On economic ignorance

Author: cristo71

Total: 9
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
I read an article about rising wages in this tight labor market and its contribution to this inflationary environment. It was a decent article, imo. Then… I perused the comments section. Now, I’m just a dabbler in economics, but the waves of confident, angry ignorance in many of the comments was just a facepalm assault for me. I’m talking merely basic fundamentals here, not “Keynes vs Friedman” or anything close to that. It almost caused me physical pain. Why such arrogant ignorance regarding economics??

Well, I read another article which pointed out that, unlike so many other esoteric subjects such as physics, chemistry, engineering, horse breeding, etc., people have a personal stake in the economy and their place in it. We all make and spend money and are part of the economy. That lends itself to becoming highly opinionated on the subject, even if one knows very little about it. In fact, it said, we all need to be mindful of what we don’t know. Excellent point!

Finally, I got to this article, which is simply awesome in its use of irony (I hope people in an economics forum both read it and “get” it):

Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@cristo71
What was the original article? I want to read the comments lol
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@Public-Choice
It was the WSJ which requires a sub. Not an opinion piece, even. Too many of the comments were along these lines:

“Wages rise BECAUSE of inflation. Therefor, they cannot contribute to inflation!”
“What about all these corporate windfall profits and price gouging and the inflation they cause?”
“Wages are rising at a lower percentage than the inflation rate. Therefor, they cannot be contributing to inflation.”
“So, they complain about rising wages for workers (the article wasn’t complaining, rather stating economic fact), but not the exorbitant pay for CEOs?”

Only about 10-20% of the comments understood the article in its intended context.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
The reason we are seeing so much content about wage increases is because of a capital strikes isn't it?

Like they get pissed that truck drivers make a living wage, so all of a sudden we see articles and news stories appearing that complain about a shortage of truck drivers and pushes in law to decrease the age of drivers to 18 and get truck drivers free educations. Just whatever it takes to drive wages down.

We see the same sort of thing with nursing, and now software development. Corporations are already going "boohoo, software developers make a decent salary so we need to get more people here on visas to drive down wages as well as start teaching coding to elementary school kids so software developers can make minimum wage also.

Corporate pigs will be corporate pigs.

Yes wage increase can contribute to inflation. Not very much though. It's usually just making the money printers go brrr everytime the government has a new pet project. 
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@cristo71
The article reminds me of the old joke about the Priest saying "If it wasn't for evil, I wouldn't have a job".
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@cristo71
Before I read the article, does it even mention out of control govt deficit spending and debt? 
cristo71
cristo71
-->
@sadolite
No, it mentions that economic ignorance is a good thing because it keeps economists such as himself employed and how unemployed economists otherwise would lead to economic downfall and *spoiler alert* finally implies that arguing how the loss of just one job type leads to economic downfall is an example of economic ignorance.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@cristo71
Fools and their Money are oft parted :)
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Yes wage increase can contribute to inflation.
Correct, if said wages are subsidized by brrr moneyprinting subsidies. More often than not it's actually government printed pensions that are a bigger factor than wages since they accumulate exponentially.