How to debate time efficiently?

Author: Lair77

Total: 11
Lair77
Debates: 4
Lair77
Online debating has been a hobby of mine for 15 years.  I come back to it and take a break from it.  It seems like a major pain point is how long it takes me to write arguments.

I could easily spend a half hour reading and digesting my opponent's argument, and thinking of counterarguments.  45 minutes writing.  And then another 45 minutes proofreading.  And that's easily 2 hours spent.  On a piece of writing, that looks like it should've been written in 20 minutes.

And probably could've been written in 20 minutes if that word count were applied to any other type of writing (essay, blog, poem, short story, etc).  Am I the only one that has this issue?  Tips for improving at this?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lair77
The reason why I don't debate here.

Far too time consuming to research and do a proper job.

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Lair77
Same for me. Some people are much more precise thinkers and can concisely (and efficiently) write a refutation/argument. I tend to mull over my responses and hone them until I am satisfied. Hopefully you get an answer we can both benefit from!
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Lair77

I could easily spend a half hour reading and digesting my opponent's argument, and thinking of counterarguments.  45 minutes writing.  And then another 45 minutes proofreading.  And that's easily 2 hours spent
I don't know that you are actually doing a good job addressing your opponent's arguments if that is all the time you take to understand them. It doesn't give you much time to read their sources, get a library book and do scholarly analysis on  the arguments they present, so your own research on the best criticisms of those points etc. It should take about 8 of research to respond to an argument and then 3 hours to write a response
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Lair77
You don't say

• how long an argument you are writing in 45 min
  • why you need as long to proofread as to compose- that seems off
Stephen King writes about 10kc/2000 words per day and he takes 8-10 hrs to write it.  King is considered one of the most productive writers in the history of English. By comparison, Joyce averaged 90 words per day and Hemmingway 500.  If you are indeed writing 10kc arguments in 45 minutes I would advise there is not much room for improvement.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Lair77
I will give tips on how to handle as many debates as I do, if you agree to be my student.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
I will give tips on how to handle as many debates as I do, if you agree to be my student.
Be honest. It's called having rich parents and a Trust fund. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@oromagi
Stephen King writes about 10kc/2000 words per day and he takes 8-10 hrs to write it.
I have reason to believe he uses his wife and son as ghost writers for half his shit. 
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
i probably spend about 10 minutes reading my opponents argument and about 30 making my own. I rarely proofread and when i do i do it super sloppily. Sometimes ill see if i can dissect my discussion partners position more thoroughly, then ill take 15-20 minutes to give them a fleshed out response, but that's very rare.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Whatever you want to believe is irrelevant to me.

Obviously, if you have more spare time that is a raw advantage, which is the point you are trying to make. I guarantee you that for the same time and same effort, I am able to handle 30% more debates, minimum, than other users.

It is to do with an approach I take to the debating and how I strategise it all, Round by Round.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
, I am able to handle 30% more debates, minimum, than other users.
You know what.

I actually believe you. There is nothing to argue about here. Not all of it is due to the amount of free time you have, if limited to the amount of free time I have, you would still destroy me as far as how much raw output you can accomplish.