Transhumanism leading to a post-tribal world

Author: Avery

Total: 116
Avery
Debates: 0
Avery
It's theoretically possible and desirable that the human brain could be redesigned to remove its tribal elements. Perhaps something as simple as removing the more ancient part of the human brain would suffice, maybe by manually recoding human DNA to make the RNA not produce it (or to have it non-functional). Although, it's likely (if possible) going to be rewiring many parts of the brain to ignore or circumvent the tribalistic parts (I'm not sure how integrated tribalism is in the human brain).

This should have drastic implications for politics, given that tribalism basically drives the voting decisions for most people. Ideas should become the leading way that politics is conducted, instead of group self-interest. This would allow for rapid, unified development in technology and critical thought as no time would be lost on race-based politics (and other tribal battles).

I do worry about the free-loader problem (i.e. people not contributing their part to group activity). Tribalism does seem to protect against it. I doubt making humans non-tribal would also make them selfless.

I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this. I'm not a neuro-scientist so I'm not sure how grounded in reality all of this is.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Avery
That's the beauty of theory.

But perhaps the transference of intellectual responsibility to devices (Alternative Intelligence) is more probable and more practical.

Nowhere is it written that the evolution of matter peaks with organic intelligence.

Given what one might conclude are the universal necessities of material evolution, then it's perhaps more likely that the inorganic will be more suited to the task.

Though not suggesting that human intellectual evolution has already reached it's zenith. Species manipulation as you describe, is still in it's infancy.

As far as we know, we are the only existent highly intellectual  organic lifeforms in the Universe and this small planet we are still bound to, has limited resources.

And so, we are driven to acquire knowledge, and things must and will change.

Avery
Avery
-->
@zedvictor4
But perhaps the transference of intellectual responsibility to devices (Alternative Intelligence) is more probable and more practical.
I have two issues with this:

(1) A.I. wouldn't necessarily experience qualia, of which makes life so much more enjoyable. How enjoyable is a life if it's designed to just exist? Doesn't seem worth it.

(2) I'm not sure how you would program sentience into A.I.

Nowhere is it written that the evolution of matter peaks with organic intelligence.
True. I agree.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
It's likely humans will evolve to be symbiotic parasites with AI, much like the bacteria in humans today.
RationalMadman
Debates: 566
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
Thing about robots taking over humans is I admit humans are smarter than the average human but a guy like me can cuck a robot at certain things, since if you understand how to deliver it false information and take advantage of its predictable pattern recognition exploitation, you end up exploiting its exploits.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
From society's experiences with transgenderism (originally another techno-buzzword from the 1980s/1990s), I would suggest that "transhumanism" will simply result in humans who are more dysfunctional and maladjusted than they otherwise would've been. It really takes an impressive person to fundamentally change themselves for the better; most who adopt a superhuman label will just make a fool of themselves.

But as for the distant future, who knows. Perhaps human flaws will be identified as bad code and rewritten with ease. The implications of this are incredibly hard to imagine at present.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Yep.

I see an organic/inorganic hybrid as likely part of the process of intellectual development.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Avery
(1) Why would  qualia be a necessity for an alternative intelligence?

(2) How to program sentience....Download it.
Avery
Avery
-->
@RationalMadman
Thing about robots taking over humans is I admit humans are smarter than the average human but a guy like me can cuck a robot at certain things, since if you understand how to deliver it false information and take advantage of its predictable pattern recognition exploitation, you end up exploiting its exploits.
I think if the future were to go the way of functionally separate "robots", humans could continually patch exploits until they surpass humans. That's what happened with chess A.I.

I don't see exploits being a problem long-term, unless humans become lazy and release A.I. too early before the exploits are ironed-out. Eventually, A.I. may become advanced enough to iron-out its own exploits. 
Avery
Avery
-->
@Swagnarok
From society's experiences with transgenderism (originally another techno-buzzword from the 1980s/1990s), I would suggest that "transhumanism" will simply result in humans who are more dysfunctional and maladjusted than they otherwise would've been. It really takes an impressive person to fundamentally change themselves for the better; most who adopt a superhuman label will just make a fool of themselves.

