Disagreement post

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 9
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Where I stand on issues - Google Sheets is where I stand on every issue I could think of.  I've updated it since last time.  I think I changed my stance on transgenderism thanks to YouFoundLxam.  I may have changed my stance on a few other issues as well.

If you disagree with anything I said here; feel free to let me know.
TheMorningsStar
Debates: 0
TheMorningsStar
-->
@TheUnderdog
It isn't on your list, and certainly isn't popular enough to have warranted being on your list, but I am curious on what your thoughts are on creating a new category besides just minor and adult?

I have seen arguments that once someone reaches 18 that they should be allowed certain greater freedoms and take on certain responsibilities (they pay taxes, they can drink, etc.), but that they should not be given true independence from their parents and should not be given full autonomy of actions and voting rights until 25 (after the brain has become fully developed).

Essentially, it is the idea that we should take some of the rights (like voting, elective medical decisions, etc.) and responsibilities that we typically grant at 18, specifically ones that have greater and longer lasting consequences to self and others, and wait until 25 (as at that point their brain is fully developed, they should be wiser, etc.)
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Unpopular opinion:
The age for any type of adult activity should be raised to 25. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@TheMorningsStar
I don’t think the standard for adulthood should be based on any age.

If you are living on your own or with a partner, then you’re an adult.  Otherwise, you could be 30 and if you live with your parents still, you wouldn’t be an adult with my classification.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@TheUnderdog
If you are living on your own or with a partner, then you’re an adult.  Otherwise, you could be 30 and if you live with your parents still, you wouldn’t be an adult with my classification.
Eh, personally, I think the American culture of adulthood=independence is messed up. It was literally only pushed because it would lead to more people needing to buy land, pay rent, etc.
I think the cultures that have multigenerational housing have it right.
Wanting to push people out of the house at 18 and put parents into housing in their old age just seems so messed up to me, despite having been raised in that culture.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@TheMorningsStar
The main drive towards it is that it's not fun to not be able to fuck and do  your own thing in a crowded house with thin walls etc while your own parents, and/or cousins etc are living there with you.

It's just awkward and not everyone has nice parents.

Can you imagine having rough sex with your partner while your parents can hear it? Exactly, it's awkward. That's the drive to buy a house with thick enough walls, soundproofing or whatever else. It's not just that, it's the whole idea of privacy and space from annoying pestering parents and whatever.

I agree with you though, I don't get why people are seen as losers (especially males) for being wiser with money and moving out towards age 30 instead of age 19. I don't say it has to be all the way to 30, I just say if the parents are just about bearable enough and you are bearable enough to them just about, it's a wiser move financially, immensely so.

The sucky part is the lack of privacy as I say. Let's say you're gay with homophobic parents, see the issue is even more severe then right?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@TheMorningsStar
Wanting to push people out of the house at 18
I’m 20; I still live with my parents.  

I perfer America encouraging people at some point to get their own place so it helps mix up the country and prevent sepratist movements. Its also why America has a very high per capita income compared to the EU.
TheMorningsStar
TheMorningsStar
-->
@RationalMadman
In college I was talking with someone from Japan who said he grew up in a house with his parents and grandparents.
Essentially, how it worked in his home, was that the kids stay with their parents (and, in his case, his grandmother as well) until they find a partner to move in with, with one child who agrees to stay with the parents (and grandmother) for the purposes of looking after them, even after finding a partner.
The parents (and grandmother) were smart enough to know to give privacy, leave the home for a few hours for meals, shopping, etc.
Then, when the kids are born, the grandparents (and great grandmother) are there to help look after and raise them (no need for baby sitters, no need for daycare, etc.). Cousins would also be dropped off to be looked after if needed.
Grandparents were smart enough to go out with the kids at times to give the parents privacy.

This system makes it easier to raise children, makes it easier to look after the elderly in the family, etc.
That doesn't mean I don't think that you should move out if you and your parents don't get along (like you said, if someone is gay with homophobic parents), but in a functioning family, I genuinely think that this system is better. One of the big advantages is that it doesn't dehumanize the elderly as much as what happens in western countries that just put the elderly in retirement homes.
It saves money, creates a stronger family bond, increases empathy for the elderly in children, etc.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Unpopular opinion:
The age for any type of adult activity should be raised to 25. 
I think sex counts as an adult activity.  If you have had sex before the age of 25, your a hypocrite.

I think the age of consent should be raised to 21.  I’m under 21; I never had sex.