Idaho plans to ban transgender treatment for minors

Author: IwantRooseveltagain

Total: 130
IwantRooseveltagain
Debates: 0
IwantRooseveltagain
Because the GOP only supports parental rights if they agree with the parents. 

And the GOP only wants small government when it doesn’t want intrusive government.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Mutilating children is a time honored Democrat tradition.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
Ya, that’s what it is. Mutilation. Idiot

TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
"Yet these therapeutic interventions do not aim to convert or consolidate an identity, but instead aim to help individuals gain a deeper understanding of their discomfort with themselves, the factors that have contributed to their distress, and their motivations for seeking transition (Bonfatto & Crasnow, 2018; D’Angelo 2020a). These exploratory questions are consistent with the principle of therapeutic neutrality—a cornerstone of ethical psychotherapy (Simon, 1992). In fact, both “conversion” and “affirmation” therapy efforts carry the risk of undue influence, potentially compromising patient autonomy. In contrast, the provision of a neutral, unbiased psychotherapeutic process that allows these patients to clarify their feelings and assess the various treatment options, which range from non-invasive to highly invasive, irreversible procedures, is arguably the only way that meaningful informed consent for the latter can be obtained (Levine, 2018)."

The truth is, not all non-affirming therapy is "conversion therapy", and the overly affirmation focused therapy that currently is common practice is, in some ways, just as far from ethical psychotherapy practices as conversion therapy.

Furthermore, we know that a lot of children that aren't given medical affirmation end up desisting, potentially up to 80% of them (https://medium.com/@jesse.singal/everyone-myself-included-has-been-misreading-the-single-biggest-study-on-childhood-gender-8b6b3d82dcf3) yet when you give them puberty blockers, only 2% desist (https://www.them.us/story/transition-regret-percentage-overblown-study).

This should be worrying. Combine this with stories that more and more detransitioners (like  Helena Kerschner, as an example) are coming forward where they didn't feel comfortable in their bodies (which is normal for puberty) and people pushed them to socially transitioning, followed by "love bombing" them into feeling as if this was the right choice (when it wasn't), and we have a serious issue here. It very well could be that there is less desistance because of the overly affirmation focused environment that has been built up, with such extreme positivity being pushed by the left that it almost creates a default position of "love bombing" people going through transitioning.

Furthermore, puberty blockers are not harmless, this is why we see in countries that were "ahead" of us when it came to affirmation-therapies both medically and culturally medical organizations banning the use of puberty blockers in minors for affirmation therapy (see the U.K., Sweden, etc.).

The GOP does typically hold to a limited government, but they also hold to certain jobs the government is meant to uphold, and that is to protect the lives of the citizens and the well-being of minors. This very much is inline with that.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
I fully support this bill, enough of this travesty, thanks very damn much.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Well, you're proving to be a supporter of child mutilation and the sexualization of children. Makes you a pedo. Prove me wrong.

Let the childish insults begin...

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
Pedo Roosevelt. Has a nice ring to it
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
We all know that the majority of child molesters are white, middle-aged men who believe in God and/or live in rural or small town communities.

See movie Mystic River, the Catholic Child Abuse Scandal, or any of the more famous child abduction cases that have been studied in America.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Did you actually just say the majority are white? Like are you actually that racist? It happens to be that nations that are less developed in the world at catching crime and encouraging victims to come forwards tend to be prominently non-caucasian on average (however Eastern Europe is a good example of many nations otherwise that are white dominated).

I am seriously confused why people feel it's okay to say 'white' as an attribute of a typical pedophile but if you would say 'black' as an attribute of a typical gangster it would be absolutely blatant how racist you were. Both statements are racist and delusional, of course.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@TheMorningsStar
I am an ordained Hellenist Priest.
Ok weirdo

Hellenism is, in practice, primarily centered around polytheistic and animistic worship. Devotees worship the Greek gods, which are the Olympians, divinities and spirits of nature (such as nymphs), underworld deities (chthonic gods) and heroes. Both physical and spiritual ancestors are greatly honored.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Greyparrot
Don't forget puppies, we like to torture puppies too.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
delusional
That’s nuts. white people account for the majority of child molesting in this country as they do for serial killers and white collar crime.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405_2
That’s nuts. white people account for the majority of child molesting in this country as they do for serial killers and white collar crime.
Eh debatable, Mexican cartels might have an edge with the rape trees.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain

I am an ordained Hellenist Priest.
Ok weirdo
So, instead of attacking the argument you look at my profile for something to criticize me, the person making the argument, for?
I mean, honestly, this is one of the clearest examples of an ad hominem fallacy that I have ever seen, I am actually impressed.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@TheMorningsStar
It’s his mo. Don’t feel too special lol
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Clearly he is a shrewd Trump plant larping as a Democrat with his daily satire of the left.
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
Based. Would be mega based if they extended the ban to adults.
TWS1405_2
TWS1405_2
-->
@Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405_2
Eh debatable, Mexican cartels might have an edge with the rape trees.
Why did you tag me in this? 

I didn't say those things...
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@TheMorningsStar
So, instead of attacking the argument you look at my profile for something to criticize me, the person making the argument
I mean, honestly, this is one of the clearest examples of an ad hominem fallacy that I have ever seen, I am actually impressed.
so you are a weirdo then. Why would anyone be interested in the uninformed opinion of a weirdo?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Do you mean because they're the majority ethnicity in 'this' country too?
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@TheMorningsStar
The GOP does typically hold to a limited government, but they also hold to certain jobs the government is meant to uphold, and that is to protect the lives of the citizens and the well-being of minors.
This is the opposite of caring for the well-being of minors. This is bigotry and fear mongering for political advantage. And it takes rights and decisions away from parents. Parents aren’t forcing their kids to get these treatments they are allowing their kids to get the treatments they seek.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
Do you mean because they're the majority ethnicity in 'this' country too?
Are they? This country will soon see a minority white population 

There are approximately 488,000 registered sex offenders in the US according to the Justice Policy Journal.

325,000 were white. That 67%. (72% if you only count the RSOs that included data for race/ethnicity)

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
So let me get this straight, you're a left-wing stereotype in all ways other than that you're worried about the declining caucasian race percentage in the mixing honeypot of the US?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Can you show me data that proves that other races inside of the US are statistically less likely to do things to underage victims, please? If you show me such data, I will shut up.

I really mean statistically, I want actual data, with standard deviation and confidence intervals involved.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
So let me get this straight, you're a left-wing stereotype in all ways other than that you're worried about the declining caucasian race percentage in the mixing honeypot of the US?
Worried? I’m just stating a statistic from the Census Bureau 

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ILikePie5
Did you collect all the Trump digital trading cards yet? Which one is your favorite?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
I still see people driving their vehicle alone wearing a mask. I instantly think.....there goes another Democrat.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
Good for them. Hopefully the rest of the world follows suit.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Greyparrot
Clearly he is a shrewd Trump plant larping as a Democrat with his daily satire of the left.
It wouldn't surprise me. I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
so you are a weirdo then. Why would anyone be interested in the uninformed opinion of a weirdo?
What, precisely, makes me a "weirdo" just for being an ordained Hellenist? Why would me being a "weirdo" matter?
Also, calling me uniformed when I am the only person to cite sources on this topic so far in this entire thread. I think you are projecting.

Parents aren’t forcing their kids to get these treatments they are allowing their kids to get the treatments they seek.
Children are inherently not educated enough to make such decisions, especially when they are life altering. I already cited two sources that go over desistance rates with the difference being if the child is medicated or not, should I also go over suicidality and how studies that show affirmation helps often are flawed and there are, when possible, corrections that show that mental health gets worse in many areas?

And when I say "when possible" I am referring to the shitty state of academia. To quote from the earlier cited paper again,
"In contrast, the debate regarding this study in the scientific arena was not allowed to occur. To the best of our knowledge, all of the letters written to the Editor of JAMA Psychiatry, many by respected academics and clinicians who outlined the serious problems in the study, have been rejected."
That is the sad reality when it comes to trans issues in academia, that if you aren't on board with affirmation that you will have a harder time getting your voice heard. In fact, the paper was only written because (1) their own letters were being rejected, and (2) "In the ensuing months, as we observed Turban et al.’s unsupported claims of the harms of psychotherapy for GD taking root globally (United Nations, 2020), we felt compelled to write a more detailed critique of the study, which we present here."
Bad science that supports affirmation becomes prominent, good science that doesn't (or that do but calls out studies that go beyond the supporting evidence) don't.