But as for the distant future, who knows. Perhaps human flaws will be identified as bad code and rewritten with ease. The implications of this are incredibly hard to imagine at present.
I think the fundamental difference with transhumanism is that it could potentially not suffer from the tyranny of the intellect, because the intellect (and all the evolutionary baggage) is being changed.

Transgenderism tried to operate in a vacuum whilst ignoring all of the biologically underpinnings of humans. Merely changing some chemicals and changing your genitals doesn't account for the rest of your body.

With transhumanism, particularly transhumanism that targets re-designing the human brain (or even the whole human genome), you're now targeting a nexus of human biology. You're now accounting for far more variables and not thinking you're above all of the evolutionary baggage. But if transhumanism goes down the route of 'cool gadgets!'-, I agree with your skepticism.
Avery
Avery
-->
@zedvictor4
(1) Why would  qualia be a necessity for an alternative intelligence?
I don't see a purpose to life outside of it, and even then it's a difficult argument to make.

What's the point in existing if everything is unfeeling and mechanical?

(2) How to program sentience....Download it.
What exactly are you downloading (i.e. comprises sentience) and how would you download it?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Avery
1. You are human and a machine/device will be what it is, you will not necessarily have the same emotional requirements.

The point of existence may be greater than an individual human's internal need for a purpose greater than it's necessary purpose.

2. The idea of a direct download of human consciousness from brain to device has been around for quite a while, and I see no reason why this will not be feasible.
RationalMadman
Debates: 566
RationalMadman
-->
@Avery
No, you can always exploit the way that an AI will predictably exploit your way of doing things, if you are paying enough attention.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
Without tribal elements nobody would have any need to help anyone else. So when someone is in hard times, nobody will do anything to help them because they don't see them as a member of any sort of community.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Avery
(1) PROTECT YOURSELF
(2) PROTECT YOUR FAMILY
(3) PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY

your proposal simply removes the second law
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Alternative Intelligence programmed by humans is not really intelligent, but merely a programmed device that can be controlled, predicted and exploited.

Real A.I. is not quite here yet.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Alternative Intelligence programmed by humans is not really intelligent, but merely a programmed device that can be controlled, predicted and exploited.
exactly like a human is merely programmed and controlled, predicted and exploited
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Yep.

I suppose so.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Public-Choice
Without tribal elements nobody would have any need to help anyone else. So when someone is in hard times, nobody will do anything to help them because they don't see them as a member of any sort of community.
Perhaps humans could be algorithmically coded to help people in need. Perhaps a different kind of positive group identity could be coded in humans. 

Tribalism is certainly a double-edged sword. I'd be surprised if nobody could come up with something better.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Avery
It's theoretically possible and desirable that the human brain could be redesigned to remove its tribal elements.
The problem with removing tribal elements from the brain is that empathy is intrinsic to tribalism, so by removing tribalism you would be removing empathy, which would result in a society of psychopaths.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Elliott
The problem with removing tribal elements from the brain is that empathy is intrinsic to tribalism, so by removing tribalism you would be removing empathy, which would result in a society of psychopaths.
I'm not convinced that empathy is intrinsic to tribalism. Otherwise, we'd be totally incapable of feeling empathy for out-group people.

I can agree that empathy is affected by tribalism, but as to what extent? I know it's not 100% or 0%. It's hard to judge when tribalism isn't the easiest genetic trait to test for. So, it might even be possible to shut down/erase multiple neural pathways and still have empathy intact. 
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Avery
I'm not convinced that empathy is intrinsic to tribalism. Otherwise, we'd be totally incapable of feeling empathy for out-group people.

