origin, because that will tell us who/what made it:
  • true
(2) None of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket initially tested had traces of coronavirus (around 2000 samples), and zero animals from 209 other wetmarkets around China (around 80,000 samples) has traces of coronavirus 
  • False.  
    • The initial research revealed a close evolutionary relationship between SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-related bat viruses (Wu et al. 2020). Especially, the identification of the virus RaTG13 in Rhinolophus affinis bats sampled from Yunnan province of China, which is 96.1 per cent identical to SARS-CoV-2 at the whole-genome sequence level, indicated a probable bat origin of SARS-CoV-2 (Zhou et al. 2020b). Subsequently, other close relatives of SARS-CoV-2 were identified in bats sampled from Yunnan province of China (Zhou et al. 2020a), Japan (Murakami et al. 2020), and Thailand (Wacharapluesadee et al. 2021). Importantly, a virus named BANAL-52 discovered in Rhinolophus malayanus bats from Laos is closer to SARS-CoV-2 than any known viruses and has a potential for infecting humans (Temmam et al. 2022). All these data indicate that bats are a natural reservoir host of SARS-CoV-2.
    • we immediately performed a surveillance investigation in mammals in and around Wuhan after we identified an unknown coronavirus as the etiologic agent of COVID-19. As a result, canine alphacoronavirus were identified in raccoon dogs, while SARS-CoV-related coronaviruses and recombinant viruses of SARS-related and SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses were found in bats. However, no SARS-CoV-2 or the close relatives of SARS-CoV-2 were found in these mammals.
      • coronaviruses were screened in the lung, liver, and intestinal tissue samples from fifteen raccoon dogs, seven Siberian weasels, three hog badgers, and three Reeves’s muntjacs collected in Wuhan and 334 bats collected around Wuhan. Consequently, eight alphacoronaviruses were identified in raccoon dogs, while nine betacoronaviruses were found in bats. Notably, the newly discovered alphacoronaviruses shared a high whole-genome sequence similarity (97.9 per cent) with the canine coronavirus (CCoV) strain 2020/7 sampled from domestic dog in the UK. Some betacoronaviruses identified here were closely related to previously known bat SARS-CoV-related viruses sampled from Hubei province and its neighbors, while the remaining betacoronaviruses exhibited a close evolutionary relationship with SARS-CoV-related bat viruses in the RdRp gene tree and clustered together with SARS-CoV-2-related bat coronaviruses in the M, N and S gene trees, but with relatively low similarity. Additionally, these newly discovered betacoronaviruses seem unlikely to bind angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 because of the deletions in the two key regions of their receptor-binding motifs. Finally, we did not find SARS-CoV-2 or its progenitor virus in these animal samples.
      • https://academic.oup.com/ve/article/8/1/veac046/6601809
    • (that is- they looked at 362 animals in Wuhan, mostly bats and discovered 17 new coronaviruses similar to SARS2.  (oh fuck) The viruses most similar to SARS2 are found in bat caves 800 miles from Wuhan).

• Many red flags here:  not published in any science journal, no peer review, paid advertising, Quay is a legitimate M.D. but this paper is really nothing more than a .pdf file posted online.
    • "Examining the structure and format of the document it becomes immediately clear that this is not a real scientific study but a report that contains scattered data and imagesNowhere in the paper is there an explanation of the protocol used to select the items included in the author's analysis, nor of the process followed to arrive at the final conclusions or to eliminate possible data selection bias as it occurs typically in meta-analyses of scientific research....While Bayes' theorem is an extremely useful scientific tool when used correctly, it is also known for its ability to superficially justify pseudoscientific hypotheses when used incorrectly. The theorem does not derive objective probabilities, but relies entirely on the probabilities given to it and the way in which those probabilities are introduced....The third argument that the paper takes into account is three of the key studies that support the unanimity of the natural origin of the virus. The paper briefly describes all 3 studies as so problematic that it doesn't even consider them to renew the possibility of a natural origin of the virus....Essentially, at this point the paper rejects all the evidence that leads the scientific community to the consensus of natural origin, having questionably examined only a small part of the studies in question. At the same time, this rejection takes place in the place of an act, while the document then proceeds to a series of acts, each of which individually increases the probability of laboratory origin alone. Finally, the probabilities used in each act are subjective, and are based on the initially incomplete examination of the scientific evidence. Thus, with correspondingly biased practices, each editor is able to "prove as highly probable" almost any view he has decided to support in advance.
    • The paper in question is not a scientific study, but a report with confusing information and images without any explanation of the data selection protocol or the research process the author followed to reach his conclusions. The "study" in question has not been peer-reviewed, so no one has verified the accuracy of the data it presents or the conclusions, and therefore the claim that it proves that SARS-CoV-2 was manufactured in a laboratory is untenable.    https://www.ellinikahoaxes.gr/2021/02/13/study-dr-steve-quay-proves-sars-cov-2-was-lab-made-misinformation/
    • That is, your paper takes 193 pages to unscientifically declare that if we disregard all other explanations as invalid without any explanation, then the possibility of the subjectively preferred explanation is made to seem likely artifiicially.
    • Let's acknowledge that any medical professional with any honest insight into the origin of COVID-19 would be sure to publish in a  prestigious venue with peer review and enjoy the reputational benefits for the rest of her career.  The fact that Dr. Quay avoids scientists and goes straight to the tv cameras suggests his awareness that his conclusions are crap.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery

So, let's revise your stance based on these facts.
  • Based on some guy's non-scientific pdf?  No thank you
Be extremely specific: what fact do you claim NIH "backtracked" on?  What "initial narrative" has changed?
The NIH and I agree that the NIH's letter in Oct 2012 is 100% consistent with all prior NIH statements and all of Dr. Fauci's testimony regarding EcoHealth and Wuhan.  You can't say "backtrack" without first explaining what you are talking about.  In prior posts, you pointed to false headlines but I have demonstrated in detail how those headlines were malicious lies (and you have not refuted).
Here's me being extremely specific: the original story about the coronavirus originating in bats is wrong.
  • But since the NIH has never claimed that COVID-19 definitely orginates from bats that is not the NIH backtracking or changing narrative.
The original story about the coronavirus originating in a wetmarket is wrong.
  • But since the NIH has never claimed that COVID-19 definitely came from the Wuhan live animal market that is not the NIH backtracking or changing narrative.
The original story that the NIH did not fund the Wuhan lab is wrong.
  • The original story is that the Ecohealth alliance used $119,000/year of its NIH grant to pay for bat samples from Wuhan.
  • So did any NIH funds make thier way to Wuhan?  yes
  • Did the NIH fund any research in Wuhan?  no
  • Did the NIH fund any "gain of function" research in Wuhan?  no
  • Did the NIH fund any virological lab work in China?  no
  • Is your claim that Dr. Fauci   "is partly responsible for Covid [because] he helped secure funding for the gain of function research conducted in Wuhan"  even remotely true under any defintion of "gain of function" "helped secure funding" or "research" that you care to use? No,  Absolutely not.
  • Did the NIH or Dr. Fauci ever backtrack or change its narrative in any way ever about Ecohealth alliance giving $119,000/year to China?  No, it did not
  • Did the mouse model experiment that Dr. Tabak talks about in the letter you keep linking to take place in Wuhan or with the knowledge or participation of any Chinese scientist?  no
    • There was never a point where NIH denied the $119,000/yr payment to Wuhan for bat samples or changed it narrative.  When Dr. Fauci denies funding any gain of research in Wuhan that collection of samples could not qualify as gain of function research in any possible sense.  Paul wants to argue that any money given to Wuhan for any reason amounts to "funding research" but Paul's definition is a radical departure from any normal understanding of "funding research" and neither the NIH nor Dr. Fauci need adhere to Paul's overreach.
  • The NIH never funded virological research at Wuhan.  If you are going to change the standard to "they worked together" then all virology labs in every nations all share data, findings, peer review etc and there's certainly nothing there inconsistent with standard NIH, virological process, certainly nothing that NIH denied or would need or want to deny.  International scientific cooperation is to encouraged is a hallmark and foundation of all modern science.
  • Furthermore, the lab in Wuhan was built with US's enthusiastic encouragement to promote higher safety standard in Chinese research and to serve as a kind of smoke alarm for further SARS-like viruses since research showed the Wuhan region to be so rife with potential for zoonotic crossover- a function that Wuhan delivered excellently in the case of COVID, as far as we can tell.
  • Now you are just  flaunting your pronoun fuckery. 
    • Who is the first they? 
    • Who is the second they? 
  • The only variants tested using NIH grant money were tested in America. 
  • I'm not aware of any specific denial of any test of any specific variant... who and what are your referring to when you claim; "they only denied testing some of the variants."

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
Sure, but it doesn't matter whether I'm being manipulated or not.  What matters is whether the video is correct or not.  
  • All manipultion is a lie of some sort.
Fauci certainly has influence when he speaks on t.v, so he isn't absolved totally of the charge.
  • When Fauci speaks on TV he pretty consistently says the decision should be made locally and that his recommnedation is to to keep schools open whenever possible.   He pretty consistently backs the local decision-makers in their decisions but he also is a frequent advocate pushing for schools to open.  While I can find lots of examples of Fauci saying closed schools should be opened or closed schools should stay closed for a while longer, I can't find any examples of Fauci sayng that particular open schools should be closed in contradiction to local decision-makers. In spite of Republicans consistent scapegoating of Fauci as the source of school closures, I think the evidence shows that Fauci was more on the side of open schools than the state and local decision-makers who's authority he supported.  DeSantis is a pretty good example of how the political scapegoating worked.  On Easter weekend, when the US had rapidly surpassed any other country in COVID deaths, DeSantis stated that all FL schools would re-open by May since nobody under 25 years old had ever died of COVID.  Asked about DeSantis, Fauci replied that without getting into FL specifically, re-opening schools right now would definitely increase the  impact of the virus and that he'd want to get closer to May before making that decision.  He also corrected the DeSantis's misinformation by stating that there were definitely some Americans under 25 who had died from COVID.  DeSantis' reaction to Fauci's non-criciticsim was to make t-shirts saying, "Don't Fauci my Florida."  Honestly, I don't see any connection between Fauci's rational truth telling and DeSantis' emotional response.

It would also be interesting to see any evidence that Fauci talked about shutting schools before they were closed, if it exists.
  • Why so passive?  Why do you wait for others to bring you propaganda rather than researching the evidence for yourself?  Every task force press conference is available online.  
  • Just about any public figure that gives hundreds of interviews and press conferences is going contradict themselves every once in a while. An occaisional contradiction is far less relevant than the overall messaging of public figures, right?   The question is whether Trump and Paul are unfairly scapegoating Fauci for giving pretty consistent good information to cover up the fact that they themselves are guilty of delberately spreading false information for poltical gain.
Based on what you're saying, I think Fauci had very little to do with the schools closing.
  • So that means that pretty much all of Republican media, Republican polticians, etc are knowingly misinforming you and scapegoating a worthy civil servant.   Still don't care about being manipulated?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
-->@Avery
Here is the letter that prefaced Fauci's recommendations.

