Flys Eye Dome

Author: ebuc

Total: 4
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
.." In 1965 Buckminster Fuller designed and patented the Fly’s Eye Dome, which he called an “autonomous dwelling machine”. ...The Buckminster Fuller Institute, in partnership with Goetz Composites, ConformLab, and DRDesign, began the development of a program to complete Fuller’s vision, using advanced technologies and materials not available to Fuller in the 1970s.

...BFI was then commissioned to produce a Fly’s Eye Dome utilizing state-of-the-art materials, intelligence, and techniques, to be prominently incorporated in the Miami Design District. "... Buckminster Fuller Fly's Eye Dome, 1979/80-2014 public art in Miami, Florida | Miami Design District https://www.miamidesigndistrict.net/listing/395/buckminster-fuller-flys-eye-dome-1979802014/

..." DRDesign, Conform Labs and Goetz Composites created a 3d parametric modeland incorporated new solutions such as a new joining system that makes the structure watertight and enables passive ventilation. "...

sadolite
sadolite
Cant say that I would want to live in one, but that's just me.  But hey if it gives ya a woody, by all means.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@sadolite
Yeah, the concept of these energy-harvesting-dwelling-machines ,are not natures nest in tree or bushes. Some people are nature buffs, that want to go back to caveman days. Sorry, that's not for me.

What Stewart Brand found out, is that there is not enough sunlight  --cause structure casts shadows--- to come close to being like a regular greenhouse, ergo, he poo poos this particular type of this light-weight, energy-harvesting-dwelling-machine, however, he does give kudo's for the need for this kind of forward thinking approach.

7 days later

ebuc
ebuc
In Arkansas museum wildlife wooded area.