I can agree that empathy is affected by tribalism, but as to what extent? I know it's not 100% or 0%. It's hard to judge when tribalism isn't the easiest genetic trait to test for. So, it might even be possible to shut down/erase multiple neural pathways and still have empathy intact. 
Empathy was central to the evolutionary process that produced tribal societies and that empathy meant we sought to protect each other and share any food, it also enabled cooperation and by working together we could hunt large animals and defend ourselves against predators. Unfortunately it also has a negative side, also driven by our need to survive and that is competition with other tribal groups for resources, which can lead to violence. This negative side still exists, where we feel hostility towards those we perceive to be outside our group, I don’t think I need to provide examples. 

You are right that we have empathy for those outside our group and not just people but also other animals. I think it is largely down to our intelligence, our ability to rationalise that enables us to transcend that negative side and to see that those outside our group are no different to ourselves … doesn’t always work.

Perhaps if we could remove that negative side to tribalism, maybe that would be beneficial but I’m not sure it would. It would probably remove things like nationalism and racism and maybe create a more egalitarian society but by removing that aggression could we become less competitive, complacent and lose some of that force that drives to succeed … I don’t know.

However, I am not in favour of messing with people’s brains, we would be messing with a mechanism we don’t as yet fully understand and attempts to create a more perfect human sets a dangerous precedent, as perfection is a very subjective concept.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Elliott
Empathy was central to the evolutionary process that produced tribal societies and that empathy meant we sought to protect each other and share any food, it also enabled cooperation and by working together we could hunt large animals and defend ourselves against predators. Unfortunately it also has a negative side, also driven by our need to survive and that is competition with other tribal groups for resources, which can lead to violence. This negative side still exists, where we feel hostility towards those we perceive to be outside our group, I don’t think I need to provide examples. 
Yeah I 100% agree.

You are right that we have empathy for those outside our group and not just people but also other animals. I think it is largely down to our intelligence, our ability to rationalise that enables us to transcend that negative side and to see that those outside our group are no different to ourselves … doesn’t always work.
I don't think humans can transcend that negative side. Even if we're aware of it, how do we correct for it? Do we need to smile extra longer at different races of people to compensate? Do we need to date people of different races to make up for it? Do we need to hire different races of people exactly evenly throughout a workforce? 

Even if you transcend that negative side in an instance, will you be able to do it for every instance in your life?

Perhaps if we could remove that negative side to tribalism, maybe that would be beneficial but I’m not sure it would. It would probably remove things like nationalism and racism and maybe create a more egalitarian society but by removing that aggression could we become less competitive, complacent and lose some of that force that drives to succeed … I don’t know.
I think an algorithmic being, who simple does the best course of action, might be a solution to this. So like having a computer-like brain that simply does the required calculations or actions in order to reach a desired outcome. I think moving towards a post-motivation world would render competition, complacency etc. obsolete. They're inefficient and should be replaced.

However, I am not in favour of messing with people’s brains, we would be messing with a mechanism we don’t as yet fully understand and attempts to create a more perfect human sets a dangerous precedent, as perfection is a very subjective concept.
Well okay. It's dangerous. I don't think this should be rushed or hurried. I think we should very clearly define what a more perfect human would look like, and then work towards that. Things such as aggression could easily be done away with (MAOA gene could be deleted).

Working with the brain might require trial-and-error, though. I can't think of a solution for that atm (I don't think it's possible to exactly predict neurological outcomes with rewiring). What we have right now isn't all that good anyway. I think if people took their individuals lives out of the game and looked at human life objectively, it's pretty hard to justify.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Avery
Yeah I 100% agree.

I don't think humans can transcend that negative side. Even if we're aware of it, how do we correct for it? Do we need to smile extra longer at different races of people to compensate? Do we need to date people of different races to make up for it? Do we need to hire different races of people exactly evenly throughout a workforce? 

Even if you transcend that negative side in an instance, will you be able to do it for every instance in your life?

I think an algorithmic being, who simple does the best course of action, might be a solution to this. So like having a computer-like brain that simply does the required calculations or actions in order to reach a desired outcome. I think moving towards a post-motivation world would render competition, complacency etc. obsolete. They're inefficient and should be replaced.