• This is a letter addressed to Fauci on Mar 16th with many scientists calling for a nationwide shutdown. Clearly, if Fauci wanted all schools shut down, public support like this would have given Fauci polticial cover.   Instead,  I have already documented Fauci's response 4 days later when he quite clearly states that decision must be made locally, not nationally.  Again, I will point out that Fauci is ahead of Trump, who only supported Governors making the call 7 days after this letter.

• This interview is March 6th, ten days before the above pressure, 2 weeks before the press conference where Fauci became a public enemy of the right for contradicting Trump with the truth.  
  • Even this early, Fauci is quite consistent:
    • "What I'm seeing and what I think we'll see, Howard, is not an official country-wide mitigation.  I think the public will essentially make their own decision.  People will be doing things like decreasing travel by doing the kinds of things that you mentioned- cancelling conferences, encouraging people to not work in the workplace if they could do it at home.  They're going to be doing that anyway, so I don't think it's going to be like a public health mandate, but people are going to start hunkering down a bit.  Because you see them doing it spontaneously anyway."

Around May 2020 there are a ton of articles describing fights with Trump on whether school restrictions should be lifted.
  • By May, the question of spring semester is essentially over and the debate was about how to re-open schools in the fall.  I have already including quotes above showing Fauci strongly supporting re-opening schools in the fall with vigorous measure like distancing and masking.  When Paul accusses Fauci on May 12th of supporting school closure and doesn't give Fauci any time to respond, Sen. Alexander makes a point of returning to the question and asks Fauci point blank whether he's recommmending schools remain closed in the fall and Fauci unequivocally says no.

Avery
Avery
-->
@oromagi
Sorry, I should have cleaned that up better.
I thought for a second you were mocking me by repeating everything I wrote to you lol.

Not a big deal :)

-->@oromagi

Again, the reason I posted that Youtube video originally was to show where Fauci's words came from. Again, I'm not Rand Paul and I didn't post the video to echo his argument precisely. I find it really odd that Fauci effectively said "we did not fund gain-of-function research, and if we did...", and that was the only intention of posting that clip.

(1) Conflating my arguments with Paul's, after I've repeatedly said I'm not Paul or making his argument, is just a rubbish argument from you.

(2) You didn't make an argument in the OP. All you did was post a speech. I made Fauci the topic by criticizing him. It's not Ad Hominem if the topic is the person.

• False.  For coronavirus research to be "gain-of-function" according to NIH standards, it must have a demonstrated potential for human pandemic.  That is "SARS, MERS, and avian flu strains in humans" as Dr. Baric succinctly explained in POST #9
Uh hello, does the coronavirus not have "a demonstrated potential for human pandemic?" 

So, this is actually 'true' if the coronavirus were being studied, hence my hypothetical is true. 

Your contention is whether the research actually involved the coronavirus strand that caused the pandemic, which you bring up later in more detail (so I'll address it there).

• Which letter I went through in POST #27 in some detail and bolded and underlined  for you the parts where the NIH very specifically explains how this is not "gain-of-function" and is not SARS2 and could not be SARS2
    • It is not good faith argument to just keep repeating your contention while ignoring the fact I have blown your contention to pieces.
    • Your argument is "Fauci funded COVID-19"  and "Fauci lied about it"  This letter very specifically proves that both of your arguments are 100% false.  You have to address my arguments.  You can't repeat the fake news a third time and link to the same letter that proves your news as fake three times.
    • What is the physical link between the NIH funded research on mice in North Carolina and Wuhan? 
    • What proof do you have that WIV1 can become SARS- the geneolocial  equivalent of claiming that a chimpanzee gave birth to a live human?
Firstly, the NIH funded the Wuhan Virology lab through Ecohealth Alliance -- you're not contesting that at all.

You're right in saying the letter specifically denies that the variants tested (or at least stated) could have morphed into the pandemic inducing Covid-19. However, let's revisit their statement as to what they were doing/what happened with that funding:

EcoHealthAlliance was testing if spike proteins from naturally occurring bat coronaviruses circulating in China were capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor in a mouse model In this limited experiment, laboratory mice infected with the SHC014 WIV1 bat coronavirus became sicker than those infected with the WIV1 bat coronavirus.   As sometimes occurs in science, this was an unexpected result of the research, as opposed to something that the researchers set out to do. Regardless, the viruses being studied under this grant were genetically very distant from SARS-CoV-2 ...
[So, neither SHC014 or WIV1 can be gain-of-function because neither virus exists in humans, also gain-of-function research must be intentional, unexpected results never qualify as gain-of-function].
Whilst this is not 'gain-of-function' in the 2011/2012 NIH definition sense, let's put into plain English what has happened: they've made a virus that is BETTER capable of making humans sicker. This is due to humans sharing the ACE2 receptor which was the part tested on the mice. So, this is gain-of-function in the historical sense.

The letter does protest that this was "an unexpected result", but they've still done it: they've still modified a virus to make it more effective at attacking humans. THAT'S what matters most, not whether it perfectly fits an abstract definition.

(b) The definition is a bit of a bait-and-switch because it's possible for Fauci to say that gain-of-function research is not being conducted (in accordance with the new 2011/2012 definition), whilst gain-of-function research is being conducted via the old definition (that everyone besides the NIH is using).
  • False.  Fauci never ever baits-and-switches.  He is NIH.  He was a part of coming up with the definiton of "gain-of-function."  When Fauci says "gain-of-function" he only means the NIH version.  That's why Fauci says "...and even if it was" in his May 11th testimony- he never considers such research gain-of-function although others might, right?
Incorrect.

When Fauci says "and even if it was", he starts referring to a non-NIH version -- he doesn't only mean the NIH version now.

