Author: oromagi

Total: 115
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
PELTOLA BEATS PALIN
By BECKY BOHRER
September 1, 2022

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Democrat Mary Peltola won the special election for Alaska’s only U.S. House seat on Wednesday, besting a field that included Republican Sarah Palin, who was seeking a political comeback in the state where she was once governor.

Peltola, who is Yup’ik and turned 49 on Wednesday, will become the first Alaska Native to serve in the House and the first woman to hold the seat. She will serve the remaining months of the late Republican U.S. Rep. Don Young’s term. Young held the seat for 49 years before his death in March.

“I don’t think there will be another birthday like today,” Peltola said.

“Really I’m just so grateful to Alaskans and all the Alaskans who put their faith in me to fill out the remainder of Congressman Young’s term,” she said in an interview. “My desire is to follow in Congressman Young’s legacy of representing all Alaskans, and I’m just looking forward to getting to work.”

Peltola’s victory, in Alaska’s first statewide ranked choice voting election, is a boon for Democrats, particularly coming off better-than-expected performances in special elections around the country this year following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade. She will be the first Democrat to hold the seat since the late U.S. Rep. Nick Begich, who was seeking reelection in 1972 when his plane disappeared. Begich was later declared dead and Young in 1973 was elected to the seat.

Peltola ran as a coalition builder while her two Republican opponents — Palin and Begich’s grandson, also named Nick Begich — at times went after each other. Palin also railed against the ranked voting system, which was instituted by Alaska voters.
All three - Peltola, Palin and Begich - are candidates in the November general election, seeking a two-year term that would start in January.
The results came 15 days after the Aug. 16 election, in line with the deadline for state elections officials to receive absentee ballots mailed from outside the U.S. Ranked choice tabulations took place Wednesday after no candidate won more than 50% of the first choice votes, with state elections officials livestreaming the event. Peltola was in the lead heading into the tabulations, followed by Palin and then Begich.

State elections officials plan to certify the election by Friday.
Alaska Democratic Party leaders cheered Peltola’s win.

“Alaskans have made clear they want a rational, steadfast, honest and caring voice speaking for them in Washington D.C., not opportunists and extremists associated with the Alaska Republican Party,” state Democratic party chair Michael Wenstrup said in a statement.

Wednesday’s results were a disappointment for Palin, who was looking to make a political comeback 14 years after she was vaulted onto the national stage when John McCain selected her to be his running mate in the 2008 presidential election. In her run for the House seat, she had widespread name recognition and won the endorsement of former President Donald Trump.

After Peltola’s victory was announced, Palin called the ranked voting system “crazy, convoluted, confusing.”

“Though we’re disappointed in this outcome, Alaskans know I’m the last one who’ll ever retreat,” Palin said in a statement.

Begich in a statement congratulated Peltola while looking forward to the November election.

During the campaign, critics questioned Palin’s commitment to Alaska, citing her decision to resign as governor in July 2009, partway through her term. Palin went on to become a conservative commentator on TV and appeared in reality television programs, among other pursuits.

Palin has insisted her commitment to Alaska never wavered and said ahead of the special election that she had “signed up for the long haul.”

Peltola, a former state lawmaker who most recently worked for a commission whose goal is to rebuild salmon resources on the Kuskokwim River, cast herself as a “regular” Alaskan. “I’m not a millionaire. I’m not an international celebrity,” she said.

Peltola has said she was hopeful that the new system would allow more moderate candidates to be elected.

During the campaign, she emphasized her support of abortion rights and said she wanted to elevate issues of ocean productivity and food security. Peltola said she got a boost after the June special primary when she won endorsements from Democrats and independents who had been in the race. She said she believed her positive messaging also resonated with voters.

“It’s been very attractive to a lot of people to have a message of working together and positivity and holding each other up and unity and as Americans none of us are each other’s enemy,” she said. “That is just a message that people really need to hear right now.”

Alaska voters in 2020 approved an elections process that replaced party primaries with open primaries. Under the new system, ranked voting is used in general elections.

Under ranked voting, ballots are counted in rounds. A candidate can win outright with more than 50% of the vote in the first round. If no one hits that threshold, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated. Voters who chose that candidate as their top pick have their votes count for their next choice. Rounds continue until two candidates remain, and whoever has the most votes wins.

In Alaska, voters last backed a Democrat for president in 1964. The number of registered voters who are unaffiliated with a party is greater than the number of registered Republicans or Democrats combined, according to statistics from the Division of Elections.

The last Democratic member of Alaska’s congressional delegation was Mark Begich, Nick Begich’s uncle, who served one term in the U.S. Senate and lost his 2014 reelection bid.

Alaska’s U.S. senators, Republicans Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan, congratulated Peltola.

