Can we discuss the Dhar Mann situation?

Author: Sir.Lancelot

Total: 13
Sir.Lancelot
Debates: 182
Sir.Lancelot
I assume you know about the protesting. 
If not, here’s a video to get caught up.

REALLY entertaining. 

Bella3sp
Debates: 53
Bella3sp
What is there to talk about? Our opinions on the situation?
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Bella3sp
Initial thoughts and opinions after hearing Dhar Mann’s response as well as the complaints from the crew. 

Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Hopefully this isn't won't be that long.

Ah, alright. I quickly skimmed the video and another video with his apology. I didn't fully watch both of the videos, but I do have a few thoughts along with opinions. I might've made a few errors with my logic being that I skimmed the videos. I apologize for for that. 

They were complaining about the little amount of money they receive. However, when they joined Dhar Man it was clear how much pay they would receive. If they weren't content with it the pay before starting why would they accept working with him in the first place? Further, Dhar Man projects aren't really a full-time job. If you completely are reliant on your pay from Dhar Man that is your mistake alone. 

Another sitaution or complaint was Dhar Man not being in the meetings. With many industries the CEO is not present unless completely necessary. Also considering the fact they walked out of the office within minutes. I understand if the problem isn't getting solved after that meeting but you aren't solving anything walking out.

Could he pay them more especially with the funds he receives from YouTube? Yes. Does he absolutely need to pay them more? No. 

This is mostly affecting them, the actors. With the hate going around with Dhar Man it is safe to say the likes, views, and subscriptions could decrease. What does this do? Affect his pay, affecting his pay affects their pay. 

What's your opinion? 

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@Bella3sp
What's your opinion? 
I can certainly sympathize with the actors’ frustration because the living circumstances in LA are nearly impossible, especially under Dhar’s pay. 

Now with that said, it was semi-irritating to hear that they walked out of a meeting because Dhar himself was not present. (They arranged to meet with Dhar personally and negotiate their pay and were blindsided that the meeting was with Dhar’s associates.) So they walked out. 

Then when the studio was filming, they proceeded to protest very obnoxiously and made loud noises, intentionally disrupting the work that was being done. Police were called on them and while I think Dhar was being an asshole, their decision to be a nuisance was uncalled for. 

Bella3sp
Bella3sp
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I somewhat agree with your opinion. 

Even with the parts I don't, I can understand your viewpoint. 
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
I don't know what the Dhar Mann situation is, and I don't really care. His videos are completely unwatchable. Blatant clickbait, the worst acting imaginable, moronic scripts, simplistic morals, and a grating, narcissistic sense of self-importance. And yet, somehow, that gets millions of views. The only thing Dhar Mann is good for is proving that humanity really is just that dumb.

Now let me tell you how I really feel...
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
The problem is that in Indian culture (and this is seriously true) scamming is actually a part of it, they are one of the only cultures to genuinely go 'you should have seen that coming' when someone gets scammed.

If you think I am lying, I would like you to research the rate of scamming being in India vs the rest of the world. As in international scamming organisations tend to run their scams specifically through India because the repercussions there are the most lenient on the entire planet.

To learn to cheat in India is to learn how to survive. If you don’t, society will treat you as an imbecile who never grew up. Like the freelance writer.

The working principle is this: If you don’t exploit, then you will automatically become the exploited. What happens then is that since everyone is cheating everybody else, all this cheating cancels each other out in the final sum. No one really gains. But it’s something we are habituated and genetically inclined to do, like the way we drive. It’s a mix of nature and culture.

Yes, he is American by nationality but there is something to consider about why he felt it was okay and why it is so extremely prevalent. I am aware how extremely controversial what I am saying is and I don't really care.

This is not about race but you can brand it that way, I wouldn't say this irl unless around people I really trusted. It is a fundamental part of most Indian cultures (there are different castes and subcultures there) to see those that get fooled as stupid and deserving of it, it surely carries over to how they raise children abroad even as immigrants. It is actually present throughout all of Asia, India is just most prevalent at the frequency of it in terms of how often scams occur there. It is changing in the current generation, there's definitely a growing sensitivity and empathy in the latest generation there but it is still very harsh to the naive.

An American person of Indian ethnicity was probably raised with this harshness in mind. I wouldn't be surprised to find plenty other who run scams in US whether social media slave labour Dhar Mann schemes or not. The question is what could have been done differently in schooling or whatever to make this guy get empathy for his victims of scamming earlier, to me that is the crucial thing to answer.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Regarding the situation, it is nothing new to me. These types of scams are being run everywhere by all sorts, an Indian-American doing literal slave labour for his social media series or whatever is nothing rare I would presume. He's just the latest one exposed and now it's in a loud way.

There's all sorts of con artistry out there, you can never really be safe. I doubt he feels a shred of guilt about it, he sees those he fooled as absolutely deserving of it.
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
-->
@SirAnonymous
I don't know what the Dhar Mann situation is, and I don't really care. His videos are completely unwatchable. Blatant clickbait, the worst acting imaginable, moronic scripts, simplistic morals, and a grating, narcissistic sense of self-importance. And yet, somehow, that gets millions of views. The only thing Dhar Mann is good for is proving that humanity really is just that dumb.

Now let me tell you how I really feel...
It's really juicy drama.

The actors participating in the jobs couldn't get high-paying ones, so they settled for acting in Dhar Mann's videos and dealt with the low-pay wages as a result. A lot of them realized the messages were cringe but they were doing it for the pay only. It's now being outed that Dhar Mann is a con-man.

Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
The problem is that in Indian culture (and this is seriously true) scamming is actually a part of it, they are one of the only cultures to genuinely go 'you should have seen that coming' when someone gets scammed.

If you think I am lying, I would like you to research the rate of scamming being in India vs the rest of the world. As in international scamming organisations tend to run their scams specifically through India because the repercussions there are the most lenient on the entire planet.

To learn to cheat in India is to learn how to survive. If you don’t, society will treat you as an imbecile who never grew up. Like the freelance writer.

The working principle is this: If you don’t exploit, then you will automatically become the exploited. What happens then is that since everyone is cheating everybody else, all this cheating cancels each other out in the final sum. No one really gains. But it’s something we are habituated and genetically inclined to do, like the way we drive. It’s a mix of nature and culture.

Yes, he is American by nationality but there is something to consider about why he felt it was okay and why it is so extremely prevalent. I am aware how extremely controversial what I am saying is and I don't really care.

This is not about race but you can brand it that way, I wouldn't say this irl unless around people I really trusted. It is a fundamental part of most Indian cultures (there are different castes and subcultures there) to see those that get fooled as stupid and deserving of it, it surely carries over to how they raise children abroad even as immigrants. It is actually present throughout all of Asia, India is just most prevalent at the frequency of it in terms of how often scams occur there. It is changing in the current generation, there's definitely a growing sensitivity and empathy in the latest generation there but it is still very harsh to the naive.

An American person of Indian ethnicity was probably raised with this harshness in mind. I wouldn't be surprised to find plenty other who run scams in US whether social media slave labour Dhar Mann schemes or not. The question is what could have been done differently in schooling or whatever to make this guy get empathy for his victims of scamming earlier, to me that is the crucial thing to answer.
Yooo, that's insane.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Sir.Lancelot
Which part's insane, specifically?
Sir.Lancelot
Sir.Lancelot
Which part's insane, specifically?
The cultural beliefs on scamming.