Well okay. It's dangerous. I don't think this should be rushed or hurried. I think we should very clearly define what a more perfect human would look like, and then work towards that. Things such as aggression could easily be done away with (MAOA gene could be deleted).

Working with the brain might require trial-and-error, though. I can't think of a solution for that atm (I don't think it's possible to exactly predict neurological outcomes with rewiring). What we have right now isn't all that good anyway. I think if people took their individuals lives out of the game and looked at human life objectively, it's pretty hard to justify.
Two points, firstly, the negative side and discrimination towards those we perceive to be outside our group. To compensate for this through what is sometimes termed “positive discrimination,” I still see as discrimination.

Secondly, to address your final point and one I see as crucial. You say “I think we should very clearly define what a more perfect human would look like, and then work towards that.” There is a fundamental problem here and it’s a big one, as I said previously “perfection” is subjective. So how do we define perfection and who is the “we” who gets to decide what constitutes perfection. I’m guessing that if you were to ask a large group of people from any walk of life as to what their idea of a perfect human would be you would get varied answers. I personally can’t think on an objective definition and I have been unable to find one, so if perfection cannot be objectively defined then striving for it is impossible.

There is another factor, assuming there is an agreement on what constitutes perfection, then by the fact that it is perfect, it would be applied to everyone, so there would be no individuals and we would become a collective. As to whether that would be considered beneficial or detrimental is subject to opinion, but I do have a feeling that those in power who would be implementing this perfection, would probably prefer to remain imperfect.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Elliott
Two points, firstly, the negative side and discrimination towards those we perceive to be outside our group. To compensate for this through what is sometimes termed “positive discrimination,” I still see as discrimination.
Yeah, I agree. I think we can do better than engaging in identity politics discrimination with transhumanism/posthumanism.

Secondly, to address your final point and one I see as crucial. You say “I think we should very clearly define what a more perfect human would look like, and then work towards that.” There is a fundamental problem here and it’s a big one, as I said previously “perfection” is subjective. So how do we define perfection and who is the “we” who gets to decide what constitutes perfection. I’m guessing that if you were to ask a large group of people from any walk of life as to what their idea of a perfect human would be you would get varied answers. I personally can’t think on an objective definition and I have been unable to find one, so if perfection cannot be objectively defined then striving for it is impossible.
You originally said "more perfect" and I don't think that is subjective to the degree you're mentioning it.

If you asked a big group of people, they will want to be more physically attractive, intelligent and stronger (especially for men). That's really enough to show there is some degree of objectivity for human perfection. But I'm not interested in transhumanism that makes people more of those things because humans will simply adapt to those things and become bored/unsatisfied again.

What trends closer to perfection is a human that isn't burdened with a psychology that is insatiable. THAT is a fence to swing for. Imagine not needing to work, work out, drive through peak hour, deal with tricky conversations etc. in order to grind out some meaning in life? All those pesky, annoying tasks that generate meaning in our lives could be bypassed if that type of meaning were not required, or if a post-human replacement for meaning (something with stronger affect) were genetically hardwired into our genomes, of which could be generated in a more efficient way.

Or how about a human psychology that doesn't adapt to drug usage, and thus you could live in a constant state of bliss, as if you'd taken heroin and cocaine for the first time AND that effect never subsides. Compare that to what we currently have, and there's no doubt in a reasonable mind that a constant state of bliss is superior to what is normal now.

Those seem to be "more perfect" than what we currently have. I think if those were pitched to humans, that would be your "we" deciding to strive towards these goals.

There is another factor, assuming there is an agreement on what constitutes perfection, then by the fact that it is perfect, it would be applied to everyone, so there would be no individuals and we would become a collective. As to whether that would be considered beneficial or detrimental is subject to opinion, but I do have a feeling that those in power who would be implementing this perfection, would probably prefer to remain imperfect.
I think those who fully embrace transhumanism (especially posthumanism) would simply make those "imperfect" obsolete, and thus unable to remain in power. Super smart transhumans with 3500 I.Q. (relative to humans) would be too smart for any human trickery.

