Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
10 million dollar masterpiece?

Or woke garbage?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Public art should be legible. A person looking at this piece cannot tell who the subjects are or what they are being honored for.

It could just as well be an abstract interpretation of people playing "Twister." It's a shame that this artist Hank Willis Thomas felt compelled to make something "conceptual" rather than making a portrait of Dr. King and his wife that the public could recognize.

The sculpture does a disservice to the Kings and to the public and is a waste of the artist's considerable talent for representational sculpting.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
That looks less like a penis and more like two turds, and even more like abstract nothingness. Almost there the uncanny valley.

I guess this is what happens when abstract art is applied in locations where explicit messages are intended to be carried out.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Intelligence_06
Or could be abstract is part of censorship.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Greyparrot
It doesn't look like it certainly, because it conveys too little rather than too much, what is associated with censorship.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
Waste of money, time and effort. Pure garbage. 
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't think it's that bad looking, though some angles are better than others.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Not even woke.

Just garbage.

Expensive garbage I would imagine.

FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Lemming

Yes, I only see two sets of arms, but then again I am not a gay male who sells Klan robes online who might not see that.
sadolite
sadolite
Looks like two hands holding a giant turd  based on the picture I looked at.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
pencil dicks probably won't see it as a sexual innuendo either.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Wylted
What's your professional assessment?
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
I think it would have looked significantly better if they had included full torsos rather than whatever you call this. It doesn't particularly resemble a penis though, especially considering the obvious phallic undertones of structures like the Washington Monument
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@K_Michael
It would undoubtedly look more a penis if the sculpture doesn't consist of only a closed loop. Nobody's dick, by itself, looks like a bagel or a coil of copper wires.
FLRW
FLRW

Isn't Trump Tower a phallic symbol?  I remember that Poly got upset when I talked about FLRW Tower, LOL.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
I also don't get why it's designed all to look negro (is that offensive?) in racial nature. MLK abstract statue should have a white and black intertwined, even if it's sexual and intimate.

I am truly confused wtf that statue actually is referring to, it seems to be a black man and black woman holding up... well... lol...
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I think it was supposed to be a black man and black woman holding each other up but it kind of looks weird, especially as the woman's side does look like she's holding up this giant dick at a first glance.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
It's also weird because the man's side is also like he's caressing an ass LOL
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't see the dick but it still looks ugly... a traditional statue would've been sufficient, but whatever.
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Greyparrot
Wait, nvm. I can kinda see it.

7 days later

AleutianTexan
AleutianTexan
I think the statue is ugly. I don't see the phallus like other people do and I'm not opposed to abstraction in even specific art, however, I do think that this piece of art fails to really get the message across.

165 days later

FLRW
FLRW

Shouldn't this type of topic be banned?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
FBI go brrrr
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@FLRW
Shouldn't this type of topic be banned?
Why? 

What part of the terms of DART did it violate?

Or is this yet again triggering you because it involves race? The black race, to be specific.

Even black people hate the so-called artwork and agreed it looks like a phallus. 

Even some kin of Coretta Scott King hate the new $10 million sculpture just dedicated to her and her iconic civil-rights-leader husband in Boston — with a cousin claiming it “looks like a penis”.

If blacks don't like it, and they speak out against it, then why, according to YOU, should this topic be banned????????

Asking for a black friend. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
Look, if it was a giant phallus that would just be sexual education. It would also be a lot better art than this thing that only makes sense while you are physically looking at the photograph.

I mean think about the colossus of Rhodes. You sailed between the legs you know. Stunning and brave right?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Let's remember that obelisks are representations of erect penises.  The Washington Monument is a very deliberate and concious tribute to George Washington's big cock- that is one explicit, intentional purpose in the design of the Washington Monument.  As is its whiteness.

A lot of good art is deliberately ambiguous, evoking multiple interpretations.  In this way, many art works tell us more about the viewer than the artists.  Many have pointed out that the white male fear of black people is at heart a jealous male rage over cock size and black physicality generally.  We see this in the history of lynchings in America, where stripping the victim and castrating him were very commonplace even though no such cultural tradition can be found generally in the punishment of non-black males. 

Where most people see the black arms of Martin and Corretta locked in an embrace, some people especially white males suffering from a certain deficit of inches, see big black cock and then they see red.  Think of it as Rorschach for racists.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
The Washington Monument in Washington D.C. is often seen as a prime example of phallic architecture and American masculinity.[73] The towering monument, made of marble, granite, and bluestone gneiss, it is both the world's tallest stone structure and the world's tallest obelisk, standing 555 feet 5+1⁄8 inches (169.294 m) according to the National Park Service.[74] Construction of the monument began in 1848, was halted from 1854 to 1877, and was completed in 1884. In a Journal review, dated 17 October 1911, Arnold Bennett said of the monument, "Saw Washington monument. Phallic. Appalling. A national catastrophe – only equalled by the Albert Memorial. Tiny doll-like people waiting to go into it."[75] Dan Burstein says of it, "Speaking of sex symbols, there is no more phallic symbol in existence than the Washington Monument, and the Capitol dome can be viewed as breastlike."[76] James Webb used a metaphor to praise the "uplift[ing]" power of the Washington Monument as a white phallus, "piercing the air like a bayonet".[77] In the futuristic film Hardwired, set in the United States where everything noteworthy is commercialized, the Washington Monument is used as a giant Trojan condoms billboard.
-Wikipedia
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405_2
If blacks don't like it, and they speak out against it...

Even black people hate the so-called artwork and agreed it looks like a phallus. 

Even some kin of Coretta Scott King hate the new $10 million sculpture just dedicated to her and her iconic civil-rights-leader husband in Boston — with a cousin claiming it “looks like a penis”.
well said.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@oromagi
Whoever sees penises and vaginas where there are none are sick in the head. 

Obelisks don’t represent a penis. 

“Scholars believe that obelisks represented eternity and immortality, and their long, tapering form functioned to connect the heavens and the earth. Their pinnacles were typically covered in gold to reflect the sunlight.”
FishChaser
Debates: 47
FishChaser
-->
@TWS1405_2
Obelisks represent the same things that a penis represents in some cultures.