Furthermore, he shouldn't be entertaining what others might think because their definition should be wrong to him. His response to Rand Paul should have been, 'the NIH was not funding gain-of-function research in the Wuhan lab'. When Rand Paul was accusing the research done in the Wuhan lab as being gain-of-function, Fauci's response should have been, 'the research conducted is not gain-of-function, according to the NIH definition'.

But those weren't the responses given. Instead, we got the contradictory 'it's not and even if it was, it's according to the guidelines'. Fauci's own words contradict himself.

• False and again you are just repeating your argument without bothering to address my counterargument that already disproved this argument.  The NIH had to go through peer review, Congressional approval, inspector general oversight, hundreds of commitees and meeting.  This is reasonably  like the Dept of Justice updating their definition of murder it is nothing at all like a murderer updating his definiton of murder.  Please address my arguments rather than just repeating shit over and over.
But your counterargument agreed with me, you just argued that there were more steps involved. It's still like a potential murderer campaigning for a change in the definition of murder, spending two years getting that passed, and then using the changed definition to kill a bunch of people because it's not murder anymore.

This contention here is pretty relevant because it appears that the research conducted in Wuhan would be considered gain-of-function with the historical definition, but not the new NIH definition.

But we're not talking about "thousands of different coronavirus strains".
  • Well then you need to stop saying coronavirus and start saying SARS2 because when you say "Wuhan working on coronaviruses" that includes thousands of possiblities that have nothing to do with humans.
When I say the coronavirus, everyone but you seems to understand I'm referring to the one which caused the pandemic. You're just being obtuse.
oromagi
oromagi
When Fauci says "and even if it was", he starts referring to a non-NIH version -- he doesn't only mean the NIH version now.

Furthermore, he shouldn't be entertaining what others might think because their definition should be wrong to him. His response to Rand Paul should have been, 'the NIH was not funding gain-of-function research in the Wuhan lab'.   But those weren't the responses given. Instead, we got the contradictory 'it's not and even if it was, it's according to the guidelines'. Fauci's own words contradict himself.

• WTF?
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (59:49) Senator Paul, with all due respect, you are entirely and completely incorrect that the NIH has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:01:43I don’t favor gain-of-function research in China. You are saying things that are not correct.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:03:20I do not have any accounting of what the Chinese may have done, and I’m fully in favor of any further investigation of what went on in China. However, I will repeat again, the NIH and NIAID categorically has not funded gain-of-function research to be conducted in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:04:10 I fully agree that you should investigate where the virus came from. But again, we have not funded gain-of-function research on this virus in the Wuhan Institute of Virology. No matter how many times you say it, it didn’t happen.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:05:00 Yeah. I mean, I just wanted to say, I don’t know how many times I can say it, Madam Chair, we did not fund gain-of-function research to be conducted in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
  • Senator Paul had deceptively switched the subject to Dr. Baric's research in North Carolina so it would have been  non-responsive and confusing to make some reply about research Wuhan to that specific question.
  • Do you still stand by your OP claim that Fauci was lying about gain-of-function research in Wuhan?  And if yes, why?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
This contention here is pretty relevant because it appears that the research conducted in Wuhan would be considered gain-of-function with the historical definition, but not the new NIH definition.
  • Please answer as directly as possible.  What research in Wuhan are you talking about?  

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
When I say the coronavirus, everyone but you seems to understand I'm referring to the one which caused the pandemic. You're just being obtuse.
  • Not any scientist of any stripe would conflate the two.  That's like accusing somebody of murder and then later saying "well, actually he killed a mammal.  Everybody knows that humans are mammals"    The common cold is a coronavirus.  Scientists researching the common cold don't need to follow the same protocols as scientists researching SARS. 
  • Since you are judging a scientist who would not conflate the two, you should judge Fauci according to a scientist's standards.

Avery
Avery
-->
@oromagi
(2) None of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket initially tested had traces of coronavirus (around 2000 samples), and zero animals from 209 other wetmarkets around China (around 80,000 samples) has traces of coronavirus 
  • False.  
    • The initial research revealed a close evolutionary relationship between SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-related bat viruses (Wu et al. 2020). Especially, the identification of the virus RaTG13 in Rhinolophus affinis bats sampled from Yunnan province of China, which is 96.1 per cent identical to SARS-CoV-2 at the whole-genome sequence level, indicated a probable bat origin of SARS-CoV-2 (Zhou et al. 2020b). Subsequently, other close relatives of SARS-CoV-2 were identified in bats sampled from Yunnan province of China (Zhou et al. 2020a), Japan (Murakami et al. 2020), and Thailand (Wacharapluesadee et al. 2021). Importantly, a virus named BANAL-52 discovered in Rhinolophus malayanus bats from Laos is closer to SARS-CoV-2 than any known viruses and has a potential for infecting humans (Temmam et al. 2022). All these data indicate that bats are a natural reservoir host of SARS-CoV-2.
    • we immediately performed a surveillance investigation in mammals in and around Wuhan after we identified an unknown coronavirus as the etiologic agent of COVID-19. As a result, canine alphacoronavirus were identified in raccoon dogs, while SARS-CoV-related coronaviruses and recombinant viruses of SARS-related and SARS-CoV-2-related coronaviruses were found in bats. However, no SARS-CoV-2 or the close relatives of SARS-CoV-2 were found in these mammals.
      • coronaviruses were screened in the lung, liver, and intestinal tissue samples from fifteen raccoon dogs, seven Siberian weasels, three hog badgers, and three Reeves’s muntjacs collected in Wuhan and 334 bats collected around Wuhan. Consequently, eight alphacoronaviruses were identified in raccoon dogs, while nine betacoronaviruses were found in bats. Notably, the newly discovered alphacoronaviruses shared a high whole-genome sequence similarity (97.9 per cent) with the canine coronavirus (CCoV) strain 2020/7 sampled from domestic dog in the UK. Some betacoronaviruses identified here were closely related to previously known bat SARS-CoV-related viruses sampled from Hubei province and its neighbors, while the remaining betacoronaviruses exhibited a close evolutionary relationship with SARS-CoV-related bat viruses in the RdRp gene tree and clustered together with SARS-CoV-2-related bat coronaviruses in the M, N and S gene trees, but with relatively low similarity. Additionally, these newly discovered betacoronaviruses seem unlikely to bind angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 because of the deletions in the two key regions of their receptor-binding motifs. Finally, we did not find SARS-CoV-2 or its progenitor virus in these animal samples.
      • https://academic.oup.com/ve/article/8/1/veac046/6601809
    • (that is- they looked at 362 animals in Wuhan, mostly bats and discovered 17 new coronaviruses similar to SARS2.  (oh fuck) The viruses most similar to SARS2 are found in bat caves 800 miles from Wuhan).
Yeah none of the animals tested had traces of Covid-19. The closest you've gotten here is providing evidence for a "close evolutionary gap" or that it's "similar", which is not Covid-19.

