A note to all debaters and moderators.

Author: Vici

Total: 80
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
Despite what you may think of me, I implore you all to read this post, as I seriously think it poses a significant issue which should be solved. This is serious - I know many of you may not like me, but this is an issue which effects all debaters and the integrity of this site. 

In my recent debate, the following vote was provided 

• According to the debate description, we are considering DebateArt as the criteria. So for PRO to insist an outside definition should be used as a standard for a good debater is to go against the description. CON structured his....
The bolded shows the pivotal thing which made the voter vote for the Negative side. However, this was refuted in the second round (you don't need to read it if you don't want to, just know that it is there and quite substantial (for a debate of 5,000 characters, this is quite a substantial part of the argument). 

• According to the debate description, we are considering DebateArt as the criteria. So for PRO to insist an outside definition should be used as a standard for a good debater is to go against the description. CON structured his argument based on the statistical average of the leaderboard and the existence of the Hall of Fame, which are two metrics that DebateArt explicitly uses to rank debaters and good debates. This means that CON better followed the debate's structure than PRO and therefore has won the debate. The question was never "is Barney and OBJECTIVELY good debater" (according to the description), but if Barney's performance on DebateArt is good, since the description blatantly states that DebateArt will be considered.
It seems clear that a he solely focuses on arguments presented by Con and does not engage with responses from Pro or any of Pro's arguments. Keep this  in mind.

Another vote which was casted against me was based on the following. 

• ... CON unambiguously demonstrate that Barney is well above the average user in terms of being able to win debates (which is if not definitionally, the most commonly accepted goal of a "good" debater.) Pro's only counter to this evidence is the argument that this metric means nothing because no one on this site is a "good" debater. Con rebuts this based on the debate description.
Notice how the voter mentions ONLY a single argument which was a 760 characters placed at the argument which I took care in saying was a kritik which was *cheeky*. It seems clear then that the voter solely focuses on arguments presented by Con and does not engage with responses from Pro or any of Pro's arguments

Now this is the most important bit. In Oromagi's recent debate, a vote was removed for the following reason. 

Is it not clear that there is a double standard in play? The two votes clearly violate what Whiteflames says! They don't focus on arguments Pro debated, and does not engage with responses from Pro!

There is a clear bias on this site. When it comes to defending Oromagi, the moderators will enact their "reason". When it is used to defend Barney, opposing reason is imployed to protect him. 
Vici
Vici
-->
@Vader
@whiteflame
@MisterChris
Please read the entire thing.
Vici
Vici
-->
@Barney
@K_Michael
@Public-Choice
Please read and give honest thought. 
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Vici
I know you're talking about me, so I will respond.

For starters, let's start with your description:
we only consider debateart because debate.org is gone and we don't know about it.
Now let's look at what I said again:
According to the debate description, we are considering DebateArt as the criteria. So for PRO to insist an outside definition should be used as a standard for a good debater is to go against the description. CON structured his....
This isn't some deepthroating of Barney's dick or anything. It is applying what you wrote in the debate description as the criterion for the debate. I do this with all my votes.

To be honest, I know almost nothing about Barney. I have rarely interacted with Barney. I have only seen, maybe, one debate he was in. So I came to this basically fresh and non-partisan. I also barely saw most of the forum posts you did and barely knew anything about you.

If you didn't want "only DebateArt" to be considered then you shouldn't have said that. It was a very easy problem to avoid. But it is clear from your description you are evaluating Barney's ability based on DebateArt. That is what your description stated. And that is how I rated the debate.

So let's go to your arguments now. I'm going to block quote because you clearly seem to think I had it in for you.

1. How we determine this? Two ways
    1. Look at all their opponents holistically - what is their combined record? 
      1. Combined records is a good way to determine strength. Eg. if my record is 100-0 but all my opponents have lost 10 times this isn't impressive. However, if my record is 10-3 and all my opponents have won 100 times, this is indicate of a better debater. It isn't perfect, but the probabilities of noob sniping is much less in the bare record (more difficult to find 10 bad opponents who've won 100 times than to snipe 100 people). 
Your OPENING ARGUMENT is using debate metrics PROVIDED BY DEBATEART.COM. 

