DEMOCRAT MAYOR SUED for VIOLATING FREE SPEECH of Constituents

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 9
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
(The Center Square) – When Eastpointe residents criticized Mayor Monique Owens in a Sept. 6 city council meeting, she claimed the residents were “assaulting” her. 

Now, the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression, a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that defends free speech, filed a federal lawsuit accusing Owens of “abuse of authority.”

Video shows Owens repeatedly interrupting and silencing constituents at the podium expressing support for Councilman Harvey Curley, who has been involved in an ongoing dispute with Owens. 

Mary Hall-Rayford, a community activist, former chaplain, and school board member who attempted to speak at the meeting, said that residents have a "right to complain."

SOURCE:

Links in article:
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Look, you already screwed up that post on a poll worker. Now this, I have to assume you failed to use critical thinking skills.
Are you the Minister of Misinformation? Your new nickname is going to be Chicken Little if you keep this up.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Why should I take a critique on my article selection seriously if it comes from a fringe left conspiracy theorist who denies the results of the Georgia election without evidence and peddles voter fraud conspiracy theories labeled disinformation by IFCN-certified fact-checking organizations?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I think we should take the characterization of Ms. Owens as a "democrat" advisedly, since she only switched to that party to run for State Senator in April.

As the Detroit Free Press wrote:

Owens' party allegiance and core values appear oddly malleable. She first filed to run in the Republican primary, then withdrew and re-filed as a Democrat. Owens says that she identifies with both parties, but feels the Democratic Party is more closely aligned with her current priorities. She describes herself as a conservative Democrat with Christian values. In a race likely to determine control of the state Senate, we'd prefer not to risk electing a senator who might switch parties. 

As a former cop and Pentacostalist who advised the Trump Administration on garnering the black vote in 2020, Owens is far to the right of any other elected official in the city- standing alone against statements advocating gay rights, for example.

We might note that this city council meeting is in the context of Owens just having lost the Democratic primary to one of the city council members who will walk out on her here.  All of Owens polticial conflicts as Mayor come from her taking stances to the right of the city's majority opinion.

It is true that Owens was a registered Democrat when this video was filmed but it was not true last year and does not appear to be likely to be true next year.  The law un-gerrymandered Michigan's districts and Owens had no chance of winning her State Senate Race as a Republican so she became a Democrat.  

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@oromagi
Owens is far to the right of any other elected official in the city
Except here is her response to Ballotpedia's candidate survey indicating a strong democrat streak:
I believe I can do more at the State level. Our children can be more advanced in language and literary skills by improving our education system. Health Equity for efficient healthcare for all by building partnerships, better policies, and programming. A plan of action to keep our top resource, our water, clean by less dumping and more advanced infrastructure. I want our state to have more economic stability by creating strong Michigan-based products and businesses.
Source:

Health equity through government policies? That isn't republican or conservative at all. 

She also wants to use the Michigan government to control the winners and losers in Michigan's economy. Funding businesses and using the government as a capital investor is not a conservative value at all.

She has also received money from a PAC that donated to other Democrat candidates:

She also attended a Louis Farrakhan speech in February of 2020. Conservatives hate that guy, but many leftists who are anti-LGBT gravitate to him.

She also didn't meet with Trump, and she went in her capacity as Mayor of Michigan to curry pro-Michigan policies from the administration:

In her early days as mayor, Owens visited the White House with a group of fellow local elected officials. There, she met Vice President Mike Pence.

“I wasn’t able to meet the president of the United States [Donald Trump], but I was still able to meet the vice president,” Owens said with a glowing smile. 
Source:

In this interview with WXYZ she stated she wants the schools to become college extensions and wants businesses to have partnerships:

Once again these are not remotely close to conservative values. Conservative values are not sending your kids off to a small college in elementary and high school, especially since colleges are propaganda factories to most conservatives.

She isn't really conservative at all. It doesn't matter what she's done previously. She admitted herself that she is not Conservative and she ran as a Democrat on purpose. Adding the censorship she is doing, that is the nail in the coffin. Conservatives generally are not for silencing others' free speech.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@Public-Choice
Why should I take a critique on my article selection seriously if it comes from a fringe left conspiracy theorist who denies the results of the Georgia election without evidence and peddles voter fraud conspiracy theories labeled disinformation by IFCN-certified fact-checking organizations?
Nice try. The old - we are not the conspiracy theorists you are - defense

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@oromagi
So Public Chicken Little misinformed again?
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
we are not the conspiracy theorists you are
Did you, or did you not, peddle disinformation that undermines the integrity of the 2018 election in Georgia?

Because, according to this thread, you did:

You have peddled disinformation and baseless conspiracy theories about election fraud. Therefore you are a conspiracy theorist 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Public-Choice
Except here is her....blah,blah....   Conservatives generally are not for silencing others' free speech.
  • None of which contradicts what I said-
    • She was a Republican five minutes ago
    • She was the most right-wing person in the room
  • Again, there is no overlap between Republicanism and Conservativism in American.  You can't be both and be ideologically consistent in the age of MAGA.