Republicans have relied on race baiting and fear mongering for decades

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 13
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
The voice in the now-infamous 30-second political ad, created by supporters of George H.W. Bush during his 1988 presidential campaign against Democrat Michael Dukakis, sounds ominous as it tries to paint Dukakis as weak on crime

Ironically, the policy in question had been created years earlier, in 1972, by Massachusetts Gov. Francis Sargent, a Republican. He had implemented a program that allowed prisoners weekend time away from prison in exchange for good behavior.

During a 1988 debate against Dukakis, Al Gore brought up the case of Horton, asking Dukakis about “weekend passes for convicted criminals.” Dukakis explained “the Massachusetts furlough program for murderers sentenced to life imprisonment had been canceled”.

The issue did not take for Gore, but the exchange attracted the interest of the research director for the Bush campaign. After Dukakis won the Democratic nomination, Lee Atwater, a young but shrewd Republican political strategist who ran Bush’s presidential campaign, jumped on the issue.

The Willie Horton ad and Atwater’s political strategy would become a a symbol of the dark side and half truths of Republican politics. In his obituary, when he died in 1990, at the age of 40, critics, wrote “his success in elevating a black murderer-rapist named Willie Horton into a national figure used to crush the presidential bid of Michael S. Dukakis was a crude appeal to racism and the epitome of the negative campaign.”

Months before Atwater died a young man, he expressed regret for using divisive political tactics. Atwater wrote in a Life Magazine story: “In 1988, fighting Dukakis, I said that I ‘would strip the bark off the little bastard’ and ‘make Willie Horton his running mate.’ I am sorry for both statements: the first for its naked cruelty, the second because it makes me sound like a racist, which I am not.”

Republican campaigns and lies have only gotten worse since the Willie Horton ad.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
A recent ad supporting Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) attacks his challenger, Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes (D), with language similar to that used against Dukakis.
“What happens when criminals are released because bail is set dangerously low?” says the voice in the ad, created by the National Republican Senatorial Committee. Then the ad cuts to news footage showing “tragedy” in a Wisconsin community as an SUV plows through a crowd at a Christmas parade, before cutting to a man who was arrested. “Mandela Barnes wants to end cash bail,” the voice in the ad says. “Completely. He wrote the bill. Barnes still wants to end cash bail. Today.”
sadolite
sadolite
Everyone is a racist without exception. The word is meaningless.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Republican campaigns and lies have only gotten worse since the Willie Horton ad.
Eh, they have kinda walked away from a lot of the race baiting. You have to go pretty far back like the OP went to find examples; whereas you can find plenty of 2022 examples of "whitemanbads" that are not largely coming from the Right. For example: a thread that says America needs to fear terrorists with white skin.

The soft racism of low expectations is also a purely leftist strategy despite the growing pushback within minority communities against the ideology.

he expressed regret
This is the rule over the exception in 2022 on the right.

Then the ad cuts to news footage showing “tragedy” in a Wisconsin community as an SUV plows through a crowd at a Christmas parade, before cutting to a man who was arrested. “Mandela Barnes wants to end cash bail,” the voice in the ad says. “Completely. He wrote the bill. Barnes still wants to end cash bail. Today.”
No mention of skin color. Seems like the right has learned a valuable lesson since 1990.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@sadolite
Everyone is a racist without exception. The word is meaningless.
That’s beautiful. You should put that on your gravestone.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
  • No mention of skin color. Seems like the right has learned a valuable lesson since 1990.
The skin color is seen on the TV just like with Horton

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
At least these so called racists have diversity in thinking.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@sadolite
You are worse than a racist, at least racists have diversity in thinking.
I imagine racists think there are lots of things worse than being a racist.

sadolite
sadolite
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Um I don't think you got the point.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
The skin color is seen on the TV just like with Horton
So anyone with eyeballs is a racist? Guess Sado is right actually then.

But you're actually and factually wrong. The ad talks about the problems of having no cash bail and makes no mention of color. Democrats, on the other hand, such as JB Pritzker have specifically mentioned skin color as the reason for no cash bail and makes no mention of the problems of having no cash bail.

There is only one racist in this equation.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
@Deb-8-a-bull
Agree.

Everyone instinctively discriminates relative to perceivable differences.

Skin tone variation is one of many obvious stimuli.

It's all to do with survival strategy.

Tolerance is the answer, though we haven't as yet mastered the seemingly simple technique of tolerance transfer. Sort of educating/conditioning all kids with total tolerance data.

Though a system of total tolerance transfer and consequent survival strategy override might be a tad risky, unless we firstly iron out the more dangerous flaws in some people's data processing systems.

Oh, and then there's social inequality and all that sort of shit to iron out as well. That is to say the removal of all resentment triggers.

Maybe technological evolution will eventually sort of intellectually homogenize humanity.

Though there will certainly be strong resistance from within steadfastly ideological sub-groups.

Which is currently just about everyone.

And sort of where we started.

Which is why I always suggest that A.I. (Alternative Intelligence) is probably the only evolutionary way forwards.

Organic data processing units just get way too emotional.

Just ask Mr Spock.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@zedvictor4
"If everyone thinks alike, then no one is thinking."  Not directed at you, just everyone. Your way isn't the only way nor the best way or the most effective way, but only one possibility with most likely limited or no positive results. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
For sure.

I just toss random thoughts about on a wet Sunday morning.

And yep, with no sense or certainty of positive outcomes, especially regarding the organic beast that is homo sapiens.

Though I do think that if material evolution has a purpose, then A.I. is probably the way things will go.