On a slightly different note, I re-read the cited paper again and found it also confirms that none of the hospital patients from the Huanan market had the earliest Covid-19 strain, and that all four patients who had contact with the Huanan market did not have the Covid-19 strain.

None of what you wrote here proves that Covid-19 came from a wetmarket.

• Many red flags here:  not published in any science journal, no peer review, paid advertising, Quay is a legitimate M.D. but this paper is really nothing more than a .pdf file posted online.
I could get into how peer review means virtually nothing, or how this is all Ad Hominem (again), but none of that matters if the paper is correct, so I'm just going to focus on that.

• "Examining the structure and format of the document it becomes immediately clear that this is not a real scientific study but a report that contains scattered data and imagesNowhere in the paper is there an explanation of the protocol used to select the items included in the author's analysis, nor of the process followed to arrive at the final conclusions or to eliminate possible data selection bias as it occurs typically in meta-analyses of scientific research....
Is there any evidence to show that this potential problem actually affected the paper?

• While Bayes' theorem is an extremely useful scientific tool when used correctly, it is also known for its ability to superficially justify pseudoscientific hypotheses when used incorrectly. The theorem does not derive objective probabilities, but relies entirely on the probabilities given to it and the way in which those probabilities are introduced.
This is not a specific critique of the paper. The paper even concludes that the lab leak theory is only probably correct, rather than certainly correct. Nothing here actually critiques the paper.

• ...The third argument that the paper takes into account is three of the key studies that support the unanimity of the natural origin of the virus. The paper briefly describes all 3 studies as so problematic that it doesn't even consider them to renew the possibility of a natural origin of the virus....Essentially, at this point the paper rejects all the evidence that leads the scientific community to the consensus of natural origin, having questionably examined only a small part of the studies in question. 
Firstly, where is it shown that the "natural origin" theory is the consensus in the "scientific community?". Seems like a bare assertion.

Secondly, where does this critique contend with the facts I referred to above: (1) no animal in/surrounding/involved in the Huanan market had traces of Covid-19, and (2) none of the first detected Covid-19 patients had anything to do with the Huanan wetmarket, and (3) of the patients who did have contact with the Huanan wetmarket (during the initial outbreak), none of them had Covid-19?

• At the same time, this rejection takes place in the place of an act, while the document then proceeds to a series of acts, each of which individually increases the probability of laboratory origin alone.
It's rejected based on the above facts. This is how Bayesian analysis is conducted.

• Finally, the probabilities used in each act are subjective, and are based on the initially incomplete examination of the scientific evidence. Thus, with correspondingly biased practices, each editor is able to "prove as highly probable" almost any view he has decided to support in advance.
You need to demonstrate why the findings are based on "initially incomplete examination of the scientific evidence", rather than just blindly stating it.

• That is, your paper takes 193 pages to unscientifically declare that if we disregard all other explanations as invalid without any explanation, then the possibility of the subjectively preferred explanation is made to seem likely artifiicially.
I refer to the explanations above (i.e. nobody involved in the Huanan wetmarket having Covid-19, none of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket having Covid-19 etc.)

• Let's acknowledge that any medical professional with any honest insight into the origin of COVID-19 would be sure to publish in a  prestigious venue with peer review and enjoy the reputational benefits for the rest of her career.  The fact that Dr. Quay avoids scientists and goes straight to the tv cameras suggests his awareness that his conclusions are crap.
LOL. Why would we acknowledge that when it's untrue?

Chinese whistleblowers 'disappeared'. One actually reappeared and "experienced things I'm unable to talk about" Missing Chinese Covid whistleblower appears after 18 months saying 'I’ve experienced things I can’t talk about' | The US Sun (the-sun.com)

Why would anyone want to publicly print an alternative theory when anyone who does gets punished for it?

At the start of Covid-19, you couldn't get a word out about lab-leak theory without getting deleted by so many platforms. How the hell do you think someone is going to research for months on end and then publish extensive research on this?

Utterly delusional.

