Restaurants are overrated?

Author: Lair77

Total: 13
Lair77
Debates: 4
Lair77
Subjective of course.  But I'll make my case:
  1. Eating at home saves money.  If someone is looking to save up money for traveling, buying a car/house, emergency fund, or whatever it is, eating out less is often the easiest fix.
  2. Eating at a restaurant does not necessarily save time.  You save time from prepping and cooking.  But you lose time from the commute there, the commute back, waiting for the food, waiting for the check, and sometimes even waiting for a seat.
  3. Eating at home allows you to track macros and calories accurately.  While popular chains have info posted, most restaurants in general don't.  With how commonplace the use of butter and oil is in kitchens, it's very easy to underestimate calories when eyeballing.   If your fitness and body composition are priority, dining at a restaurant should be limited.
  4. Lastly, it depends on what food you order.  Many restaurants have foods that do use uncommon or "high-end" ingredients and/or require a lot of skill to prepare.  But many entrees on menus are also things that are cheap to make, easy to make and use common ingredients.  It doesn't make sense to go to a restaurant just to order things you could make yourself at home.
  5. At home, you can control the temperature, lighting, music that's playing, what's on television.  And there are no screaming kids.

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
For very introverted people on a low budget that are willing to cook good food for themselves, yes.

For most other types of people, not really.

It comes down to you and what kind of pleasure with food you seek.
Elliott
Debates: 0
Elliott
Something I really enjoy, eating out. Make an evening of it, being waited on, good company, good food and decent wine, particularly decent wine. I like the whole ambience and we have a few chosen places we repeatedly visit, mostly pubs rather than restaurants.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
If I had more time and money, I think I'd eat at restaurants more,
Nice places, views, different foods,
But current time, I prefer lazing about at home,
And don't have such an excess of money yet in life,
Though not all restaurants are expensive, I'd suppose.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Lair77
And there are no screaming kids
He's with me whether i go to a restaurant or not

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Lemming
You will never have excess money. You will choose to have this or that.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@sadolite
Fair point,
Money always going somewhere, even if savings.

My income and savings then, are not yet to an extent where I want to add regular dining at restaurants,
And I don't want to trade any of my current expenses for restaurants either.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Lair77
Subjective of course.  But I'll make my case:
  1. Eating at home saves money.  If someone is looking to save up money for traveling, buying a car/house, emergency fund, or whatever it is, eating out less is often the easiest fix.
  2. Eating at a restaurant does not necessarily save time.  You save time from prepping and cooking.  But you lose time from the commute there, the commute back, waiting for the food, waiting for the check, and sometimes even waiting for a seat.
  3. Eating at home allows you to track macros and calories accurately.  While popular chains have info posted, most restaurants in general don't.  With how commonplace the use of butter and oil is in kitchens, it's very easy to underestimate calories when eyeballing.   If your fitness and body composition are priority, dining at a restaurant should be limited.
  4. Lastly, it depends on what food you order.  Many restaurants have foods that do use uncommon or "high-end" ingredients and/or require a lot of skill to prepare.  But many entrees on menus are also things that are cheap to make, easy to make and use common ingredients.  It doesn't make sense to go to a restaurant just to order things you could make yourself at home.
  5. At home, you can control the temperature, lighting, music that's playing, what's on television.  And there are no screaming kids.
Those are not top of the list for people who enjoy going to restaurants.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Lemming
But anyway. I go to restaurants when I  don't have any food in the house. I'll eat, then go food shopping.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@sadolite
To shop on a full stomach, or just to get rid of the hunger, sooner rather than later?
Shila
Shila
-->
@Lemming
--> @sadolite
To shop on a full stomach, or just to get rid of the hunger, sooner rather than later?
Can you rephrase your post. It does not make any sense.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Shila
When sadolite is out of food in the house, then goes to a restaurant, 'then goes to the store,
Is this so that he doesn't buy unnecessary food, as people sometimes do when hungry,
Or simply because he wants his hunger sated sooner, rather than later?
Shila
Shila
-->
@Lemming
--> @Shila
When sadolite is out of food in the house, then goes to a restaurant, 'then goes to the store,
Is this so that he doesn't buy unnecessary food, as people sometimes do when hungry,
Or simply because he wants his hunger sated sooner, rather than later?
He goes to the restaurant first if he is hungry because the food is ready to be served whereas if he goes to the grocery store he still has to cook the vegetables and meat be bought.

But the grocery  is good for the rest of the week.