Thoughts on Elon Musk's Acquisition of Twitter?

Author: K_Michael

Total: 7
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
I don't use twitter a whole lot but was curious if anyone has opinions.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@K_Michael
I don't really have any thoughts,
Been hearing something out the corners of my ears about Musk saying he's going to decrease the censorship on Twitter,
Something or other about him backing Republicans lately,
He's a guy with riches and time on his hands, it seems.
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
Great for Andrew Tate.

It seems now that deleted tweets show if you click on them, is that better or worse for free speech?

Anyway idk, we will see if it becomes a right wing circle jerk as opposed to the left wing circle jerk it was before.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
I don't use it but I couldn't possibly think of how it would affect anyone's life directly other than your feelings being hurt because someone said something you didn't like. Cant be any different than here on this site. People say stuff I don't agree with or like all the time on here. Tough shit if I don't like it, I can live with that or I can cry like a little bitch, no one will care and I can leave. Kinda like all the crying little bitches on Twitter are doing now that no one cares if the stay or leave. I mean really, who gives a flying fuck if you leave Twitter because Spaceman bought it.  You can still post all your BS just like before except now your BS might be challenged, kinda like on here. Oh the humanity!!  Those are my thoughts.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
Summary of things I understand Musk is planning/has done (no doubt subject to change, as we're literally dealing with an eccentric billionaire):

• Twitter verification, including the coveted blue checkmark, will soon be available to anyone for $8/month. Any time you change your handle the check will be temporarily removed (presumably to prevent fraud, this makes sense to me.)
  • Any impersonation accounts not clearly marked as parody will be banned without warning
  • Vague intention to improve the search function?
  • Something about an improved ability to include longform text without just screenshotting a text document.
  • approximately half of the previous company workforce was laid off with 3 months severance.

Avery
Debates: 0
Avery
Elon Musk has a long history of failing to deliver on promises and screwing people over. Thunderf00t has compiled a great list of them (and critiqued Musk) Thunderf00t - YouTube . Elon is very good at staying hip and relevant, but most of it's smoke and mirrors. 

So, I don't think Twitter is in for a good ride. It's too hard to say what exactly will happen, but I'd guess Twitter will become a shell of its former self without completely dying (in the next 5 years). It might die after that.
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
I'm not optimistic. He said multiple times he is going to default to the government for censorship.