Murkowski said Peltola “has a long track record of public service to our great state.” Murkowski and Peltola were in the state Legislature together.

ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
Ranked choice voting. Peltola's campaign workers made it happen. As usual democrats change rules at the last minute to get power.

The electorate will adapt, this might actually let a libertarian in once people understand the trick.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Pretty sure this will be a short term mistake for Alaska until the real elections. How much mayhem can a Democrat do in a few months?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
Don't tempt fate. It's easier to destroy than to build.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
As usual democrats change rules at the last minute to get power
What rule change?  What Democrats are you scapegoating?  Republicans control the Governorship, the are a majority in the Senate and the House. 

Explain your accusation.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
As usual democrats change rules at the last minute to get power
You got to wonder how those NOT in power have the power to change rules to get power...
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@oromagi
He's talking about the voter approved switch to rank choice voting. You know, the ones ALASKANS VOTED FOR. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@SkepticalOne
@oromagi
@ludofl3x
oromagi: Explain your accusation.
It was all in my post really, campaign staffers for Peltola 'quit' their positions with her to organize the petition for ranked choice voting; knowing full well that they could split the republican vote with the never-paliners and get Peltola in office.

It's not an inherently unfair voting system, but the reason Peltola's campaign pushed it is because they knew that they were going to effectively spread the new strategy while the Palin supporters were not going to be informed of how to use the options tactically.

SkepticalOne: You got to wonder how those NOT in power have the power to change rules to get power...
See next post, also just because someone with an "R" or "~" next to their name in a voter role caves to a democrat demand doesn't mean it wasn't a democrat demand.

ludofl3x: He's talking about the voter approved switch to rank choice voting. You know, the ones ALASKANS VOTED FOR. 
If left-tribers can claim that voter ID is voter suppression because somewhere is a hypothetical minority who doesn't have the IQ to find the DMV I can much more reasonably claim that ballot propositions which change voting rules are voter suppression.

1.) Many people don't show up to interim elections where such things are often decided.
2.) Many more people don't have the time or patience to read and understand propositions and will vote yes or abstain without good cause

So the accurate way to describe "ALASKANS VOTED FOR" would be "Some Alaskans voted for" almost certainly not a quorum.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
If left-tribers can claim that voter ID is voter suppression because somewhere is a hypothetical minority who doesn't have the IQ to find the DMV I can much more reasonably claim that ballot propositions which change voting rules are voter suppression.
  • Republicans change voting rules far more often than Democrats.  Also, whataboutism, apples and oranges,  and false.  
1.) Many people don't show up to interim elections where such things are often decided.
  • But ranked choice voting was decided in the 2020 General, the same ballots and overwhelmingly Republican majority that voted for Trump +10
    • You linked to the 2020 ballot yourself.
    • Why are you lying about this?
2.) Many more people don't have the time or patience to read and understand propositions and will vote yes or abstain without good cause
  • So if you think the electorate is stupid you just blame Democrats? 
So the accurate way to describe "ALASKANS VOTED FOR" would be "Some Alaskans voted for" almost certainly not a quorum.
  • That would be an unacceptably biased way of describing the highest voter turnout is Alaska's history both by percentage and raw numbers.  
  • The measure passed with 174,000 votes in a state where there are only 77,000 Democrats.  Significantly more Independents and Republicans voted for this measure than Democrats.
  • Your scapegoating Democrats here is ample enough proof that you are not a reliable interpreter of democratic processes in America.
    • But I guess we knew that already.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Republicans change voting rules far more often than Democrats.
I wonder about that. At least this time it wasn't bordering on illegal.

whataboutism
...cannot apply when inequity is the issue.

apples and oranges
...are both fruit.

and false
Make an argument.

• But ranked choice voting was decided in the 2020 General, the same ballots and overwhelmingly Republican majority that voted for Trump +10
    • You linked to the 2020 ballot yourself.
    • Why are you lying about this?
Why in the world would you put a list with a sub-list, unnumbered; instead of a tiny paragraph? Anyway I didn't lie, it was a general statement that happened to not be true in this case. The ballot link was a post script.

So if you think the electorate is stupid you just blame Democrats? 
Yea that's the main point of comparison with voter ID = suppression claim.

I don't really think the electorate is stupid (or no more stupid than average ;)), but in order to honestly discard their expressed opinion I would have to. Just like a democrat has to consider those minorities stupid to honestly consider them incapable of proving their identity.

The nasty truth is that some people are stupid, more are uninterested/lazy and when the margins are tight those stupid people can be manipulated to win an election.

That's why democrats love mail in voting (even when they aren't illegally ballot harvesting i.e. cheating), it lets more lazy people vote and democrats can easily tackle high population densities (like deep blue cities) with a ground game. If those people had to get out of their pajamas they would shut the door and watch TV instead.