You then provide a statistical analysis of why you think elo doesn't matter. But, here's the thing. YOU made this about debate records. YOU made this about DebateArt performance. And YOU made this about "only DebateArt" as the metric.

But it gets better:
  • Combined record 
    • 390-1104
      • FUN FACT - Barney has, out of his 37 opponents beaten on 3 people with a positive win loss ratio 
  • Strong opponents 
Here is where you shoot yourself in the foot. While trying to prove Barney is a terrible debater, you list how he has beaten Novice_II, who is honestly the best debater on this website.

You do this to prove he is a bad debater? You shot yourself in the foot. I didn't even need CON to respond. You already made the case against yourself.

But you then further proceed to shoot yourself in the foot with your final opening argument:

Argument three: No one on this site is a good debater 
If you think no one on this site is a good debater, then why did you bring up Novice_II? Why did you make your own personal tier list of debaters based on wins against strong debaters? Why do any of that?

But even more so, WHY BOTHER SAYING YOU WILL ONLY CONSIDER DEBATEART IF YOU DON'T EVEN THINK ANYONE ON HERE IS A GOOD DEBATER? 

But, knowing that I am not allowed to respond in place of CON, I waited to see how CON responded.

And he nails it on the head:

I shall prove my case on three fronts, which shall be given their own sections below
  1. Win Record
  2. Leaderboard
  3. Quality of Debates
Why did he nail it on the head? BECAUSE WE ARE ONLY CONSIDERING DEBATEART. He is following the prompt.

He also notes this in his opening argument:

Scope
This debate is limited to DebateArt.com, as written in the description: “we only consider debateart because debate.org is gone and we don't know about it”[sic]. Therefore, I shall seek to prove myself good by the standards of this website.
He is making a statement of fact here. A statement of fact that could have easily been avoided if you wrote the description differently. BUT YOU DIDN'T.

He then defines good in a way that you also agreed to with your opening argument:
Given the many definitions for good, I shall assume via context that it is a reference of degree of skill and quality to a notably above average at debating within the confines of this website.
You said, in your opening argument:
B must prove that he did this, again, from my chaotic state observation, the status quo is that he has not done any of these things (we should assume he hasn't) so to disprove this point he must prove that he has done some good debates
So you are both working out of the same definition for good.

He then proceeds to show how he is good, and, THIS IS THE KEY PART HERE, ONLY CONSIDERING DEBATEART.

So he followed the prompt, unlike you, btw. Your argument three days that outside accolades matter more than wins on DebateArt. You also asked Barney to prove he has won accolades. I don't know what in the world that has to do with "we only consider DebateArt."

To be a good debater out of the wide pool of debaters that exist, you must have some great debating skills and corresponding prizes (participated in national debating, participated in Ivy League debates, participated in high level debates e.g. Harris vs Peterson, or debated in high level debating contests). B must prove that he did this, again, from my chaotic state observation, the status quo is that he has not done any of these things (we should assume he hasn't) so to disprove this point he must prove that he has done some good debates. If he hasn't then he isn't a good debater, in the sense that in society, he is not a good debater. 
No you don't. Not for this debate at least. For this debate we are only considering DebateArt. So what the flying fuck do accolades and participating in Ivy League Debates have to do with this debate? They are outside of DebateArt. You basically decided to abandon your own argument and begin requiring a different test than your description.

So CON won not because "I hate you," or because "I am biased toward Barney" or any other horseshit. CON won because he stuck to the prompt and proved USING ONLY DEBATEART that he is a good debater. Like it or not, according to the WEBSITE METRICS, which you also used, and according to WHOM HE HAS BEATEN, you lost this debate.

