Prolonging voting period when votes get deleted by the mods

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 24
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
Hi folk,

I believe someone suggested the idea that the voting period of the debates should be prolonged if the mods delete any votes, so what do you think about it? 

Should we go for it? And if so, for how long should they be prolonged?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
@bsh1
Ping
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
If it was the case that 'elo' altered as votes altered I'd support it but because of impatience and rating only fluctuating post-voting, I really wouldn't enjoy this... It would tease me like a sociopathic Dominatrix on a bad day.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
If it was the case that 'elo' altered as votes altered I'd support it but because of impatience and rating only fluctuating post-voting, I really wouldn't enjoy this... It would tease me like a sociopathic Dominatrix on a bad day.
I am afraid I don't understand what you mean.

That would be a case only for the debates on the "voting" stage, so at this point none of the participants have their ELOs changed anyway because it happens only when debates goes into the "finished" stage.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
And due to that delay in elo changing, addicts like me will get really irritated by the extension teasing us of our orgasmic BOOM 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
And due to that delay in elo changing, addicts like me will get really irritated by the extension teasing us of our orgasmic BOOM
Oh ... 🤔
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
I don't object. If the community wants it, let it be done. But the voting period probably shouldn't be extended more than 24 hours.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Whether or not a vote is deleted shouldn't affect how anyone else voted or will vote. The only purpose would be to grant the offending voter a chance to resubmit a valid vote.

Ideally, there should be a way of flagging the vote such that it no longer counts towards awarding points without deleting it. The voter can then come in and has the option to update the vote. If the vote is not updated in, say, 24 hours, then it is deleted. When updated, the mods are notified and can then review and then "release" the vote allowing it to contribute to the score.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Drafterman had a good idea and the pigs flew oh so high.

Times do change.

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
I don’t think the voting period needs to be extended for public voting: just that if a vote is removed an hour before the debate ends, and the removed vote changes the outcome, the individual voter should be given a few days to log on and have the ability to fix or amend the vote. 

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Ramshutu
I don’t think the voting period needs to be extended for public voting: just that if a vote is removed an hour before the debate ends, and the removed vote changes the outcome, the individual voter should be given a few days to log on and have the ability to fix or amend the vote. 
I am afraid it's not that easy at this point because if the change to the vote (after the debate has been finished) changes the winner of the debate, we'd need to update the ratings and at this point, I don't keep track of how participants' ratings changed in some specific debate. That's also a reason why we can't delete the votes after the debate has been finished. I'll need to come up with something to fix this issue first, I guess. 

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@DebateArt.com
i think you slightly misunderstood. I mean that if the debatecis 7481- 4, just delete the vote. If the debate is 29-28, and the vote is removed within a day or so of the debate finishing: you’ve changed the outcome and the mods havent given enough time for whoever’s vote they removed to correct it.

In such a debate, the voter whose vote was removed should be given a few days to correct it. You could treat it a bit like a “judges” debate at that point, but configured so that only the voter who’s vote got removed, and everyone who has already voted are configured as the judges - so only that one person can revote.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Judge debates don't affect rating it's coded very differently.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
With due respect; I highly doubt DebateArt has intrinsically coded a judge debate user and vote handling inseparably from the rating generation.

The reason I can reasonably surmise this, is that the site doesn’t feel like it’s been written by a complete and utter cretin.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
I don't know what you mean. Judge debates don't change your rating, this is intentional and good.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@RationalMadman
i mean that if the coding that handled generating (or not) a rating for a debate was exactly the same code that handled who can or can’t vote on a debate and was inseparable and unreusable in any meaningful way without being part of a judge debate - we’d know, because this site would be an unusable, crashing shitty mess.

Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
-->
@DebateArt.com
@drafterman
Ideally, there should be a way of flagging the vote such that it no longer counts towards awarding points without deleting it. The voter can then come in and has the option to update the vote. If the vote is not updated in, say, 24 hours, then it is deleted. When updated, the mods are notified and can then review and then "release" the vote allowing it to contribute to the score.
Concur. This is an idea to implement. 

David
Debates: 91
David
I don't think it should be extended. I will say that I think there should be a way to delete votes once the debate ends. If someone vote bombs at the last second and changes the outcome of the debate, then we have nothing to go on. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Raltar
As I said, this was one of the first times Drafterman had a great idea for the site, I was surprised.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
you should definitely remove voting privileges and ban them harsher when/if they violate CoC due to their voting abuse as additional grounds to consider them a threat to the site's community.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@RationalMadman
Yeah that's what we would do. Thankfully it hasn't happened yet, but I worry that it will.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I can't believe anyone is still dumb enough to vote on the debates. LOL
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Yeah, actually several people who would notmally vote in my debates no longer vote in debates because of how votes are moderated.

I tied with someone who forfeited a round and had an argument that consisted of "words don't really mean what they mean".

I'm about to lose to someone who conceded to several of my arguments and made the argument that "lul leprechauns are in the dictionary that means leprechauns exist trololol"

Meeeh

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Yeah, actually several people who would notmally vote in my debates no longer vote in debates because of how votes are moderated.
Good point.