Reparations for English from Africa.

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 6
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot

English academic schools Don Lemon on who really owes England for the lost lives stopping slavery.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
England is a demarcated area of land within the collective known as the British Isles.

Africa is continental region of Planet Earth.

And is this just another thread relative to perceivable differences relative to long since historical events.

Hey, but if reparations are involved then let's milk it for all it's worth.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
Africa is extremely massive. England only owned South Africa. And even then, both sides have committed genocides on each other that reparations at this point would be one big circular hand off. The english would give it to the South Africans and then the South Africans would give it right back.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
England only owned South Africa. 
Nothing could be further from the truth. The Dutch had primary domain over SA, hence why Afrikaans is what the white people speak there rather than standard English of any kind as their primary language.

The British owned all these nations:
  • East & North Africa
    British territories in East Africa before 1914 included British East Africa (now Kenya, 1886) and Uganda (1895). The Empire also had partial control of British Somaliland (now northern Somalia, 1884), Zanzibar (protectorate, 1890), Sudan (1889), and influence within Egypt stemming from the Suez Canal.
  • Southern Africa
    British colonies in South Africa were merged and/or divided numerous times. Modern countries that were once in the British Empire include: South Africa, Botswana, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Lesotho.
  • West Africa
    Britain's colonies in West Africa included Nigeria (1884), Gold Coast (now Ghana, 1874), Sierra Leone (1808), and Gambia (1888).

Their 'dominion' in South Africa was nowhere near total and the Dutch owned it the most and had the most impact.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
Ty for setting the record straight. the UK gets a really bad rap instead of due credit.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
Ah. Thanks for the sources and the history lesson. I have to admit I only learned about Russian ownership of Africa in history class. So I was going based off what South Africans told me. The gross majority of them speak british english so I just figured Great Britsin always owned South Africa.

I'll have to check that stuff out.