It is strange to think about how a posthuman would wield power. We know that humans are easily corrupted by it (although, not all the time), but a posthuman? Or even transhuman? I think that's where some issues may manifest.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Avery
I'm not really bothered by the tribalism I feel,
Though what I 'do feel is usually muted by my preference of myself above the various tribes I could be said to belong to.

Hm, what is tribalism?
"tribalism
  1. behavior, attitudes, etc. that are based on supporting and being loyal to a tribe or other social group

How can one really 'avoid loyalty to one's ideals, one's values?

I suppose it might be increased or decreased,
But to cease altogether, seems a bit much.

. . .

Hm, I see in your post you mention people turning to ideas rather than race,
So you 'specifically mean genetic tribalism I suppose,

I think myself that quite a number of people already think more of ideas and 'personhood, more than genetics,
Not saying I approve or disapprove,
Nor am I saying genetic tribalism does not still exist heartily.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
It's theoretically possible and desirable that the human brain could be redesigned to remove its tribal elements.
bingo
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Avery
You originally said "more perfect" and I don't think that is subjective to the degree you're mentioning it.

If you asked a big group of people, they will want to be more physically attractive, intelligent and stronger (especially for men). That's really enough to show there is some degree of objectivity for human perfection. But I'm not interested in transhumanism that makes people more of those things because humans will simply adapt to those things and become bored/unsatisfied again.
We can strive for perfection within certain circumstances; I can for instance attempt to draw a perfect circle as I know what one is. As to human perfection you mention physical perfection and this may to an extent be identified and improved, say the elimination of physical ailments the alleviation of suffering, this could be considered an aim towards physical perfection. As to what is attractive, this is a more abstract concept, particularly with humans. Sexual attraction should be based on finding a partner who we consider the fittest to carry our genes and for that purpose there may be a few identifiable standards, but when it comes to sexual attraction we can be a very strange beast indeed.

What trends closer to perfection is a human that isn't burdened with a psychology that is insatiable. THAT is a fence to swing for. Imagine not needing to work, work out, drive through peak hour, deal with tricky conversations etc. in order to grind out some meaning in life? All those pesky, annoying tasks that generate meaning in our lives could be bypassed if that type of meaning were not required, or if a post-human replacement for meaning (something with stronger affect) were genetically hardwired into our genomes, of which could be generated in a more efficient way.

Or how about a human psychology that doesn't adapt to drug usage, and thus you could live in a constant state of bliss, as if you'd taken heroin and cocaine for the first time AND that effect never subsides. Compare that to what we currently have, and there's no doubt in a reasonable mind that a constant state of bliss is superior to what is normal now.

Those seem to be "more perfect" than what we currently have. I think if those were pitched to humans, that would be your "we" deciding to strive towards these goals
Regarding your comment:
“Or how about a human psychology that doesn't adapt to drug usage, and thus you could live in a constant state of bliss, as if you'd taken heroin and cocaine for the first time AND that effect never subsides. Compare that to what we currently have, and there's no doubt in a reasonable mind that a constant state of bliss is superior to what is normal now.”

This made me think and from those guidelines I may have identified what could constitute a perfect human, and that would be “one who is completely satisfied with their social environment.” It would of course remove all desire for knowledge, as the need to know is driven by the dissatisfaction of not knowing, but would that really matter.

I think those who fully embrace transhumanism (especially posthumanism) would simply make those "imperfect" obsolete, and thus unable to remain in power. Super smart transhumans with 3500 I.Q. (relative to humans) would be too smart for any human trickery.

