Favorite Platform for Learning New Information

Author: Skipper_Sr

Total: 20
Skipper_Sr
Debates: 10
Skipper_Sr
This can be YouTube or BBC News or something entirely else.
I do not have one as of yet. Hearing your opinions would help me to choose an effective platform to utilize.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I listen to audiobooks a lot. 
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
i get new info very slowly, but mostly thats because its a process to get revelation from scripture.

other than that i do use youtube from time to time as well.

AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
Wikipedia on top!
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
These days I listen to a lot of podcasts. But that's because I'm on the go a lot. Some of the ones I listen to are The Brainy Business, Data Skeptics, Real Science Radio, Creation Today, JAMA Clinical Reviews, Biblical Genetics, Creation.com Article Podcast, That Naturopathic Podcast.

But for research and news, I use a bunch of different places.

For current events I read the World Economic Forum's website in addition to the various NATO strategic commands so I know what's going on and how people are going to try to destroy my life next. 

For other stuff, when I'm learning a topic for the first time, I read both Wikipedia and Infogalactic on it. I find they both complement each other and give a more well-rounded perspective when read together (and also blatantly point out why they think the other side is pushing disinformation so I can investigate narratives further and determine for myself which is true).

I also use encyclopedia.com a lot and encyclopedia.pub both for pleasure and for research.

Sources I stay away from these days:

• Youtube videos (most of them are FILLED with misinformation)
  • Most news outlets (conservative or liberal, the overwhelming majority are funded by businesses and billionaires with business interests they want me to support). The news is just a sales pitch.
  • Most political think tanks (they're fun to read, but they're propaganda).

I've cut my news consumption down to around 1 day a week and I've never been happier or more productive. The news is bad for your health and is designed to control you, not inform you. I don't listen to news podcasts often, but when I do I listen to three weekend podcasts:

• CBS News's Global Lane (for the Christian Paleoconservative perspective)
  • CBS News Roundup (for the liberal perspective)
  • Hoover Institute's Libertarian (for the Libertarian perspective)
Though, tbh, when I do feel like consuming news media (which, as I stated earlier, I don't really do) I usually just watch the 15-minute National Briefing and the other 15-minute World Briefing from HisChannel. They cover about 15 stories each, and a lot of it is stuff that the mainstream news doesn't cover, in addition to the stuff everyone is talking about. They are ideologically Christian with strong Zionist leanings, so be advised, but they are very factual and straightforward compared to most other outlets.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
Oh, I forgot to add BBC Discovery as another podcast. Though their latest "deep dive" into eugenics (Bad Blood) is disgustingly defending known eugenicists who are loved by liberals by reframing their beliefs and lives. It's also been filled with misinformation about the origins of eugenics, too.

But until now I haven't had any complaints in general except the occasional inaccuracy that all podcasts ate subject to.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
"Favorite Platform for Learning New Information" Pretty much YouTube exclusively.  Completely quit watching all network television and cable news. I found myself becoming dumber  and myopic because of it.
ijb1
Debates: 5
ijb1
Khan academy + Wikipedia is unbeatable.
ijb1
ijb1
I will debate anybody on that who wants to take me up.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@ijb1
I'll take that debate.
ijb1
ijb1
-->
@AustinL0926
What would you say is better?
ijb1
ijb1
-->
@AustinL0926
You said "Wikipedia on top!" earlier, which I agree with.
ijb1
ijb1
-->
@AustinL0926
If we agree then there's no debate.

AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@ijb1
ijb1 padding his posts so he can get 25 posts quicker be like:

Anyway, you said, "Khan academy + Wikipedia is unbeatable." I disagree. It is not unbeatable.
ijb1
ijb1
-->
@AustinL0926
Alright, we can set up a debate.
What do you think beats it?
ijb1
ijb1
-->
@AustinL0926
I think it's also important to recognize that in this context we are referring to online learning platforms.
ijb1
ijb1
-->
@AustinL0926
We are not talking about real life as clearly real life could use a combination of these platforms.
Additionally, we would have to limit it as you could just say "Wikipedia, khan academy, AND the BBC website" and I would be fighting an unwinnable battle.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Additionally, we would have to limit it as you could just say "Wikipedia, khan academy, AND the BBC website" and I would be fighting an unwinnable battle.
Dang. Time for me to speedily exit this thread.
Elliott
Debates: 0
Elliott
Here are a couple:

TED ideas worth spreading

The Rational Wiki

7 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
-->
@Skipper_Sr
I do not have one but I can tell you I learn far better from videos than from reading and used to be confused if I lacked intelligence or something but I really believe I am just not cut out for heavy reading typer of nerdiness.

I learn by being talked to, having visuals displayed to me and doing things, I don't learn well just reading a ton of shit on a topic.