Be extremely specific: what fact do you claim NIH "backtracked" on?  What "initial narrative" has changed?
The NIH and I agree that the NIH's letter in Oct 2012 is 100% consistent with all prior NIH statements and all of Dr. Fauci's testimony regarding EcoHealth and Wuhan.  You can't say "backtrack" without first explaining what you are talking about.  In prior posts, you pointed to false headlines but I have demonstrated in detail how those headlines were malicious lies (and you have not refuted).
Here's me being extremely specific: the original story about the coronavirus originating in bats is wrong.
  • But since the NIH has never claimed that COVID-19 definitely orginates from bats that is not the NIH backtracking or changing narrative.
They're still claiming it as of March this year: "Research evidence suggests that SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV originated in bats" Origins of Coronaviruses | NIH: National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases 

The original story about the coronavirus originating in a wetmarket is wrong.
  • But since the NIH has never claimed that COVID-19 definitely came from the Wuhan live animal market that is not the NIH backtracking or changing narrative.
AFAIK, there was no official statement as to what caused Covid-19, but they allowed a litany of research to be published which concluded that it was likely Covid-19 started from the wetmarket:

"As for the vast majority of human viruses, the most parsimonious explanation for the origin of SARS-CoV-2 is a zoonotic event. The documented epidemiological history of the virus is comparable to previous animal market-associated outbreaks of coronaviruses with a simple route for human exposure." The origins of SARS-CoV-2: A critical review (nih.gov) 

"Substantial evidence to suggest the source of transmission of the virus occurred within the Wuhan wet market" Illicit Wildlife Trade, Wet Markets, and COVID-19: Preventing Future Pandemics - PubMed (nih.gov) 

"The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic" The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic - PubMed (nih.gov) 

Avery
Avery
-->
@oromagi
The original story that the NIH did not fund the Wuhan lab is wrong.
  • The original story is that the Ecohealth alliance used $119,000/year of its NIH grant to pay for bat samples from Wuhan
  • So did any NIH funds make thier way to Wuhan?  yes
  • Did the NIH fund any research in Wuhan?  no
  • Did the NIH fund any "gain of function" research in Wuhan?  no
  • Did the NIH fund any virological lab work in China?  no
  • Is your claim that Dr. Fauci   "is partly responsible for Covid [because] he helped secure funding for the gain of function research conducted in Wuhan"  even remotely true under any defintion of "gain of function" "helped secure funding" or "research" that you care to use? No,  Absolutely not.
  • Did the NIH or Dr. Fauci ever backtrack or change its narrative in any way ever about Ecohealth alliance giving $119,000/year to China?  No, it did not
  • Did the mouse model experiment that Dr. Tabak talks about in the letter you keep linking to take place in Wuhan or with the knowledge or participation of any Chinese scientist?  no
    • There was never a point where NIH denied the $119,000/yr payment to Wuhan for bat samples or changed it narrative.  When Dr. Fauci denies funding any gain of research in Wuhan that collection of samples could not qualify as gain of function research in any possible sense.  Paul wants to argue that any money given to Wuhan for any reason amounts to "funding research" but Paul's definition is a radical departure from any normal understanding of "funding research" and neither the NIH nor Dr. Fauci need adhere to Paul's overreach.
I'm sure Covid-19 can't have possibly come from the Wuhan lab, and that they had bat samples for no apparent reason, of which definitely don't have similar genetic profiles to Covid-19. Yep, and I'm sure EcoHealth Alliance just stared at the bat samples and did nothing with them, too. I'm sure that the research in Wuhan, which isn't known to study coronavirus in bats at all (and if it did, it's definitely not gain-of-function research, either), didn't use any of its EcoHealth Alliance funding to study anything else How China's 'Bat Woman' Hunted Down Viruses from SARS to the New Coronavirus - Scientific American .

• The NIH never funded virological research at Wuhan.  If you are going to change the standard to "they worked together" then all virology labs in every nations all share data, findings, peer review etc
Nope.

The standard I am specifically using is that the NIH funded the Wuhan lab (through EcoHealth Alliance). That isn't your suggested definition, regardless of whether you agree with the veracity of my statement.

Sure, but it doesn't matter whether I'm being manipulated or not.  What matters is whether the video is correct or not.  
  • All manipultion is a lie of some sort.
Prove it.

Fauci certainly has influence when he speaks on t.v, so he isn't absolved totally of the charge.
  • When Fauci speaks on TV he pretty consistently says the decision should be made locally and that his recommnedation is to to keep schools open whenever possible.   He pretty consistently backs the local decision-makers in their decisions but he also is a frequent advocate pushing for schools to open.  While I can find lots of examples of Fauci saying closed schools should be opened or closed schools should stay closed for a while longer, I can't find any examples of Fauci sayng that particular open schools should be closed in contradiction to local decision-makers.
Okay.

• Why so passive?  Why do you wait for others to bring you propaganda rather than researching the evidence for yourself?  Every task force press conference is available online.  
It's called having a job and a life. I don't have 5 hours a day to sit on here and research. I'm just saying I haven't found such evidence, and it would be interesting if it existed.

Talk about getting your panties in a bunch over nothing lol.

• Just about any public figure that gives hundreds of interviews and press conferences is going contradict themselves every once in a while. An occaisional contradiction is far less relevant than the overall messaging of public figures, right?   The question is whether Trump and Paul are unfairly scapegoating Fauci for giving pretty consistent good information to cover up the fact that they themselves are guilty of delberately spreading false information for poltical gain.
No, no.

This is not necessarily a random, irrelevant contradiction that just happens. I want to know why it did happen because this man was heavily involved in dealing with the Covid-19 outbreak. It's important to know if gain-of-function research was being conducted, because that could mean a plandemic. 

• So that means that pretty much all of Republican media, Republican polticians, etc are knowingly misinforming you and scapegoating a worthy civil servant.   Still don't care about being manipulated?
There's no manipulation.

