Reset Your Router Often

Author: ebuc

Total: 31
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
My issue may be resolved. Twice now, PM and next AM, was able to access dbart. Tried a few options to resolve, and those might seemed to have worked one time, and then back to " secure conncetion failed ".." PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR " messages.

.....Wife said she resets the wifi router once a week, and had reset it a few days prior or when my issues began. So yesterday AM I could not access dbate, and went away for 9 hours, then it worked. The only thing that changed, was our new internet provider came an installed their cable to our router.

......So maybe a longer reset of router cleared cache of chaos out better....." the benefits of regularly rebooting your router are twofold. If you want a faster connection, you should be regularly turning your router on and off. According to Consumer Reports, your Internet provider assigns a temporary IP address to each of your devices which can change at any time. If your router doesn’t catch the change, your connection may slow, just like if too many devices connect to your router. “From a performance perspective, restarting your router every so often (once every one or two months) can help maintain the reliability of your home network,” explains Nick Merrill, founder of cybersecurity consultancy Broad Daylight. Rebooting and Hacking But restarting your router isn’t only to
help your online shopping. It also prevents hacking.

.....The FBI recommended all home and small business routers were rebooted in 2018 after foreign hackers compromised thousands of networks worldwide. Using malware called VPNFilter, the hackers collected information and blocked network traffic, rendering the routers inoperable. Shutting off the device would temporarily disrupt the malware.
Merrill also recommends updating your firmware, which provides network protocols, security and administrative controls, and restarting after every update to prevent further security threats. Watch out for clear signs you’re about to be hacked. "

RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
Or... get a VPN.

I recommend Nord.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
1 or 2 months?

Generally an organic d/c and reset will have occurred at night by then.
ebuc
ebuc
Mad blocker, My issues were not VPN or other related. 

My step-son an IT professional, says VPN is for paranoid people. I'm not sure I agree with him. I like the idea of having  a VPN.

Just not ready to make the leap yet. Firefox automatically does HTTPS instead of just HTTP, so they are ahead of the game with this built in.

Firefox is my 1st choice last 20 years or more.

My first sight of an internet browser was the former Firefox aka Netscape, and my first free web site was at Netscape issued.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
This is the technological equivalent of applying leeches. You don't understand what's happening, you're just doing something that seems to have an effect sometimes and now you're ascribing magical anti-malware (exorcist) properties to it.

Intermittent DNS and IP routing failures are almost always caused by DHCP refresh configuration errors (mismatches).

Just like a combustion engine's faulty carburetor might be "fixed" by hitting it with a hammer you can force  DHCP refresh by unplugging the router; but now you're telling people to hit your combustion engines with a hammer regularly to keep the gremlins from nesting.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ebuc

You are correct. Resetting a router may help resolve a DNS issue. When a router is reset, its cache will be refreshed, which may resolve the issue. Unplug the router and modem. Wait at least 15 seconds before plugging the power cables back in.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
Unplug the router and modem. Wait at least 15 seconds before plugging the power cables back in.
Yes and  after few days of hit miss of access only some websites, and trying four other browsers ---same thing happened with all of them-- and registry cleaner, adn Malware bytes, and another online file/document website, reboot PC, it was missing more than acccesing,

So I finally asked wife ---she lives in house where the router is--- and she said she resets it every week, and had reset it just a few days prior to my issues, or when they started.

Again, once the ISP person came and unplugged old ISP cable feed, and ran his cable and tested his system check on his router, enough time had passed with my router off, that maybe that is what made my issues go away. I dunno

Again, maybe the longer time off was key to a proper reset. I dunno. Wife said she does 30 seconds or more, but I questioned about whether the button on strip was really in off postion, or maybe she didnt do it long enough and she says no to both..  I'm suspicious of belief she did all properly.

