Human Rights Violation in Xinjiang

Author: Intelligence_06

Total: 8
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
That is it. I have lost faith in the general mode of handling COVID in China. Maybe RNA tests once a day isn't enough. Maybe immediately restricting privileges(such as general shopping or drinking from a cafe) for having been in the same region as someone who was a positive individual(and said regions can be as big as, say, the entire upper east side) isn't enough, now we are doing this.

The fire—likely sparked by a discarded cigarette—started on the eighth floor of the Asch Building, 23–29 Washington Place, just east of Washington Square Park. That floor and the two floors above were occupied by the Triangle Waist Company, a manufacturer of women’s shirtwaists (blouses) that employed approximately 500 people. The flames, fed by copious cotton and paper waste, quickly spread upward to the top two floors of the building. Fire truck ladders were only able to reach six stories, and the building’s overloaded fire escape collapsed. Many workers, trapped by doors that had been locked to prevent theft, leapt from windows to their deaths.

Though the owners of the factory were indicted later that month on charges of manslaughter, they were acquitted in December 1911; the owners ultimately profited from inflated insurance claims that they submitted after the tragedy. However, the uproar generated by the disaster led to the creation of the Factory Investigating Commission by the New York state legislature in June. Over the following year and a half, members of the commission visited factories, interviewed workers, and held public hearings. The commission’s findings ultimately led to the passage of more than 30 health and safety laws, including factory fire codes and child labour restrictions, and helped shape future labour laws across the country.

What happened was that in 1 building in Xinjiang, fire broke out in one of the higher levels. However, those that wanted to evacuate CANNOT find themselves exiting the building as the community the building was in was at the centre of one of said regions of high risks of infection, so the entire building was in internal lockdown. Residents inside cannot get out without approval and nobody can get in without approval.

At the time of the fire, nobody in charge of the community approved of exiting the building, as the region was still considered "high-risk" (The criteria of "high" risk would be like more than 1 Covid-infected indivduals were found there in the last 24 hour or something). The manager of the building told the residents to NOT take the elevator. Obviously, the fire trucks can't get there so quickly and immediately, so 10 people died, some burned to death, others jumped down from more than ten stories high as the stairs are either crowded or blocked, or both.

Isn't it crazy that after 110 years of progression, humanity has retreated to 110 years ago? No, no, I can't even give a source on it, because the moderation on verifiable websites would delete the videos and blogs on this matter, leaving that as a fact that even if I link anything here, by the time a second person posts, it is likely a dead domain by that point.

A woman was arrested for spreading exaggerated versions of this story, overestimating the number of people died from this fire. What is laughably funny is that after the event, all that worked at the community, the district, went out with their sleeves intact.

What is even more laughable, is that the second day(which is today) the news existed among the populace, another news headline was posted.
Number of COVID-positive individuals in Urumqi drops to zero
Urumqi is the city in which the disaster prescribed above took place. I cannot even begin to imagine what would come next for other cities(including mine) if they thought this was "efficient".

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Something I missed is, wow, the official accounts later lowered the clearance of that region to "low-risk" after the fire. The role of this action? To avoid responsibility. By changing the label of the region from high to low risk, they have dropped the burden on solely the ones operating the building and ones that lived in it, NOT the administrative personnel in the community, the district, or the city.

Essentially, what they are telling us is:
The path was clear, they blocked it themselves.
It wasn't wrong for anyone not knowing what happened, but justice delayed is justice denied, and a clear path delayed is a clear path denied.

10 days later

Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Intelligence_06
Jeez our press is almost as bad as yours.

What confounds me is how people are more willing to burn down in a fire than try to escape the building and risk getting shot.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Public-Choice
What confounds me is how people are more willing to burn down in a fire than try to escape the building and risk getting shot.
What? That is insane.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
2022-110= 1912

"A republic was formally established on 1 January 1912 following the Xinhai Revolution, which itself began with the Wuchang uprising on 10 October 1911, successfully overthrowing the Qing dynasty and ending over two thousand years of imperial rule in China."

Do you mean that?

Whether so, or not,
Well, I'm not really sure how China is classified,
What your constitution says,

You're a one party system I hear,
And that party has large power,
Corruption, tight control of power, can occur in a Monarchy, or Party.

"Article 35 of the 1982 Constitution proclaims that "citizens of the People's Republic of China enjoy freedom of speech, of the press, of assembly, of association, of procession, and of demonstration."[5] In the 1978 constitution, these rights were guaranteed, but so were the right to strike and the "four big rights", often called the "four bigs": to speak out freely, air views fully, hold great debates, and write big-character posters. In February 1980, following the Democracy Wall period, the four bigs were abolished in response to a party decision ratified by the National People's Congress. The right to strike was also dropped from the 1982 Constitution. The widespread expression of the four big rights during the student protests of late 1986 elicited the regime's strong censure because of their illegality. The official response cited Article 53 of the 1982 Constitution, which states that citizens must abide by the law and observe labor discipline and public order. Besides being illegal, practising the four big rights offered the possibility of straying into criticism of the Chinese Communist Party, which was in fact what appeared in student wall posters. In a new era that strove for political stability and economic development, party leaders considered the four big rights politically destabilizing. Chinese citizens are prohibited from forming new political parties.[7]"

I'd suppose complete freedom of speech, protest, strike,
'Can throw wrenches in the works of society,
Take America or Canada for example, trains and Truck, strikes, discouraged by the government,
Eh, or lot of other stuff in our history,

Society 'does change, if it's not tightly held, I think,
But holding it tightly can choke a society, not to mention abuses, safety in power, by those holding.

Still, maybe it's just something to have in balance,
Let communities more self govern,
Discourage monopolies,
Try to keep 'enough central authority.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Lemming
2022-110= 1912

"A republic was formally established on 1 January 1912 following the Xinhai Revolution, which itself began with the Wuchang uprising on 10 October 1911, successfully overthrowing the Qing dynasty and ending over two thousand years of imperial rule in China."

Do you mean that?
Nope. I meant the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, quoted above.

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Intelligence_06
Ah, I see and read it now,

Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Intelligence_06
What? That is insane.
To me it's more insane to get burned alive than to try to escape.