I'm just seeing information and making the best decision I can based on that. When I see the context for Fauci saying what he said about schools, I don't see the necessary context to condemn him.

Simple as that.
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
-->
@oromagi
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (59:49Senator Paul, with all due respect, you are entirely and completely incorrect that the NIH has not ever and does not now fund gain-of-function research in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:01:43)  I don’t favor gain-of-function research in China. You are saying things that are not correct.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:03:20)  I do not have any accounting of what the Chinese may have done, and I’m fully in favor of any further investigation of what went on in China. However, I will repeat again, the NIH and NIAID categorically has not funded gain-of-function research to be conducted in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:04:10 I fully agree that you should investigate where the virus came from. But again, we have not funded gain-of-function research on this virus in the Wuhan Institute of Virology. No matter how many times you say it, it didn’t happen.
    • Dr. Anthony Fauci: (01:05:00 Yeah. I mean, I just wanted to say, I don’t know how many times I can say it, Madam Chair, we did not fund gain-of-function research to be conducted in the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

ohhhhh so nowww you want to quote Fauci when he isn't contradicting himself and admitting to having millions from vaccines. 
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
-->
@oromagi

nothing to say about this billion dollar fine ay? 
Avery
Avery
-->
@Greyparrot
@oromagi
  • This is a letter addressed to Fauci on Mar 16th with many scientists calling for a nationwide shutdown. Clearly, if Fauci wanted all schools shut down, public support like this would have given Fauci polticial cover.   Instead,  I have already documented Fauci's response 4 days later when he quite clearly states that decision must be made locally, not nationally.  Again, I will point out that Fauci is ahead of Trump, who only supported Governors making the call 7 days after this letter.

• This interview is March 6th, ten days before the above pressure, 2 weeks before the press conference where Fauci became a public enemy of the right for contradicting Trump with the truth.  
  • Even this early, Fauci is quite consistent:
    • "What I'm seeing and what I think we'll see, Howard, is not an official country-wide mitigation.  I think the public will essentially make their own decision.  People will be doing things like decreasing travel by doing the kinds of things that you mentioned- cancelling conferences, encouraging people to not work in the workplace if they could do it at home.  They're going to be doing that anyway, so I don't think it's going to be like a public health mandate, but people are going to start hunkering down a bit.  Because you see them doing it spontaneously anyway."
I can't agree with Fauci's original quote that he "had nothing to do" with closing down schools. He did use his big, national platform to say, "the schools should be closed". That is going to have some amount of influence on the people making the decision.

Albeit, given the full context, I think he's had substantially less to do with school closure than the videoclip lets on. He doesn't appear to be the one calling to shots, in regard to school closure. He's only stated that in certain circumstances, noting that the decision shouldn't be his, the schools should be closed.

Especially considering that the videoclip of him saying the schools should be closed came after most schools were closed, I think it's fair to say he had very little to do with the schools closing.

Correct me if my timeline is wrong.
  • By May, the question of spring semester is essentially over and the debate was about how to re-open schools in the fall.  I have already including quotes above showing Fauci strongly supporting re-opening schools in the fall with vigorous measure like distancing and masking.  When Paul accusses Fauci on May 12th of supporting school closure and doesn't give Fauci any time to respond, Sen. Alexander makes a point of returning to the question and asks Fauci point blank whether he's recommmending schools remain closed in the fall and Fauci unequivocally says no.
Okay.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery

None of what you wrote here proves that Covid-19 came from a wetmarket.
  • I am not trying to prove that COVID-19 comes from a wet market.... scientists say they don't know where it came from, remember?
  • I am arguing that you are deliberately slandering Fauci without evidence when you claim, "Anthony is partly responsible for Covid. He helped secure funding for the gain of function research conducted in Wuhan"
    • To make your claim, you must prove that COVID came from the research lab in Wuhan.
I could get into how peer review means virtually nothing, or how this is all Ad Hominem (again), but none of that matters if the paper is correct, so I'm just going to focus on that.
    • Again, you clearly don't understand ad hominem if you think that calling out a scientific claim for not revealing what procedures it followed counts as ad hominem.
    • Nothing requires you to adhere to basic scientific standards for the formulation of your beliefs but then nobody in government or science will or ought to take your claims seriously.  If you are going to claim that Fauci knew about some kind of dangerous research in Wuhan, you must be able to show evidence that is both willing stand up to basic fact-checking such as peer review and applies those standard voluntarily.
Is there any evidence to show that this potential problem actually affected the paper?
  • Yes.  It's like claiming you have Royal Flush in poker but refusing to show your cards.  Nobody has any reason to believe your claim.
This is not a specific critique of the paper.
  • Yes it is.  That specific critique is that this paper does not adhere to basic scientific standards of proof, documentation, fact-checking, data sharing, etc.
Firstly, where is it shown that the "natural origin" theory is the consensus in the "scientific community?". Seems like a bare assertion.
  • The fact-checker provided you with five citations backing this statement.  Why are you pretending they didn't?
Secondly, where does this critique contend with the facts I referred to above:

(1) no animal in/surrounding/involved in the Huanan market had traces of Covid-19, and
  • You originally claimed  "None of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket initially tested had traces of coronavirus (around 2000 samples), and zero animals from 209 other wetmarkets around China (around 80,000 samples) has traces of coronavirus" but in fact many, many new SARS like coronaviruses were found.  SInce viruses rapidly mutate after zoonotic transfer, it is not particular surprising that no COVID-19 was found.  We don't know exactly what the virus looked like before it infected humans but it probably didn't look exactly like COVID-19.
(2) none of the first detected Covid-19 patients had anything to do with the Huanan wetmarket, and
(3) of the patients who did have contact with the Huanan wetmarket (during the initial outbreak), none of them had Covid-19?
It's rejected based on the above facts.
  • So, yeah, your "analysis" is pulling from easily falsified fake news.  Your source doesn't even have simple, basic fact right.
You need to demonstrate why the findings are based on "initially incomplete examination of the scientific evidence", rather than just blindly stating it.
  • All I have to demonstrate that you are knowingly, creully making up evil, false accusations about a guy for no good reason.  That is totally accomplished.
I refer to the explanations above (i.e. nobody involved in the Huanan wetmarket having Covid-19, none of the animals in the Huanan wetmarket having Covid-19 etc.)
  • Fake news, gullible.
LOL. Why would we acknowledge that when it's untrue?
  • Yeah, right.  Your dude has totally proved the origins of COVID and hundreds of goverments and hundreds of thousands of scientists are all working together is some conspiracy to cover up the facts.  Use basic common sense.
  • Both of these are frequently noted sources of fake news, one from the right, one from the left.  I'm beginning to think I'm wasting time on a fake new junky with zero legit research skills.
How the hell do you think someone is going to research for months on end and then publish extensive research on this?
  • He didn't publish in any science journal. 
But since the NIH has never claimed that COVID-19 definitely orginates from bats that is not the NIH backtracking or changing narrative.
They're still claiming it as of March this year: "Research evidence suggests that SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV originated in bats"
  • I see.  So the problem  here is that you don't comprehend that "research suggests" is an entirely different standard than "definitely orginates."
AFAIK, there was no official statement as to what caused Covid-19, but they allowed a litany of research to be published which concluded that it was likely Covid-19 started from the wetmarket:

"As for the vast majority of human viruses, the most parsimonious explanation for the origin of SARS-CoV-2 is a zoonotic event. The documented epidemiological history of the virus is comparable to previous animal market-associated outbreaks of coronaviruses with a simple route for human exposure." The origins of SARS-CoV-2: A critical review (nih.gov) 

"Substantial evidence to suggest the source of transmission of the virus occurred within the Wuhan wet market" Illicit Wildlife Trade, Wet Markets, and COVID-19: Preventing Future Pandemics - PubMed (nih.gov) 

"The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic" The Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan was the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic - PubMed (nih.gov) 
  • Exactly.  This is exactly what responsible  science is saying:  very, very likely, most parismonious, substantial evidence.  Not a proven fact, not 100% proof that your lab theory is bullshit, just very, very likely that your theory is bullshit.  SInce you have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are easily persuaded by tabloids and .pdfs that reinforce your predjudices and totally immune to the system of careful gatekeepers and factcheckers that try hard to inform the public what is nonsense and what is real, I really don't think you are capable of producing an argument for your claim that Dr Fauci is responsbile for COVID or that Dr. Fauci ever lied about gain-of-function research.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Avery
they had bat samples for no apparent reason, of which definitely don't have similar genetic profiles to Covid-19. Yep, and I'm sure EcoHealth Alliance just stared at the bat samples and did nothing with them, too. I'm sure that the research in Wuhan, which isn't known to study coronavirus in bats at all (and if it did, it's definitely not gain-of-function research, either), didn't use any of its EcoHealth Alliance funding to study anything else How China's 'Bat Woman' Hunted Down Viruses from SARS to the New Coronavirus - Scientific American .
  • excellent proof that you lack basic context about Wuhan.  After SARS broke out in 2003, virologists around the world were astonished to discover that bats in Southeast Asia and particularly in the caves around were just chock full of coronaviruses with zoonotic potential.  WHO and US scientist strongly urged China to build a lab in Wuhan that focused on coronaviruses, bat coronaviruses particularly, bat coronaviruses that might cross over into humans most particularly.  US and CHinese scientist weren't collecting massive amounts of  bat samples for "no reason"  Scientists knew since 2003 that COVID-19 was coming, was more or less inevitable and wanted a lab in Wuhan to serve as a lookout.  It is not a fucking coincidence, the lab at Wuhan discovered COVID-19 early and sounded the international alarm a full eight weeks before COVID-19 reached pandemic potential in the US.  Wuhan was purpose built for that exact reason.  American researchers were developing an mRNA vaccinne for 15 years for that exact emergency that smart scientists accurately predicted would happen.
The standard I am specifically using is that the NIH funded the Wuhan lab (through EcoHealth Alliance).
  • Nobody has ever denied that Ecohealth sent a very small amount of money to Wuhan but it was not for "gain-of-function" research or virological research of any kind, it was just for gathering samples.  When your sources claim the Dr. Fauci was funding COVID- that's a total lie.  When your sources claim the NIH was funding something risky in China- that's a total lie.  
  • It is hard to believe you genuinely don't understand this distinction.  You are just scraping for some kind of conspiracy where none exists.

All manipultion is a lie of some sort.
Prove it.
Talk about getting your panties in a bunch over nothing lol.
  • I don't call false accusations that somebody mass murdered millons of people "nothing."   There's a lot of mental illness on this site.  If somebody believes your false accusations and does harm to Dr. Fauci based on your claim that he is a mass murderer, do you think you bear responsibility?
I want to know why it did happen because this man was heavily involved in dealing with the Covid-19 outbreak. It's important to know if gain-of-function research was being conducted, because that could mean a plandemic. 
  • What is "it" in this sentence?  Many smart scientists have taken a hard look a the possibility that COIVD-19 was deliberate or designed but the whole nature of the virus and its emergence from a well known vector suggest it would be a stupid, pointless, impossible to control design which is borne out by the fact that if China did it deliberately they hurt themselves harder than they hurt anybody else.