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@ebuc
My step-son an IT professional, says VPN is for paranoid people. I'm not sure I agree with him. I like the idea of having  a VPN.
I would say that most people shouldn't worry about security, but the ability to access other countries' Netflix, etc., is nice.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@K_Michael
I would say that most people shouldn't worry about security, but the ability to access other countries' Netflix, etc., is nice.

Huh? What about ransom ware and those people who have social security or other that is used to create other people who are not you?

Again, not sure I agree with my IT steps-son.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@ebuc
90+% of people will never have their identity stolen, and there are a lot of easy ways to avoid ransomware, such as setting your browser to https only (this can even be done on mobile) and not clicking on sketchy links.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@K_Michael
and not clicking on sketchy links.
... and if you do click on sketchy links do not execute anything you download. It's really not that hard these days.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@K_Michael
90+% of people will never have their identity stolen,

I seem to recall two of my friends in last few years getting their credit cards numbers hack.

VPN is good idea.  Pros and cons to everything, so question of balance to find one's piece of mind.

Firefox for 20 or more years now, and they appear to me to be ahead security wise. HTTPS built in
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@RationalMadman
@ebuc
I also use firefox but https is now pretty universal.
Thanks to RM for the link.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@K_Michael
I also use firefox but https is now pretty universal.
Dont see it in URL line in Chrome or Opera. Do see in MS Edge and MS IE.

So it appears to be three out of five so far.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@ebuc
It's a setting now on all of them. Instructions in the above link.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@K_Michael
It's a setting now on all of them. Instructions in the above link.

HTTPS is inherent Firefox and Opera  URL line, ergo no setting is necessary. Smart browsers ahead of the game.

Trying out new online free virus, spyware etc called Housecall by Trend Micro https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

My Norton said it was safe to inload and running for 2nd time.

471 days later

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ebuc

Yes, it is very important that you do.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@FLRW
Just inloaded again and ran the TrendMicro security.  No threats found, so my Nortons and Malwarebytes doing good.

THere has only been one time that I ran Malwarebytes after running norton and it found something Norton missed. Minor stuff Im sure.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
I've no idea what you're on about.

I just switch on and switch off and the machine seems to work OK.

Fortunately Mrs Zed is a bit more clued up, so I rely on her for techno assist.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
I've no idea what you're on about.
Then go back and reread the URL link I gave you.  Here more info about Operas piss poor VPN

..." Opera VPN is not a safe or secure service to use. It doesn’t use a tunneling protocol, its logging policy is overly invasive, and it isn't strictly a real VPN. We don’t recommend you use Opera VPN to protect yourself online. "...

And more Opera VPN info
..."
However, if you get blocked by accident, while the error is being fixed, you can usually use the following technique to circumvent the block.
  1. Download and install the Opera Browser here: https://www.opera.com/download
  2. Start the Opera browser and open an incognito browser window. The keyboard shortcut to do this is CTRL+SHIFT+N or click the ‘O’ in the top-left corner then select ‘New private window’
  3. In the new private window click the VPN option in the address bar at the top to the left of the magnifying glass icon
  4. You can now re-try accessing the website you had trouble accessing before
Please note that Google may block VPN access using a CAPTCHA but the other search engines should still work such as Bing.com or DuckDuckGo.com

..." When you use a VPN service, it can see all of your browsing activity on the internet. Proton VPN enforces a strict no-logs policy, which means we do not keep any records of your online activity. This policy has been verified by an audit by independent security experts at Securitum. With Proton VPN, you can be confident your browsing history is private and secure."...
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
I just switch on and switch off and the machine seems to work OK.

Zed, I installed the Swiss, free proton VPN. I thought it was only going to be active when using Opera but it appears to be active with all browsers.
Not sure if there is any easy way to hav Proton active for only one browser.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Hope not bothering you Zed. Today I uninstalled that Swiss VPN program called Proton.  Started getting messages notifications on  screen they do not handle P2P i.e. Peer-to-Peer connections. probably have to pay money for that addtional service.