That would be an unacceptably biased way of describing the highest voter turnout is Alaska's history both by percentage and raw numbers.  
Since the French Revolution any discerning student of democracy must admit that anything less than a popular majority should not be able to change core mechanics of the system... say for example waiting for your opposition to leave the chamber and then voting that they are traitors and no longer part of the assembly.

24% is not a popular majority.

The measure passed with 174,000 votes in a state where there are only 77,000 Democrats.  Significantly more Independents and Republicans voted for this measure than Democrats.
Yet the push came from a democrat campaign and it resulted in that democrat winning. Why would these independents and republicans vote for that? Simple, they didn't know either of those facts.

You know it barely passed, what does that mean? That there are 174k *2 - 77K republicans and independents? Yes. It's well known that independents orbit parties without committing to them (meaning they almost always vote for them, they just don't want to be called X). I truly utterly do not care

Your scapegoating Democrats here
Yet the push came from a democrat campaign. That is what makes me blame democrats. Libertarians love ranked choice voting because it means they might get in. I like ranked choice voting for that reason. If it came from libertarians I would not blame democrats. I blame democrats because democrats did it, and accompanied it with a targeted campaign which relied on ignorance of the new dynamics to get a democrat in. Luckily there will soon be a "do over"

is ample enough proof that you are not a reliable interpreter of democratic processes in America.
Who is poisoning the well now?

But I guess we knew that already.
Better watch that schizophrenia, you are in fact only one person.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
lame.

What is the 24% number supposed to represent?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
174,032/733,391

#voted for prop 2 / state census

Please spare me nitpicking such as "well that includes children"
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
does that include children?   Why would you include children?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
does that include children?
Yes

Why would you include children?
because I was ball-parking and didn't want to waste unnecessary time. Now I have and look it's still not a majority:

174,032 / 553,710 = 0.3143 = 31%
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
So even though we've established that this ballot measure rec'd record popular support, you'd argue it is illegitimate because that popular support represents only 24% of population?

Trump won the state with 25.9%
189,951/733,391

Should we toss out that result as well?

• By your line of reasoning there has never be a legitimate statewide election in Alaska.  
  • If you really want to hold out for true majority participation,  Republicans always lose.
  • The problem with voting in Alaska in November is that the distances are very long and the temperatures are fatally cold
    • Do you support mail-in ballots in Alaska?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
3RU7AL should be defending ranked choice voting here....
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
So even though we've established that this ballot measure rec'd record popular support, you'd argue it is illegitimate because that popular support represents only 24% of population?
I didn't say it was illegitimate, I said the support for it did not represent a quorum. It may well be constitutional in Alaska but it's a bad idea to let less than the majority make decisions that could disenfranchise the majority. See below:

Trump won the state with 25.9%
189,951/733,391

Should we toss out that result as well?
No, but what if those 189,951 had decided that Alaska would from that point on be reorganized into the first Alaskan Empire (with Palin as empress and Trump as godhead)?

A majority of the voters may well make momentous decisions (like sending electors for Trump) but they should not be able to choose to do anything that would prevent a full assembly (of the electorate). It is disingenuous to present the vote on prop 2 as "a majority deciding how it will vote in the future", it was a minority deciding how a majority may vote.

If you really want to hold out for true majority participation,  Republicans always lose.
because it takes someone who is paying attention to vote republican, not the low information voters who couldn't care less.

Do you support mail-in ballots in Alaska?
Not when a biometric blockchain and early voting is an option.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I didn't say it was illegitimate
  • Huh?  The thesis you are defending is "As usual democrats change rules at the last minute to get power"
    • You are clearly stating that Peltola's election is unfair
      • We've established that "democrats" is bullshit
      • We've established that "last minute" is bullshit
      • We've establihed that "as usual " is bullshit
No, but what if those 189,951 had decided that Alaska would from that point on be reorganized into the first Alaskan Empire (with Palin as empress and Trump as godhead)?

The STRAW MAN fallacy occurs in the following pattern of argument:

1. Person 1 asserts proposition X.
  2. Person 2 argues against a superficially similar proposition Y, falsely, as if an argument against Y were an argument against X.
For example:
  • Exaggerating (sometimes grossly) an opponent's argument, then attacking this exaggerated version.
  • I am quite confident any ballot measure rejecting democracy and the US constitution wholesale would fail judicial review
because it takes someone who is paying attention to vote republican, not the low information voters who couldn't care less.
  • I will match the comprehension of the Party of QAnon against any other party in any democracy o the world for least informed/most disinformed.
Not when...
  • But then you'll gripe about turnout.  You create the problem you whine about.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Lol @ people defending Democracy only when they personally benefit. Otherwise it sucks.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Ranked choice voting. Peltola's campaign workers made it happen. As usual democrats change rules at the last minute to get power.