All CON had to do was make that clear. DebateArt uses a leaderboard and elo rating to determine the best debaters. Barney is one of the highest-ranked debaters on this website and he beat Novice_II, which you noted, who is a higher rank than he is currently.

Look to be honest, you are actually right that he noob snipes. But rather than use DebateArt metrics to prove this and then proceed to discredit the elo rating and leaderboard, you could have come at it from an entirely different angle and simply showed how Barney's debates themselves were not impressive. But you fucked up when you went to the leaderboard and used DebateArt statistics to make your case.

It was a bad debate on your part. You handed Barney the victory.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
The site has shitty voters, what can you do. My biggest issue here with these votes are that source points shouldn't be given out. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Barney
As a show of good sportsmanship do you mind removing the votes in your favor and asking them to not allocate source points and to revote based only on arguments? 

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@whiteflame
Can you see if the votes on that debate followed the correct procedure for awarding source points please.

It seems like a philosophical argument by both sides for the most part and source points should have been disregarded
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@ILikePie5
Do you mind reading Vici's debate and seeing if you can determine who won in a fair manner? 
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Vici
Pro's only counter to this evidence is the argument...
This is from my vote. I addressed the one argument on your side that countered Barney's argument.
By comparison, from the removed vote on Oromagi's debate
he solely focuses on arguments presented by Con and does not engage with responses from Pro or any of Pro's arguments. This specific point may be the most important one in the debate, but the voter cannot simply say that without touching upon the responses to it.
Barney made an argument, which, if uncontested, would easily win the debate. Only one of your arguments responded to his, therefore only that one was important to my consideration of who won the debate. If I had not addressed a single argument you had made, my vote would have been similarly removed.

Imagine if I was arguing that Mario was the best Sega character of all time, and Con's argument was that Mario was not a Sega character. No matter how good my arguments were on how good of a character Mario was, unless I could counter that single argument, I would still lose.
Novice_II
Debates: 98
Novice_II
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I can agree with you on the idiocy and poor quality of many voters on this platform. 
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Wylted
As a show of good sportsmanship do you mind removing the votes in your favor and asking them to not allocate source points and to revote based only on arguments? 
Barney is prohibited from moderating a debate that he participated in, as a general rule applying to all moderators.

Furthermore, my sources vote was completely justified and you can kindly shove off.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@K_Michael
Furthermore, my sources vote was completely justified and you can kindly shove off.

How so, Barney just source spammed the debate. It makes no sense to award source points in a philosophical debate. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Vici
Can you message me a PDF of your round one argument. My phone renders a portion of it nearly impossible to read. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Novice_II
Do you mind giving vici a single fair vote and then pming me to tell me if it is even worth my effort to judge the debate? 
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Vici
You're comparing apples to oranges with these two debates and the reasons given for removal/non-removal.

In your case, the voters reference the description and view what is stated there as a clear limitation on what evidence is pertinent to the debate. The two voters you quoted referenced that. You gave responses to this view in your arguments, but both voters clearly viewed this as paramount. It's not an argument given in the debate by your opponent, it's effectively being treated as a rule that precedes any discussion by the debaters. Making a decision on that basis is like making a decision based on how the resolution is written or the specific definitions provided - it does not necessitate that voters assess specific points made by both debaters, not even those points that get the most attention.

In the case you're citing from a separate debate, the voter references a specific argument made by one side in the debate without engaging with responses given to that argument by his opponent. By basing his decision on an argument presented by one of the debaters rather than a perceived rule/organizing principle for the debate, the voter makes it about what the debaters said within the debate first and foremost, and looking at only one side's arguments in that debate suggests that they only considered those arguments in the debate. This is when considering arguments presented by both sides becomes necessary.