My IT relative says Yahoo mail is not P2P, however, yahoo mail is now back much faster normal functioning.  There advice was to ditch the VPN proton, cause dont really know who they are or what they doing on PC.  It does seem to me, that my Nortons notification window never appeared, to say this safe program etc, when I inloaded the Proton to PC

So that alone made me suspicious. Still Iinstalled and learned something about how to  make it function for me, after a couple of small hiccups learning about. Best wishes Zed to you and  Mrs Zed going forward.

Mrs ebuc managing ok, tho I worry about her  more and more.  Worry about myself more and more also.  Life is precious thing live and communicate, etc, even if on a forum.  
ebuc
ebuc
From Forbes Mag, 8 best free VPNs

..." 8 Free VPNs of 2023

TunnelBear: Best for User-Friendliness
Proton VPN: **Best for Enhanced Anonymity**
hide.me: Best for Leak Protection
Windscribe: Best for Unlimited Device Connection
VPN Unlimited: Best for Lifetime Protection
CyberGhost: Best for Ease of Use
Hotspot Shield: Best for Streaming
IPVanish: Best for Risk-Free Money-Back Guarantee '...
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Best wishes for the year ahead.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Best wishes for the year ahead.
You to Zed.  I4 days ago, and in my local town i found a brand new 20 speed girls bicycle laying on some dead bushes growing on edge of a creek. It also has front shock absorber.

Lady at nearby storage building thought most likely stolen, tho we couldnt figure why it was dumped there.

And who knows why they didnt come back.  It may have been because, dump loads of clay and larger chunks of concrete were dumped there now blocking easy access to these deadend bushes in creek.  Was a little difficult and dangerous drop-offs for me to climb over and bike kept getting branches stuck in spokes etc in trying to get it out.

Ive road it a few times, however, afterwords had some side of my knee/patella  issue and sore shoulder issues.  I dont know, maybe just too much sitting around recovering from Total Reverse Shoulder replacement. 3 months comeJan 10th. 

Also ive not ridden bicycle in 15 years or more.

the handle bars were spun into backwards position, so adjusted back, raised seat and handle bars. Kind of an all terrain bike, and no fenders type.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Good fun.

Practice will make perfect.

Sore knees and shoulders is probably down to  not riding a bike for 15 years.

Though always make sure the saddle and handlebars are adjusted to suit your physique.

Very wet and windy in Wales, so relying on my exercise bike quite a bit at the moment.

Hopefully will have a great cycling year ahead of me.

And hopefully we will be able to keep in touch for another year.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
And hopefully we will be able to keep in touch for another year.

Yeah, if all goes well I hope so also.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Hey Zed, when I was messing with Opera in the Proton VPN, Nortons update converted all of my PDFs to a Nortons thingie. So the icon on is very much like Opera's icon for their browser, so at first I thought it was Proton VPN doing something, now i know it is just Nortons.

However, if i open PDFs now, there in Nortons new security browser, and I cant use the up-down arrow keys to scroll, so I can right click on the icon and have the PDF's open in Firefox, and there i can use up-down arrow keys which are much easier to move shorter disctances than with  mouse.

If you dont use Nortons anti-virus, then sorry to post this to you. For few days I thought my PDFs were all opeing only in Opera.  Not the case.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
I will mention it to Mrs Zed.

I believe that we have Norton security, and she also mentioned the need for a Norton update.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Ok found an image here and it is actually Avasts icon, but very similar to what to Nortons secure browser on my PDFs all have converted too.  Weird
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AVG_Secure_Browser_Icon_%28Similar%29.svg

Here is frequently Asked Questions page for Nortons browser, whose icon { yellow and  red twisted ring } is very much like Opera's { red twisted ring } and that confused me for a few days. I was opening Nortons new secure browser and thought proton VPN had cause Opera to take over my PDF files. nope, it was nortons secure browser.