Alex Jones, truth teller to the GOP, must pay 1 billion to families of Sandy Hook victims

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 41
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Wow, if you’re not President of the United States (Trump) lying can cost you a lot of money.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
That is so great, what is disgusting is that he has that kind of money from being a whackjob lunatic, sad comentary on our society.
Shila
Shila
Too bad Trump wasn’t  there to pardon him.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Would you really have been happy if the 1st pardon ever for a civil infraction happened?

Mashing X for doubt.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Would you really have been happy if the 1st pardon ever for a civil infraction happened?

Mashing X for doubt.
With a billion dollar fine a pardon is justified.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
An Asian person would comprehend the comment. A chat bot would not. But thanks for yet another non-sequitur.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
An Asian person would comprehend the comment. A chat bot would not. But thanks for yet another non-sequitur.
A pardon would stop Alex Jones from committing more serious crimes against the Sandy Hook families.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Another nonsense non-sequitur. Keep them rolling Xi xin ping.
Shila
Shila
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Wow, if you’re not President of the United States (Trump) lying can cost you a lot of money.
If the judge knows you don’t have money the fines could be lower. Why Trump gets away is simply because he claims a bankruptcy every time.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Limp Bizkit say keep rollin, mandarin style.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Sidewalker
That is so great, what is disgusting is that he has that kind of money from being a whackjob lunatic, sad comentary on our society.
Trump is being investigated for being more than just a lunatic. 

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
This is a joke of a ruling, and Alex Jones can rest certain that it'll be overturned or whittled down to less than 1/10th its current size upon appeal.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
This is a joke of a ruling,
What kind of scumbag thinks Alex Jones doesn’t deserve to be financially ruined for calling the murder of 20 children a hoax? 

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
He could say "Praise Hitler, eating babies and worshiping Satan is good" for all I care. A U.S. citizen being slapped with a physically-impossible-to-ever-pay-back bill by the government for merely having uttered controversial speech is non-hyperbolic tyranny.

Tyranny. I mean that with all sincerity. It's extremely hard to describe as being legitimate a government that would do such a thing to an American citizen for having exercised his 1st Amendment rights.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Swagnarok
This is a joke of a ruling, and Alex Jones can rest certain that it'll be overturned or whittled down to less than 1/10th its current size upon appeal.
George Floyd’s family got 27million for his death. Alex Jones is fined almost a billion for someone else’s killing spree. Even Alex would wish the victims were black.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Swagnarok
An economist who testified for the families (aka someone who is favorable to their position) estimated his net worth was between $135m-$270m.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Shila
Alex Jones is fined almost a billion for someone else’s killing spree.
He was found guilty of defamation, defamation that he used to make money. He was not fined for someone else’s killing spree.

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@bmdrocks21
Sure.

Let's go with the high figure. Assume he forks over every penny in net worth he's got. Money that he's presumably taken the last 20+ years to accumulate.
Then he has to go earn it again to make another payment. Which, given that he's probably plateaued in popularity some time ago, and given the stigma now attached to him among the oligarchs who control the platforms he might've taken advantage of, is unlikely to put it mildly. But assuming that, by the time he's finally an old man ready to retire, he's somehow done that, it won't be enough.

He is by now an old man, but he'll have to go and do it again. Now we both know he won't do it again. But if, by some miracle about likely as Disney princesses magically stepping out of TV screens and becoming real people, Alex Jones manages to do it a third time before he dies, IT STILL WILL NOT BE ENOUGH. He'd still be $155 million short.

It is, by all sensible definitions, a bill that's physically impossible for Alex Jones to pay back.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
He could say "Praise Hitler, eating babies and worshiping Satan is good" for all I care. A U.S. citizen being slapped with a physically-impossible-to-ever-pay-back bill by the government for merely having uttered controversial speech is non-hyperbolic tyranny
Well that’s because you are a deplorable person. The government chose the fine, or a jury of U.S. citizens? Controversial speech? Saying your parents are failures for raising such a deplorable person is controversial speech. What Jones did was defamation.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
Tyranny. I mean that with all sincerity. It's extremely hard to describe as being legitimate a government that would do such a thing to an American citizen for having exercised his 1st Amendment rights.
That’s because you’re an idiot. This was a jury award you dummy, not the government. You remember juries, they are mentioned in the Constitution.

Defamation is not a 1st Amendment right you idiot.

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Well that’s because you are a deplorable person.
The more I hear that comes out of your mouth (metaphorically speaking), the less I seem to care what you think a deplorable person looks like. You don't strike me as a particularly credible or intelligent person.

The government chose the fine, or a jury of U.S. citizens?
Doesn't matter in the slightest. This jury had no power except that given to it by the government. Its verdict would mean nothing if not enforced by the government.

Controversial speech? Saying your parents are failures for raising such a deplorable person is controversial speech. What Jones did was defamation.
He alleged that a mass shooting was a hoax. He didn't encourage violence or mistreatment of anyone to my knowledge, no matter what some of his followers might've considered the rightful implications of this claim to be. The actions of said hypothetical third parties are strictly their own.
If you call this defamation, or if you think that this "defamation" entitles the government to impose a penalty that'll unconditionally ruin you for the rest of your life, then fvck the very legal concept of defamation. It seems quite incompatible with the 1st Amendment. Given especially that his hoax claims were general and political as opposed to directed toward any of the plaintiffs.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
Doesn't matter in the slightest. This jury had no power except that given to it by the government. Its verdict would mean nothing if not enforced by the government.
What an idiot.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
Given especially that his hoax claims were general and political as opposed to directed toward any of the plaintiffs.
That’s a lie. So you are an idiot and a liar. The required characteristics to be a Republican.

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
What an idiot.

Said the idiot.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
That’s a lie. 
Let me say, first of all, that my impression of this whole case was derived from the headlines I've heard over and over: "Alex Jones sued for claiming Sandy Hook was a hoax." Given that that's the only thing I've heard, the assumption on my part that he was sued ONLY for his general political claims about the incident would be a perfectly reasonable one even if incorrect. At worst a misunderstanding, not a lie.

That being said, do you have proof that he defamed specific plaintiffs or encouraged harassment of them?

So you are an idiot and a liar. 
A whole lot of projection here buddy.

The required characteristics to be a Democrat.

Fixed.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
That being said, do you have proof that he defamed specific plaintiffs or encouraged harassment of them?
Yes, that is why he was convicted. Read the fucking newspaper you idiot, not just the headline. He does not have to say “I want all my listeners to go harass these people” to be guilty of defamation or causing injury.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
A whole lot of projection here buddy.
You are such a loser you had to delete your bio. Because you don’t have a thing to show for your miserable life.

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
You are such a loser you had to delete your bio. Because you don’t have a thing to show for your miserable life.
I didn't fill out my bio in the first place, because I value my privacy online. But if you must know, my education credentials are literally higher than yours and I have what I guess you could call a plush government job.

Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
this is bull shit. in life, you make mistakes. everyone talks about sandy hooks but no one ever talks about everything he got right. in totality, Alex is an absolutely great guy 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Swagnarok
my education credentials are literally higher than yours and I have what I guess you could call a plush government job.
Ya, those on-line courses are really paying off. And the fact you bitch about the government while relying on the government for your livelihood is pretty pathetic.