I understand why you view this as similar since your arguments included points against this perception of the description, and I suspect you'll continue to see this as biased moderation on my part after reading this, but what you appear to be looking for here is an extension on these RFDs that would amount to more specific dismissals of those points, which just looks like repetition of what's already there. Public-Choice made that clear in the numerous responses he gave you in the comments of that debate, and while K_Michael didn't engage in a similar back-and-forth, he makes his position on what is paramount clear from the first sentence. How they view each sides' arguments stems from the description, and they make it clear why and how that affects the debate as a whole. I understand if you view that analysis as frustratingly limited because it dismisses a lot of your argument as irrelevant, but it is sufficient.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
So far not a single vote on that debate was fair. Even if Barney deserves to win, he deserves zero source points at all. That means if 3 fair voters show up and think vicci deserves the win, she will still lose because of the source points
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Can you see if the votes on that debate followed the correct procedure for awarding source points please.

It seems like a philosophical argument by both sides for the most part and source points should have been disregarded
I did. Each vote was reported and the results of those reports are in the comments.
Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
@Vici
Yes, I will vote on this debate because of the bias against VIci.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@whiteflame
I guess if it falls within the guidelines nothing you can do, but it's bullshit to award source points in a debate that is largely about semantics and philosophy 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Novice_II
Thanks if somebody can put her round one in a word document for me, I will vote also. Or maybe I can just put my phone on webpage mode or something and fix it
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
I guess if it falls within the guidelines nothing you can do, but it's bullshit to award source points in a debate that is largely about semantics and philosophy 
I probably wouldn't do it myself, so I can see your point. Then again, I haven't fully read the debate.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@RationalMadman
You are impervious to group think and a very competent voter. Do you mind just working really hard to figure out which side deserves votes more on that debate. 

At the very least vici took on a good debater who is currently undefeated and deserves a fair vote, which she has not received yet. 
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Wylted
it's bullshit to award source points in a debate that is largely about semantics and philosophy 
Barney used statistics to demonstrate how highly rated he is compared to most debaters. Furthermore, there is absolutely awardable source points in a philosophical debate. Any time you cite a philosopher's position (as Vici did about Plato's "chaotic states") there should be a corresponding source for voters' perusal (which Vici did not provide). It isn't my job to google and double check factual claims made in an argument, so anything that isn't common knowledge and especially quotes should be sourced. If one side of a purely philosophical debate failed to do so it would easily lose them source points in my eyes.
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
I will vote as well, as I actually see some merit in this post.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@K_Michael
Any time you cite a philosopher's position (as Vici did about Plato's "chaotic states") there should be a corresponding source for voters' perusal (which 
Because it's the premises that matter. She gave credit to Plato which is nice, but it isn't like statistics where you need a source so your opponent can check the credibility of your claim. 

Unless she is merely making an appeal to authority, which isn't always a logical fallacy, than she really should just be able to give credit to the originator of the ideal without citing where the individual first discussed it. 

What if it was in private conversation? I know platonis dead, but if it was somebody alive and she was just having a coffee with them and they told her. Clearly the citation is not what is important but the premises to what they are arguing. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
I will vote tomorrow unless those votes just bury vici. I trust both novice and bones to get it right and if they vote against her I will just be wasting my time and merely putting the nail in the coffin
Novice_II
Novice_II
Any time you cite a philosopher's position (as Vici did about Plato's "chaotic states") there should be a corresponding source...
  • Even if Vici did not cite a source for this, I don't see how this is relevant to the argument she made. Plato's name could be taken off it, and the argument could remain unaffected. I don't see any reason to believe this would impact source allocation. WyIted is so obviously right here. What is the argument that this would warrant awarding the source point to the contender? 

Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
The more time I spend on this site the more confused I get, extrapolating my current trajectory of understanding, I'm thinking in about two more weeks I won't know how to log in.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
If they can award source points based on that nonsense than I can award conduct points based on how honorable vici has behaved when challenging unfair votes. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Sidewalker
You should be deleting your account anyway. Sidewinder is obviously a better username so you should restart with that name