Trump had nothing to do with the Ohio train derailment.

Author: YouFound_Lxam

Total: 27
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
Some people want to blame Trump for the derailment in Ohio. And to that I say........how? They say, it's because Trump tried to pass a bill that caused the standards on certain cargo trains making them more unsafe. But the thing is, the train that derailed were not the ones Trump lowered the standards on. And even if they were, it still doesn't matter,  because that bill never even passed.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

Actually, the other rules scrapped by the 45th president were for recurring safety audits of railroads.
The cause of the accident was an overheated wheel bearing which was not properly lubricated.
This would have been picked up by a safety audit which Trump cancelled.
I think Morgan & Morgan is on to this.
YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@FLRW
Trump tried to cancel this, but it never passed.

Even if it did, the safety audit that Trump cancelled was not for that type of train.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
As far as I am aware, we don't yet have the final report on what went wrong so while we may have a pretty good idea, we are still relying largely on speculation.

What I think matters here is not whether Trump's specific rollback of safety regulations was in fact what lead to this disaster, but the fact that we know with a high level of certainty that a lack of regulations generally is still largely responsible. If the regulation Trump gutted wouldn't have made a difference here, there is some other regulation that would have.

To the extent people are playing politics with this, if we really want to use this as a cudgel between Biden and Trump it clearly favors Biden. Trump's philosophy was made clear; gut as many regulations as possible so that businesses can thrive. The flip side to that argument is that things like this will happen more frequently. So if you do not want to see more disasters like this, Biden and the democrats position here is the one you would be endorsing.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
Trump had nothing to do with anything lately, unless you are looking for Trump baseball cards, he's irrelevent.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
 Biden and the democrats position here is the one you would be endorsing.
To do nothing for 2 years and blame whatever happens on someone else? Sounds like a winning plan.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Do you ever read the arguments other people make with the intent of understanding it, or is your only purpose here to attack your own made up Boogeyman?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
I am pretty sure Democrat control was a real thing 2020-2022 and not some phantom.

With control comes accountability.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
And yet again you reply to with without demonstrating that you have any clue what I was talking about or any interest in the actual conversation that was taking place.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
You were the one bringing up Biden's position, which seems to align closely with Joy Behar's take on Ohio. It's a red region that doesn't deserve excessive help because there is no political capitol to be gained from it.

Neither is there any support from any lobby groups to pressure DC actors to waste time there.

As far as the rail companies go, Biden and his Democrat administration has already proved they are firmly in the pocket of the rail companies the day Biden signed the law to end the rail strike and make it illegal for rail workers to strike. The last thing Biden's administration would ever want to do is to destroy their political capitol with the rail lobbies by pushing the kinds of regulations the rail workers were demanding among other things per their strike demands.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Trump tried to pass a bill that caused the standards on certain cargo trains making them more unsafe. But the thing is, the train that derailed were not the ones Trump lowered the standards on. And even if they were, it still doesn't matter,  because that bill never even passed.
You need to do some more research.

Trump didn’t pass a bill. He revoked some safety rules passed in a bill signed by President Obama.

The main one was requiring upgraded braking systems on trains carry a certain amount of hazardous material.

He also reduced the number of required crew on trains.

The main takeaway is Trump is lowering safety standards and Democrats are focused on  increasing safety standards of trains.

YouFound_Lxam
YouFound_Lxam
Trump didn’t pass a bill. He revoked some safety rules passed in a bill signed by President Obama.
Ok, but it never passed. 

The main one was requiring upgraded braking systems on trains carry a certain amount of hazardous material.
Not the same trains he tried to revoke safety rules on. 

He also reduced the number of required crew on trains.
Again, didn't pass. 

The main takeaway is Trump is lowering safety standards and Democrats are focused on  increasing safety standards of trains.
No Democrats are focused on increasing the safety for Ukraine. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
And also making it illegal for rail workers to strike against big rail corporations.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Ok, but it never passed. 
Wrong, Trump did succeed in repealing some of the train safety rules from the Obama Administration.

IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Democrats are on the right side of the War in Ukraine too, that’s correct. Democrats can do multiple things at the same time.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
As far as the rail companies go, Biden and his Democrat administration has already proved they are firmly in the pocket of the rail companies the day Biden signed the law to end the rail strike and make it illegal for rail workers to strike.
No, it proved that Biden wasn't willing to plunge the economy into a deep recession by allowing a critical source of transportation for goods across the country to suddenly by shut down.

The confirmation bias needed to skip over that obvious explanation and take it where you did is quite impressive. 

You were the one bringing up Biden's position, which seems to align closely with Joy Behar's take on Ohio. It's a red region that doesn't deserve excessive help because there is no political capitol to be gained from it.
Biden's position that I was referring to, which is the same position democrats stood firm on for decades and republicans have been fear mongering in response to all that time, is that regulations work and are generally a good thing.

That's all.

What the hell does Joy Behar have to do with any of this? And that question sets side the nonsense strawman you are putting forward regarding her comments.

This is the problem with talking to you, your mind is so warped by all of that right wing propaganda that you can't even translate basic English. Perhaps in the future you should consider asking more questions instead of just assuming everyone lives in the same news bubble you do.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
No, it proved that Biden wasn't willing to plunge the economy into a deep recession by allowing a critical source of transportation for goods across the country to suddenly by shut down.

You can make the same argument for the safety regulations that would plunge the country into a recession if the rail companies can't meet the safety requirements.

