Repeal Keneddy V Louisiana and Coker V Georgia

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 3
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Convicted rapists and murderers deserve the death penalty because I don’t want the government spending $27 billion taking care of horrible people.  Spend that money giving our teachers a raise.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
More than 70% of all rape is done by a friend or relative.  In the case of children, more than 90% of all rapes are done by a househeld member (father, sometimes brother).  If you were raped by your father, brother, even a friend you might be willing to seek justice but how much less willing to seek justice might you be if you knew it would mean the death of your father?  Seeking the death penalty for rape sounds tough on crime but such a measure would likely greatly increase the problem of underreporting.  Besides, incidence of rape in the US has gone down by more 80% since these SC decisions.  If a policy is working successfully to greatly decrease crime, why mess with it?
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm states although the rape rate decreased after Keneddy v Louisiana, it was falling before 2008, the year the Supreme Court passed it.  After Coker V Georgia in 1972, the rape rate skyrocketed.  Rapists deserve their head chopped off.

If a policy is working successfully to greatly decrease crime, why mess with it?
Getting rid of the death penalty for rape increased the rape rate and my main argument for killing them is I don’t want taxpayers to spend $27 billion a year taking care of murderers and rapists.  Use that money to give our teachers a $9000/year raise.  Invest in our kids!