Are Extroverts happier than Introverts

Author: MeowRanger

Total: 20
MeowRanger
Debates: 2
MeowRanger
Extroverts: a person whose personality is characterized by extroversion a typically gregarious and unreserved person who enjoys and seeks out social interaction.
Introverts: (different of extroverts).

I am currently an extrovert and trying to find that are  introverts happier than extroverts.

My personal opinion: Keeping an extroverted approach is better as it helps one to thrive his/her confidence, getting free from shyness and communication skills.

That's it for the first post I am looking forward to see an introvert's opinion.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@MeowRanger
Introvert here. I don't think social confidence correlates with happiness. I may not feel comfortable in a crowd, but I can find happiness in many things other than people. I could flip the script here and say that introverts are happier because they don't require other people to meet their needs. That would, however, be equally unfair and overgeneralized.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@MeowRanger
introversion ≠ lack of social skills/confidence. Introversion just means that you're more comfortable in solitude or small social gatherings, where extroverts feel energized when they spend time in large social environments. This is why extroverts suffered more from lockdown than introverts.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
-->
@SirAnonymous
I agree with you. I’m an introvert and I’ve been retired for several years. I enjoy being home alone (when my wife is at work, that is) and I’m extremely happy. I enjoy my personal time. I can’t stand people, in general. When I go to the store I’m in and out. I don’t like to meander looking at everything (my wife does), cause I’m bound to bump into that jerk or witch who has no manners or social skills. I keep myself busy whereas most who retire become bored and depressed. Not me. We have six cats, I have a personal library of over 1200 books, huge collection of collectible toys (that require dusting), play Call of Duty often, and enjoy the boob tube (movies, rv series like Yellowstone). Life is too short to worry about what other people think, say or do, especially in social settings. So I enjoy my time, and time with my wife. 
MeowRanger
MeowRanger
-->
@SirAnonymous
I agree with you that Introverts can be happy in their own but my point was to highlight that there can be a way better than staying inside. 
Confidence helps you to face problems in life without much stress which I guess is an aspect for happiness.
MeowRanger
MeowRanger
-->
@K_Michael
Cutting off connections with social world eventually leads to lack of confidence and social skills. And talking about lockdown I myself became an introvert and was really happy with my life but still social life with friends, teachers and relatives was missing.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@MeowRanger
I agree with you that Introverts can be happy in their own but my point was to highlight that there can be a way better than staying inside. 
Better for who, and better from whose perspective? There are a quite a lot of introverts who are very happy staying inside.
Confidence helps you to face problems in life without much stress which I guess is an aspect for happiness.
Social confidence is not the only type of confidence. Furthermore, plenty of introverts are socially confident. It isn't that I am not confident in my social abilities. It's simply that I derive happiness from many things other than socializing. Too much socializing can be draining.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@MeowRanger
Cutting off connections with social world eventually leads to lack of confidence and social skills.
I'm not advocating for introverts 'cutting off connections' as you put it. Social interaction is important for health, especially in your developmental years, and obviously a lack of social interactions will lead to a lack of social skills.

In my experience as an extremely introverted person and someone who has wanted to become more extroverted, forcing myself to go to social gatherings and "be extroverted" was a huge drain on my emotions and energy. Even a regular environment like going to school leaves me wanting to stay in my room for a couple hours to unwind. From what I understand, extroverts feel the opposite, and will organize outings with friends to energize themselves.

I truly do wish I had spent more time developing social skills and less time reading in my early years, especially elementary school, but it wouldn't have made me more extroverted.

I myself became an introvert and was really happy with my life but still social life with friends, teachers and relatives was missing.
You don't 'become' an introvert just like that. It's a spectrum, and even relatively extroverted people can adapt to low social environments, but they won't thrive inn the same way.

To answer the original post, an introvert in their ideal environment (low/optional social stress, limited interactions outside of their friend/family, and time to themselves) is just as happy as an extrovert in their ideal environment (high interaction volume/intensity, new experiences, parties, etc.)
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@MeowRanger
Semantics.

What is happiness?

Are we talking positive chemistry here?

Or just assumptions.

I would suggest that it is better to achieve contentment, rather than constantly striving to be happy.

Horses for courses though, generally dictated by formative conditioning.
MeowRanger
MeowRanger
-->
@SirAnonymous
Better for who, and better from whose perspective? There are a quite a lot of introverts who are very happy staying inside.
It was just my perspective.....
Social confidence is not the only type of confidence. Furthermore, plenty of introverts are socially confident. It isn't that I am not confident in my social abilities. It's simply that I derive happiness from many things other than socializing. Too much socializing can be draining.
Yeah I totally got your point there. Thanks for reshaping my Point of view.

MeowRanger
MeowRanger
-->
@K_Michael
Totally agreed. 
(I have also spotted many grammar errors in my posts, sorry for inconvenience)

There are no more statements with me to continue posting on this forum. Thanks guys. (K_Michael, SirAnonymous)

MeowRanger
MeowRanger
-->
@zedvictor4
Bro I don't know why but I always find it difficult to understand you.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
I am a definite introvert-leaning individual. I am very happy alone but can I enjoy a nice flirt, venting and even fuck with the right person? For sure.

That's life. People are great but 24/7? No thanks.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I will go as far as to be outright sexist here.

Men can thrive properly as hardline introverts, women cannot.

Women can thrive properly as hardline extraverts, men cannot.

You can scream 'sexist' all you want at that. I have observed enough people to know this is 100% true.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@MeowRanger
Do you know what semantics is? If not look it up.

Then apply semantics to relevant words, like happiness and contentment, and see if you can work out just what happiness is.

Positive chemistry refers to body chemistry and particularly brain chemistry, that might have a positive effect upon our wellbeing.

Basically everything we do and achieve relies upon our brain and therefore brain processes.

So happiness etc. is nothing more that brain function, electro-chemical processes.

Horses for courses is a an old adage, that in this instance I use to suggest that positive brain function might be variable relative to the individual and their formative conditioning.

Formative condition basically means  the information that we acquire in our early years.

Such information has a tendency to always influence how we behave and make decisions throughout the rest of our lives.

So perhaps we are taught to be either introverts or extroverts, and therefore positivity is relative in both cases.

SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@MeowRanger
Yeah I totally got your point there. Thanks for reshaping my Point of view.
You're welcome!
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
People mistake shyness and timidness for introversion. Also, do extraverts not experience any levels of introversion? 

49 days later

AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@RationalMadman
I'm a hardline extravert and a man, so I'm gonna have to disagree. I also know women who are much more introverted. Honestly, this seems backwards.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@AleutianTexan
nope, I have it the right way around thanks for the input though.

There's a biological reason you never will get a female hermit that is happy in life, only a male one.
AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
-->
@RationalMadman
I don't think that's true. I've seen happy female hermits, as well as happy men who engage with everyone around them and are extraverted.