+++++New voting election voting policy community discussion+++

Author: PREZ-HILTON

Total: 7
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I would like to discuss altering the election voting policy in the following ways to be submitted for an upcoming meep or referendum. Feedback is appreciated so the policy can pass with wide site approval as opposed to merely winning by a slim margin. 

This just refers to the voting process of the election and any other discussion of election rules should be done in another thread. 

VOTING POLICY (election)

1. Voters must have a registered account on DebateArt.com that is at least 90 days old to be eligible to vote.
  2. Voters must have made at least 25 non-spam posts on the site to be eligible to vote.
  3. Voters must not have engaged in any serious rule violations, such as doxxing, plagiarism, or multiple account usage, within the 90 days leading up to the election.
  4. Voters must not be moderators or site administrators.
  5. Voters must be actively engaged in the site community, meaning they have logged in and participated in discussions within the past 30 days.
  6. In case of a tie, moderators and site administrators will have the final vote.
A policy such as above would create a more fair election process and in case of close elections will allow for an immediate resolution and finality to the election. 
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
1. Sure
2. The definition of "spam" is rather vague, but there needs to be some line drawn, so sure
3. Extend it to the 6 months leading up to the election.
4. There's no need for this. As shown by the last presidential election, moderators make fair decisions, despite their personal votes.
5. Arbitrary, and also unclear - if someone posts 25 posts in the 2 days before the election, does that count as "active engagement"?
6. See 4
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@AustinL0926
Them making fair decisions is why I prefer to keep them as tie breakers because of their fairness. Do you have any suggestions to handle ties if the moderators aren't the ones doing the tie breakers? 
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
A simple run-off would suffice.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@AustinL0926
me and RM if tied would have had a runoff that resulted in another tie. Possibly anyway I had a few people reach out to me after the election regretting that they logged into the site too late to vote but thankful I won, but in general people don't change their mind.

I will implement your first suggestion and see if we can get some ideals on how to break ties. perhaps the last president can be a tie breaker vote or perhaps I can work with the mods to go around policy and ask them to begin a tradition of not voting until the last hour, so they can personally make sure the election does not tie. 
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
"me and RM if tied would have had a runoff that resulted in another tie."

The odds of that happening would be extremely low, when you consider what can happen in a close election, e.g:

• People changing their mind
  • People who forgot to vote originally
  • People who protest vote when seeing candidates' disgraceful behavior during the interim period (cough cough)
  • etc...
If the election is truly so close that it ties twice, then you might as well flip a coin or something - no matter what you do, 50% of the userbase will be unhappy, so any tiebreaker method would be equally divisive.

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@AustinL0926
divisiveness is not the issue for me. Taking forever to decide is. I'd like to see a quick conclusion and take steps to ensure we find out 5 minutes after voting closes who won.   The reason for the new voting policy is fairness and perhaps tie breaking ideals can be removed from here and saved for a future president to deal with or for the site to deal with independently from me. I want more feedback from others before altering the proposal to accommodate your request. if a lot of people feel the same as you or very few people respond to this thread, I will alter the policy.