This is quite honestly, the worst take I have seen any Democrat make, that it's OK to have a few people suffer like those in Ohio as long as New York is OK. Dystopian AF.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Double_R
....gut as many regulations as possible so that businesses can thrive...
Deregulation of business was  big deal with President Regan also. Most of the news involved I recall was with the airlines. Oops it was Jimmy Carter who first initiated this deregulation. H,mm

..." President Reagan came into office wanting to deregulate the finance, agriculture and more of the transportation industries. During his administration the Bus Regulatory Reform Act, The Surface Freight Forwarder Deregulation Acts were passed..."

..." So, yes, it is easy to conclude that deregulation worked in terms of lowering prices to consumers and lower costs for the airlines, and that the competitors who couldn’t compete perished.
But, I don’t think that the authors of the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 anticipated that the country would end up with only four competitors, essentially an oligopoly. "...

.."By the late 1970s, lobbying money had begun to change minds in Congress about deregulation, and both parties began voting to deregulate industry. The mantra preached by most lobbyists was that economic regulation was outmoded and market self-regulation should be the norm. The idea they espoused was that government regulation impedes the natural laws of supply and demand, which ultimately increases cost to consumers. They insisted that deregulation would create more competition and thus lower prices for consumers.

...Jimmy Carter not Regan }....The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978
When the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 passed, there were 43 airline companies. By 2013, there were only nine. Many airlines were forced out of business, either filing for bankruptcy or merged into/acquired by a competitor. This included big airlines like TWA, Pan American, Eastern and Continental."....

ebuc
ebuc
Deregulation Regean vs Trump  ' Then and Now'  Continuation...

.." March 14, 2019 | Marissa Martino Golden, Bryn Mawr College
Two things that make the current Administration distinct from the Reagan Administration are President Trump’s more explicit disregard for bureaucratic expertise and his increasingly savvy use of his appointment power. Civil service turnover has reached much higher levels over the past two years. Who will be left to provide the expertise needed should a future President seek to re-regulate? The current brain drain of expert careerists from regulatory agencies may be the most significant difference between deregulation then and now. "...
ebuc
ebuc
So Why Trump...continuation..
.." In my view, this graph is the real clue to Trump’s success: the growth rate of welfare is negative for all groups except the super rich. It is as simple as that. The rest of the society was left behind for more than a generation.

....We have had a long string of very big promises from Reagan to Obama. Tax cuts, trickle-down economics, deregulation, globalization and NAFTA and bailouts all conferred tremendous financial benefits on only one group: the ultrarich. They led to the “hollowing out” of the middle class. So wealth and its concomitant, political power, became as concentrated as it was during the era of the Robber Barons at the turn of the 20th century."...

..." But still the establishment is surprised by the middle class’ anger, by Trumps appeal. This is a generalizable rule: elites are endangered by excessive greed. And being out of touch to the last minute is not uncommon at all. Hosni Mubarek was surprised by the Arab Spring. And prior to his execution, Louis XVI proclaimed that he “always acted from my love of the people.”...
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
You can make the same argument for the safety regulations that would plunge the country into a recession if the rail companies can't meet the safety requirements.
You can make whatever argument you want. Whether it abides by basic principals of logic and critical thinking is another issue, as is the question of whether that even matters to you.

There is no chance that taking the proper safety measures to avoid catastrophic train derailments would have shut down the entire rail industry.

This is quite honestly, the worst take I have seen any Democrat make, that it's OK to have a few people suffer like those in Ohio as long as New York is OK. Dystopian AF.
Of course it is. That's usually what happens when you make up your own bullshit to attack instead of responding to the person you are pretending to talk too.

Nothing I have said even remotely resembles this, and there is no excuse for you to think I did. You're not this stupid.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
There is no chance that taking the proper safety measures to avoid catastrophic train derailments would have shut down the entire rail industry.
You cannot seriously make this statement. Whatever "proper" safety limit you think a company can bear the costs of without going bankrupt, the government can find an additional level beyond that. If the government arbitrarily wants the rail system to have a .01% chance of a derailment, the rail cars would look like something off of a NASA launch pad, and cost just as much.

In any case, arguing that rail companies should get a break the last 2 years from both the Biden administration and the striking rail workers just because New York needs its PVC instead of a recession at the cost of Ohio is one hell of an immoral thing to suggest.

I can show you at least a half dozen sources that show the rail worker unions trying to make safety changes in their strike demands just as Biden slammed the hammer down on their rail strike. Biden does NOT give a flying fuck about safety or striking rail workers. Not if it means an earlier recession that shows just how fucked up his economy policies have been or if it means the loss of his warchest lobby funds from Big Rail.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
In any case, arguing that rail companies should get a break the last 2 years from both the Biden administration and the striking rail workers just because New York needs its PVC instead of a recession at the cost of Ohio is one hell of an immoral thing to suggest.
Ok, this is just plain stupid. I'm not sure why I bother typing words since you are only going to reply to your imaginary friend. You two can enjoy your conversation.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
It's been 2 years and Biden and his majority Congress did not implement any sort of new safety mandates on rail corporations.

If you have some sort of secret list, I would love to see it.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
It's been 2 years and Biden and his majority Congress did not implement any sort of new safety mandates on rail corporations. 
So don’t blame Republicans for repealing parts of the train safety law, blame Democrats for not going back and undoing what the republicans did. Brilliant 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
 blame Democrats for not going back and undoing what the republicans did. 
That's not what I am blaming Democrats for. I am blaming them for doing nothing to improve rail safety over 2 years and then pretending they are a party that cares about rail safety regulations. 

What the party did do tangentially to this was to tell rail strikers to fuck off and got the approval from rail company lobbies to end a rail strike. Right afterwards, the Democrats then claimed they were the party that wants to help the working people.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.