It is strange to think about how a posthuman would wield power. We know that humans are easily corrupted by it (although, not all the time), but a posthuman? Or even transhuman? I think that's where some issues may manifest.
If you are going to implement transhumanism you need to have an identifiable objective and you mention obtaining a high IQ as a possible objective, the problem with IQ, is that doesn’t measure rationality.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Lemming
I'm not really bothered by the tribalism I feel,
Though what I 'do feel is usually muted by my preference of myself above the various tribes I could be said to belong to.
If this is true (it definitely could be), the issues are that (1) most other people are not above tribalism, and (2) it's really hard to act in a totally "muted" way. 

So, when it comes to voting, your ideals are getting taken to the cleaners by tribalistic people. Most people are going to vote based on race, as dumb as that is, and anyone who doesn't is just going to lose macrosocietally. 

You're also probably going to feel the odd twinge of tribalism that coerces you into non-muted behavior. Subconscious biases sometimes take hold without us even knowing.

It's just not a winning strategy overall. 

How can one really 'avoid loyalty to one's ideals, one's values?

I suppose it might be increased or decreased,
But to cease altogether, seems a bit much.
If you're tribal, it's pretty easy. There's even data that shows people, who strongly believe in something politically, vote based on racial lines.

The tribalistic pull is that strong.

Hm, I see in your post you mention people turning to ideas rather than race,
So you 'specifically mean genetic tribalism I suppose,
Yeah I do mean that specific tribalism.

I would like for people to eventually to turn to ideas over race, but I don't think are genetically capable of doing that. Humans have historically tried to think about the tribalistic urges, but it's never worked and won't ever work. Something fundamental has to change with humans.

I think myself that quite a number of people already think more of ideas and 'personhood, more than genetics,
Not saying I approve or disapprove,
Nor am I saying genetic tribalism does not still exist heartily.
Quite a number do but they're swamped by those who don't. Happy to provide statistics and data, if needed.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Elliott
We can strive for perfection within certain circumstances; I can for instance attempt to draw a perfect circle as I know what one is. As to human perfection you mention physical perfection and this may to an extent be identified and improved, say the elimination of physical ailments the alleviation of suffering, this could be considered an aim towards physical perfection. As to what is attractive, this is a more abstract concept, particularly with humans. Sexual attraction should be based on finding a partner who we consider the fittest to carry our genes and for that purpose there may be a few identifiable standards, but when it comes to sexual attraction we can be a very strange beast indeed.
Look I know I kinda started this part of the discussion (on physical, external transhumanism -- bigger muscles, faster, smarter etc.) but it's largely a waste of time. It's the neurology that's the biggest issue with humans. Even if objectively better standards are met with physical human development, humans are still going to want more. It would be better if humans were not afflicted with this insatiable desire.

Regarding your comment:
“Or how about a human psychology that doesn't adapt to drug usage, and thus you could live in a constant state of bliss, as if you'd taken heroin and cocaine for the first time AND that effect never subsides. Compare that to what we currently have, and there's no doubt in a reasonable mind that a constant state of bliss is superior to what is normal now.”

This made me think and from those guidelines I may have identified what could constitute a perfect human, and that would be “one who is completely satisfied with their social environment.” It would of course remove all desire for knowledge, as the need to know is driven by the dissatisfaction of not knowing, but would that really matter.
Does knowledge make people happy? Not necessarily.

Does bliss make people happy? Yes.

The "drive" is a means to an end. The "knowledge" is a means to an end. It's really the positive affect that matters at the end of the day.

Besides, you could have knowledge acquisition methods programmed into a transhuman/posthuman, so that they automatically do knowledge acquisition without the pain of desiring it. There might be other, better methods of acquiring information that haven't been thought of yet, too.

If you are going to implement transhumanism you need to have an identifiable objective and you mention obtaining a high IQ as a possible objective, the problem with IQ, is that doesn’t measure rationality.
I think ridding humans of universally negative experiences is a clear enough objective, and is probably the easier one to start with (it's more grounded in reality).

IQ is a measure of potential for rationality. It's a proxy for 'g' (intelligence) and it's a damn good one.