The electorate will adapt, this might actually let a libertarian in once people understand the trick.
RCV IS DEMONSTRABLY SUPERIOR
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
3RU7AL should be defending ranked choice voting here....
thanks for the heads-up
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
please explain
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
the first Alaska Native
nice
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that relative ignorance of the dynamics in this case was intentional and led to a result the majority of the voters do not approve of.

I don't say it should be repealed, I'm just saying it was a trick and the democrat candidate knew it was the best/only way for a minority politician to "win".

In more concrete terms, if the voters don't know how to use RCV it is simply a way to split the opposition vote. I think it's safe to say they've learned to pay attention now.

please explain
Well you were in the thread where I expounded upon it. Everything I described is possible now. It would of course require a small part of the stolen money to be routed to an actual software/hardware engineering team instead of money launderers but it is possible.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
Huh?  The thesis you are defending is "As usual democrats change rules at the last minute to get power"

You are clearly stating that Peltola's election is unfair
Unfair and illegitimate aren't the same thing. If a county passes a law making it illegal to harvest corn without a "I love Jesus" bumper sticker on your tractor and informs only a handful of people (who happen to be campaign donors) that's unfair, but if the law follows the founding documents of the county it is not illegitimate.

We've established that "democrats" is bullshit
Nope

We've established that "last minute" is bullshit
Perhaps, but public awareness of the danger did spike right before the election. The ballot measure was said to be too long to read in a reasonable amount of time and it is likely many who voted for it did not realize the importance of the elimination of primaries.

The "last minute" was the last minute campaign to inform only the people who were willing put a democrat above Palin in their ranking.

We've establihed that "as usual " is bullshit
Definitely not

The STRAW MAN fallacy occurs in the following pattern of argument:
Did it occur to you that the hyperbolic nature of the thought experiment was chosen to make it clearly visible as a thought experiment and not a description of your position?

I will match the comprehension of the Party of QAnon against any other party in any democracy o the world for least informed/most disinformed.
Unfortunately evaluating that matchup would require agreement on information :)

Not when...
But then you'll gripe about turnout.  You create the problem you whine about.
Anyone who can carry mail can carry a memory card. If the turnout is consistently lower with a biometric blockchain than mail in the only conclusion is that the difference in ballot count are fraudulent.

Shila
Shila
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
--> @3RU7AL
That may be, but it doesn't change the fact that relative ignorance of the dynamics in this case was intentional and led to a result the majority of the voters do not approve of.

I don't say it should be repealed, I'm just saying it was a trick and the democrat candidate knew it was the best/only way for a minority politician to "win".

In more concrete terms, if the voters don't know how to use RCV it is simply a way to split the opposition vote. I think it's safe to say they've learned to pay attention now.

please explain
Well you were in the thread where I expounded upon it. Everything I described is possible now. It would of course require a small part of the stolen money to be routed to an actual software/hardware engineering team instead of money launderers but it is possible.
How can an election be certified if the election rules keep changing?

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Shila
I can't really parse that question.

Election rules should not be changed mid-election, and that did not happen in the Alaska case, nor need it happen for blockchain voting. It did happen in many states in 2020 via the ultimately illegal tactic of friendly lawsuits and pure fiat.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
In more concrete terms, if the voters don't know how to use RCV it is simply a way to split the opposition vote.
"rank the candidates in the order you would like to see them elected"

"number 1 is your first choice"

"number 2 is your second choice"

"do you understand this ?"
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty

Yes I understand this, but what I believe many did not understand was that if they only put a number 1 choice they were splitting the vote. Or perhaps they were so confident in their first choice that they did not think they needed another.

It's not that people are stupid (some are) but many devote about 20 minutes per year really thinking about politics and 1 minute of that considering the intricacies of strategy.

That's why people plaster candidates names everywhere, do you think an informed rational person who has really thought about it is swayed by the enormity of someone's proper name?

I despise people who tell others to "get out and vote, doesn't matter who you vote for", SCREW THAT; if you aren't concerned enough to vote without being told and being bribed with praise you probably are going to make a poor decision. The choices people make on low information are not evenly distributed, they tend towards being manipulated by deceptive propaganda tactics and thus they tend to vote democrat.

I've worked as an election judge and confirmed this first hand. I've had to explain to multiple people that primaries and general elections are different things when they try to vote in primaries without registering with the party.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I am sure a lot of voters left the number 2 and 3 choice blank because they didn't understand how it works. (33%)

Hard lesson for the voters, but now they know to pick 2 and 3, or their vote may not count.